PDA

View Full Version : Is a black boat a mistake?

rookiemc
01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I am interested in purchasing a new Mastercraft X9. My current X9 is white with red, the new is Black with red. The boat looks amazing. And the quality of boat goes without saying. My main hesitation is the black gelcote. So someone with the experience please fill me in. Is it blistering hot, too hard to maintain etc. you comments are greatly appreciated. :confused:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
What color would the interior be?

Lakeview
01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
I've owned two dark hull boats -an 83 ski supreme,and a 67 mahogany brown correct craft.The newer gelcoat and resins are far superior to the old ones-Some good wax and you should have no problem.Good luck.

rookiemc
01-04-2006, 04:38 PM
The interior is gray carpet with white, silver, and red seats

peason
01-04-2006, 04:56 PM
I have a black hull on my 209 and it looks great. Every time I pull it out, I spray on a diluted vinegar solution of about 20% vinegar and 80%water, to get the water spots off. It will depend how hard and dirty the water is where you use the boat. In doing this you need to wax the boat more often, since the vinegar will take off wax as it cleans. Congrats on the new boat!

Tom023
01-04-2006, 04:58 PM
No problem on mine with fading and I'm in a very hot area. It just tends to show every scratch and water drops, just like a black car.

G-man
01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
Black is a little more work to keep looking good but it looks real good.

Jim@BAWS
01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
The interior is gray carpet with white, silver, and red seats

If you are custom ordering...stay away from a DARK DECK color
Blue, red or black, shows scratches and is HOT HOT HOT.
Anything on the side or bottom is OK. I never encourage owners
to do a DARK color on top...unless they really want it. I know it looks good and all but is it practical. Now reverse gel on the bottom
LOVE IT !!!

We have had X-2's and X-1's that have had SOLID yellow or orange decks and those have been OK

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Welcome to you. Where in Texas? George summed it up. They look great, and while they theoretically require more work, I find that a lot of people on this forum tend to put in the extra elbow grease regardless of whether the boat needs it or not.

Footin
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
My last two MC's have been black and if I were to order a new boat today it would be.......you guessed it, black!

I use an "Absorber" to dry the boat after I put it on the trailer and it works pretty good. I wax the boat about every other month.

"Black is Beautiful" and is not alot of extra work.

jbfootin
01-04-2006, 05:15 PM
I have a Black boat. It does show scratches easily but looks awsome when clean and polished. I wax mine the begining of each summer and wipedown each time I pull it out of the water. Mine is just Black and White.

I would like to see your black and red combo. Post a pic if you can!

djhuff
01-04-2006, 05:30 PM
I use wax as you dry every time I pull it out and have no problems. Looks great all summer, only have to wax and clean 2 times a year.

rodltg2
01-04-2006, 05:39 PM
if you ski at a private lake with hard water it will be a pain in da *** to keep looking good. even then i think the hard water makes any color hard to deal with. if you like the black go with it.

Sodar
01-04-2006, 06:07 PM
if you ski at a private lake with hard water it will be a pain in da *** to keep looking good. even then i think the hard water makes any color hard to deal with. if you like the black go with it.

Ill second this, if you are on a private lake or anywhere that the water has alot of calcium in it, stay away!!! My parents used to own a Blue hulled Hydrodyne. They had to have the boat colorsanded at the end of each summer because the sun would bake the hard water in and etch the gelcoat. My dad was very anal and tried everything from straight vinegar to Lime-Away, but nothing worked. Now, I know that a Hydrodyne is an inferior product, but still hardwater is a pain in the a$$ with dark hulls.

captain planet
01-04-2006, 06:23 PM
If you are custom ordering...stay away from a DARK DECK color
Blue, red or black, shows scratches and is HOT HOT HOT.
Anything on the side or bottom is OK. I never encourage owners
to do a DARK color on top...unless they really want it. I know it looks good and all but is it practical. Now reverse gel on the bottom
LOVE IT !!!

We have had X-2's and X-1's that have had SOLID yellow or orange decks and those have been OK

Jim@BAWS
This is probably the best advise on this topic thus far in my opinion. My friend gets a new boat every season and one year he had a black X-30. I took it out one time and it was about 90 degrees out. The accent colors in the interior were black, if I recall part of the deck was black and the hull was reversed so it was also black. I have to say I have never burned the bottom of my foot so bad in my life on the accent color in the interior. The cover was black, when I uncovered it, you couldn't touch ANYTHING inside the boat without burning yourself. I don't know how parts of the dash didn't melt it was so hot. The wipe down was a little more difficult to get the water-line off, ......but DAMN black looks good when it is clean.

If your set on black, get a different accent color in the interior, and do yourself a favor and get a lighter colored cover.

baedriver
01-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I ordered my 197 with a black hull. I just been told it is a little more work to maintain but will look sharp. somebody may be able to shed some light on the subject but that quick clean marine is suppose to work very well?

AirJunky
01-04-2006, 06:47 PM
A dark color top deck & any large interior pieces that are dark in color are going to get damn hot if you live in an area that gets some heat.
The exceptions to that are if your in an area like Seattle where isn't much problem with it because summer will see the 90s for about a week & thats it.
Or if you are the type of boater who goes out, skiis hard & then wraps it up.
But we are the type that will hang out in the boat, drink, eat, swim, go in & leave the boat uncovered for 1/2 the day, then go out again, ski, drink, eat, swim, etc. And the dark part of my interior will burn the he11 out of you if your not carefull.

As for the dark cover, somewhere I heard that a dark cover won't allow any life to survive inside the boat. No bugs, cats, rats, whatever. Since I had a factory cover when I bought the boat, and I keep the boat on the lake for 6 or 7 months of the year, I've seen boats have problems with bugs under the cover. Doesn't happen in mine now that I have a black Sunbrella cover. The light colors will cool off in a couple 2 minutes after you uncover the boat on a hot day.

Tom Wortham
01-04-2006, 07:27 PM
RookieMC (RFII), Glad to see you found the board and posted. You will get some great feedback from other boaters. I know how you love this boat. :love: .. I could see it in your eyes when we talked about it. No doubt it will look great. One question for you... How often did you clean your 01'? You might have to pick that up a notch with this one. If it's too hot, you can always sell it after a season or two. (If we have any water left) :mad: Regarding resale... you might not do as well as you (will be doing) with your '01. I think the guys/gals in their late 30's and early 40's will stay clear of the black boats. But the young guns (like your self) will go nuts for them. :twocents: Just don't laugh too hard when my tender foot steps foot on your boat with non-mark sandles/shoes/socks when it's 95+ this summer :eek: . Keep me posted! Tom.

erkoehler
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I have seen an all black PS 190 or 197 posted with red accents and it looked pretty good. I believe there was a pic on this site somewhere.

WakeSeeky
01-04-2006, 07:47 PM
As for the dark cover, somewhere I heard that a dark cover won't allow any life to survive inside the boat.

Wow, I'd never heard that. Interestingly though, we do have a black cover, but on Christmas day, middle of the lake, we found a scorpion on the boat. :eek: I am not too excited about this. On the plus side, that would be the first wee beastie ever, but I'm wondering about boat pest control now.

To keep on topic, we had a black stripe on our previous boat. While I think it looks great, I won't do it again myself. The hard water spots are a PITA, but the sun fading was what I really hated. Yes, it can be buffed back to black, but it's just work I'd rather not do. My boat would be all white if there wasn't already a white X-Star on the lake. We're kinda extreme here, though, when it comes to both hard water and sun, so your mileage may vary.

I do like the look of the black boats. I love to look at them when I'm not the one trying to keep it shiny. :D

Nuts4Water
01-04-2006, 08:40 PM
I had a reversed black x-10 and loved it. I found the best way to maintain it easily is to wipe it down as soon as it hits the trailer. Also about once a month wash the boat and use a sprayable wax before you dry and it will look brand new!!! I never had a boat that I had so many complements on.

Rockman
01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Sorry to whoever's boat this is...I borrowed this pic a while back to show some firends. :D

Whoever's boat this is...love it. Just wouldn't want to wax it! :D

rodltg2
01-04-2006, 08:56 PM
hes got my old set up, except in black

COSkier
01-04-2006, 09:45 PM
Yes, it's hot. Yes, it's hard to keep clean. But it sure looks good! Besides if the boat doesn't make you ski any better your arms get at least 1" bigger by the end of summer from all of the waxing. :wavey: Wax on wax off. :wavey: Here is mine.

xbrdr1
01-05-2006, 08:55 AM
There's 2 colors in the world...black and gay. :cool:

Just got my Black/White reverse gel 01XStar.
Nothing looks better on the water or the road than black.
Most likely you wipe down everytime anyway..so it's not
much more work than a diff color.

sizzler
01-05-2006, 09:00 AM
rookie...heres mine .....i love the black hull,,but i went with a white deck because of the practibility of it ....as outlined by jim@baws

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1271&cat=500&ppuser=605

Rainwater
01-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I had a black '01 X-9 and now have a solid red one (including top deck). I live in DFW area and have no problems with either of these dark colors. As long as you wipe down after use, they are easy enough to keep clean. From personal experience, I find no reason to shy away from dark colors if you like them.

bcampbe7
01-05-2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry to whoever's boat this is...I borrowed this pic a while back to show some firends. :D

Whoever's boat this is...love it. Just wouldn't want to wax it! :D

I believe that is ProStar19's setup. Very cool setup!

RexDog1
01-05-2006, 12:22 PM
I have a black and red X2 I like the black it takes more time to
Take care of black but worth it
I have a red top deck and that is harder to keep the scathes down
I would go with a white top deck
:twocents: :toast:

baedriver
01-05-2006, 01:00 PM
Do you guys do anything different to the black hull. Mine will be on lift most of the summer and ideas to keep the black hull clean on the lift?
Thanks

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 01:24 PM
is that going to be hard to clean all the way when its when on the lift. i would take the boat out every once in awhile for a full clean up and detail

AirJunky
01-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Do you guys do anything different to the black hull. Mine will be on lift most of the summer and ideas to keep the black hull clean on the lift?
Thanks
Don't put it in the water. The black on my boat shows water spots far worse than the white.

It's amazing how many opinons on a topic like this. After all the work I've put into the black on my boat, I can't see how anyone can say it's no big deal.

Byrdman
01-05-2006, 02:39 PM
Thanks

Do what ever it takes to keep the birds out of the rafters, or your black boat will have a lot of white poka-dots...... :eek:

jmac197
01-05-2006, 02:43 PM
I love the classic looks of our black 197. It will be 4 years old this year and still looks great!!! Of course I have a biased opinion. I give a good buff 3 times a year with Meguires and low speed on a 2 speed grinder with a 10" buffer pad on it. In the fall I take great pains to remove all the water spots from all the gel coat. I would say that the white is easier to keep clean, but it probably is because you can't see them as well.

I do have some black accents on the upholstry that gets hot, but nothing you can fry an egg on.

Later
Jim

milkmania
01-05-2006, 06:21 PM

is that a typo?
a movie quote?
or what else could I be missing here:confused:

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 06:35 PM

so are you gay?

Tom023
01-05-2006, 06:37 PM
I went black and I'm never going back, just looks too good on the water.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
ive heard that before.

Hoosier Bob
01-05-2006, 07:56 PM
Late input but we ski regularly behind a black X-9 (02) and always know to wipe her down and never put her away wet. Ride it hard and wipe it down with a little white vinegar. Jay (black X-9) always uses quick wax after a run and the boat looks new with no spots. His is black with a white interior. I always step into the boat, not on the skins and ask the same of my buddies. I have 13 year old seams in them thar skins! I ski for three hours and clean and prep for four hours and my boat is white. Black looks better clean and worse dirty. It is worth the effort that we should all be doing anyway. Long posts are my forte. :banana:
PS. As an MC owner you are probably protecting your investment the same regardless of the color. May be less additional care than you think.

Hoosier Bob
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Do I see a new thread in the beginnings? Sorry for your loss Rod! :D ive heard that before.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 08:10 PM
thats pretty funny, !

lakes Rick
01-05-2006, 11:06 PM
is that a typo?
a movie quote?
or what else could I be missing here:confused:

Have you seen "Bareback Mountain"

milkmania
01-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Have you seen "Bareback Mountain"

nope, it's on my "don't see" list.

is that a reference to that movie? Black or Gay?

rookiemc
01-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Well aside from Gay or not Gay... Thank you all for the input. It seems to me that everyone loves black boats on the water. I think that i am going to look for a different boat. The black is great except on the top gelcoat. I think that it is going to be too hot. I need to find something with a white top/black hull. Thanks for the input.

lakes Rick
01-07-2006, 01:33 AM
nope, it's on my "don't see" list.

is that a reference to that movie? Black or Gay?

Milk, not about you, the GAY reference...