PDA

View Full Version : Where to put a Depth Guage on an X7?

andymcq
01-07-2006, 09:17 PM
I've have an '05 X7 with the MCX engine. I'd like to put a subtle looking depth finder on it (e.g. Hummingbird 2") but there is no where to put the guage. The MCX has the cruise control switches and a remote for the stereo in front of the throttle, so you can't put it there.

I see that some MC models have the depth guage built into the tacho. Does anyone know if you need a completely new tacho and sender to install this or does the existing tacho come ready to fit a sender to it? Also what sort of cost is involved?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SKI*MC
01-07-2006, 09:23 PM
I would think that your boat has one, but maybe it is the Perfect Pass that has the depth finder with it..

Footin
01-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Does it have a round clock? thats where I put mine.

88 PS190
01-07-2006, 09:50 PM
There are custom enclosures for guages that are offered in the same gel coat colors as your boat, you can find a suitable one that would fit on your dash. Or you can build a mounting location into the vinyl, but that isn't as reversable.

Leroy
01-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Hello Andy;

Can you post a picture of the dash so we know exactly what you have?

Todd Brosius
01-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Being an '05, your tach gauge should be set up to handle the depth finder option. I believe all you need to do is purchase Mastercraft's option of the depth finder, mount the transducer IN THE CORRECT LOCATION ON THE HULL and then it should simply plug into the wiring on the tach or wiring harness underneath the dash. My dealer mounted mine so I do NOT have personal experience but I'm positive it's NOT rocket science. I'm guessing you'll have to purchase the Mastercraft option so the wiring will connect with the wiring harness on the tach or under the dash. It's very important that the transducer be mounted in the correct location on the hull or the depth finder will NOT work properly, that I have personal experience with as my dealer mounted my transducer in the wrong spot initially.

georgea0731
01-08-2006, 10:26 PM
I have an 04 X7, but wanted the old traditional 2" gauge, easier to see then the new digital one. I went to the factory and verified my dash was like the 03 dash which had 3 gauges on both sides. It did, but the 04 dash panel covered a hole on each side. So we drilled out one hole on the right side for the depth gauge. The actual gauge was to deep and had to be switch with the gauge to the left (don't remember if it was volt or gas?). So now right side has 3 gauges and left side still has 2. I got a gauge face/cover in white with chrome ring to almost match my original gauges.
I also had the factory folks show me where to mount the transducer inside the boat, behind the engine. There's a picture under my folder on this website, rear under panel with a flat spot. I hope it helps.
Good luck!