PDA

View Full Version : Oil Bath Hubs

M-Funf
01-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm thinking about changing my standard greased bearing buddies to the Oil Bath type hubs on more current trailers. I've read some posts, and they seem to be good...

Are they as good as they seem? Does water ever get inside? How do you add oil if it gets low?

TIA.

:toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking about changing my standard greased bearing buddies to the Oil Bath type hubs on more current trailers. I've read some posts, and they seem to be good...

Are they as good as they seem? Does water ever get inside? How do you add oil if it gets low?

TIA.

:toast:
I am unaware of any conversions, so far it doesn't seem worth the money to try it. To add oil, there is a filler hole with a plug.

M-Funf
01-04-2006, 03:29 PM
I found this from West Marine...less than 100 bux for longer trailer life and easier maintenance...not too bad.

Turbo Lube (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/148718/10001/396/11210/17)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd be interested to see how that system works in person. Not sure if that's for a conversion, or a replacement. I did not see where it said if it was or not. Looked like the rear bearing was still grease. Am I wrong?

jmyers
01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
I found this from West Marine...less than 100 bux for longer trailer life and easier maintenance...not too bad.

Turbo Lube (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/148718/10001/396/11210/17)
Mine seem to work fine! I did have one leak, they tightned it at MC other than that they are waterproof, and I haven't had to fill them yet!

M-Funf
01-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Mine seem to work fine! I did have one leak, they tightned it at MC other than that they are waterproof, and I haven't had to fill them yet!

I guess my concern is that these don't seem to be under pressure like the greased hubs are (the spring loaded bearing buddy). I would think that water could get in through the seal and into the oil, especially when it's a retrofitted hub on an older trailer like mine...

Edit: it appears to be a conversion. I'm guessing, but I think you get the hub, bearings, seal, etc.

jsonova99
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
I have oil bath hubs on my new EZ loader trailer, and so far no signs of any water getting into them. I definitley prefer them to standard hubs so far.

Footin
01-04-2006, 05:24 PM
This is an interesting thread.

Last year I replaced both of my hubs due to one of them cracking, I debated going with the oil baths because I was replaceing everything includeing the wear sleeves on the axles. I ended up going with the "greased" hubs due to my fears of the oil baths leaking.

I do think to oil baths would wear longer, if you look at semi trailers they use the oil baths, must be a reason.

I would love to see one of our beloved MC dealers chime in on this and offer their experince on the retro fit (if they have ever changed a trailer over) and the pros and cons.

Matt L.
01-05-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm interested, but how are they sealed? It seems like traditional grease seals would leak.

Here is a good link to the supplier I got my SS disk brake system. They are great.

http://www.championtrailers.com/TURBOLUBEOILFILLEDHUBS.htm

From reading it I think I'd have to go with new axles because I have rear seals that seep grease out the back a bit. So oil won't work for me unless I've got to replace an axle anyway.

Matt

M-Funf
01-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the link to Champion! I've been looking for trailer parts, and theirs seem to be less expensive than West Marine...

On the oil hubs, I don't know how well they seal, but I'm due to pull the hubs and bearings when I lift the trailer, so I may swap them out and give it a try. If they don't work, I'll return them (if I can).

lakes Rick
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I believe the idea here is if they do leak, you can look thru the plastic "hub" and see it. If it leaks any out you can just look and see if the level is low.
With the grease type you cannot tell if your grease seal is leaking grease out or water in until it is usually too late..... Just my take..

88 PS190
01-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Either way, as long as you pay attention to your hubs before using your trailers you'll be fine. My worry would be that an oil bearing hub if it did crack/get a leak on a long trailer haul the bearings would likely be shot before you noticed as the oil would leak quickly, and its protection will break down quickly. Where as greased hubs if you pump it full of grease it doesn't really matter if it has a bad seal, because the grease will stay in place and not break down too quickly. and water in grease isn't a horrible problem, water in oil can cause more issues.

erkoehler
01-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Ok, I am going to let my inexperience and youth shine through here, but how ofter do the bearings need to be changed? I have bearing buddies on my trailer, but what should the standard/regular maintenance be?

Thanks!

Sodar
01-06-2006, 04:09 AM
Ok, I am going to let my inexperience and youth shine through here, but how ofter do the bearings need to be changed? I have bearing buddies on my trailer, but what should the standard/regular maintenance be?

Thanks!

I was told new bearings every 3 to 5 years or 10,000 miles (thats real easy to keep track of!). I think this number is very low as my bearings are as old as the boat (10 years). Usually your seals go bad prior to the bearings, so if you are putting a lot of grease in regularly, its probably time to change the seals. As for maintenance, I top my bearing buddies off every time I head out. I am not sure if this is excessive, but it gives me peice of mind! <--- Thats all that counts right!?!?!?

Tom023
01-06-2006, 10:03 AM
The owner's manual for my hubs (UFP) indicates that as long as they are kept greased, there is no need to repack or replace them. Wheel bearings in cars can last hundreds of thousands of miles without failure, granted they are not dunked in water all the time, but they are exposed to rain, salt, and other elements. I have to think trailer bearings will last a long time as long as they are maintained.

pilot02
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
The owner's manual for my hubs (UFP) indicates that as long as they are kept greased, there is no need to repack or replace them. Wheel bearings in cars can last hundreds of thousands of miles without failure, granted they are not dunked in water all the time, but they are exposed to rain, salt, and other elements. I have to think trailer bearings will last a long time as long as they are maintained.

All of the bearing failures I've seen on trailers have been a result of water seepage into the bearing which when the trailer has not been used for long periods of time (ie winter months) and this results in rust which quickly destroys the bearings. I've always heard ensure the bearing buddy's are full each trip and repack/replace seals every 2 years on a trailer.

Footin
01-06-2006, 10:22 AM
I repack mine every other year and replace the bearings every 4 years.

Cheep insurance as I have blown a bearing before.

Matt L.
01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Champion has great customer support and the tech line comes in handy when things don't go as expected. Although I think it is a toll call.

I'm going full LED lighting with lots of extra markers and backup lights and the guide post top lights Should make it much more visible day and night.

Matt

Workin' 4 Toys
01-08-2006, 10:58 PM

Thanks!
4 to 5 years Erk. Cheap Insurance. Have you priced out a set of wheel bearings?