PDA

View Full Version : PC vs. MAC

Jim@BAWS
01-03-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't want or need to start a poll here. You can all add your input.

I view the TMC site at work with a PC Windows Millenuim (sp) and work at home on my old reliable MAC 9.2.2 on the kids IMac and 10.3 on my notebook.

Just curious how uses what out there. I have heard GREAT things about FIREFOX and SAFARI for Mac users on the NET.

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
01-03-2006, 03:51 PM
I've been on a PC since 1996. I highly recommend firefox based on my PC experience. I'm sure it would run equally well on a Mac.

jsonova99
01-03-2006, 04:14 PM
I use Safari at home on my G4 Quicksilver running OSX10.3

I use PCs almost everyday, but I love using y Mac at home, much more user friendly and less annoying bugs, although mine needs a serious memory upgrade, it's starting to lag behind my Windows PC in it's old age.

Tom023
01-03-2006, 05:33 PM
It seems like they have worked out most of the bugs with Safari, but it is still annoying to come across a few sites where you cannot view all the content. I was really close to moving to Firefox but just couldn't make the switch as I try to stick to the Apple software. Explorer at work.

Brent
01-03-2006, 06:40 PM
I use a iMac G5 with safari with very few problems . I can not comment on window's, I don't use them very often.

milkmania
01-03-2006, 06:51 PM
win XP Pro on all the machines except one.....it's for special occasions (win98se)

FIREFOX here!

the ONLY time I use Internet Explorer is for Microsoft's updates & patches and the occasional website that has a link that opens IE, but then I copy the link and paste it into Mozilla.

In Mozilla, I like the tabbed browsing and the frequently used bookmarks at the top in button form for each website.

AirJunky
01-03-2006, 06:53 PM
XP Pro & Firefox at home. Exploder & Lookout at work.
Macs are for kids.... ;)

Sodar
01-03-2006, 07:38 PM
I use Mac with OS X.4 and Safari. It is great on the internet because you get no pop-up ads or freezing. I have only come across a couple sites that the video format does not work, mostly when websites employ their own media player. But, I switched from PC to Mac a few years ago and I will never look back, the reliablity is outstanding!

bigmac
01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
I own and use both - mostly Windows XP, but I prefer Macintosh. Firefox on Windows XP, Safari on the Macs.

mattsn
01-03-2006, 09:43 PM
I run a G5 and also a G4 Powerbook @ 10.3.9. Use Safari with no problems. Really enjoy it and very dependable. I like Foxfire, but not enough use to make a switch.

erkoehler
01-03-2006, 09:55 PM
I have a HP laptop, and usually use Eplorer.

DooSPX
01-03-2006, 10:49 PM
I use XP Pro running Firebox/thunderbird on my Desktop and on my Laptop
and have one machine running 98SE w/ IE. (dont use very much)

Danimal
01-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Home - PC running XP Pro and Firefox
Work - Mac G5/Safari

I prefer my PC

MinnX-10
01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Been using mac's since late 90's at home... Current on an iMac G5 with Safari... coming into work with my PC/Exporer is like taking a trip back in time!!

betsy&david Harrison
01-22-2006, 06:39 PM
I use imac G4 OSX.4/Safari and love it both at home and work. Never had a problem with Macs. Love the new stuff out there that has become available too. :twocents: B

87 TriStar 190
01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I switched to iMac G5 over the holidays. So far so good. I have a lot to learn about the system yet, but it's all good so far. Safari works well. No problems yet. On the old PC I have Firefox. Much better than Explorer. I need to figure out the picture thing so I can start participating here a little more. I did get the MS Office package on the Mac so I can communicate with everyone else. PC at work, and other than having CSC as the computer supplier, it's pretty reliable. CSC is not our friend. Don't know if any of you have to deal with them or not.

bucky
01-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Using a pc with explorer at work, wife uses firefox on a pc. With my time limited on hers, I couldn't tell the difference. I use a G4 i-book with safari at home, but sometimes the margins come out funny on teamtalk. No viruses with the mac, though.

88 PS190
01-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Careful what you say about no viruses on the Mac, Apple just overtook Dell in sales this last year, and with the Intel chipset offerings in future Apple products there may just start to be enough intellectual property on them to start introducing viruses onto the system.

In my opinion the Macs are great for general computing, if you like music, searching the internet, and uploading pictures. They are also really good for sound and video editing.

I however prefer to do my work on PC's and using Windows XP Pro. They may be finacky and can crash, but seeing as i've used them for so long it is natural for me to keep them running smoothly and properly, and as such I find them acceptable. Not to mention how much less expensive it is to keep them upgraded and faster than a Mac.

If you aren't up to running spyware programs, and virus sweepers, its not the time to be on a PC. But watch out in 10 years as the Apple starts getting viruses.

Enjoy.

Tom023
01-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I took the Mac plunge about two years ago after much research. So after two years, I still have a lot to learn about the system and do not feel as comfortable with it as I do with my PC, with which I had 23 year head start. I will say I prefer the Mac at home for photos, music and especially video, the stuff just flat out works and is simple to use. I prefer the PC for business, which I use at work, but most of the differences are really minor in my opinion. Virus protection software and ad ware blockers seem to work fine on the PC and are not necessary on the Mac at this point, but could be required if their market shares grows.

firstmc
01-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I use a iMac g5 and have absoultely no problems. Will never go back to a PC. PC get cluttered up to easy and there are always viruses out there for them. I dont have that problem with my iMac. plus with an iMac you dont have a bulcky desktop laying around... all you have is a mouse, keyboard and screen.

rodltg2
01-23-2006, 05:22 PM
maybe we should switch from pc to mac at work. seems like we get viruses and other problems all the time. at least 3 times a week we have something wrong wiht someones computer or the server.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-25-2006, 06:43 PM
What's the difference?

Brent
09-25-2006, 07:36 PM
1) Less Market share, so hacker keep going after windows!

2) Linux based ,so it is a sturdier operating system .

3) More intuitive

I'm Biased , never had a windows base computer !

mitch
09-25-2006, 10:58 PM
For the fam we run 3 IBM Thinkpads and 2 desktop systems (one Dell and one Acer) all w/ XP and IE 6.0. One of the TP's is also used for my work. No complaints, keep everything updated and Nortonized. If you buy a new Win system get the recovery disk. If things go crazy w/ viruses etc. you can reset to a factory image. Sorta like changing your bone marrow everytime you get really really sick, but it can come in handy.

Farmer Ted
09-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Windows 3.0 here, still waiting for the bugs to worked out of 3.1 before I rush into any upgrade.....

of course I'm thinking about ditching the 486SX 25 with the 85 Meg hard drive, 2 Meg of RAM and 4800 modem for one of those new Pentium 90 machines......

milkmania
09-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Windows 3.0 here, still waiting for the bugs to worked out of 3.1 before I rush into any upgrade.....

take your time, it might take a while

Leroy
09-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I continue with XP and all MS apps. Have only rarely used a MAC.

milkmania
09-25-2006, 11:35 PM
I continue with XP and all MS apps. Have only rarely used a MAC.

I don't recall ever touching a mac

Leroy
09-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I think this as with many other things, it's what you want to do, not necessarily the tools you do it with.....

I don't recall ever touching a mac

Tryin-again
09-26-2006, 08:46 AM
I have run the business on Macs since we bought our first PC in '86/'87 - Then Mac was way ahead in the Desktop publishing and were the only choice for our business.. I like them, but now-a-days it is just a Ford/Chevy conversation (IMHO).

THe personal side is great - I take lots of video/ pictures and have carried one all over the state. They seem to hook easily to any camera/video... (All amateur stuff)

I beat the heck out of mine -had multiple laptops since the early '90's and haven't had problems with them in heat, cold, dust, coast humidity..

By the way - there have been more and more viruises in the last few years, although we have never had a problem on the 12-15 macs we have at the office....(hope that doesn't jinks us-lol) :D

hacker
09-26-2006, 08:58 AM
1) Less Market share, so hacker keep going after windows!

I have never done such a thing!;)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-04-2006, 03:59 PM
What software does Mac have that would say be equiv. to excel and word......

east tx skier
10-04-2006, 04:35 PM
When I had a Mac (years ago), the closest I could find was actually excel and word (for Mac). I think there used to be a program called MacWrite, but I'm probably dating my ownership with that one. There was also a program called MacPlaymate. 8p

Tryin-again
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM

Excel & Word - or MS Office - MS been putting them out for years

But for the general office clerk - hm use there are others... I give all the regular office folks Appleworks (it's kind of like Office) and its free

My power users get word...

Maristar210
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Wife bought me a Mac notebook for my fortieth. I'll never use that HP
POFDS ever ever ever again and an I mac will occupy the desktop as soon a the checkbook says it's okay to.

Tryin-again
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
When I had a Mac (years ago), the closest I could find was actually excel and word (for Mac). I think there used to be a program called MacWrite, but I'm probably dating my ownership with that one. There was also a program called MacPlaymate. 8p

MacWRite, McDraw, McPaint evolved into Clarisworks and then Appleworks

Yea, you are dating yourself (Does your wife know - :D )

Maristar210
10-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Word mac / Excel

Same Same as PC:headbang:

east tx skier
10-04-2006, 04:42 PM
MacWRite, McDraw, McPaint evolved into Clarisworks and then Appleworks

Yea, you are dating yourself (Does your wife know - :D )

Had an old version of Appleworks on a 2E back in the early 80s. Huge upgrade from Bankstreet Writer.

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Let's say you typed a doc on an Imac. Burned it on a disc, can you open it on any reg ol' Office users computer, and to do so, do you HAVE to use the word Mac / Excel MAC software?

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Let's say you typed a doc on an Imac. Burned it on a disc, can you open it on any reg ol' Office users computer, and to do so, do you HAVE to use the word Mac / Excel MAC software?

Hmmm.... Not sure about the PC End ... If you don't have access to a mac to re-save the doc to a PC format - I could do it probably..

The WP applications I use usually save to normal format (MAC) but if I am sending e-mail or disc to a client we save as PC format for them..

How big is the file? IF you PM me - Send it e-mail I could probably get it save to a format that your PC would open...Maybe - Not sure what you typed it in...

Tom023
10-05-2006, 10:44 AM
The Microsoft Office suite of programs (i.e., Excel, Word, Powerpoint) are interchangeable between PC and Mac. Create in Mac, it opens seamlessly in PC and vice versa. The only problems I'v noticed is if a font set is used in one that isn't installed on the other...but that is a rare issue.

Edit: Actually with the new Intel-based Macs, you can boot up Mac OS or Windows XP, allowing you to run programs that were only designed for PCs on your Mac, if you are so inclined.

barefoot
10-05-2006, 10:59 AM
ohhh...I just got my first mac the other day...PowerBook G4...supped up, fully loaded, and all that jazz. It's a super sexy machine!

east tx skier
10-05-2006, 11:40 AM

Way back when, going from mac to PC required saving as ASCI II or whatever. Bet it's easier now.

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Way back when, going from mac to PC required saving as ASCI II or whatever. Bet it's easier now.

Yea, I use Appleworks, Word, etc - all of have a way to save a document for Windows, XP, 2005 etc..etc. or yes Ascii or text - etc....
But you should do it on the mac before you transport the doc otherwise you will get the 2 part mac file (doc & resource) instead of the one part file that Windows needs...

3event
10-05-2006, 12:30 PM
I have the wife's Mac and my PC on the same desk. Microsoft Word files go between all the time, Excel can too. No prob except as Tom notes above sometimes fonts or formatting - minor. Mac is not prone to viruses and does not get all cluttered up with software, cookies, adware, etc etc - that's good. But for a PC guy it's hard to locate files and functions. The Mac entry level software is VERY easy to use but lacks much creative control unless you pop for the REAL expensive packages. For example on video work I can do a lot more with a $100 software pkg on PC than I can with IMovie.

If only the Mac could drop onto my network for file/printer sharing that would be cool. Right now its plugged in for internet only.

bcampbe7
10-05-2006, 12:36 PM
...If only the Mac could drop onto my network for file/printer sharing that would be cool. Right now its plugged in for internet only.

Can't you use the Appletalk protocol?

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 12:45 PM
If only the Mac could drop onto my network for file/printer sharing that would be cool. Right now its plugged in for internet only.

You should be able to connect -

Make sure that you go into the "System Preferences" (Under the Apple Menu) and clcik the "Sharing" icon... at the top click "services" - make sure Personal file sharing in on.. (the button below should say stop NOT start) and to the left there is a column of choices that have checkboxes - you will want "Windows Sharing" Checked

Good Luck! :)

3event
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Never bothered to look into linking up the Mac, but here I am on TT and without any other effort I can give it a try !

Truly this is the swiss army knife of bulletin boards!

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Never bothered to look into linking up the Mac, but here I am on TT and without any other effort I can give it a try !

Truly this is the swiss army knife of bulletin boards!

From another thread -

But DON'T TELL GENE! This might equate to a lawnmower or garage Door..... :D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2006, 03:38 PM
Yea, I use Appleworks, Word, etc - all of have a way to save a document for Windows, XP, 2005 etc..etc. or yes Ascii or text - etc....
But you should do it on the mac before you transport the doc otherwise you will get the 2 part mac file (doc & resource) instead of the one part file that Windows needs...
SAY WHAT?!?!?? I made it to "Yea, I" and lost you from there....

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 04:08 PM
SAY WHAT?!?!?? I made it to "Yea, I" and lost you from there....

WFT - All I am saying is that most the Mac programs, like MS Word, you can save the file in various formats for use with various programs or computers....

If you don't specify a different format then it saves as "normal" for that system (ie. Mac) but most times will not open on other platforms ..
(Like - you can put teak oil on a fiberglass platform - but it won't do nothing... :D )

As someone said here - if it was created in MS Word on the Mac it should open with MS Word on the PC.....

Workin' 4 Toys
10-05-2006, 04:11 PM
WFT - All I am saying is that most the Mac programs, like MS Word, you can save the file in various formats for use with various programs or computers....

If you don't specify a different format then it saves as "normal" for that system (ie. Mac) but most times will not open on other platforms ..
(Like - you can put teak oil on a fiberglass platform - but it won't do nothing... :D )

As someone said here - if it was created in MS Word on the Mac it should open with MS Word on the PC.....
OK.
Let me clarify..... FMI.
If you typed a doc in MAC "word" and you emailed it to me, I couldn't open it on a "standard" PC operating with office....Right?... Or could I? OR would I just not be able to edit it?

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 04:17 PM
OK.
Let me clarify..... FMI.
If you typed a doc in MAC "word" and you emailed it to me, I couldn't open it on a "standard" PC operating with office....Right?... Or could I? OR would I just not be able to edit it?

Mac MS Word - PC MS Office --- That should work Since they are both using MS Software -

on editing - I am not sure - I would think you could edit....

Tryin-again
10-05-2006, 04:20 PM
I always go the other way..

People send me PC material and I can open on may mac..

Or I can save the file to open on their PC....