PDA

View Full Version : Gps?

jmyers
01-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok I need some help on a GPS for the boat and also to use for everything else too! I bought two the Garmen Etrex bassic unit for $99 and the Garmen Etrex Legend C for $199. I need to decide which is really the best! And ETS I know there is already a thread on this but I could'nt find it! :o

RackAtak
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I have used the E-Trex Legend for a few years. I have used it in Wyoming and Oregon while hunting. Never any problems, great battery life and easy to use. I also calibrated my speedo and Perfect Pass with it. For basic GPS, the Legend should serve you fine.

jmyers
01-05-2006, 02:24 PM
The Vista C seems to be the better of them, the things I see the the Legend C dosen't have are electronic compass so you have to be moving for it to read and no altimeter! I'm confused I just want to get the best features for the price so I don't need another one soon!

jbfootin
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Depends what you want to use it for. Do you need a compass when you are sitting still? Do you need an altimeter? I have a 6 yr old GPS that does not have those features, and I dont miss them. It works good for hunting, fishing or just dialing in the speedos. features that I use are the mapping features, and being able to hook up to computer, and you will want one that is at least water resistant, if not waterproof, cuz it will get wet.

RackAtak
01-05-2006, 02:41 PM
Yea now that you mention it, the electronic compass would be a good feature. I do have to walk a few yards to get the compass working. As far as the altimeter goes, the Legend will give you an elevation reading, but depending on what you are using it for, I suppose an elevation reading and an altimeter reading serve different purposes. :eek: As you probably know, when using it in a vehicle or boat the compass works great as long as you are moving.

jmyers
01-05-2006, 02:47 PM
The big question is do I keep the basic Etrex (it's the yellow one) for I think it was $79 or $99 or is it really a big difference to the Legend C for $199 and then the Vista C is $259-$279? I bought both the Yellow one and the Legend C and will take one back, but I don't need to spend extra money unless it is something I will miss! Remember I still have to pick up my boat and pay for the depth finder! :(

jbfootin
01-05-2006, 02:51 PM
If you never have it you will never miss it :cool:

bfinley
01-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I have the Vista and I'm a big fan. I use itin the winter for snowmobiling and in the summer for boating. It does everything I need it to. I've had it for four years.

Brandon

erkoehler
01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I bought one of the cheapo 99.00 ones from Target to dial in my speedos, it didn't really pick up that great of a signal in the boat. When I would put it in the cup holder under the windshield it would loose most if not all the signal.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 03:38 PM
just show me how tro use it jmeyers and then ill buy mine. i dont have the patience to read the maunual to figure it out. plus my a.d.d kicks in.

jmyers
01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
I bought one of the cheapo 99.00 ones from Target to dial in my speedos, it didn't really pick up that great of a signal in the boat. When I would put it in the cup holder under the windshield it would loose most if not all the signal.
That's the one I got from Target for $99 it's yellow! So I guess that answers that one!

Holtrodj
01-05-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't think a stronger signal is a feature on the more expensive ones. The $99 deal has worked fine for me on the water for calibrating speedos.

erkoehler
01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
I don't think a stronger signal is a feature on the more expensive ones. The $99 deal has worked fine for me on the water for calibrating speedos.

Maybe it is just the location I was keeping it in the boat, or the location in which I was running the boat.

Either way, it didn't work for me so I returned it. All said and done.

87 TriStar 190
01-05-2006, 11:34 PM
For boating, I would stay the basic yellow unit. I have had one for three or four years and it works perfectly. I use it when pulling my daughter for swivel. She likes 12.5 mph +/- 0, if possible. The speedos are not accurate on my boat at that speed. It's eliminated the "faster dad, slower dad" conversations we used to have.

I also use it when traveling to map routes and get back to the airport or hotel. No map and direction downloads, but it will track and record. The altitude is right on. I stopped at the continental divide a few years ago and the GPS read 3 feet higher than the sign I was standing next to. I was holding the GPS at waist level. Pretty close.

The size also makes it convenient to hold in the left hand with the steering wheel. Good luck in your decision.