PDA

View Full Version : Wiring instructions for Tower lights

Skiufool
09-12-2004, 02:48 AM
I just purchased some tower lights and they did not come with any installation instructions. I'm wondering if it would just be easier to have someone install them for me, rather than having to drill through the tower to run the wires around the hinge (collapsible tower). Anybody with any experience with this? The lights have 3 wires, 2 blue and 1 yellow (ground, positive & negative???)

Rice
09-12-2004, 04:59 AM
Does your tower have a nav light? I just ran my tower lights through the same holes as the wires for the nav light. No drilling involved.

Skiufool
09-14-2004, 03:24 AM
No, no nav lights on the tower

tex
09-28-2004, 10:22 AM
i ran my wires. it is a pain in the ars. The gauge of wire makes it hard to run a fish tape. I ran my tape with string attached and then pulled the string back. Next I attached the wire and pulled it. Time consuming but it worked. I ran down driver's side and around the hinge. email me if you want more specifics-Tex-

kalanic
04-12-2006, 04:15 PM
My X-10 came with a bare zero-flex tower. I have recently wired the tower speakers & getting ready to wire a 5-light bar. Question is can I run the Light Bar wires directly to 1 of the 3 acc. switches or do I need to go from the switch to a relay then to the battery. Do I need a relay or can the switches handle the light bar?

SD190EVO
04-12-2006, 04:33 PM
Math.

I can't recall the current rate of those switches but they are probably 20 or 30A.

Now you take your lights, lets say they are 50W each. At 12V, thats (50/12=x) 4.2A each. Multiplied by the 5 that you have that would be 21A.

Given that you are using a heavy guage wire (a small guage wire will cause resistance and use up some of your available current) you'd probably be ok if it is a 25A switch and certainly be fine if it a 30A but you'd be out of luck if it is only 20A.

The side of the switch will say what current it will handle.

kalanic
04-12-2006, 04:43 PM
I will have to look at the switch to see what it says. I would think Mastercraft installed the switches for applications like this!

kalanic
04-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Do you have to run the electrical oposite of the speaker wires inside the tower?

flipper
04-12-2006, 08:43 PM
Make sure to put plugs on the wires. I have one plug for the lights, and one for the speakers. That way taking the tower off or folding it will be easier. The plugs are round with four pins each.

rodltg2
04-12-2006, 08:47 PM
if you cant use or dont have a fish tape, you can use a thin piece of string on one end and a wet vac on the other end, suck the string through and then pull a thicker string though that can handled the pull of the wires... :twocents:

DrNautica
04-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Best way to fish wires through a tower.

Strip a 10' section of #14 romex wire and remove the ground (plain copper) conductor. Use this ground conductor to fish your wiring. It is stiff enough to be able to push up into the tower, yet flexible enough to go wherever you need it. Cut an 8" piece of the same 14 gauge wire and bend a small hook in one end. With this hook, you can easily capture the fish wire as it passes any opening you have drilled and pull it down out of the tower.

It works VERY well. The bare copper is also slippery enough that it doesn't have a lot of friction when pulling against any resistance as string would. I have also had luck with using nylon heavy gauge gas lawn trimmer string. But you have to get it to straighten out first. The copper is superior in my humble opinion.

kalanic
04-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Thank You For All The Pointers!

kalanic
05-01-2006, 08:20 PM
FIshing wire through towers is no fun task! PERIOD! Finally wired my tower for my tower lights...what a job!