PDA

View Full Version : OH Registration?

erkoehler
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
The OH registration for my trailer plates and stickers on my boat are expiring over this off season, and I need to renew them. Do any of you OH residents know if there is a way to do this online? If not, where can I get the forms to send in for new stickers?

twieder
01-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I've never done it online so i don't know if it's possible. If you have never had the trailer registered in ohio,you'll have to get weighed first. As far as the boat registration,just take title to B.M.V office closest to you, fill out paper work and they'll give you registration sticker. If you're already registered in ohio,you should get info in the mail on getting '06 watercraft sticker.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-09-2006, 05:16 PM
The OH registration for my trailer plates and stickers on my boat are expiring over this off season, and I need to renew them. Do any of you OH residents know if there is a way to do this online? If not, where can I get the forms to send in for new stickers?

For trailer plates...

www.oplates.com

They have a "live help" button during business hours that can be very helpful, if needed.

Not sure about boat reg.

ski_king
01-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Why not just change the registration over to your home state?

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 05:29 PM
The law might finally find out where he is living! :D

ski_king
01-09-2006, 05:30 PM
Dosn't he want to become a law officer?

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
I believe so. I was just poking fun at him. I'm not really sure why he would not want to register it in his home state?

ski_king
01-09-2006, 05:35 PM
....... I'm not really sure why he would not want to register it in his home state?
Tax evasion?

rmc1
01-09-2006, 05:37 PM
it is just like car tags about 6 weeks prior to them expireing you will be sent a notice to renew all you need to do is send it back in with the money or do it online and you will get your sticker before the tags expire. it works the same for your boat registration. have done it that way for years

ski_king
01-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Opps, wrong thread.....

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Opps, wrong thread.....
LOL!!!! :D

Rockman
01-09-2006, 08:27 PM

He's in the witness protection plan...oops, did I say that. Sorry Erk! :D

erkoehler
01-09-2006, 09:06 PM

I had to pay taxes on it once in OH, and to register it in IL I will have to pay again, so I don't really want to do that. So, I was just going to keep it as an OH boat. Doesn't really hurt anything to keep it registered in OH...

erkoehler
01-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Dosn't he want to become a law officer?

Yes, I do.... :D

Footin
01-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I had to pay taxes on it once in OH, and to register it in IL I will have to pay again, so I don't really want to do that. So, I was just going to keep it as an OH boat. Doesn't really hurt anything to keep it registered in OH...

Why did you pay taxes in Ohio? You should not have to!

I bought my boat last year out of state and DID NOT pay taxes until I registared it back in my home state. (of Ohio)

Tom023
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Don't you have to be an Ohio resident, or at least have an address, in order to register it there? Tax problem seems strange, usually you pay the tax in your state when you register/title it.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
01-09-2006, 09:41 PM

I bought my boat last year out of state and DID NOT pay taxes until I registared it back in my home state. (of Ohio)
That's what I'm thinking. I bought mine from a guy in Ohio a few years ago and didn't pay tax until I wanted to get the title switched over here in Wisconsin.

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 12:53 AM
Not sure, I'll have to go back and look at the paperwork to be sure.

twieder
01-10-2006, 10:31 AM

I bought my boat in Indiana and had to pay there then make up the differance back here in Ohio.Indiana was 6.5% and Ohio was at 7%.

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Is there any harm or anything illegal about keeping it registered in OH?? :confused:

Ben
01-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I think the problem would be that you don't have a perm. address there.

If you bought the boat there while living out of state, you shouldn't have paid taxes there. Then, when you applied for plates / reg. where you live, you would have been taxed then.

At least that is what I did about a year ago. Bought a truck in Indiana, then transferred the title (Texas oddly enough) over to michigan & paid MI taxes. There may have been some extra form involved, don't remember.

erkoehler
01-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I think the problem would be that you don't have a perm. address there.

If you bought the boat there while living out of state, you shouldn't have paid taxes there. Then, when you applied for plates / reg. where you live, you would have been taxed then.

At least that is what I did about a year ago. Bought a truck in Indiana, then transferred the title (Texas oddly enough) over to michigan & paid MI taxes. There may have been some extra form involved, don't remember.

I question this because I have my snowmobiles registered in WI w/ my IL address, so I would prefer keeping the boat registered in OH and using my IL address and not paying taxes again.....I'd rather have some extra gas money.

Datdude
01-10-2006, 04:48 PM
If you have proof that you paid taxes in OH, you should not have to pay them in IL. I bought a snowmobile in IL this Fall and paid WI tax in IL. The dealer was responsible for getting that money to the WI DNR. When I registered the sled at the DNR office I showed the bill of sale that had the tax paid and I was all set. Did you buy it from a dealer or private party? I would guess that you would have a hard time registering the boat in OH if you don't live there or keep the boat there(2nd home etc.).

Andyg
01-10-2006, 05:03 PM
I have bought motorcycles out of state several times. Certain states made me pay their taxes and I just had to show my DMV that I paid the taxes in those states and I was able to register it.