PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Footin'

areamike
01-09-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, we finally got our First "Winter" run in. We unfortunately had to break the 100 degree rule...Unless we measure celsius... :rolleyes:

Air 44 F
Water 35 F

Here's a couple videos. Need Windows Media Player to view.
http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album34
I'm the first one.
We are planning to go again next weekend. Weather is supposed to push into the high forties and low fifties by the weekend.

LOVIN' IT!!! :banana:

sassydog
01-09-2006, 06:11 PM
nice run mike! not a big fan of the music though. last time i heard that song was in Napoleon Dynamite. but i guess i can't talk, Rockman and i crank up Bootylicious before our runs.

rodltg2
01-09-2006, 06:24 PM
thats some chilly water, nice run

M-Funf
01-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Wow, that looks cold... :eek:

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Well I bet you don't have to worry about toughening up your feet, they are probably numb!

Nice video.

areamike
01-09-2006, 07:46 PM
Yeah...the music is just an overlay...It was definately Cold...Feet were hurtin the worse but my hands were great thanks to these.
http://store.barefootcentral.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=272
Definately need to invest in some better Dry-socks. The ones I used were a friends and they were actually only Neoprene socks with a fleece lining. They didn't keep the Cold water out.
The guy I went with has the Pro-Star 190. He has a t- on his Water pump with a shut-off valve. He pumped wamr water from the engine into a 5 gallon bucket so we could put our feet in after each run. It wasn't too bad actually.

erkoehler
01-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Nice job guys!

MarkP
01-09-2006, 08:24 PM
Nice videos. Looks like a blast. Wish I could keep my boat out.

Footin
01-09-2006, 08:26 PM
Guess you didn't have to worry about you feet gettin hot.

Great video.

vegashomeexpert
01-09-2006, 09:54 PM
Looks like you had a blast! Us out west go by the 150 rule... ;)

areamike
01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
Looks like you had a blast! Us out west go by the 150 rule... ;)

COOL! Yes definately a blast!
I was born in Whittier California. So I have that Cold blood by nature, but having lived in Indiana for over 25 years, I've "adapted" to this cold weather I guess. :eek:

P.S.
nice run mike! not a big fan of the music though. last time i heard that song was in Napoleon Dynamite. but i guess i can't talk, Rockman and i crank up Bootylicious before our runs.
I changed the music for ya in my video :D

Cloaked
01-09-2006, 10:45 PM
A smooth standup off the kneeboard. Nice runs. Thanks for sharing.

Leroy
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Cool areamike! Which lake?

areamike
01-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Cool areamike! Which lake?

Lake Freeman, up in Monticello.

hey, and I occasionally work at my companie's office in Carmel. Have to hit ya up for Lunch sometime.

Leroy
01-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Definitely! I'm at the Thomson office at 103rd and Meridian! email me when you are in town!

Lake Freeman, up in Monticello.

hey, and I occasionally work at my companie's office in Carmel. Have to hit ya up for Lunch sometime.

areamike
01-17-2006, 09:34 PM
More videos
http://www.fauxpas.org/modules/xoopsgallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album34

We went again this weekend. This time an "old timer" came along to show us how it is done!!I was speechless to see this 54 year old still out there rippin it up...not to mention in 35F degree water!!!!!!!!!!

Rockman
01-18-2006, 01:33 PM
Very Nice Videos!

Most of ours resemble Off-Roading Tatoo!" :eek:

Drop me a line if you ever need a 3rd or so during the summer. I've been known to frequent the corn fields in Indiana every once in a while. :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-23-2006, 04:51 PM
More videos

We went again this weekend. This time an "old timer" came along to show us how it is done!!I was speechless to see this 54 year old still out there rippin it up...not to mention in 35F degree water!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Hey Hey......lets be careful on the old timer labels. Banana George is getting up there but at 54......this guy has lots of good footin years ahead of him. :toast:

Enjoying the videos while I wait for the ice to melt...thanks for the links

baedriver
01-23-2006, 06:43 PM
Can't wait to start footin and skiing

atlfootr
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Can't wait to start footin and skiingI know plenty of footers in St. Louie!
Have you ever heard of MVS? :guitar:

jbfootin
01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
In wisconsin we use the 64 degree rule...Is the water and air each above 32...OK! :banana: Cold water skiing is great, if for nothing else, bragging rights and to have good stories over an adult beverage later! I can't wait to get back out. Those videos definatly gave me the itch to get out!

jraben8
01-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I know plenty of footers in St. Louie!
Have you ever heard of MVS? :guitar:

I too lived there although it's been a very long time ago... Just during my H.S. years. Very good times...

areamike
01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
In wisconsin we use the 64 degree rule...Is the water and air each above 32...OK! :banana: Cold water skiing is great, if for nothing else, bragging rights and to have good stories over an adult beverage later! I can't wait to get back out. Those videos definatly gave me the itch to get out!

I know what you mean by the "itch"
It got me too...
Looks like we will be goign again this weekend. Air temps should be close to 50, but the water is still under 40F. I finally get to try out my new drysuit and abuse the heck out of it!!!

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 10:32 PM
35* water? You have to be seriously dedicated (and have the right apparrel) to do that.

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I knwo what you mean by the "itch"
It got me too...
Looks like we will be goign again this weekend. Air temps should be close to 50, but the water is still under 40F. I finally get to try out my new drysuit and abuse the heck out of it!!!
I, too, have the "itch". I just don't have the equipment - board shorts don't really work to keep the body temp up.

Larryp
01-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Looks like it will be 75 in Austin on Sunday, water's probably cold though. We are going out bright and early to Travis, no wet suits, don't have one.

jayocheskey
01-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Looks like it will be 75 in Austin on Sunday, water's probably cold though. We are going out bright and early to Travis, no wet suits, don't have one.
Larryp - how long does it take you to get to Austin? I've never seen a good spot to ride on lake Travis - lake Austin was always better conditions for us. You guys stay warm.

areamike
01-26-2006, 11:01 PM
35* water? You have to be seriously dedicated (and have the right apparrel) to do that.

or just plain crazy!

I LOVE IT!!!!

muhahahahahahaha :eek3:

Larryp
01-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Larryp - how long does it take you to get to Austin? I've never seen a good spot to ride on lake Travis - lake Austin was always better conditions for us. You guys stay warm.
Takes 2.4 hours, I live at exit 410 and and travis is about 254. Flying down 35. Man, you can ski at least 35 or 40 miles up either the pedernales or colorado. I been so far up that we were on ranchland and the river was no wider than 20 yards. You had better take some gas though, you will not make it back to the pumps after that long trip. You gotto go. Closer to home is the Brazos on Whitney but my little brother lives in Austin, so there you go.

Leroy
01-28-2006, 07:04 AM
areamike; I don't know how you take that cold! What clothes do you wear under the suit? booties?

Do you drain the block soon as you are out of the lake?

areamike
02-02-2006, 07:25 PM
areamike; I don't know how you take that cold! What clothes do you wear under the suit? booties?

Do you drain the block soon as you are out of the lake?

Hey Leroy.

Actually I put on a pair of thermal underwear first, then a heater shirt. I then put on my Barefoot Suit, and then a pair of thin sweatpants and sometimes a sweatshirt, but I find I get too hot and really start sweating.
I have a pair of Chota Cold weather gloves that keep my hands nice and warm at all times. They get wet, but never cold. As for my feet, I wear SealSkinz waterproof socks. They will keep your feet pretty dry and warm, but for wussies I suggest getting a pair of OC Systems drysocks from barefotocentral.com Store. I wear a Neoprene diving hood to keep my head and ears warm. The main thing is keeping your hands, feet and head warm. You can pretty much wear anything under these drysuits.
The guy I ski with year round has a Mastercraft 190. He has a T with a shut-off valve on his water pump line that he can turn off and on. We use it to put warm water from the block into a 5 gallon bucket to soak your feet in if they do get cold.
He does not drain the block each time. He simply pours antifreeze down the hoses and turns the motor over a few times. He's never had a problem. His boat is in a "boat house" and is pretty well covered from the elements. It still gets cold though.

I'm actually hoping for a light snow that puts some whiteness on the ground so we can get a run in with the "snow effect". Adds to the AWE!