PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing behind I/O's and Outboards?

NeilM
09-12-2004, 01:29 AM
This summer, I must have seen at least eight or ten 'non inboard' boats with people wakesurfing behind them.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that puts the rider a whole bunch too close to the spinning propeller? A couple of times when I lost my balance, I ended up colliding with the teak platform..But, even the i/o's with platforms - the wakesurfer would go under it. With an outboard, you'd probably collide with it.

Thoughts? am I just getting too paranoid?

Idontownaboat
09-12-2004, 02:00 AM
They are morons for doing that

erkoehler
09-12-2004, 02:31 AM
They must not be the brightest people to be doing something like that! Eventually, they will learn, but hopefully nobody get seriously hurt.

Leroy
09-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Neil; It's a form of natural selection! Darwin in action.

MasterCrafting
09-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Thats why wakesurfing is illegal now...go to www.skicenterion.com (i think thats the ski centerion site) to read more.

:cry: :eek: :cry:

TalleyHo
09-12-2004, 01:01 PM
I agree w/ Leroy -- let Darwin take care of those details. I just don't understand wake surfing to begin with.

Sadly, the first person to meet a prop will undoubtedly sue the outboard manufacturers and they will have to add the stupid tax to their prices as well.

NeilM
09-12-2004, 02:22 PM
Actually, wakesurfing is kinda fun for a change of pace. It's big benefit is that it gives you something to do when the water is too choppy for slalom or wakeboarding. That's pretty much every afternoon once all the Wallys pulling tubes get on the water...

Actually, I went to the Centurion website - wakesurfing isn't illegal - it's some states are looking at adopting a 'no tow rope shorter than 20 feet' law, which won't stop wakesurfing anyway (people will use a 20.5 foot rope and just reel it in prior to tossing it in the boat).

John B
09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
California did make that law last year.

Leroy
09-12-2004, 03:05 PM
It does look fun, and I would like to try it, but I don't think so behind an I/O.

MasterCrafting
09-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Mabye i miss read something :(

jimmer2880
09-13-2004, 07:51 AM
I have only done it a couple times, but each time I did - I wasn't behind the boat - rather off to one side or the other. I was really close (about 10') to the back of the boat - but like I said - I was off to 1 side or the other. Can you really surf directly behind the boat? :huh:

NeilM
09-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Jimmer, you are, in fact, off to one side..

Here's a pic of my daughter trying it out earlier in the year.

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 07:00 AM
Wow - that's a whole lot shorter board that I was using.... I was on an old longboard of a friend of mine's. But - then again we're doing it behind a Prostar 190! They're not necessarily known for their large wakes.

It is lots of fun! I can't imagine doing it behind an I/O... that's just stupid.

Nice pic. I need to find an old long-board for myself sometime....

Like you said - it's something to do when it's busy if you don't want to tube! :eek: It also isn't much of a work-out... so it can be done after a good Slalom/Barefoot/Wakeboard morning set.