PDA

View Full Version : Impeller repair costs

Fan
09-12-2004, 12:28 PM
I am happy to have found this site. Thanks to all of you for the information provided. I have found little regarding the impeller. I have a 1984 Stars N Stripes that I am bringing back to usable. I wanted to begin the process of running the engine and thought it a good idea to remove and check the impeller before doing so. Removal was easy enough and in taking it apart, I found the impeller itself to be in pretty good shape. It is soft and does turn in the housing. However, the housing is very rusty and corroded. I assume that this should be cleaned, the small "O" ring replaced and the gasket replaced. My question is should the impeller be replaced and are they expensive? Also, do most of you carry a spare with you? Thanks for your information, and I am sure I will have many more questions. I am reading the forums first for answers, but didn't find much on this subject.

John B
09-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Fan,
I change my impeller each year. That is more often then you real need to but a new impeller with gasket is only about $35.Overheating your motor can be big $$$$ and it can wreck a good ski day.I don't have a spare one but I should. :D

I all most forgot WELCOME ABOARD and I glad you found us. :toast:

erkoehler
09-12-2004, 01:41 PM
welcome to the site. It would be cool to see some photos of the boat!!

NeilM
09-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Fan, welcome to the forum!

If the entire impeller casing is in rough shape (corroded) I would think you should replace it.

Have a look at skidim.com They list complete raw water pumps as well as parts.

John B
09-12-2004, 02:13 PM
There is one on eBay too.Not sure it the right one,but here it is: :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50442&item=2489169189&rd=1

MasterCrafting
09-12-2004, 04:27 PM
We carry a spare because the impeller on our friends chris craft fell apart and almost super overheated.

Fan
09-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Wow! Thanks for the responses. I believe the housing can be cleaned and reused. The only part that is rusted/corroded can be cleaned. The area where the impeller spins is not corroded only where the gasket attaches. If this is cleaned can it still be used? Also, I went to skidim.com and was unable to determine which part is would be for the '84 Stars N Stripes. It appears to have a 351 Windsor, would that be correct? Someone has fitted ( and badly I might add) a Holley double pumper carb. They used rubber hose over the existing fuel line to connect to the manifold for the double pumper. I believe that the original Holley is still available from the original owner. Would I be better off rebuilding it and putting it back on? The double pumper does not appear to be a marine carburetor. Thanks again for information and your prompt responses. I will be picking up an additional impeller once I determine which one is the corrrect one to get. I am in Phoenix so I have Arizona Mastercraft Boats here. I have heard they are a good source for parts. I am just trying to save some on the labor. I would like to get this running and be sure I like it before I decide to rebuild it.

ski_king
09-12-2004, 08:31 PM
Just give Discount Inboard Marine a call and they will tell you exactly what parts you need. I have a 82 Stars and Stripes and they have been a big help to me.

The water pump on ebay right now is for a Indmar conversion, your boat has a PCM.

It is hard to say about which carb to use. I would lean towards getting the orginal rebuilt.

jimmer2880
09-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Get a MARINE 4160 asap! There is a reason why Marine carb's are manufactured. Personally - I don't want my boat to ever explode - or catch fire. That's why if it was originally marine - it stays marine (not just carbs).

Your original may have been a 4010. If that's the case, then I wouldn't bother re-building it & switch to a 4160. There are many others on this board who have had their problems with the 4010's....

Welcome to the board!

H20skeefreek
09-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Get a MARINE 4160 asap! There is a reason why Marine carb's are manufactured. Personally - I don't want my boat to ever explode - or catch fire. That's why if it was originally marine - it stays marine (not just carbs).

Your original may have been a 4010. If that's the case, then I wouldn't bother re-building it & switch to a 4160. There are many others on this board who have had their problems with the 4010's....

Welcome to the board!

an '82 S&S should have a 4160 if it's a small block. I believe the 4110 was a later model. you could go with a 4150 as well, I believe the difference is that the air/fuel ratio can be changed on the secondaries, whereas on the 4160, they cannot.

if it's not a marine carb, get that off of there PRONTO. don't want to burn that S&S down to the waterline. Now if it was a '85 correct craft that'd be a different story. :D

Fan
09-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Thanks to everyone for the information. The double pumper comes off. If the original is a 4110 it will be replace with a 4160 or 4150. I will get the original this week. I will call Discount Inboard Marine for info on my impeller. Man, do I have a lot to learn. I thought my Jensen Healey was complicated.

JimN
09-13-2004, 12:29 PM
British cars can be pretty cool, but they're usually a PITA. Thank You, Lucas Electric(Prince of Darkness).

You know why British men drink warm beer?

bcampbe7
09-13-2004, 12:35 PM
As an owner of a Land Rover, I agree with the PITA response, Jimn.

Oh, and I'll ask why British drink warm beer???

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 07:04 PM
If it's a 4010, I'd agree you ought to replace it. I researched pretty thoroghly before buying the 4160 from skidim. Indmar is currently putting the 4150 on its carb engines. However, the only place you'll probably be able to find the 4150 marine with vacuum secondaries is indmar. Every 4150 I saw had mechanical secondaries. Indmar wants about $750 for the 4150. I picked up the 4160 from DIM for $429. Runs like a charm.

Thrall
09-13-2004, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the site Fan. The guys at MC of AZ are pretty good to deal with. They worked on a difficult problem on my boat and kept in mind that I didn't have the same budget as they guy w/ a new $50k boat.
Go down there and talk to Donavan, service mgr. He will have the correct impeller and they are not over priced ($35 for my 96 PS). Also, they will help you with repair procedures, maint procedures, etc.

JimN
09-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Q "Why do British men drink warm beer?"

A Lucas Refrigeration.