PDA

View Full Version : Finally skied on a Course

tall_ andy
09-11-2004, 10:49 PM
And boy o boy do I stink!!!!!
The boat ran great with the new 13 x 12 prop. But I think I psyched myself out for the first few passes.
Started out at 15 off and 32 mph and made 0 of 6. Then recalled some advice from the board, and forgot about the entrance gates and made 2 of 6. Took some time off to let other ski, went back out at a full 75' of rope and made 3 of 6 at 32. Next pass made the entrance gate and 5 of 6 at 32 but missed number six and overskied the exit gate
But I did rent a slip at the lake for the rest of this season and will get up there as much as possible before the "other" ski season starts.
All and all I had a blast and now give those that ski at 36 and short lengths all the credit in the world :worthy:
Can't wait to get out there and make some more cuts!!!!!!!!!

John B
09-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Andy,
It sounds like you did pretty good for you first time.
You are just asking for too much. 32.3 mph is fast in a course.
It is a different world is a course.
I would go back to 15off and slow the boat down to 30.4 mph and if still have a hard time 28.6 mph.
You should be able to make a full pass at each speed before you move to the next speed.
You have to earn the right to go to a faster speed.
You have to crawl before you can walk,and you have to walk before you can run.
Almost all of the Big Dogs started that way.
The first time you make a full pass is such a good feeling that you wont forget it.(at any speed)
You just turned 34 so if you don't make your 36 mph by next year at this time and you have made your 34 mph pass you can shorten the rope.
Once you have skied in a course open water will never be the same.
Good luck with your ball count and keep us posted on you progress. :D

Lance
09-12-2004, 09:20 AM
John B,

A couple of questions...

1) What is the significance of the speeds you mention in your post above... 28.6, 30.4, 32.3. Not that I would be able to be that percise but mabye those with prefect pass can dial it in that closely.

2) Also, you mention to complete the course (all 6 with gates) before going up to the next speed. Same rule probably applies to shortening the rope. The question then is how short do you go at any particular speed before moving to the next speed. Say for examply you are successful at getting the entire course (with gates) at 15 off and 28.6 mph. Should one then attempt at 22 off at 28.6 or 15 off at 30.4 (assuming there is some significance to the speeds you mention). What would be your (or others) suggested progression... something like...

0 Off at 28.6
15 Off at 28.6
22 Off at 28.6
15 off at 30.4
22 off at 30.4
?? off at ??
?? off at ??

John B
09-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Lance,
Those are the tournament slalom speeds. If you have a DigitalPro PrefectPass those are the speeds that are programmed in.

The progression is: (not sure about full length rope)

15off
24.9 mph
26.7 mph
28.6 mph
30.4 mph
32.3 mph
34.2 mph
36 mph
At age 35 you no longer have to go 36 mph

Once you have done a full pass at 34.2 or 36 (your age)
Then you go to a shorter rope, but you do not slow the boat down,the speed stays at 34.2 or 36.(your age)
You don't want to move on till you make a full pass at each speed like it is a walk in the park. (EZ)
You should start each set with a pass you know you can make. Once you make that pass (full) then move on.
I would not go slower then 28.6, but the slalom speeds do go slower then 24. 9 (that is for kids)

Rope lengths are:
Full 75 ft 0-off
15-off
22-off
28-off
32-off
35-off
38-off
39.5-off
41-off
43-off
:D :toast: :D

tall_ andy
09-12-2004, 01:50 PM
John,
Thanks for the help on the steps on improvement. I never knew which way to go if it should be line length first then speed or vice versa. Now I just have to get the time to Practice. But you're right in saying that just free skiing will never be the same!!
Can't wait to get out again!!!!!

John B
09-12-2004, 02:07 PM
One thing I left out is the driver can make or brake your pass.
There was talk about this on one of the other threads about a slalom course. :D

east tx skier
09-13-2004, 04:05 PM
Nice, Andy. Sounds like you're hooked. Our course is finally in, and I plan to start hitting it hard in 2 weeks. Finally, just before it starts to get a bit chilly. Water temp hit 85 this past weekend. Brrr ;)

bcampbe7
09-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Had my first try at the course on Saturday and it wasn't pretty. I did about 3 @ 15off 28MPH. However, when I say 3 I mean the inside buoys. I'de do good to get 6 boat gates!
Much more practice is needed, but I am willing to give it a try. Had a lot of fun though. :woohoo:

John B
09-13-2004, 04:48 PM
bcampbe7,
It is a start, you will only better.
Once you get hooked by those orange balls.
It will be all you want to do. :D
Ski, without a course,how do you do that.
When do I turn? :huh:
Where do I turn? :huh:
Where do I look, at the boat? If you don't have balls to tell you what to do, you will be lost.
The question you have to ask yourself.
Do I have balls?

bcampbe7
09-13-2004, 04:57 PM
I do love it...

If you don't have balls to tell you what to do, you will be lost.
This is sure to get a comment out of Rick! :uglyhamme

jimmer2880
09-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Good one.. :banana:

Be careful - it is addicting! You'll end up not wanting to ever free-ski.

H20skeefreek
09-14-2004, 07:44 AM
ok, so i'm pretty consistant now at the "mini-course" what is the next step then? do I start stepping up speed? do i start bringing the line in? do i stay at 28mph and 15off and try for the real course? I understand the progression on the real course, but don't know when to start on the full course.

right now i'm running all six balls, and the exit gates at 28mph and 15off. No entry gate yet, not consistantly anyway.

My last pass though, i wiped out and the ski hit my back Knee, I could barely walk for the rest of the day, but it'll be ready by next sunday (too bad Ivan will have messed everything up)

John B
09-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Stay at 28 mph 15off and go full :D

John B
09-14-2004, 09:30 AM
Start out at ball width wide on the ball 2,4,6, side.
Turn in for the gate when the boat is one boat length from going though the gate.
Turn and get as much angle against the boat as you can. Once you set you angle and start your pull don't let up till you cross the second wake.
This should put you about 4 ft. in front of the gate
Angle against the boat = SPEED, skier's speed not boat speed.
In till you can make a full pass at 28 mph (boat speed) more bring the ski around more at the end of your turns and get more angle against the boat is how you increase your speed.
Ski out to ball 1 NOT AT BALL1 and start you turn early.
Finsh your turn set your angle against the boat and ski across the course. NOT AT THE BALLS
In a course most of the work is done behind the boat.(in the pull)
Once you are feeling good with ball 1,2 and 3 start your gate turn when the bow of the boat goes though the gate.
That should put you though the gate.
But if doesn't don't change your angle against the boat.
Change when you start your gate turn.
The key is in timming.
Once you get a good gate and you are early to ball1.
It will be like a wall in the park( nice and EZ)
OK enough of this B.S. GO HAVE FUN :D

Crash
08-09-2006, 12:45 AM
My son's not ready to compete, but want to be 'training' him right. What speed should I be pulling him through the slalom course? He's 11.

LakePirate
08-09-2006, 01:20 AM
By no means am I any where near an expert. But from what I have read/heard as slow as he can go and make some buoys. At ski school they slowed me down to 30 mph. Hurt the ol' ego but it is what was best for me. I would drive it as slow as he can stand it until he can run 15 off, then bump up the speed as he progresses.

Crash
08-09-2006, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. I've been pulling him at 22 and the first time on a course Mon. he went around 2 random bouys. :) Meaning no two constistant. We'll be heading out again within the next day or two.

I've been looking all over the web for information on tournament boat speeds and skill levels and ages, etc. but haven't stumbled upon it yet.

LakePirate
08-09-2006, 02:05 AM
Check out the USA Waterski's Record Book
(http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions/3event/AWSAMaleNationalRecords.pdf) I don't know if that will help, but there it it. Get out your KPH to MPH calculator.

harv559
08-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Try having him ski the mini course, If you don't have a mini set up...use the boat guides and the turn bouys. You drive the boat between the boat guides and the bouys. Drive to the right side so the skier has entry gates. Start as slow as he needs. Once he make the course, speed up in 2mph increments till 28mph. THEN start shortening the rope. He should start at 15 off to learn (75 gives too much slack, and 60 keeps him closer to the boat for safety). Shorten up each time he makes the mini till he gets to 28 off at 28 mph. Then he is ready to to the Full course. Then back to 15 off and as slow as he needs. The mini really teaches edging through both wakes and quick edge changes.
I'd like to hear what ski school coaches say about this method.

ntidsl
08-09-2006, 08:31 AM
at 11 he needs to get opn the course if you want him to ski in college...we have a 13 year old at our lake into 32 off 34 mph...he's going to nationals this weekend...

heres a cool story for those just getting on a course...

I havent skied a course in 15 years when I decided to treat myslef to a day with Jodi Fisher, An MC pro skier, at his house in Orlando. He asked he how fast I ski etc...I told him 36 mph and I shouldnt have any problem running the course even though in college I wasnt that good...I ski at least once a week 6 months of the year and I'm better than enyone I know...lol...okay he told me he's gonna slow me down to 30 or so and run me thorugh the course just to see how I was skiing...I was devastated...30 mph and hour, didnt worry about the gate and still couldn't run it...well by the end of 3 sets he had me runing the course at 30MPH...wooppeeee freakin deal!!! No...it was cool...because my first attempts were crazy I was wiped out...tired and way out of breath...I'm a freaking sub 3hour marathoner and I'm tired what gives??? I was working way too hard...I relaxed and ran it every time...

Okay so thats last November...now I ski daily...every day...my shorts are wet right now from skiing already today...I ran 4 at 32 off 34 mph this morning....what did I do...I read, I watched videos, I watched skier at the ski club I joined and I paid for another visit with Jodi Fisher...

Now my hardest pass...34 mph 15 off I hate it...lots of work...but I didnt spend a month perfecting that and getting rid of my flaws I would never be to where I am now...I am going to spend 2 more years skiing daily before I eneter an event...and watch out...

One more thing...I tackled 32mph 15 off rather quick after 40 30mph passes...but I didnt move to 34 for a month...then when I started running 32 every time, say 50 times in a tow...I moved to 34 mph...spent a month there...now I go out and start at 22 off 34 mph...run a few of those then run a few 28, then move to 32 off...

overall my advice...ski slow 15 off and don't work so hard...and get a coach or a really good skier with you...good luck...oh man its fun if you let it be...just take your time changing speeds and shortening the rope...

TMCNo1
08-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I've been looking all over the web for information on tournament boat speeds and skill levels and ages, etc. but haven't stumbled upon it yet.[/SIZE]

Go back near the start of this thread and speeds and line lengths are listed there. Join USAWaterski and AWSA and the rule book will explain everything in it, in detail.

pilot02
08-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Jesus_Freak
08-09-2006, 11:18 AM
Great work Andy and bcampbe. Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on your progress. I am about where you are.

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 11:26 AM
And boy o boy do I stink!!!!!
The boat ran great with the new 13 x 12 prop. But I think I psyched myself out for the first few passes.
Started out at 15 off and 32 mph and made 0 of 6. Then recalled some advice from the board, and forgot about the entrance gates and made 2 of 6. Took some time off to let other ski, went back out at a full 75' of rope and made 3 of 6 at 32. Next pass made the entrance gate and 5 of 6 at 32 but missed number six and overskied the exit gate
But I did rent a slip at the lake for the rest of this season and will get up there as much as possible before the "other" ski season starts.
All and all I had a blast and now give those that ski at 36 and short lengths all the credit in the world :worthy:
Can't wait to get out there and make some more cuts!!!!!!!!!
your ready to ski an INT Waterski Tournament, check them out at http://www.intleague.com/newengland/

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Go back near the start of this thread and speeds and line lengths are listed there. Join USAWaterski and AWSA and the rule book will explain everything in it, in detail.
another league like AWSA is INT that offers a greater variety of entry levels for all styles of skiers, check out their take on the divisions:
http://www.intleague.com/divisions/sldivisions.html

The following slalom divisions are available for INT League skiers.

Crash
08-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

My son (11) and I skiied a slalom course for the first time last week, he was able to round 3 buoys-15'-22mph and close on the others and I rounded 5-15'-29mph, but always missed one somewhere along the line.

It was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more opportunities. Brought a whole new level of excitement and competitiveness to the sport!