PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing - How Long Will It Last?

bobx1
02-13-2015, 11:21 AM
With all the talk of the reverse I/O, 2015 Mastercraft Brochure, etc., I am trying to use some rational thought in forming an answer to my question of "how long will wakesurfing last".

For example, does the skill level (or lack thereof) of an activity/sport have a direct correlation with its' longevity (short or long)?

Does the risk/injury potential have a direct correlation?

Do the physical demands have a direct correlation (think football vs. golf).

Clearly, the easy answer to my questions are "all the above" but when you look at what happened to water skiing, barefooting, and what appears to be wakeboarding then I start to ponder why.

Where I have some confusion is when you look to snow skiing for a potential answer. This activity/sport has stood the test of time for both young and old. There are some physical demands, some risk to injury, and some skill yet snow skiing remains popular.

I am in my 50's and started water skiing close to 40 years ago. I wimped out and quit barefooting 30 years ago. I have not wakeboarded since I sold my MC a couple of years ago (the kids got older and have a lot on their plate). I still snow ski.

I know I may get flamed by stating my feelings on wakesurfing - I just don't get it. It is fun for a little while but for me, it gets boring. Throw that on top of the cost barrier of entry and I get even more confused with the popularity.

Just idle winter boredom curiosity thread and interested in your thoughts.

mzimme
02-13-2015, 11:32 AM
I think snow skiing has tested time well because of its easy access. You buy $1500 bucks in gear, and a $450 dollar pass for the season, and you can go out as often as you want with whoever you want. Boat is a little different... you have a huge investment up front that continues to be an expense, and doesn't give nearly as many people access to it as easily.

You have to buy a boat, and for the "low end" thats like 5 grand for something that you can ski behind that's a good tug. Then you have maintenance (which isn't just something anyone can or is willing to do), then you have a 500 dollar ski, 50 dollar life jackets, 100 dollars in fuel every weekend, and the learning curve.

Anyone can stand on snow skis and slide down a mountain. Not everyone can start in the water and get up on water skis, or a water ski. We all take for granted the ability to head to the lake whenever we want to. What happens if you love to ski or board, but you can't get on the water because you don't know someone with a boat, or you cant afford a boat, or you cant store a boat where you live, or whatever else.

Wakesurfing is nice because it appears that every boat is trying to cater towards it. It's not something that will be specific to inboards in probably 5 years or so. Therefor, it's almost like tubing... anyone can do it, and it's really fun.

My .02

lashburn1
02-13-2015, 11:33 AM
It may be a fad on the Larger scale , it 2010 was year one for the Masses, I would say 20years, like wake boarding.

I am 47. We 1st Surfed a short board behind my dads 22' I/O in 1983.
I was SO happy to see it around and in good for when I returned to boating in 2013

epnault
02-13-2015, 11:34 AM
It is here to stay. I don't think it is exhilirating or challenging either but you know what, it is an activity that I have gotten some people who gave up on watersports for life behind the boat again. The other thing about the activity is that it is a group activity that most everyone feels comfortable being in the boat for it. Lets admit it, most non-enthusiasts aren't that interested in getting in the boat for a 30+ mph slalom run or 40+ mph barefoot run.

Don't let the marketing hype fool you on cost of entry. You don't need a $100k+ boat to surf or wakeboard. I remember when I first bought my X9 and the kids were wakeboarding on my parents chain of lakes. After watching them all go wake to wake and being sort of impressed, here comes an old POS deck boat, loaded with teenagers and a guy absolutley ripping it from a tow on the transom. Ha ha

JohnE
02-13-2015, 11:37 AM
My guess is that they are pretty close to perfecting the surf wake with these 150K machines, and that now that there is little to improve, interest will wane. I think part of the allure was continually trying to improve the wake. I think it will always be popular, but won't drive the market. Watch for a resurgence crossovers in 3-5 years.

bobx1
02-13-2015, 11:44 AM
I think snow skiing has tested time well because of its easy access. You buy $1500 bucks in gear, and a $450 dollar pass for the season, and you can go out as often as you want with whoever you want.....

When you live in the south and have to pony up $$$ to fly your family to snow each year, a place to stay and eat for a week, then the cheap easy access argument goes out the window with me. You sound like my wife when she is trying to convince me that spending $10K plus is a cheap family vacation.:D

Eric2010MCX2
02-13-2015, 11:48 AM
When you live in the south and have to pony up $$$ to fly your family to snow each year, a place to stay and eat for a week, then the cheap easy access argument goes out the window with me. You sound like my wife when she is trying to convince me that spending $10K plus is a cheap family vacation.:D

X2 from another southern boy. Closest decent skiing is a very crappy 7 hour drive to boot.

Bahahaha on the wife comment :-)

Eric2010MCX2
02-13-2015, 11:50 AM
And for those of us whose knees are on a limited life span, wake surfing is going to be the "retirement" from wakeboarding

ATLX30
02-13-2015, 11:54 AM
I know I may get flamed by stating my feelings on wakesurfing - I just don't get it. It is fun for a little while but for me, it gets boring. Throw that on top of the cost barrier of entry and I get even more confused with the popularity.

Just standing behind the boat letting the boat push you I agree is boring after a 1/2 dozen times. What has been fun for me is trying to progress at it and do different things with it (like a 360 that I can't yet do). I'm that way with all sports though, and I suspect others are as well. Wakeboarding and skiing are boring if you just stand behind the boat. Getting out of the wake and trying different things is when it gets fun. Snow skiing is a passion, but the same thing applies there. Just staying on the greens and going down a groomed run would be boring. Going on harder runs, skiing the trees, doing mogels all makes it fun.

I think there are more fun things to do snow skiing than wakesurfing that are more easily attainable by the average human being, but I still have fun with. I might get bored in a year or two with it when I hit the inevitable ceiling of desire not matching athletic ability, but I hope not since I'm sinking a bunch into a new boat right now.

mzimme
02-13-2015, 11:55 AM

Ok... fair enough. I guess I take for granted living within a days drive of the mountains, and also having multiple places to choose from to go to. My grandpa built a cabin in Breck in the 70's that still hasn't been updated. Still has its shag carpet and all, so I never have to pay there for lodging haha.

I guess I'm just thinking about people that live in areas that have access to the mountains. Those out east, out west, and on the west coast... even areas in new mexico all have areas to go skiing. For a kid in his 20s in prime shape that doesn't have a ton of money, but does have access to both lakes and mountains, they're going to pick mountains 95% of the time IMO.

uplandbird
02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
I have no idea if this is a fad or not.

All I can say is that surfing has opened a big door for me. As the boat driver, I've pulled kids on tubes, pulled wakeboards, and pulled skiers. All fun. All great. But I'm not doing any of those things anymore.

Honestly when I get done skiing, which I still really enjoy, I feel like I got my a** kicked for a few days after.

Surfing for me is a fun way to get behind the boat. I think the sport is interesting, not boring, and offers different things to do and try as your skills progress. With my gen 2 system you can surf both sides of the wave, which creates a whole new level of challenge. I don't do any tricks yet but that will be fun too.

And when I fall, its like dropping into a nice warm bath versus being involved in a minor car wreck.

I don't presume to know if this will stand the test of time for folks, all I know is it's been a really great addition to my family and as long as its fun, we'll stay with it.

chriscraftmatt1976
02-13-2015, 11:58 AM
X2 on ATLX15. I got bored with surfing after it got to the point I couldn't learn much more. I think surfing will always be around, but the need for a very expensive boat doesn't help it much, though of course there are cheaper options than a brand new v drive.

Anyone can ski behind another kind of boat. Not at a tournament level of course, but they can go out with a sea ray and have as much fun as anybody else, and to me that's what it's all about anyway. If you're having a good time, you're alright with me...

snobinge
02-13-2015, 12:01 PM
I thought this was going to be a debate on the Law ending the sport! ;)

Roman
02-13-2015, 12:04 PM
I just don't get it. It is fun for a little while but for me, it gets boring.

Its because your getting old and set in your ways. Are you just riding to the back of the pocket then forward again...maybe up a bit then back down? Holding a beer? Don't get too crazy now!

Slalom skiing is boring too....if all you do is criss cross over the wake.

Wakeboarding is boring too....if all you do is criss cross over the wake.

Skiing/snowboarding is boring too....if all you do is criss cross down the mountain.

You old farts on this forum are tough. Ive got one word for you old timers...progression. You know what it is, but your just set in your ways.

Don't get too upset now, I know the truth hurts.:cool:

scott023
02-13-2015, 12:12 PM
My guess is that they are pretty close to perfecting the surf wake with these 150K machines, and that now that there is little to improve, interest will wane. I think part of the allure was continually trying to improve the wake. I think it will always be popular, but won't drive the market. Watch for a resurgence crossovers in 3-5 years.

^^^ This makes a lot of sense to me. Huge part of the challenge is perfecting the wake.

501s
02-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Maybe the "problem" with progression on a wakesurf board is the "tricks" you can learn just aren't that impressive so when you factor in all the falls, time spent turning around to pick up riders and the fuel to learn a trick like a shuv it or 360, especially for non skateboard guys, it just might not be worth all the effort.

When I was first learning 360's on a surf board it was very frustrating and I hated wasting everyone's time in the boat while I fell over and over again. Eventually I got them, and ya they are kinda fun, but I can say that the feeling of accomplishment was no where near the feeling of learning a new invert on a wakeboard or when I got up and barefooted for all of 10 seconds. Now Barefooting was a rush. I actually look forward to learning to foot this season a lot more than surfing.

CantRepeat
02-13-2015, 12:23 PM
It will be around as long as people have boats.

lashburn1
02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
Maybe the "problem" with progression on a wakesurf board is the "tricks" you can learn just aren't that impressive so when you factor in all the falls, time spent turning around to pick up riders and the fuel to learn a trick like a shuv it or 360, especially for non skateboard guys, it just might not be worth all the effort.

When I was first learning 360's on a surf board it was very frustrating and I hated wasting everyone's time in the boat while I fell over and over again. Eventually I got them, and ya they are kinda fun, but I can say that the feeling of accomplishment was no where near the feeling of learning a new invert on a wakeboard or when I got up and barefooted for all of 10 seconds. Now Barefooting was a rush. I actually look forward to learning to foot this season a lot more than surfing.

I see that 501, Im 47 with 2 Dislocated shoulders on Tap...For me, this is probably the route.
there are plenty of tricks for me to learn Wake Surfing... I have not given up trying to WakeBoard or Maybe even Water ski? ... My wife does NOT like driving the Boat fast, wake surf and perfect pass are her selling points to this...

AlbertaSurfer
02-13-2015, 01:03 PM
Until...

TxsRiverRat
02-13-2015, 01:24 PM
I'll never ballast my boat at the private lake because of the damage it does to the shorelines (plus the fact that I am responsible for my own lot's maintenance), but I'd love to have a surf board to fiddle around on when I am done with slalom for the day... That or a trick ski or other water toy. I just cant bring myself to spend over $100 on one. I'm not that serious about it.

MattsCraft
02-13-2015, 01:32 PM
Wakeboarding is DEAD!:D:D:D

Seriously - To 501 and and others a few points from my perspective. How long does it take to turn around every time when your learning inverts, 3's, 5's, maybe 10's or whatever you call all those WB tricks - vs the time to turn around for a surfer that falls.

On my boat, if you want to ski, WB, barefoot, surf whatever, your in. I'll even pull a tube :shocked: if thats all you care to do behind the boat, heck just come out to have a couple beers and enjoy the day, listen to some tunes and hang, who really gives a rats &*%. No Wake Snobs aloud, sorry. I mean really, I do whatever possible to make sure your pull for your sport is as good as possible, whine about it and you need not come back - Have fun, work takes care of all the stress I need, boat time is fun time.

Here is why surfing is so popular and people are loosing interest in long line activities. It is the newest coolest thing one and it is "social" combined with almost no crash impact. Now to do some of the tricks, no rope etc. takes a bit more skill, tuning around to pick up a rider, whatever, the tunes are playing, the group on the boat are all having fun And the waves rock my grand-babies to sleep :D:D- Its a social event. Whatever body of water we are on, pull a WB, nobody turns and looks - Now surf, everyone stops, follows, points, thinks it's the coolest thing they have ever seen.:confused:

Take that vs all the serious long line activities, the water needs to be perfect or the rider is upset - The wake snobs complain when another boat comes by and messes up his water, or the wake is just a millimeter off on one side because heaven forbid somebody moved in the boat during his set etc.

"Wake Surfing" will be around for a long, long time.

TxsRiverRat
02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Wakesurfing isn't as new as everyone thinks really. I recall seeing folks do it on Lake Lavon as early as 2000. I remember watching from a distance thinking, what is he doing so close to the boat, and no rope? He must me riding that wave...

I think you need a certain depth for wakesurfing right? my lake is only 6 ft deep, and I do not think I have seen anyone surfing there yet.

I did get a couple of stares when I was pulling wakeboarders on the skylon, until they knew I'd never ballast it.

Shaun R
02-13-2015, 01:44 PM
I think it will be around for a while, but I can see smaller and narrower lakes banning or limiting the sport. It's getting to the point where the wakes are damaging to the shore like listed above and annoying to everyone else on the lake. I spend a lot of my free time riding trails on a mountain bike and do a few track days a year in my car. It's considered bad edicate to ride on a trail that's really muddy as it ruts it up for everyone else. The race track has rules for passing to make things fun and safe for everyone. Lake people be like "here comes my wake, deal with it." I have nothing against the sport or people who enjoy it, just do so in a manner that respects others trying to enjoy their own. Seems that as wake sports progress, the waves get larger and larger. Whens the point where people say enough and what does that do to the sport of surfing?

TxsRiverRat
02-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Seems that as wake sports progress, the waves get larger and larger. Whens the point where people say enough and what does that do to the sport of surfing?

Probably when it becomes so idiot proof that ANYONE can do it

73blue
02-13-2015, 01:47 PM
Agree with several ITT. Wakesurfing is here to stay, along with skiing and wakeboarding and, dare I say, tubing? One thing I'll add is that the longer its around, and the more boat models designed with surfing in mind there are, the more affordable it will become. Its expensive now, because all the wakesurf specific boats are fairly new. I also agree that crossover style boats will once more make a resurgence. They always do, because there are very few people who can ski, wakeboard, surf, etc at a competitive level, or even desire to. For those others, like myself, they don't need the perfect setup for each individual activity. My 04 X-10 doesnt have the best surf wake, or wakeboard wake, or ski wake, but its good enough at each one that I can do whatever I want at my ability level and have fun with it.

JohnE
02-13-2015, 01:58 PM
I think we all agree wake surfing will be around indefinitely. My question is how long with wakesurfing drive the market of what is being manufactured.

bturner2
02-13-2015, 02:06 PM
I really think Wake Surfing will be another bolt in the quiver for me as the years progress. It's appeal will peak with the masses as with other sports in general but it will always be there. What I like about it is there are still a lot of challenges without having to pay the price of an urgent care visit to progress. Also you may not have enough left for another slalom run but you can almost always take another surf run. It's a great way to end a full day of skiing.

From an old fart perspective I'm older but I still Slalom, Wakeboard and Surf. I will admit that I don't Wakeboard as much anymore but that's mostly because the falls are not worth it to me anymore. It still doesn't stop me from going out for a cruise run at sunset but I'm just not pushing it into the flats or doing blindsides when I'm out there anymore.

Slalom is still a rush for me. I like the speed and there's nothing quite like taking a run at 32 on a stretch of glass water (BTW I started at 36 when I was in my 20s and have slowed down as the years went on. I'll also admit I'm not to proud to get a lake ski and ski at 24 to stay on the water if needed).

As to cost..... For me you're either a boater or not. I personally would have a boat even if I didn't ski, I'd just do a different form of boating activity. If you need to plug "x" number of hours a year on your boat to justify owning it you'll probably be able to justify selling it if that's the only measure you use to it's worth. I get nearly as much Zen time working on my boat as I do using it and have often considered getting a project boat just to work on as a hobby.

We all make choices with our time and where we spend it with our family and friends. I've had several friends buy boats then sell them a season or two later because their kids where off doing other things. The reason they've typically been off doing other things is because the parents have signed them of for every travel sport or sport camp one could imagine. And if you think boating is expensive sign 2 or 3 kids of for travel hockey and start adding up the costs.

You don't need to have a $100K boat to ski, surf or board. There a plenty of used vDrives out there that will fit the crossover model and still be a great value. Probably about the same "all in" cost of 3 kids playing travel hockey for 3 seasons. It's all about choices.

djkslc
Every few years I seem to get interested in something different. 2005 - 2007 Slalom, 2007 - 2009 Wakeboarding, 2010 - 2012 surfing, and 2012 to present is the SkySki (hydrofoil).

I do agree that surfing has its place in the line up. I got bored with it, but I think it will be a water sport that has staying power. I have taken neighbors and family members boating before just because I knew that they could at least surf. It's a great social activity, it's great for the afternoon "rougher" water, it's good for those with little boating experience, it's hard to get hurt, it's easy on your body, and people love the feeling of throwing in the rope.

I think we will see more crossover boats in the future instead of 1 event specific boats.

As long as technology improves and boats that can surf come down in price we will see surfing around for a long time.

mzimme
I think we all agree wake surfing will be around indefinitely. My question is how long with wakesurfing drive the market of what is being manufactured.

I'd say as long as its the most popular activity to do behind the boat. I'm still holding out for parasailing to pick up again....8p

gwozhog
02-13-2015, 02:14 PM
When gas hits about 7-10 bucks a gallon wakesurfing will start to come to an end.

Double D
02-13-2015, 02:28 PM
I think it will be around forever but the options where you can do it will be reduced. I am certainly not against it or a fan of it, but I sure do get peed off when they do it in a preferred ski area or I have to negotiate the waves in my 205...

The more homeowners see what its doing to their shore line or their docks, limitation will be put in place.

CantRepeat
02-13-2015, 02:58 PM
When gas hits about 7-10 bucks a gallon wakesurfing will start to come to an end.

That's never going to happen in my lifetime. ;)

lashburn1
02-13-2015, 03:13 PM
the Shore Line erosion is debatable... general traffic on the river and dissipated Surf waves..will end this theory..... the waves flatten almost immediate to that of ANY other boat going 11mph

geordie-wake
02-13-2015, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=CantRepeat;1115305]That's never going to happen in my lifetime.
Until the recent drop in fuel prices I was paying roughly the equivalent of $8 for a US gallon and it never stopped us in the UK :rant:

As long as we have fun in and behind the boat I don't mind what activity it is but surfing is my preferred choice at my age

swatguy
02-13-2015, 07:58 PM
I personally think wake surfing will cause it self and wakesports in general to end much quicker than we all think. The boats built these days and the wakes they produce are insane. You can argue all you want about wakeboats producing huge wakes but until the G, 13 star, and now X23 the rollers that rolled down the lake were lower than most cruisers , but Surf waves rolling into shores, docks, and moored boats off these new monsterous boats will destroy anything in its path.

Once boats like the G, X46, X23, start hitting the smaller lakes politicians and lake associations across the nation are going to start putting more and more restrictions.
Surfing has been going on for years. It's just gaining more popularity these days because that is the push the marketing of boat mfg's are making. Comp boats are now the family runabouts of our generation. Centurion developed the first wake surf specific boat, the Centurion Wave. The Wave was the first boat to introduce automated, built-in ballast that is now standard on all wakeboard specific boats. The Wave had an air vent, a rear drain and an underwater fill scoop. Released into production in 1997, the Wave was named WakeBoarding Magazine's Most Innovative New Boat.

BrooksfamX2
02-13-2015, 08:26 PM
And for those of us whose knees are on a limited life span, wake surfing is going to be the "retirement" from wakeboarding

That's me....just had total knee replacement 4 weeks ago..... surfing is low impact and a watersport most can do behind a boat that makes a medium wake. I doubt if I'll wakeboard again. Been slowly moving to surfing the last few years.

Hey, I skurfed in the 80's also 8p

BrooksfamX2
02-13-2015, 08:30 PM
It will be around as long as people have boats.

I concur..........:)

jgraham37128
02-13-2015, 08:36 PM
It will end when surf boat sales start to fall off. Then they will all shift towards another area.

atihanyi
02-13-2015, 09:47 PM
With all the talk of the reverse I/O, 2015 Mastercraft Brochure, etc., I am trying to use some rational thought in forming an answer to my question of "how long will wakesurfing last".

For example, does the skill level (or lack thereof) of an activity/sport have a direct correlation with its' longevity (short or long)?

Does the risk/injury potential have a direct correlation?

Do the physical demands have a direct correlation (think football vs. golf).

Clearly, the easy answer to my questions are "all the above" but when you look at what happened to water skiing, barefooting, and what appears to be wakeboarding then I start to ponder why.

Where I have some confusion is when you look to snow skiing for a potential answer. This activity/sport has stood the test of time for both young and old. There are some physical demands, some risk to injury, and some skill yet snow skiing remains popular.

I am in my 50's and started water skiing close to 40 years ago. I wimped out and quit barefooting 30 years ago. I have not wakeboarded since I sold my MC a couple of years ago (the kids got older and have a lot on their plate). I still snow ski.

Just idle winter boredom curiosity thread and interested in your thoughts.

I am going to get flamed for this but I wish they would make the sh*t illegal , As a home owner on lake I have countless hours into rip rap on my shoreline and the waves from surf boats continue to erode the hell out of it

lashburn1
02-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I am going to get flamed for this but I wish they would make the sh*t illegal , As a home owner on lake I have countless hours into rip rap on my shoreline and the waves from surf boats continue to erode the hell out of it

In the scope of all water activity , 24/7 365 on your lake , I would challenge the erosion Factor on your lake vs NO Surf Boats....
NOW, damage to your Boat against your Dock...thats a different story..

wheelerd
02-13-2015, 11:21 PM
I think we will see more crossover boats in the future instead of 1 event specific boats.

That's why I'm planning to keep my first gen X2 until the day I die. One of the best crossovers MC ever made. Nimble, classic lines, not too many electronic gizmos to fail.
Someday it will be worth it's weight in . . . um, something other than oil or gold.;)

Cain0725
02-13-2015, 11:44 PM
People kill me when they get mad about surfing, lets see, buy boat, wakeboard, surf, hang out with friends, be respectful and you can't please everyone. There at the lake to have fun and most of the time there not doing it to make someone else mad. Just usually new to the boating world or full of beer. Self correcting problem

CheeseSteak1
02-13-2015, 11:45 PM
Here is a question to the question that started this thread. What water sport/s have died over time? Skiing, barefootin, kneeboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing, tubing, hell the torpedo is still going strong! Surfing is not trying to replace anything. This isn't the internet killing the encyclopedia sale man scenario. It's just another variation of a boating sport.

Stefan
02-14-2015, 02:19 AM
I think one thing to keep in mind is that only surfing and skiing, both in their original shape/form though, don't need additional equipment/facilities, no lift/no tow boat that is.

Tow boat sports of any kind and alpine skiing/boarding only came up with the recreational idea in mind, original surfing(fishing canus) and skiing evolved from nessecary ways of transportation/moving around to survive.

bobx1
02-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Here is a question to the question that started this thread. What water sport/s have died over time? Skiing, barefootin, kneeboarding, wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing, tubing, hell the torpedo is still going strong! Surfing is not trying to replace anything. This isn't the internet killing the encyclopedia sale man scenario. It's just another variation of a boating sport.

My "how long will it last" thread title was purposefully tongue in cheek. The intent of my question was beautifully re-stated by John.

I think we all agree wake surfing will be around indefinitely. My question is how long will wakesurfing drive the market of what is being manufactured.

93Prostar190
02-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Markets and trends come out "hot" and then normalize ... even the really hot products in the recent "economic" studies that have been game changers like Ipods, and Iphones, and other items.

I grew up a skier, which also kneeboarded, and eventually barefooted as others exposed me to the sport. All of those followed with some tubing and general boating fun ... later in life I learned to wake and surf thanks to people on TT.

Wakeboarding became a huge part of the water scene and has made boardshorts and bindings better for all of us, including skiers. My Radar boots on my slalom ski are a clear result of wakeboarding hitting all areas of boating. Heck the space in my 214 is largely influenced by wake boarding as well ... including my mini-tower.

Surfing is great and is driving the market for now. It has tremendous crossover appeal to other sports that have not been tapped into which are linked to ocean surfing. It is so social as has been said on here before. The current President at MC is an Ocean Surfer and grew up by the ocean.

I am certain that I do not want a surf only boat myself and the MC product line will need to keep boats that do certain things great, and also all around type boats that do everything well (214 / X2 / 205 need to have successors)

I see the surf "wave" (pun intended) lasting 2-3 more years and then the product line will pivot a bit back to wake/surf ski/wake type boats.

I do worry a bit about the massive rollers we are all starting to create on certain waterways ...

Lastly, Mattscraft is correct in his post when he mentions some "wake" snobs ... people that ride boards and ***** about speed and wake. We used to have that with slalom ... "what speed was that?" and let me take 10 minutes on the platform getting my gloves and ski on ... ;)

The ecosystems will merge and result in cooler water creatures (I see it at Buckeye Bash)

Influenced by our slalom heritage - we wake up very early and those folks slalom and barefoot.
We then move to wake around 10:00 am - 3:00 ... where finally surfing breaks out.

All of them fun! Social! and require a ton of $$$ ... we are all truly blessed. All of us, that have done all the disciplines are a little less "snobbish" than the creatures that are one trick ponies.

Ok ... I need less coffee in the morning. Peace.

snork
02-14-2015, 10:14 AM
I think virtual Wakesurfing is where its heading, cant get anymore easier :D
I'm on board with some in regards to gov. and municipalities getting involved and limiting the use of the wave in size and relativity to the stern of the boat. These wakes the surfboats produce may be fun for the user but near shore they damage and degrade the shoreline and cause major damage to structure and property, then theres boat traffic that comes in play, anyone ever come across one of these tsunami in their boat and come airborne or swamped in result of the wave? haven't loss control of my boat but some will and the result won't be pretty. Lawsuits will find their way into the manufactures of the machines. Thats some of the negative outcomes for the future of wakesurfing.
Now lets talk about the future, for as long as theres no laws eliminating wakesufing. Whats other water activity can you depart the boat without getting your ars wet have a couple drinks while maneuvering the wake then return the the boat only to replenish your drink stock, and who needs a driver, right, everyone seen the ghost rider? you can't do that wakeboarding, slalom skiing or riding your airchair