PDA

View Full Version : hot wire on 1989 MC PS 190

helton333
01-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Anybody got a real exact tip on a hot wire for radio on 1989 MC pS? I hit a hot switch on the back of the switch panel, but it cuts off when I cut the blower - need something more direct. Any ideas?

jayderwin1
01-04-2006, 04:31 PM
you can hook you power wire for the radio right up to the ignition switch there will be a extra prong to plug that wire. this way when you turn your key the radio comes on and goes off without losing your presets. you do need to run a constant power wire from your battery directly to your radio, make sure you have a 10 amp in line fuse on that wire.

BrianM
01-04-2006, 07:17 PM
There is also a constant hot wire on the back of the ignition that for the memory or if you want the radio to be on when the key is off. On my '88 I just had both power wires for the stereo run to the battery. Much easier to get to.

flipper
01-04-2006, 08:05 PM
I went to the battery switch on mine to a fuse block. I have amps though, don't know if you have to deal with that or not. Then the key doesn't have to be on if you just want to sit with music. I did run the remote wire to an accessorie switch so you can turn off the stereo, and accessories with out disconnecting anything. I also ran the memory wire to the ignition switch so when turn off the stereo from the switch, you don't loose all of your settings. Be sure to use shrink tube on the splices.

Kevin 89MC
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Anybody got a real exact tip on a hot wire for radio on 1989 MC pS? I hit a hot switch on the back of the switch panel, but it cuts off when I cut the blower - need something more direct. Any ideas?
I ran my stereo off the accessory switch, with the unswitched wire (for clock/presets) directly from the battery. I also had my "cigarette lighter" power source on the acc. switch, but it was too much load when I would switch on the 1 million candle power search light. I now have that wired directly to the battery as well. I found a nice little kit at the local auto store that gave me a thick wire off the battery to a standard auto fuse holder. Also had a nice negative battery connector.
Good luck,
Kevin
Got a pic of your boat? Always cool to see another '89 PS

TMCNo1
01-06-2006, 07:28 PM
kevin89mc is right, the accessory switch has a lead off the dash backside, there should be several leads coming out, take a test light and flip switches till she explodes or you find the right lead for on/off, alltime memory, find a ground lead first.

TMCNo1
01-06-2006, 07:35 PM
kevin 89mc, yours sounds much like mine, boatbuddy easyload, leds all around, disc brakes, rebuilt trailer in 97 and been upgrading eversince.

milkmania
01-06-2006, 08:01 PM
mine is also powered thought the switched power from behind the switch panel.

ACC 2, I believe

91 Prostar

Kevin 89MC
01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
kevin 89mc, yours sounds much like mine, boatbuddy easyload, leds all around, disc brakes, rebuilt trailer in 97 and been upgrading eversince.
Yeah, only yours looks a TON better than mine, if that was yours in the article about teak finishing. Do you have any more pics of your boat? Interior as well? Mine has been "well used" but is holding up like a TANK! It's awesome, but needs some TLC. I'll be re-doing the vinyl soon, and might alter the color scheme. Mine is pretty bland, it appears to have been a custom color, gray with dark gray & black accents. I might PM you with some specific questions.
Thanks,
Kevin

Thrall
01-10-2006, 06:16 PM
I have to rewire my '96 direct to the battery if I intend to turn up the volume. I replaced the stereo in the boat w/ a "high powered" SOny. No additional amp and the stereo cuts out at 3/4 volume or higher. If you're putting a good stereo into an older boat, I'd reccomend going direct from the battery or another heavy lead.