PDA

View Full Version : Outback bowl refs

bcampbe7
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the Outback bowl refs?
I am an Iowa fan (grew-up around IC) but Florida fans have to admit those refs were shady.
Check out this image of the onside kick that Iowa recovered but was penalized for offsides!
The other calls I can think of are:
On the opening kickoff the Florida player said "Kick" when asked if he wanted to kick or defer. He said Kick, giving the ball to Iowa to start the game. The ref then announced that Florida chose to defer. When the ref was questioned he said that the Florida player meant to say defer!
On another play, Florida had 12 on the field but was not penalized.

I know, I know, it's not going to change the outcome of the game but dang the refs need to be on top of things a little better than this.

loeweb
01-06-2006, 03:20 PM
I agree. Im not an Iowa fan by any means, but I would have liked to see them win over Florida. Overall i think this was one of the best year of close bowl games that I can remember. Right now you are seeing a lot of parridy in college football. Teams are very equal and on any given weekend, someone could go down, at least if its a top 25 team that is.

on the same note, the officiating was the biggest disappointment that I saw. If college football wants to use replay in bowl games, then they need officials from conferences that use replay. It makes it very tough for an officiating crew to come in to probably the biggest game they have ever done, and ask them to use replay, something they have never been around, and don't know situations when to use it. My big beef is with the alamo bowl using Sun Belt officials that never used replay before.

there needs to be some continuity amongst bowl expectations and officials capabilities so that there aren't big disappointing losses that should not happen. Like I said I am not an Iowa fan by any means, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't sick when I saw that offsides call that eventually cost them at least a chance to come back and win that game. :twocents:

BriEOD
01-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Beau... :cry:

Just admit it you got beat by a better team! (kidding)

I didn't see the game. Although, I was disappointed with the FSU game. Also, Miami had a let down. I route for all 3 Fla teams.

Go Gators!

bcampbe7
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Hey Beau... :cry:

Just admit it you got beat by a better team! (kidding)

I didn't see the game. Although, I was disappointed with the FSU game. Also, Miami had a let down. I route for all 3 Fla teams.

Go Gators!

BAH!

I also realize that had Iowa not dinked around the 1st half and gotten themselves down 24-7 they would not have needed the onside kick.
I should also mention that being a Tennessee grad, I don't care for Florida at all. It's all good though. :friday:

Farmer Ted
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Iowa beat Iowa in this game.

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060104/SPORTS020502/301040004/1001/NEWS

League tells Hawkeyes: Call was wrong
Conference USA acknowledges its officials made an incorrect call on an onside kick near the end of the Outback Bowl

By BRYCE MILLER
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
Copyright 2006, Des Moines Register and Tribune Co.

January 4, 2006

Controversial officiating in the Outback and Alamo bowls, as well complaints from angry Iowans, has prompted the NCAA to agree to discuss how game officials are selected and evaluated.

Meanwhile, the coordinator of Conference USA officials admitted that representatives of his conference made an incorrect call Monday on an end-of-game onside kick in Florida's 31-24 Outback victory against Iowa.

The Outback Bowl featured a number of controversial calls, including an offside penalty on the onside kick the Hawkeyes recovered with just more than one minute remaining. Television replays seemed to show that no Iowa player was offside on the play.

Gerald Austin, coordinator of Conference USA officials, released a statement after being called by The Des Moines Register on Tuesday.

"Out of approximately 175 plays in this game, we have five under specific review — including an important call at the end of the game. We do teach our officials that toward the end of the game, the calls should clearly be a foul. In this case, the onside kickoff call was too technical and should not have been made."

Dennis Poppe, managing director for NCAA football, said he personally received "a couple hundred" e-mails in the 24 hours after Iowa fell to Florida.

Poppe said the topic of officiating crew selection and evaluation will be part of spring meetings.

"It will be on the agenda," he said.

University of Iowa athletic director Bob Bowlsby said there is no recourse for his university at this point, but he said he believes the Outback and Alamo controversies should prompt a review of the procedures.

"When you see a crew that was obviously over their head in our game and obviously over their head in Michigan-Nebraska game, it will stimulate a lot of discussion," Bowlsby said.

"Take an officiating crew from the Sun Belt Conference. If those guys were as good as the guys we have working in our league, they would be working in our league."
National television announcers heavily criticized Conference USA officiating in the Outback Bowl, as well as Sun Belt Conference officials' handling of the Alamo Bowl between Nebraska and Michigan.

In the Alamo Bowl, ESPN's Mike Tirico railed at the officiating as Nebraska rallied to stun the Wolverines, 32-28, on Dec. 28.

The final play of that game included a multi-lateral play in which Michigan continued to run toward the goal line for a potential winning touchdown even though players, media and others had wandered onto the field. Many questioned why a penalty wasn't called on the wild, final play.

Poppe said that NCAA crew selection and protocol have been consistent for years, but that the Outback and Alamo bowl games will create a new discussion about the process.

"It's something that hasn't been an issue, until this year," Poppe said.

How officiating crews are selected for bowl games, according to Poppe:

• The NCAA determines which conferences will provide crews for each bowl game, ensuring neutrality by making sure the crews do not represent one of the participating teams.

• Individual conferences determine the members of the crew.

"The conferences pick those crews," Poppe said. "The thinking is they're putting their best crew out there, however they determine their best crew."

Outback Bowl representative Mike Schulze said his bowl has not received this much response related to game calls in his 17 years with the bowl.

"From an officiating standpoint, no," Schulze said.

Derrick Fox, president and CEO of the Alamo Bowl, said this is the first time in his 13 years with that game that there was a significant issue with officials.

Fox and bowl officials directed fans on their Web site to the Sun Belt Conference. Fox confirmed that Outback Bowl officials asked for a copy of the Alamo's press release after that game to deal with the high volume of fan response.

"One of the things we need to address, moving forward, is to talk about how bowl officials can file a report or evaluation," Fox said.

"That doesn't exist right now. One of the things we've asked, we want to submit a report following our game to report on the officials and those types of things."

Fox said discussions need to be measured and well thought out, rather than knee-jerk.

"Just because a crew from a conference had a bad game doesn't mean every crew from that conference will have bad games," Fox said. "Guilt by association isn't really fair, in that sense."

Fox acknowledged that fan reaction for the Alamo Bowl has been draining.

"Absolutely," Fox said. "We had the most-watched bowl game in ESPN history, but it's kind of like, ‘How about the game? It was a great game wasn't it?’ ’’

bradamerry
01-09-2006, 08:34 AM
Lsu Rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BriEOD
01-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Nick Saban is doing pretty well in pros, eh Brad?

bradamerry
01-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Nick Saban is doing pretty well in pros, eh Brad?
better than most thought he would. :D

mbeach
01-09-2006, 09:02 AM
bcampbe -- horrible calls in that game. definitely 3rd teir refs. farmer's post sums up what i was going to say. i do not think the review rule allows for it, but if this call had been reviewed iowa would have had another shot. they were on a roll and would have been hard to stop. q1 absolutely killed them.