PDA

View Full Version : bimini up or down for towing?

vegashomeexpert
01-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Do you tow with your binini up, but in the pretty "sac" that says mastercraft on it? Or do you lower it into the boat and lay it on the floor/seat while towing? Just wondering what the cons are for towing with it up. (I see a lot of people with "other" boats doing it.)

Todd Brosius
01-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I have an '04 Prostar 197 with a bimini but NO tower and I'll tow mine in the boot position around the lake but down the highway or interstate I'll lay it on the floor. I through bolted my brackets into the fiberglass with big washers underneath but I don't like the side to side motion of the bimini while traveling at high speeds. I think in puts a lot of pressure on those brackets. Previous to '04 I believe the bimini mounted to the windshield on the 197s and 209s so I can not speak about how that might perform at highway speeds. Hope that helps.

X-45
01-08-2006, 01:31 PM
I tow with it down. I just thing it will last longer. This would have been a good poll question.

:firejump: :D :firejump:

vegashomeexpert
01-08-2006, 01:33 PM
I tow with it down. I just thing it will last longer. This would have been a good poll question.

:firejump: :D :firejump:
Wud half to be kmputer litrate to start a pole ;)

Sodar
01-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Do you tow with your binini up, but in the pretty "sac" that says mastercraft on it? Or do you lower it into the boat and lay it on the floor/seat while towing? Just wondering what the cons are for towing with it up. (I see a lot of people with "other" boats doing it.)

Since you have a tower, I would imagine your bimini is mounted up there. The only thing I have ever seen happen was on my buddy's Malibu when one of the straps on the bimini got loose from the boot("sac") and nicked the tower really bad. I personally lay mine on the floor because the boot rubs the gelcoat when I leave it in front of the windshield. So, I guess as long as the straps are wrapped tight inside and it does not rub anything when it is in the wind, it is fine.

BriEOD
01-08-2006, 01:57 PM
I tow with mine up to and from the river: 30 minutes, 50-60 mph. I have rear stanchions that keep it propped up.

flipper
01-08-2006, 02:44 PM
I use to tow mine with it in the boot up on the tower until on a windy day I lost the boot and broke one of the brackets off of the binimi top. It's quick to just take it down, less worry for me.

P-hat_in_Cincy
01-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I tow with ours down unless we're making the local 10min. trip to the lake. On our former X10 I had noticed (at least I think I did) additional drag when towing with it up on the highway, the velcro straps that held the bimini to the tower started to fray (sp?), and bugs would commit suicide on the bimini cover if left up (the cover isn't as easy to wipe down).

I never tow with it deployed.

Jerseydave
01-08-2006, 06:15 PM
I have a 2003 230 VRS, same boat as your X30.
My bimini is mounted on the windshield frame. I tow with it up, never had a problem, although the mounting is more rigid than some other set-ups.

Safer to tow with it down, however and would keep the bug juice off the bimini boot!

jimmer2880
01-08-2006, 07:31 PM
Down. Unless I'm not going to go more than 30 mph.

sand2snow22
01-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I tow with it down. I've towed with the boot on, but towing with it down keeps the bugs off.

east tx skier
01-08-2006, 10:09 PM
I unscrew mine from the windshield and lay it in the floor of the boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2006, 01:08 AM
I just pop the two forward quick release latches on each side, leave the rear one on each side in, and let the Bimini and hardware rest on the engine cover. Then I put the cover ON and tow it. It has been the best solution, no bugs, no wear and tear, and its up and ready in seconds...

tex
01-09-2006, 09:19 AM
I have a tower and tow with mine up and in the bag. I don't have the pretty logo on it!

River Rat
01-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I unscrew mine from the windshield and lay it in the floor of the boat.

same here, it only takes a minute

jkski
01-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I have a tower on a PS197 and have towed both ways with no real difference. The downside to towing with it in the upright position is that the bag/cover does tend to get a lot of road grime and bugs on it. It is easy enough to take it down and put it back up, and with the price that we pay for these things, you'll want to get the every bit of life out of it, so, lay it on the floor.

SteveO
01-09-2006, 12:21 PM
Gotta love this board. You guys can make me worry about things I never thought about worrying over. I have the tower mounted bimini on the boat and have to this point always left it on when towing. I keep the bimini cover on with the Mastercraft letters to the front (want anybody coming at me on land and water to know what's coming at them)

M-Funf
01-09-2006, 12:25 PM
I tow with it down. I tried the rear stanchions, but the bimini waggled side to side when I towed with it up. It made me nervous :o , so I put it down.

Maristar210
01-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I leave mine on and open since I tow it from my garage four houses down to the launch. Sorry I had to.... :toast:

I'm on the list for a slip at the "marina" then I'll park the trailer all summer. :banana:

Steve

tex
01-09-2006, 01:34 PM
If i lower mine against the motor cover, it leaves blue marks. As I said before, I tow w/mine up unless it is a long distance. If I am cruising for a long time, i duct tape a white towel around mine and lay it down against the motor cover.

tex
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Wait, did I say that I did all this...No, I sit in the truck as Inga does it!

jmyers
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
I tow with it up on the tower in it's "purty" MC cover! Seems to be fine, and it's a snap to put up when we get there! :D

88 PS190
01-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I take them down, I don't have a tower, if i had a tower i'd secure it to it and leave it up, but for me i'd rather have it down so there is less risk of it letting go.

vegashomeexpert
01-09-2006, 02:17 PM
I leave mine on and open since I tow it from my garage four houses down to the launch. Sorry I had to.... :toast:

I'm on the list for a slip at the "marina" then I'll park the trailer all summer. :banana:

Steve
I would love to be in that situation! Poor guy. :rolleyes:

limegreen
05-26-2006, 01:37 AM
Mine is attached to my windshield even though I have a tower. It can't be up when towing at least if I want to have the MC towing cover on the boat.

I don't know how to fold it and put it in the sock and leave it up?