PDA

View Full Version : Boat Fenders

tbuck
01-04-2006, 03:11 PM
I have recently purchased a Prostar 209 & am now purchasing all the necessary accessories. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good quality boat fendor that does not take up a ton of storage space?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 03:25 PM
The MC dealer I frequent in Indiana has tons of sizes and colors. I also bought the MC covers from the Proshop to go over them. Oh, and the color matched MC ropes....

tbuck
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
The MC dealer I frequent in Indiana has tons of sizes and colors. I also bought the MC covers from the Proshop to go over them. Oh, and the color matched MC ropes....

Do they have them listed on a website or do you know the brand?

Footin
01-04-2006, 04:08 PM
I bought two new black ones (to match my new boat) last year at the boat show. They were about 15 bucks each.

I recommend buying stuff like this at a boat show because 10 different booths have them, if you don't like one vendors then move down the isle to the next vendor and check theirs out.

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
Hull hugrs do the job nicely and are sort of flat so they are easier to store. I still would like to pick up the long one that goes the length of the boat to compliment the two vertical ones we use.

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=34911&fcat=2M10B

peason
01-04-2006, 04:12 PM
I bought some that have a black cover and are inflatable.

here is a link:

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=341

jmyers
01-04-2006, 04:20 PM
Hull hugrs do the job nicely and are sort of flat so they are easier to store. I still would like to pick up the long one that goes the length of the boat to compliment the two vertical ones we use.

http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=34911&fcat=2M10B
Doug, how do they hook on? I don't have pop up cleats yet, so I have been hooking them on the rear hand rail and front windshield! Will these work on my X-9? Thanks, Jeff

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I just tie them to the grab rails. They have a seam that separates two foam parts. So they bend at the rub rail to conform pretty close to the hull shape. We've had good experiences with them and found them to be pretty durable.

jmyers
01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
I just tie them to the grab rails. They have a seam that separates two foam parts. So they bend at the rub rail to conform pretty close to the hull shape. We've had good experiences with them and found them to be pretty durable.
Thanks for the info!~

AirJunky
01-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Don't skimp on bumpers. Your getting them for a reason, to protect your boat. I have several of the long tube type bumpers that are like 18" long & 7" or 8" in diameter. I've seen multiple boats hit each other or the dock when they get rocked by some waves with these. So I have some big bumpers now that are like 24" long & 12" in diameter. Their a pain to store, but the boat doesn't get touched, even when tied up & the waves rock the boat. I keep them pumped up because I don't want to mess with pumping them up, then deflating them everyday.

fskof
01-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Here is what I use on my 209. I tie one on each cleat and one to the tower. If you look at your boat you will notice that the center of the boat sticks out further then the front and rear, so I tie a bumber right to the tower. This set up has worked very well for me. I dont have not one sratch on my hull. When I dont need them I toss them in the back storage capartment.

AirJunky
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Man, I wish you luck, Fskof. Those are the bumpers most of the guys here use. And all it takes is one butthead driving by slowly & kicking up a wake at your pride & joy. We had a 205 slide under the dock & get the top deck smacked up really good. And my own boat knocked towers with a boat I was tied up with. The other guy wasn't happy at all, guess he didn't like the big crack it put in his boat.

RobertT
01-04-2006, 08:59 PM
I personally don't like bumpers/fenders. They can easily pop up and allow damage. If you always tie up to the same place, there are better options. I only use bumpers to tie up to other boats in a wake free cove or to put out temporarily like when I am filling at a marina.

I do something a lot like Fskof, except I don't bother with the front one.

This might take a second...but its worth it if it keeps you from damaging your boat.

I bought the 6" bumpers at first. Don't bother.

Go ahead and buy the big ones, I think mine are 8" or 10". Mine are inflatable, and have a tie location on the top and bottom.

The center part (widest) point on my boat is next to the rear tower mount location.

Perfect! I even have a nice little knob to hang the bumper from. Nice.

The problem that you will have is that even with the shortest possible knot combo hanging from a cleat or tower knob is that the bumper will hang too low to do any good. Or, if you can tie a knot that close to the top, the bumper will stick straight out away from your boat doing no good.

The solution that I have found is to have the knot or loop about 80% up the bumper. I took a 8' long fender line (1/2"), and ran it through the top hole, then back down through the bottom hole.

Now I had the pre-made loop hanging from the top of the bumper. At the base of that pre-made loop I tied a quick overhand knot.

Then, I ran the tag end (loose end) up and ran it through that overhand knot that I just tied. I snugged it up reasonably tight, and tied the loose end up.

It sounds complicated, but it is not. What you end up with is a loop of rope with a factory loop to loop over a tower knob or a cleat. You can slide that loop up or down as needed. If it is not tight enough, add a little tie wrap to one end to keep the rope from sliding around.

What you end up with is a fully adjustable mounting location. I can keep the bumper at the optimal elevation pretty easy.

Works great for both front and back tie locations.

The biggest problem is where to store the things. They dont quite fit under my back seat.

I have been planning on building or buying a step to place behind my drivers seat to allow people to step into my boat easily without stepping on the seat.

That might be a perfect location to store the bumpers, I could make the seat/step the perfect height to store two bumpers under.

Hmmmm....I might have to work on that.

If this makes no sense, and it very well might not due to mind numbing substances, let me know and I will email you a diagram. I am six beers into numbing myself for what my wife says is minor surgery tomorrow morning. Third kid is going to be here in a few weeks, I need to make sure that three is enough:)

There is nothing minor about surgery in that location!!! I need another beer.

SKI*MC
01-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Have any of you guys ever had a fender or bumper end of scratching some of the gel-coat?

fskof
01-04-2006, 10:27 PM
No, the ones that I use are inflatable made out of a rubber like material. I still am very cautious of where and what I tie my boat up to. There is no 100% solution.

Cloaked
01-04-2006, 10:43 PM
No, the ones that I use are inflatable made out of a rubber like material. I still am very cautious of where and what I tie my boat up to. There is no 100% solution.Word......

X2M
01-04-2006, 11:20 PM
I bought some that have a black cover and are inflatable.

here is a link:

http://www.lakeelmosports.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=341

We use these too. They take up very little space and inflate quickly. I have been very happy with them.
:)

Sodar
01-05-2006, 01:13 AM
I have never had any issues with fenders scratching the gelcoat as long as they are 1) high quality and 2) clean and supple. Some inexpensive fenders are the equivalent of throwing a milk jug out to protect your boat! If fenders are left in the sun they get gummy and crusty, that is when they scratch. My old boat was painted, and as we all know paint is softer than gelcoat, so I did have a little issue of scratches even with fender covers. But for the most part, I have never had any issues with fenders scratching the gelcoat.

TMCNo1
01-06-2006, 02:21 PM
as far as fender covers are concerned, wal-mart has tube socks 6 pair or so to a pack, white with color stripes in shoe size 134/16 [xxxl] fit most fenders 8" or so in dia. $7 a pack +- they are washable. experiment, if they work, share them with your buddies for a beer or two

TMCNo1
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
thats shoe size 13/16 [ xxxl ], sorry bout that y'all....later