PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery Location

BIGBADBLUE
01-05-2006, 04:56 PM
I am starting my winter project and installing dual batteries on my '94 PS205. All the threads about duals are great and helpfull, however, does anyone have location ideas for the second battery. I am planning Blue Optimas and the room beside the fuel tank in the rear is too small. I hate to use precious space in the observers seat.

Anyone have any experience or ideas?

Thanks a ton

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 05:13 PM
what about on each side of the tank. probably a big pita to wire though.

Tom023
01-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Just did a complete relocation of my batteries but different boat so not much help. I have a great place custom batttery cables if you need them.

AirJunky
01-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I installed both batteries behind the back seat in my 94 205 where the factory location is. I had to turn the one battery sideways & the second one went right in front of it & then the isolator bolted to the glass above them.

BIGBADBLUE
01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
That might work ... forgot you can turn the blue on their side. How did you strap them down?

AirJunky
01-06-2006, 08:11 PM
I covered the stock hole the battery sits in with some of that plastic decking lumber, built a base for the two batteries over it. Then bought a regular battery hold down kit & modified it so it went over the top of both batteries. Because of the size of the opening, I had to insert the hold down support, then the first battery, hook it up, then the second battery, then the other support....... basically build it inside the compartment. It's tight, no doubt about it, but it's possible.

flipper
01-06-2006, 08:36 PM
I have one by the fuel tank, and the other under the passenger seat on my '91 ps 190. Don't know if that will work on yours but made for easy wire routing, and access plus both batteries are upright.

SkySkiSpokane
01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I can concur with what Bill said. I have done the same thing. Two batteries and an isolator will fit in the factory spot with a little creativity. When I put the batteries back in I will take some pics.

rem_pss308
01-10-2006, 01:09 AM
I have two batteries where the original was. But I am planning a winter project. I want to move both batteries into the storage space behind the judges seat. I have to do some checking, but I think I can even counter sink them just as the newer boat are. there is a dead space, under the floor.

BIGBADBLUE
01-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Thanks Guys. Got the blue tops and isoslator on Monday and it is going to fit. Like Bill said I am going to have to build it in place but with a little time and patience it will fit in the factory location. This is great as now I lose no space in the observers seat.

Thanks for the help!!!!

Waterski-Marcoisland
02-02-2006, 03:38 PM
I think I am going to the dual battery option too; however, I will relocate mine to the bow to help with weight distribution when my boat is weighted down with ballast........Just an idea though........Dustin

jrhollow
02-02-2006, 03:46 PM
Dumb Question for you, why do you want two batteries? I can understand it if you have a lot of stero equipement, but if you have just the stock stuff one seems to do just fine. Just curious.

AirJunky
02-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I think I am going to the dual battery option too; however, I will relocate mine to the bow to help with weight distribution when my boat is weighted down with ballast........Just an idea though........Dustin
I definitely had to play with the weight, before & after the dual batteries. Currently I have about 250 lbs of pig iron between the back seat & the gas tank. About 120 lbs of lead under the gunnels on the passenger side & 80 lbs of lead under the gunnels on the driver's side. 100 lbs of steel in the bow seats. And a 250 lbs fat sack in the ski locker. The wake is medium size and pretty hard with a white line at the peak. It's an easy target when your trying to time your pop off it.

erkoehler
02-02-2006, 04:18 PM
I am running 6-8 speakers/head unit, amp, shower, and heater all off stock battery.

Is there any cause for concern that I might need a second battery?

BrianS
02-27-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm planning out the dual battery setup for my '93 Prostar 190. I'm planning on sticking both batteries sideways in the stock location like mentioned above. Can anyone post some pictures of thier setup? Just want to get some ideas for how to secure them.

Also, what brand of isolator are you guys using? I'm planning on using the Yandina 100 (http://www.yandina.com/c100Info.htm). Any ideas on where to mount the Perko switch?

123src
02-28-2006, 12:56 AM
I finally decided to have dual batteries put in this winter. I have a '92 205 and was not quite sure how to do it either. I just let the dealer (they said they do this type of set-up all the time) do his thing. I have never seen this type of battery, but they told me they are the ones they have to order to fit sideways in the room available. The location of the Perko was odd to me at first, but the more i thought about it, I like it... It is easy to get to, and really, where else are you gonna put it on this boat? Not a lot of space on this baby! Anyway, hope the pics help you out...

BrianS
02-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the pics! That is exactly how I was planning on installing the batteries, now I just need to find a bracket like that.

Interesting location for the Perko. I assume you have no problems with it getting wet? It seems like the carpet there would always be wet. I'm thinking about making a bracket and mounting mine just in front of the gas tank. That should keep the cable runs short. Plus, with the combiner there is no need to use the switch unless something happens to one of the batteries.

Thoughts? More pics?

123src
02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Carpets never really wet there. I can't imagine how much water would have to be in the boat for that area to be wet, plus because of it's location, there usually isn't gear runoff there either. I'm actually not sure why it would be wet???
The cable run is pretty long, but the dealer did it, so i didn't have to screw with it. If I was doing it myself, i might have picked a different spot. That being said, the dealer told me they put a lot of Perko's in that spot. The ease of access is they key issue. I usually don't have my back seat in, but if my Perko was back by the tank and I had to switch it, you just know the back seat would be in! It is just nice to know that all I have to do is lift the engine cover and there it is.