PDA

View Full Version : Spam Filter ?? Anyone?

PendO
01-06-2006, 01:32 PM
I use outlook express for my email, but the inbox is being overrun daily with spam. Would it be any different if I switched to Microsoft Outlook? Is there a 3rd party software that works well w/o rejecting emails from non-spammers? I'm just getting tired of deleting 50 messages a day.

TIA - Casey

mrcrowson
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
switching to Office will not help you unless you set up some Rules. I use a program that catches lots of spam for me. (eTrust ezAntivirus) (http://store.digitalriver.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayHomePage&SiteID=caconsum&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE)

Good luck

bigmac
01-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I use ChoiceMail (http://www.digiportal.com/) for the last couple of years. It is a "permission based" SPAM filter. It's nice in that all email, except for addresses in your email client's address book (Outlook Express or whatever and addresses that you put on your "whitelist") gets sent an email asking them to send you an email asking for permission to send you email. They only have to do that once, then they have permission forever. Naturally, SPAM senders won't respond to that email that Choicemail sends them since their return address is bogus.

The email it sends to every unknown sender sending me email:
Hello, you recently sent an email message to (my name).
Because of the high volume of SPAM in Internet communications these days, my email is filtered at the POP3 server. I regret that I do not already have your email address in my whitelist. That is why this note has been sent to you.

Please click on the link below to verify your identity.

%[Click here to verify your identity]%

When your browser opens, fill in your name and a short reason for wishing to send e-mail to me. Your message will be delivered to me after I review this information.

There is no need to send your original message again.

The information you provide will only be seen by me and is not saved by DigiPortal Software for any purpose.

Please be aware that a response is required within %d day(s) to prevent your messages from being automatically deleted.

Once you name has been added to my email whitelist, there will be no further need to go through this challenge-response in the future. Your emails will be passed through automatically.

I regret that the volume of SPAM on the Internet is such that this type of filtering system is necessary. I know this process is irritating and if you wish to forgo this registration process and not send me email, I will understand completely. But, in over 10,000 emails over the last several months, more than 90% are SPAM or some other form of unsolicited communication. Thank you for understanding.

Choicemail is very customizable. The only problem I have with it is that if I place an online order from some comany I've never dealt with before, I have to go back through the "user's awaiting permission" list to get that order acknowledgement and add their address to the whitelist.

Works for me. You can set up filtering rules if you want, so that you can exclude individual addresses, domains, or keywords. I have found that people who need to legimately want to email you respond to the automated response without complaint, and often want to know the name of the program.

http://mccollister.info/choicemail.jpg

east tx skier
01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Outlook 2003, based on my experience, will not be an improvement. Ever since we upgraded, spam has been through the roof. Most of these spammers change their address each day, so blocking it does nothing. Used to be that you could forward spam to the State prosecutor's office and they would investigate, but that got shut down. Now I just put it in our adminstrator's spam folder.

ski_king
01-06-2006, 03:29 PM
what so bad about Spam anyway?
http://spam.com/assets/hp/GoodGone3_animation.gif

Recently upgraded from Outlook Express to Outlook at work, the ampunt of spam quadrupiled at the same time. The use of the junk email filters help though.

Tom023
01-06-2006, 03:30 PM
I agree Outlook will not be an improvement. We just went to it in the office and I think the amount of spam has increased. I try setting up rules but as mentioned earlier, spammers are so good at changing their addresses and message subjects you cannot stay ahead of it. Funny thing is that I have had the same email address at home for over 5 years and get almost no spam, maybe one or two a month. Perhaps my ISP (Roadrunner) has good filtering.

east tx skier
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
My yahoo account has great filtering.

Ric
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
I use outlook express for my email, but the inbox is being overrun daily with spam. Would it be any different if I switched to Microsoft Outlook? Is there a 3rd party software that works well w/o rejecting emails from non-spammers? I'm just getting tired of deleting 50 messages a day.

TIA - Casey
pendo, how'd you change your name and still not get your camera icon ??

PendO
01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
pendo, how'd you change your name and still not get your camera icon ??

Ric - not a single GD clue, I asked TMC to change my screen name, as for the camera icon I put in a request each time I take communion ... still waiting:)

jmyers
01-06-2006, 05:34 PM
Ric - not a single GD clue, I asked TMC to change my screen name, as for the camera icon I put in a request each time I take communion ... still waiting:)
I just noticed the name change!! It's Friday I am a little slow today! :)

milkmania
01-06-2006, 05:39 PM
My yahoo account has great filtering.

as does my gmail account:headbang:

Boooomble
02-01-2006, 03:56 AM
Is there a 3rd party software that works well w/o rejecting emails from non-spammers?

I found a great antispam program called SpamBully - spambully.com (http://www.spambully.com) . It works with Outlook and Outlook Express and does a great job. It uses baysian filtering to filter out spam.

Cloaked
02-01-2006, 06:41 AM

TIA - CaseyGet rid of Outlook Express and use a server based e-mail. Outlook-E is nothing but a disaster waiting to happen. Hence no need for anti-spam crap to clog up your puter.

Best e-mail anywhere, bar none is here ==> www.hushmail.com

BarefootOz
02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
PendO,
I also use Outlook Express and don't have any problems with spam, I have Norton Anti-Spam installed and it works great, I get it free when I buy Norton Internet Secutity, you do have to send in for the rebate but it is well worth it. Best Buy has a pretty good deal on it.
I used to use Spam Subtract (http://www.intermute.com/products/spamsubtract.html) like it the best but it cost me 40$ the first year and then I was paying 20$ every year to renew it.
Hope this will help!... :)

PendO
02-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the Choicemail suggestion, I have been using the trial version for a couple of weeks ... so nice to have my inbox back, it blocks about 20 messages a day!

I use ChoiceMail (http://www.digiportal.com/) for the last couple of years. It is a "permission based" SPAM filter. It's nice in that all email, except for addresses in your email client's address book (Outlook Express or whatever and addresses that you put on your "whitelist") gets sent an email asking them to send you an email asking for permission to send you email. They only have to do that once, then they have permission forever. Naturally, SPAM senders won't respond to that email that Choicemail sends them since their return address is bogus.

The email it sends to every unknown sender sending me email:

Choicemail is very customizable. The only problem I have with it is that if I place an online order from some comany I've never dealt with before, I have to go back through the "user's awaiting permission" list to get that order acknowledgement and add their address to the whitelist.

Works for me. You can set up filtering rules if you want, so that you can exclude individual addresses, domains, or keywords. I have found that people who need to legimately want to email you respond to the automated response without complaint, and often want to know the name of the program.