PDA

View Full Version : LT1 Concerns

Killerack
01-08-2006, 08:52 AM
I've been searching for a newer 90's Prostar 205 over the last several months and ran across something interesting. A majority of the MC's with the LT1's tend to have been replaced or needed major service.

Does anyone know if there has been a problem in the past with this engine, or is this just neglect?

Flatwaterfooter
01-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I have not had a single problem with my LT-1 in my 95 nor have I heard it being a problem. I have only heard good things about the motor

Jim@BAWS
01-08-2006, 12:22 PM
The LT-1 is a great package. Lots of relaible power. The LT-1 needs to be serviced and maintained like any other motor.

Good motor !!!

Jim@BAWS

I've been searching for a newer 90's Prostar 205 over the last several months and ran across something interesting. A majority of the MC's with the LT1's tend to have been replaced or needed major service.

Does anyone know if there has been a problem in the past with this engine, or is this just neglect?

Sodar
01-08-2006, 01:40 PM
I too have an LT-1 in my 1996 190 and I have had no issues with it. 500 hours and still pumpin'!!

kpickett
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
I've had my '94 w/ LT-1 for a year and a half with no problems at all. I've been warned not to overheat it, but you don't want to do that with any engine. I'm constantly impressed by the power of this engine.

flipper
01-08-2006, 03:07 PM
The only problem that I have herd of on any stock MC, is the bolts on the alternator break off. It sounded like MC noticed the problem and replace them for free. I don't have one, so do know for sure.

Jim@BAWS
01-08-2006, 03:19 PM
The only problem that I have herd of on any stock MC, is the bolts on the alternator break off. It sounded like MC noticed the problem and replace them for free. I don't have one, so do know for sure.

WRONG MOTOR...It was not a MC Problem at all. Indmar the Marinization
Company that produces the 330 HP LTR has the BAD ALTERNATOR Bracket problem.

flipper
01-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Sory, ment to say "stock motor in a MC". but either way, wrong motor. I thought it was a LT1 that my buddy has and the brackets broke, guess not.

Jorski
01-08-2006, 06:20 PM
1993 LT-1....1300 hours. runs like a clock and pulls like a freight train!

Scot
01-09-2006, 11:22 AM
I have a '95 LT1 with 660 hours. I bought it spring 05 from a member on this site, original owner. It runs perfect and according the the previous owner, it has never had any major issues.

I'm sure he will chime in here when he sees your post....

Andyg
01-09-2006, 12:38 PM
I bought my 97 LT-1 with 600+ Hrs on it and put on several hundred more in the years I owned it. Below is a list of what I had to repair on it in the time I owned it.

Replaced Alternator and Automatic Tensioner - The automatic tensioner spring broke and caused the alternator bracket to brake or vice versa who knows.

Replaced the Starter - I believe the previous owners filled the bilge with water and got it wet. The starter was full of rust.

IAC was replaced. The engine wasn't idling properly and the dealer replaced the Idle Air Control (IAC).

I replaced the oil seal for the shaft driven water pump in the front of the timing cover. It took me three attempts to get the seal installed properly. That seal leaked prior to me owning it.

Replaced the fuel pump twice. I bought the first fuel pump from SKIDIM and it only lasted one season. The second pump I bought from my local dealership and that pump has another 200-300 hours on it.

The current owner is a friend of mine and has put on another 150+ hrs with no problems.

Sodar
01-23-2006, 01:20 AM
I am getting ready to do a pre-season tune-up on my LT-1 and I am trying to get the part numbers for the things I need. The boat is at my parents vacation house about 200 miles away, so I can not look at the boat to get part numbers.... Does anyone know the part numbers to any of the following??

Oil Filter?
Oil Grade?
Spark Plugs?
Impeller?

I already got the belt, fuel filter, trans filter and thermostat. Am I leaving anything out? Thanks so much for your help!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Not FREE, Mine is still in need of the upgraded bracket, I'll have to see what its going to cost me in another month or two. but this is the MCX anyway, not the same engine asked about here.

mtripper
01-23-2006, 04:50 PM

I also had a 94 lt1 and the alternator bracket broke once and the bolt broke once. Other then that it was a great trouble free powerfull motor, put almost 1000 hours on it.

kpickett
01-23-2006, 07:56 PM

Actually, I should have said, the LT-1 has been fantastic, except that the alternator bolts have broken on me three times. It definitely is a (minor) problem on this engine. More of a pain in the butt than a problem. I love the engine.