PDA

View Full Version : what's your connection?

milkmania
01-04-2006, 02:49 AM
What kind of connection do you have?

Answers are multiple choice

for work vs. home vs. on the road

sizzler
01-04-2006, 02:53 AM
milk.........eastie is defo. the top poster.....

but ,you my friend are defo the top thread starter........

go to bed :D

AirJunky
01-04-2006, 02:55 AM
Cable broadband w/ Vonage VOIP (almost 2 yrs now), 3 PCs, 1 Xbox, 1 MP3 player & 1 DVR on a network.

JDK
01-04-2006, 02:56 AM

milkmania
01-04-2006, 02:56 AM
milk.........eastie is defo. the top poster.....

but ,you my friend are defo the top thread starter........

go to bed :D

I'm just gettin' started:purplaugh

I like to make you guys use your imaginations:popcorn:

milkmania
01-04-2006, 03:00 AM

sorry bout my editing:o

I wasn't sure how it was going to post, as the preview didn't show the correct results

milkmania
01-04-2006, 03:05 AM
and I've only started 214 threads8p

dang, that is a lot isn't it:(

Ryan
01-04-2006, 03:12 AM
Where's Verizon FIOS - fiber optic ISP? I voted for phone DSL, closest I suppose. I wired multiple ports (CAT5 wall jacks) through the house and also have a locked down WiFi.

milkmania
01-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Where's Verizon FIOS - fiber optic ISP? I voted for phone DSL, closest I suppose. I wired multiple ports (CAT5 wall jacks) through the house and also have a locked down WiFi.

I'm from Oklahoma, I can just barely spell fiber optic much less consider it....lol

I bet that's a sweet connection:eek:

Ryan
01-04-2006, 03:17 AM
I used a dial-up at my in-laws last month. I can read TT posts faster on my cell phone. I couldn't go back.

jimmer2880
01-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Cable modem with Vonage. Vonage is great, but it's not flawless. Still, I won't be giving it up anytime soon!

André
01-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Dial up.
Nothing else available around our lake.Old wiring ...
There is always the dish but that's expensive i think.

ski_king
01-04-2006, 09:21 AM
There is always the dish but that's expensive i think.
And according to my neighbor, slower than dial up when connecting to an outside network for work at home......

X-45
01-04-2006, 09:22 AM
You forgot "OTHER" :uglyhamme

I've got Satellite :D

AirJunky
01-04-2006, 12:06 PM
I'm from Oklahoma, I can just barely spell fiber optic much less consider it....lol

I bet that's a sweet connection:eek:
Come on, if every resident of Moses Lake, WA can spell it, even someone from Oklahoma should be able to get it. Every home in Grant county gets fiber.

You also forgot the new broadband via the AC power lines..... whatever thats called. I guess their deploying on the east coast this year.

east tx skier
01-04-2006, 12:09 PM
DSL at home. T1 at work.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 03:43 PM
I am using HAM radio... Why isn't that an option....? Werx Guud!!

Actually I am on a T1 sometimes, and wireless others.... Oh, sometimes cable DSL, and sometimes phone DSL.

River Rat
01-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Cable dsl at home along with wireless hookups and x box thingy's,
and at work idono ....but it's fast :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 04:03 PM

I wasn't sure how it was going to post, as the preview didn't show the correct results
It's alright, we knew you'd fix it......;)

milkmania
01-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Cable modem with Vonage. Vonage is great, but it's not flawless. Still, I won't be giving it up anytime soon!

I've just been (today) working with a local lady that's got an in house appraisal business...

I got her computer and the first phone up with no problem (well, actually I did have to call tech support after all else failed & we did a hard reset after firmware update)
but I'm installing a company's system called "Packet8"....

she's got a little bit more complicated stuff than I've ever installed....
3 VOIP modems, one for computer, one for fax, and one for home phone... broadband coming in through cable modem and routing out through a Linksys modem.
I've got to do some studying to see if I can "piggyback" them modems.

They claim their newest fax software is in the testing phase and hasn't been released yet.... that's what they told me, as I was trying to install it, but when she was buying it, it was "sure, that fax machine will hook up, no problem":rolleyes:

going back tomorrow to clean up the installation, and try piggybacking

milkmania
01-04-2006, 07:20 PM

Actually I am on a T1 sometimes, and wireless others.... Oh, sometimes cable DSL, and sometimes phone DSL.

that military channel I posted.....somewhere:rolleyes: had channels for listening to Iraqi operation freedom type transmissions!

you know me, I'll see if I can find it again;)

in the meantime, check out this guy's setup:eek:
http://www.milaircomms.com/shack.html

well whatdayaknow, I bookmarked them:D
http://www.milaircomms.com/current_war_freq.html

jimmer2880
01-04-2006, 08:36 PM
I've just been (today) working with a local lady that's got an in house appraisal business...

I got her computer and the first phone up with no problem (well, actually I did have to call tech support after all else failed & we did a hard reset after firmware update)
but I'm installing a company's system called "Packet8"....

she's got a little bit more complicated stuff than I've ever installed....
3 VOIP modems, one for computer, one for fax, and one for home phone... broadband coming in through cable modem and routing out through a Linksys modem.
I've got to do some studying to see if I can "piggyback" them modems.

They claim their newest fax software is in the testing phase and hasn't been released yet.... that's what they told me, as I was trying to install it, but when she was buying it, it was "sure, that fax machine will hook up, no problem":rolleyes:

going back tomorrow to clean up the installation, and try piggybacking

What I did, was buy a neat splitter device at Home Depot. It's a punch board with 10 places for 4 pair wire (cat 5). Ran one from the Vonage RJ11 (phone plug), into the top punch. Then, ran the other 9 to a cat5 patch panel. Then, from the patch panel into whatever wall patch I want.

Long story short, if you have one of those 1 line into 4 devices available at any home depot, lowes, radio shack, etc - it should work to share the single phone line/number. Although, I've never tried using it as a fax.

milkmania
01-04-2006, 08:46 PM
What I did, was buy a neat splitter device at Home Depot. It's a punch board with 10 places for 4 pair wire (cat 5). Ran one from the Vonage RJ11 (phone plug), into the top punch. Then, ran the other 9 to a cat5 patch panel. Then, from the patch panel into whatever wall patch I want.

Long story short, if you have one of those 1 line into 4 devices available at any home depot, lowes, radio shack, etc - it should work to share the single phone line/number. Although, I've never tried using it as a fax.

heck, I've got one of those in my truck and honestly never thought of using it...
bring everything into a central location, then branch off of that!
sure would clean up a lot of wiring, that's for sure.

you are referring to the 110 & 66 punch down blocks, right?

jimmer2880
01-05-2006, 07:21 AM
heck, I've got one of those in my truck and honestly never thought of using it...
bring everything into a central location, then branch off of that!
sure would clean up a lot of wiring, that's for sure.

you are referring to the 110 & 66 punch down blocks, right?

Actually, the punches look like the back of a Cat5 patch panel, except each color wire/punch is conntected together. The Or/W's are connected together. All the Or's are connected, All the Bl/W, etc are connected.

jimmer2880
01-05-2006, 07:25 AM
But, Radio Shack sells a little device with an RJ11 on one end, then a block with 4 screws on it, one for each color, Bl, Red, Grn & Yellow. It sounds like that would be all you need.

BrianM
01-05-2006, 10:01 AM
I just switched over at home to Cable internet with Packet 8 (VOIP) for the phone. Works great for me. We just have a 3 handset cordless setup.

At the office I have Cable internet and have been using Vonage (VOIP) there for the past two years.

For anyone that cares, so far the Packet 8 has been the better VOIP service. There are a couple of less features with Packet 8 (but it costs $5 less a month) like no voicmail access over the internet and you always have to dial 10 numbers but the reliability has been better with Packet 8. I use a fax on both and have fewer transmission problems with Packet 8 even though I don't have a dedicated line like I do at the office.

The only drag with VOIP is if the cable goes down I am screwed. No TV, NO computer, No phone.

jmyers
01-05-2006, 07:41 PM
Two metal cans with a string running between! :banana:

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 07:50 PM
that works good too.

AirJunky
01-05-2006, 08:01 PM
The only drag with VOIP is if the cable goes down I am screwed. No TV, NO computer, No phone.
We had a wind storm blow thru town last summer & a tree blew over the phone lines in our neighborhood. But cable & power is underground so it was fine & my VOIP was the only phone working for a full day.

Interesting experience, Brian...... I dropped Packet8 a couple years ago because it wouldn't support a fax line at all, something about their compression scheme.

rodltg2
01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
i have dsl at home and work, no dissapointments yet

Cloaked
01-05-2006, 08:29 PM

I wasn't sure how it was going to post, as the preview didn't show the correct resultsInsomnia.... :eek: DAMMIT BOY!!! :D :eek:

Leroy
01-06-2006, 11:29 AM
CQ de WAOTD! I'm not on much, but getting ready to set my station back up again (old FT101E). Extra that used to be on code always, now just a little 2M.

BrianM
01-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Interesting experience, Brian...... I dropped Packet8 a couple years ago because it wouldn't support a fax line at all, something about their compression scheme.

They say that fax isn't supported but I haven't had a problem. I think it was milkmania that said he talked to Packet 8 and they are developing the software but it isn't offical yet. Then again I only use the fax occasionally and then only for a page or two I mostly e-mail PDFs instead of messing with the fax