PDA

View Full Version : Voip

Farmer Ted
01-06-2006, 12:28 AM
Anyone using Vonage or some other VOIP provider?

Pros?

Cons?

Discuss...

jake
01-06-2006, 01:17 AM
I use Vonage, works very well. Easy to set up, better call quality than traditional twisted pair I think, cheap (25 per month including long distance and all extras, can add a dedicated fax line for 15). Drawbacks....caller ID only seems to show up maybe fifty percent of the time, also if your cable modem or networking hardware goes down so does your phone line with cell phones this doesn't register as a major concern for me.

All things considered, I'm a big fan and would recommend it.

baedriver
01-06-2006, 01:18 AM
I would like to know as well because I just bought a fax machine and I can only fax local which is pointless and the voip would help alot. I have talked with a couple of friends that have vonage and they like it i have never used it. Have they ever got that 911 figured out??

AirJunky
01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
2 yrs on Vonage, phone & fax line. Had a few problems, but everything has been worked out & working since about the 2nd month. Never had any problems getting support.
I've moved in that 2 yrs & the VOIP router moved with me. I think the only thing I did was change the address on the 911 service.
Oh, and awesome features. Simulring allows the cell to ring when the home phone rings. Pick up the call on either phone.

Farmer Ted
01-06-2006, 09:10 AM
I'm almost ready to get Vonage, the only draw back I see is that I won't be able to get a local number and will have to decide where I want my phone number to be.

My biggest concern is my ISP (Cox) will block the port that Vonage uses, much like they block port 25 for third party email servers.

Other than that concern, I can't remember the last time my cable modem was down for more than 20 minutes

BrianM
01-06-2006, 09:36 AM
I have had Vonage at the office for the past two years and recently got Packet 8 for the house. So far I have been happier with Packet 8. It has been more reliable on the echo/dropped calls as well as more reliable transmissions with the fax. It is also only $19.99 a month. Vonage has a couple of more features like being able to check your voicemail over the web and 7 number dialing but they also charge $24.99 a month. So having had both I vote Packet 8. PM me your e-mail address so I can send you a referal I get a free month of service if you sign up :D. I just checked and Packet 8 also has Shreveport phone numbers. www.packet8.net (http://www.packet8.net)

My biggest concern is my ISP (Cox) will block the port that Vonage uses, much like they block port 25 for third party email servers.

I have Cox at the office with the Vonage and had no problems setting it up.

pilot02
01-06-2006, 09:39 AM
I'm almost ready to get Vonage, the only draw back I see is that I won't be able to get a local number and will have to decide where I want my phone number to be.

Other than that concern, I can't remember the last time my cable modem was down for more than 20 minutes

Why can't you get a local number? I transferred my original Bellsouth number to Vonage with no problems.

SteveO
01-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Can you get the home alarm and DirecTv on the VOIP line. I have thought about it, but the rumor that I could not have those two on it were the reason I did not.

BrianM
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Can you get the home alarm and DirecTv on the VOIP line. I have thought about it, but the rumor that I could not have those two on it were the reason I did not.

The only thing with the home alarm is you would have to modify the line from the alarm so it plugged into the VOIP box but that could be done pretty easily. As for the dish that should be no problem.

bigmac
01-06-2006, 10:19 AM
We set up Vonage at a little hospital in a remote part of Haiti. It works through the internet access we set up via a satellite link. It has been utterly reliable and the voice quality is superb, although the distances imposed by the satellite link add a little latency. Its been very cost-efficient at $25/month for unlimited calling. Prior to that, our only communication possibility was satellite phone at $80 per month and $4.00 per minute.

milkmania
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
working with a small business owner theses last 3 days....

she's using a company named "Packet8"

here's what I wrote over in that connection poll I created the other day....
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=6541

I've just been (today) working with a local lady that's got an in house appraisal business...

I got her computer and the first phone up with no problem (well, actually I did have to call tech support after all else failed & we did a hard reset after firmware update)
but I'm installing a company's system called "Packet8"....

she's got a little bit more complicated stuff than I've ever installed....
3 VOIP modems, one for computer, one for fax, and one for home phone... broadband coming in through cable modem and routing out through a Linksys modem.
I've got to do some studying to see if I can "piggyback" them modems.

They claim their newest fax software is in the testing phase and hasn't been released yet.... that's what they told me, as I was trying to install it, but when she was buying it, it was "sure, that fax machine will hook up, no problem"images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

going back tomorrow to clean up the installation, and try piggybacking

I've hooked a customer up on Lingo, it went a lot easier.....but she came in on cable modem to the Lingo modem to one computer.

6ballsisall
01-06-2006, 11:22 AM
I use www.lingo.com

I have had it about a year and it works fine. On rare occasion it cuts out for a second or two but I believe that has to do with the quality of my broadband connection. Overall I love it! $20 a month, all the long distance I want, call anywhere in the world. It's great!

Dan K
01-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I use www.lingo.com

I have had it about a year and it works fine. On rare occasion it cuts out for a second or two but I believe that has to do with the quality of my broadband connection. Overall I love it! $20 a month, all the long distance I want, call anywhere in the world. It's great!

JRANDOL, I went to lingo's website and it says it is not available in MI so I checked IN and it says it is not available for you either. Is there something missing here ?

Farmer Ted
01-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Why can't you get a local number? I transferred my original Bellsouth number to Vonage with no problems.

Vonage doesn't have the 318 area code or the capability to port my number?

Packet8 does, BrianM rocks!

6ballsisall
01-06-2006, 12:39 PM
JRANDOL, I went to lingo's website and it says it is not available in MI so I checked IN and it says it is not available for you either. Is there something missing here ?

I actually have a Cincinnati, OH number (513 area code) to me it really doesn't matter because where I am at in IN you can call Cincinnati, OH and Northern Kentucky without it being long distance so people calling me can call free.

Packet8 seems to be the best at having different area codes available. I am nearing the process to convert all my office lines over to Packet8

M-Funf
01-06-2006, 12:53 PM
Check out Skype while you're at it.

jimmer2880
01-06-2006, 04:11 PM

Vonage didn't have a local number for me either (go figure - a real hick town 10 min away has availability, but that's across state line & can't get that... ohh well). It doesn't bother me much though and saving $400.00 a year makes it easily worth while!

loeweb
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
ok stupid question but what exactly is vonage and all the others that you have said, I know it is a phone service of some kind but am unsure of the rest. please fill me in cause im tired of paying out the a$$ for a basic phone.

AirJunky
01-06-2006, 04:41 PM
I understand Vonage. And for Loeweb's sake, it's a phone router you can plug up to 3 phones into, that send/recieve the calls over your broadband connection, ie; cable, DSL or Satellite. The bottom line is you can call any phone in all of North America for free. And international calls are dirt cheap.

But what is the point with Skype? You have to have a broadband connection, and can only call other Skype phones, unless you want to pay for it, then you can pay to call a regular phone. Instead of having a separate router, your computer acts as a router for your calls, ie; PC is using CPU time to handle calls.
Isn't Vonage bascially the same thing, but no extra pay? And my computer is totally uneffected by my wife's calls. Oh, and Vonage uses any conventional phone, but Skype I have to buy their special phone?

Dan K
01-06-2006, 04:42 PM
ok stupid question but what exactly is vonage and all the others that you have said, I know it is a phone service of some kind but am unsure of the rest. please fill me in cause im tired of paying out the a$$ for a basic phone.

Check an one of the links above, their websites all explain what Voice over Internet Protocol is and how it is set up. Simply phone service routed through the internet connection you have.

loeweb
01-06-2006, 04:43 PM
about how much do you guys pay for dsl a month if you don't mind me asking

jimmer2880
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Basically, you disconnect your current phone line (physically). Then, Vonage, etc will send you a new "router" for your internet access (DSL or Cable preferred). Then, you plug your phone into the new "router".

And, for $25.00 a month on Vonage, I have unlimited long distance, Caller ID, Voicemail, Call Waiting, Call Forwarding (after my vonage phone rings for x seconds, will forward to ANY other phone - doesn't have to be a Vonage Phone), Simulring (Will righ BOTH your Vonage & any other number at the same time. This can be a pain though if you have vm on both numbers). The voicemail can be access through the internet or emailed to you. Also, if your internet service is down, the call will automatically be forwarded to a number of your choosing (ie - cell phone).

Awesome service & won't go back anytime soon.

AirJunky
01-06-2006, 05:15 PM
about how much do you guys pay for dsl a month if you don't mind me asking
$40 for Vonage, phone, fax, plus we have a Spokane & Seattle # (so it's not long distance for others to call us either).
Then broadband & cable TV (3 pay channels) is like $90/mo.

Farmer Ted
01-06-2006, 05:34 PM

Voice Over Internet Protocol

Uses your internet connection for phone service, I'm surprised the Phone/Cable companies haven't done more to frustrate this process but it looks like a great deal. The thing I was skeptical about initially was if there were any hidden charges/tariffs/taxes

I had basic service with BellSouth for $12.99 but after everyone got done sticking their hands in my pocket I ended up paying $24 a month.

http://www.packet8.net/about/dta/vpanddtaSETUP.JPG

milkmania
01-06-2006, 05:35 PM
keep in mind, in my case
I'm on telephone DSL and make essentially NO LONG DISTANCE phone calls whatsoever (use cell phone for that), so it would not pay for me to add a VOIP service to my telephone line, since I must have telelphone for the DSL.

now, if I were on cable modem or otherwise I'd switch to VOIP in a heartbeat!

in my house, there is one phone plugged in....ringer is off!
the reason it's there is if the kids need to dial 911, they've been instructed on how to do it, and what phone to use.

This computer customer that I've been working with the last 3 days has requested her office & home numbers to rollover to her Packet8 numbers, and that is a 4 to 6 week process, so be prepared to pay a phone company bill & a packet8 bill until the numbers are re-routed:(

I made 3 or 4 phone calls over VOIP to play around with it, could not tell a difference over land lines.

milkmania
01-06-2006, 05:42 PM
just got this email in for SeaWolf Tech

don't know anything about them, but wanted to throw it into the vonage, lingo, packet8 mix.......

http://www.seawolftech.com/

BrianM
01-06-2006, 05:45 PM
This computer customer that I've been working with the last 3 days has requested her office & home numbers to rollover to her Packet8 numbers, and that is a 4 to 6 week process, so be prepared to pay a phone company bill & a packet8 bill until the numbers are re-routed:(

Packet 8 had my number rolled over in less than a week. I think it has more to do with your current provider releasing the number. In my case Eatel was getting ready to cancel all of their local phone service anyway so I am sure that came into play. It took my inlaws 8 weeks to get their number ported over to Vonage from Bell South.

milkmania
01-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Packet 8 had my number rolled over in less than a week. I think it has more to do with your current provider releasing the number. In my case Eatel was getting ready to cancel all of their local phone service anyway so I am sure that came into play. It took my inlaws 8 weeks to get their number ported over to Vonage from Bell South.

noted, thanks:)

I did everything but stand on my head to get this lady's 3 phone lines requested for LNP.
Had to send 3 seperate 4 page faxes because of the 3 different subscriptions:rolleyes:

we'll see how long it takes, and I'll note back here when it rolls over