PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay state income tax?

vegashomeexpert
01-09-2006, 01:23 PM
What state are you in and what % of income do you pay? Good for me to know in my business. In Nevada, no income tax for residents. The visitors pay it (thank you all!) through slot and entertainment tax.

bcampbe7
01-09-2006, 01:25 PM
No State income tax here in Tennessee, but we do have a 9% sales tax. Each city can add up to (I believe) 1/2% on top of the 9%.

jraben8
01-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Same with us and ours is at 8.25% after all of the govt's and special interests get their hands filled.

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm a resident of Fla so we don't have one.

The best deal I've heard is Alaska. They pay you to be a resident. I had a friend once who used to get a $1500 check every year.

rick s.
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
State Income Tax in California is about 7 to 11% (roughly) depending on income.

M-Funf
01-09-2006, 01:44 PM
State Income Tax in California is about 7 to 11% (roughly) depending on income.

I paid about 9.5% last year in CA. We also pay 8.25% sales tax...

east tx skier
01-09-2006, 01:52 PM
No state income tax in Texas. Our sales tax is now deductible as well.

Brian, that is a handsome avatar you have there.

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Brian, that is a handsome avatar you have there.
Yeah, he looks sharp sitting on the stern of that boat. But, how does he look at 36 mph and 28 off on the stick? 8p

He's my hero. He got in Star Magazine. :D

Tom023
01-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Texas makes up for no state income tax partly in property taxes. Currently my property tax is $3 per $100, which is about three times what I was paying in Michigan. California is just a different animal altogher!

twieder
01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
What state are you in and what % of income do you pay? Good for me to know in my business. In Nevada, no income tax for residents. The visitors pay it (thank you all!) through slot and entertainment tax.
In Ohio it depends on your income as to percentage you pay. Plus sales tax (my county is 6.5%) on what you buy. Most towns also have an income tax ontop of the states and most school districts have additional income tax on top of what we pay on our property tax! Yes we in Ohio are taxed darn near death!

mitch
01-09-2006, 02:30 PM
No sales or income tax in New Hampshire, where our state motto is live free or die :o

123src
01-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Washington has no state income tax.
Oregon, right across the border from me, has no sales tax, but the do have an income tax... around 8% maybe.

twieder
01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
No sales or income tax in New Hampshire, where our state motto is live free or die :o
Ok time to move . It's official Ohio suks. On second thought, flordia got hurricanes, texas gets to darn hot in summer,New Hampshire the seasons to short and its colder there than here. Ohwell guess I'm stuck for now.

Scot
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Ok time to move . It's official Ohio suks. On second thought, flordia got hurricanes, texas gets to darn hot in summer,New Hampshire the seasons to short and its colder there than here. Ohwell guess I'm stuck for now.

Just read that Houston is growing faster than just about any other city... Weather? Yep, hot in the summer.... but look at the averages!

http://www.weather.com/activities/recreation/ski/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=77084&from=36hr_bottomnav_ski

JimN
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Twieder- look at the taxes in WI before you say Ohio sucks. We pay about $.50/gal for the gas tax and the state just voted to stop the automatic annual increase. OTOH, we don't get much lake-effect snow like Ohio and Michigan, so that counts for something.

twieder
01-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Twieder- look at the taxes in WI before you say Ohio sucks. We pay about $.50/gal for the gas tax and the state just voted to stop the automatic annual increase. OTOH, we don't get much lake-effect snow like Ohio and Michigan, so that counts for something.
We've got 46.4Cents per gallon on fuel tax with no refund for offroad use unless you are a farmer then you can write it off. We bont get alot of lake effect here , kinda between lakes erie(east) and Michigan(west)
I guess it doesn't really matter where ya live,the tax man gets ya nomatter what, but i digress. May the sun warm us and the water be perfect SOOOOOOON!!

Leroy
01-09-2006, 03:43 PM
For Indiana State is 3.4% and sales tax is 6%. Each county charges something small also.

For gas state collects 18 and feds 18 cents for total of 36 cents per Gal.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Seems like about 50% here!!!!!:mad: ***!?!??!

Andyg
01-09-2006, 05:31 PM
Property tax - 1.5%-3% of home value depending on where you live.

Income Tax - 4.6%-6.75%

Sales Tax - 5%-5.5%

State Gas Tax - $.299 per gallon (Does not include federal tax)

Automobile Registartion -$55-$77.50

It makes me wonder why I live here sometimes. One of the highest taxed states in the US and only 4 months of summer.

sizzler
01-10-2006, 03:41 AM
dont get me started boys........you could not handle the taxes here

bucky
01-10-2006, 07:12 AM
Oklahoma- income tax in the 5-6% range. The sales tax in town is 10.75%. But, the taxes this year on 2000 ft2 house and 30x30 shop, 2 barns and 4.5 acres was less than $650. I get my gas tax back (farm), and Texas is 15 miles away, where there is no sales tax on food.
Edit: Sizzler- could you explain that VAT, because I must be misunderstanding something.

JimN
01-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Sizzler- you're right, but the difference may that we wouldn't handle it, not couldn't. We just don't like high taxes here and we like to complain a lot. Your taxes and energy costs are pretty crippling, IIRC.

Andy- you forgot about the "temporary" stadium tax- .15% added to the local sales tax of 5.5%. Didn't they just extend that until 2013?

Farmer Ted
01-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Oklahoma- income tax in the 5-6% range. The sales tax in town is 10.75%. But, the taxes this year on 2000 ft2 house and 30x30 shop, 2 barns and 4.5 acres was less than $650. I get my gas tax back (farm), and Texas is 15 miles away, where there is no sales tax on food.
Edit: Sizzler- could you explain that VAT, because I must be misunderstanding something.

VAT= Value Added Tax, when I lived in England it was around 18% if I recall correctly, in Germany it was closeto that but since I was in a NATO unit we were able to get a tax refund form and most places gave us an additional 20% NATO discount.

The UK also has Road Tax and TV tax, don't get caught not paying either of these or you'll end up in with a hefty fine.

twieder
01-10-2006, 09:26 AM
The last big writeup I read concerning taxes said it took the average American until june 12 to earn enough to pay taxes!That included fed,state,local,fuel,etc.Think about it and that comes up to just under 50% of your income for the year! All I want to know is where does it all go. :rant:

Dan K
01-10-2006, 09:38 AM
dont get me started boys........you could not handle the taxes here

Sizzler, If you recall the whole revolution was caused by the high taxes. You would think they learned something by that.

Seriously, whenever I have had discussions with my European friends we have concluded that there is a lot of value in the taxes they pay. For instance higher education, great public transportation and government health and pension plans. All of these are lacking here in the US and we still have relatively high taxes.

JimN
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
I think we need a breakdown of where every tax dollar goes. To be honest, I would like to see this anyway. Out in public, for everyone to see. I seriously doubt that the representatives and senators would want this, though. We would see how much money is being pi$$ed away and what it was going toward. OTOH, they don't pay any taxes on their income and have a GREAT pension plan.

:rant: :firejump: :eek3:

sizzler
01-10-2006, 11:07 AM
jimN.....you are correct...we just sit back and take it like a 2-bit crack-wh0re...

DanK......some of this is true.....but too much of our money goes on foreigners seeking to live here and blow us up........

we may pay 40% income tax,and then about 10% NI tax ,but we have so many smaller"stealth taxes" that fleece us rotten....a TV license fee for re-runs..astupidly high road tax.....and then to cap it all we have one of the highest prices for fuel in the known universe......

oh...and VAT...at 17.5% is reedddikkulus.....buy something and then put that on top........

get me a flight outta here

Upper Michigan Prostar190
01-10-2006, 11:27 AM
I have no idea what the income tax in Michigan is, but YES, I do pay it!!! I dont even wanna know. I just give all my stuff to my accountant every year and say "here, you work this out". thats what I pay him for. I just write the check, he does the math. For some reason, Engineers dont handle accounting well, at least I dont. I just leave it to the pro.

Leroy
01-10-2006, 12:07 PM
I email every elected official I can, show me a budget statement I can read and understand where my money goes. There is too little accountability for what is spent now. No response back yet.

I think we need a breakdown of where every tax dollar goes. To be honest, I would like to see this anyway. Out in public, for everyone to see. I seriously doubt that the representatives and senators would want this, though. We would see how much money is being pi$$ed away and what it was going toward. OTOH, they don't pay any taxes on their income and have a GREAT pension plan.

:rant: :firejump: :eek3:

BrianM
01-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Louisiana is pretty bad on Taxes.

State Income tax (Over $25k there is a 2% and 4% bracket under) 6%

Sales tax (State is 4% plus municiple which is 4.75% to 5.25% depending on area) 8.75% to 9.25%

We have it pretty good for property tax. $200,000 primary residence is about $1,500 a year

Vehicle Registration: Cars $25 2 year Trucks $40 4 year

Vehicle insurance and home owners insurance is some of the highest in the nation.

Businesses take it up the a** on their taxes.

For all of this we get bad roads, bad schools, corrupt politicians and hurricanes but I can ski rear round and 9 months of that in shorts. :D

east tx skier
01-10-2006, 03:02 PM
You've got me beat on property taxes by a long shot (and I pay a lot less than they do in Dallas, Houston, or Austin last I checked).