02-05-2015, 12:57 AM
Seems like an unnecessary risk to me.

MC25
02-05-2015, 12:58 AM
I saw that on WW a while back. Surf safe because of a giant platform

BudmanV24
02-05-2015, 01:14 AM
No thanks, I'd rather not.

(Below is a very graphic picture of a horrific injury)

gweaver
02-05-2015, 01:58 AM
:eek: Maybe a little warning of graphic images? Or better yet, link that sort of stuff!! That's nasty!!
G

JasterCraft
02-05-2015, 08:06 AM
Just saw this today.

http://youtu.be/VOvyEpKlAA4

They might as well just say: "Bryant Boats. Everything you want from an inboard boat, just without the safety part."

JohnE
02-05-2015, 08:58 AM
No thanks, I'd rather not.

What's the circumstances with that horrific accident?

Mastercraftdave
02-05-2015, 09:13 AM
I have surfed behind an I/O before and all I could think of was running into the props as the whole time I was riding you could see them spinning.

I have a cousin that rides behind his 30ft cobalt all the time and he thinks Im crazy because I wont ride behind his boat.

TN Barefooter
02-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Surfing behind an I/O is risky any way you slice it. (no pun intended).

dvsone79
02-05-2015, 09:48 AM
I'd never surf behind a normal i/o. But that Bryant has a swim platform that looks like it puts just as much space between the rider and the prop as an inboard does. I don't think I would ever own one of those. But I'd ride/surf behind it if given the opportunity, provided that it does indeed have enough of a buffer between the rider and the prop. I would need to look at it on the trailer first to make sure.

aquaman
02-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Many of those I/O wake boats are Duo-Props.

I know Cobalt makes several models spec'd with them. Maybe the extended swim platforms are long enough to offer a margin of semi-safety???

They are marketed as Wake boats though, and probably have some major disclaimer/waiver about surfing them? :rolleyes:

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2015, 10:14 AM
It says you are 34" away from the prop in the beginning of the video. That doesn't seem like a lot.

CottagerGreg
02-05-2015, 10:17 AM
They forgot to mention on a Vdrive you have a rudder in the way on the way to the prop also... just sayin.....

gweaver
02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
My question would be where is the wake in relation to the back of the platform? Seems like lengthening the platform just means it extends farther back towards where you'd be surfing. Sure, you're farther from the prop, but closer to the platform and the risks associated with that.
G

mzimme
02-05-2015, 12:00 PM
They act like the platform is some kind of barrier. Anyone can stick a big platform off the back, that doesn't mean your surf pocket changes its location. So now, instead of just falling into the prop and getting chopped up, you also blast your face on the platform first and need a full mouths worth of dental work.

Funny that the comments are disabled on that video... because they know they'd get murdered there. Chaparral makes a "wakesurf" boat too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpNgp6kWTQ

lashburn1
02-05-2015, 12:15 PM
My question would be where is the wake in relation to the back of the platform? Seems like lengthening the platform just means it extends farther back towards where you'd be surfing. Sure, you're farther from the prop, but closer to the platform and the risks associated with that.
G

THIS, is my exact thought

An INBOARD wake starts AFTER the Prop , Maybe 12-18" after
An IO wake Starts BEFORE the Prop, Maybe 12-18" before.

SO there is AT LEAST a 24" cut in to the Rideable SAFE ZONE...
The Platform would need to be 2' LONGER than typical to accomplish this?

As I stands now, I see may Rider get within a few inches in Normal conditions (findind sweet spot, learning to ride, Land tricks)

2' may or may not sound like much... but for me , I would be hitting that Platform Often..

The Wake would NEED to be 2' Longer in the usable area to consider this an Option

Just not seeing this as a Solid choice...

mzimme
02-05-2015, 12:19 PM
THIS, is my exact thought

An INBOARD wake starts AFTER the Prop , Maybe 12-18" after
An IO wake Starts BEFORE the Prop, Maybe 12-18" before.

SO there is AT LEAST a 24" cut in to the Rideable SAFE ZONE...
The Platform would need to be 2' LONGER than typical to accomplish this?

As I stands now, I see may Rider get within a few inches in Normal conditions (findind sweet spot, learning to ride, Land tricks)

2' may or may not sound like much... but for me , I would be hitting that Platform Often..

The Wake would NEED to be 2' Longer in the usable area to consider this an Option

Just not seeing this as a Solid choice...

Right... maybe if they extended the hull around the outdrive to essentially move the prop "forward" from where water displacement begins, but as it is now, any boat with a tumor off the back of the transom is going to have a sweet spot that's closer to a spinning prop than any comparable inboard.

If they made something like this, but to more of an extreme, then I would be on board with added safety, but a longer platform isn't helping anyone.

http://www.boattest.com/images-gallery/photos/chaparral_h20sport_stern.jpg

If you recess the outdrive into the transom much more than this, however, you'll be sacrificing being able to even turn the damn boat.

Really, the fact that I/O manufacturers are trying to cater towards surfing tells me that surfing has severely cut into their sales due to wake boats being an option with added luxuries. That's where the I/O's used to shine... is in having creature comforts in some of the higher end runabouts. Now, all these inboards offer a luxury feel, and better big water handling, and it's likely digging into these manufacturers sales. I have no data to prove that, but why else would a company try to market towards wakesurfing with a prop less than 2 feet from their riders?

lashburn1
02-05-2015, 12:25 PM
They act like the platform is some kind of barrier. Anyone can stick a big platform off the back, that doesn't mean your surf pocket changes its location. So now, instead of just falling into the prop and getting chopped up, you also blast your face on the platform first and need a full mouths worth of dental work.

Funny that the comments are disabled on that video... because they know they'd get murdered there. Chaparral makes a "wakesurf" boat too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpNgp6kWTQ

..In fairness Chapperall, they DO NOT make a or Condon WAKESURFING behind there Boats.
The dealer in the video does not suggest this at any Point.

Chap is a decent company in the IO world.

I don't think you are going to see them offer up a SURF system anytime soon

The company in that Bryant Boat video is an AFTERMARKET Surf add on. They will be releasing there product soon through IO dealers TBD...

It MAY be safe in terms of PROPs, but Riders will be sliding into those Platforms Often...Scary

mzimme
02-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I don't even think it's safe for props. If you're standing on a floating board, then you're not going to get under the platform, but what happens in that freak instance where you're coming towards the plateform for the first time, out of control, don't know how to slow yourself down, and your fall backwards, one leg on top of the platform, one leg under it. Leg under goes chop chop chop. Bryant owes chopped leg person millions. Chopped leg person has no more leg, or dies. Bad news.

dvsone79
02-05-2015, 12:32 PM
All I'm saying is I would reserve judgment until I laid my own two eyes on it out of the water to know exactly how close the hazard is and then in the water while underway to see how things might potentially go wrong. For the record I wouldn't ever surf an inboard without the platform attached. It doesn't shorten the distance between rider and prop but it removes a significant piece of the puzzle when it comes to safety barrier.

JRW160
02-05-2015, 01:08 PM
I saw one of those bryants at a dealership. It has a huge platform. I don't think there's any way you could hit the prop on it.

mgs96ps
02-05-2015, 01:19 PM

bsloop
02-05-2015, 01:20 PM
Looks like they are marketing to the "wanabe" crowd. They want to look cool on the surf board.

Video spends 5 seconds (35 sec mark) actually showing a surf rider on the "wake" and another 4 seconds with a shot of the extra platform extension. Wake still looks like a standard washed out I/O.

We all know, once someone gets behind a dedicated Sport boat there is no question about wake size, shape and clean face. Its, can they stroke the check to match the ego of new and patience of learning to handle an Inboard?

Agree with mzimme, 34" appears sufficient for falling forward head first but feet first, with momentum could be asking for trouble.

JRW160
02-05-2015, 01:48 PM
That meat grinder looks too close for comfort....no way! I realize it is in full trim up.

http://bryantboats.com/boats/233X
This is the platform on the wakesurf package

scott023
02-05-2015, 01:55 PM

Wow, that's a massive overhang. I assume that comes off for transport?

mzimme
02-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Wow, that's a massive overhang. I assume that comes off for transport?

It almost looks like it retracts under the already massive swim deck.

So.... how bad does that thing cut into the wave? It's like it's using the damn swim deck as an attitude plate. :D

willyt
02-05-2015, 01:58 PM
if you think that platform looks even remotely good please blind yourself

CantRepeat
02-05-2015, 02:03 PM
What's the circumstances with that horrific accident?

Yeah, doesn't look like a prop strike.

CantRepeat
02-05-2015, 02:05 PM
This video gets beat down a lot for IO wake surfing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl_5X1OOLf0

Mastercraftdave
02-05-2015, 02:07 PM
it almost looks like they have steps coming off the rear of the boat. That looks terrible

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2015, 02:15 PM
This video gets beat down a lot for IO wake surfing.

Yikes!

mgs96ps
02-05-2015, 02:17 PM

02ProstarSammyD
02-05-2015, 02:49 PM
I'm not gonna lie. I want a retractable full blown folding deck on my x2. Just has to be big enough for 2 lawn chairs, a picnic table, and a cooler.......which could also be used for ballast.

No idea why someone would risk their life to ride a wake that small

JRW160
02-05-2015, 03:07 PM
I don't remember if it was removable, but I don't think it retracted at all. All I remember is that the platform was huge and those boats were way more expensive than I thought. I think they were close to $70k with the wakesurf and ballast options.

JohnE
02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I don't remember if it was removable, but I don't think it retracted at all. All I remember is that the platform was huge and those boats were way more expensive than I thought. I think they were close to $70k with the wakesurf and ballast options.

Well, should be no surprise with their new management.

jbkriss
02-05-2015, 03:42 PM
I don't understand why, if they're going to put in a speed control device, a ballast system, a tower, and surf tabs, why they wouldn't just build it as an inboard.

That girl surfing behind an outboard with no life jacket must have shyt for brains. And the captain of that boat? Shyt for brains also.

MC25
02-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't understand why, if they're going to put in a speed control device, a ballast system, a tower, and surf tabs, why they wouldn't just build it as an inboard.

That girl surfing behind an outboard with no life jacket must have shyt for brains. And the captain of that boat? Shyt for brains also.

anyone who buys an I/O for watersports falls under that category

swatguy
02-05-2015, 03:48 PM
This was released last season some time. There was an older thread on it. I think the price tag was still around 80-90k

With that much over hang you have a much better chance of knocking your teeth out and zipping your head than losing an arm.

As far as an I/O not being a Watersports boat. I have been in plenty of weighted I/O's back in the day and a couple recently. Perfect pass worked just as well on their boats as it did on comp boats. Adjust the trim a little and you could get great wakeboarding wakes. They just took a little to dial in. Before the explosion of 100k wakeboats comp boats were just not practical for big lakes and bigger crews. Now with all the "bigger" comp boats you see a lot of them going out the door to would be I/O owners

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2015, 03:50 PM
This was released last season some time. There was an older thread on it. I think the price fag was still around 80-90k.

I believe this would be a Freudian slip. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

swatguy
02-05-2015, 03:55 PM
I believe this would be a Freudian slip. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

Hahahahahahahahahahah. Yes sir you caught that quick........

Here it is

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahah. Yes sir you caught that quick........

After I read it, I had to go back and see if it was really there or if I had just inserted it mentally. :rolleyes:

BrooksfamX2
02-05-2015, 04:18 PM
The solution to safe I/O surfing............... :rolleyes:

04 Star Rider
02-05-2015, 04:27 PM

Those are some massive zip ties holding that cage together!!

04 Star Rider
02-05-2015, 04:30 PM
and while we are on the topic of bad ideas, lets see how many things are wrong with this...

snork
02-05-2015, 04:41 PM
she would be on my lap for starters, maybe bent over the front :D

mzimme
02-05-2015, 04:41 PM
ROFL... a wave runner without a jet. Wonder why we don't still see those!?

MCBOC1
02-05-2015, 04:43 PM
she would be on my lap for starters, maybe bent over the front :D

lol...

CantRepeat
02-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Throw a patent on that baby!! You'll make millions. :D

lashburn1
02-05-2015, 05:34 PM
and while we are on the topic of bad ideas, lets see how many things are wrong with this...

These were out in the Late 70s?
I BEGGED my parents for one...
..They gave me a Dingy and 6Hp Johnson outboard.....

MC25
02-05-2015, 06:52 PM
These were out in the Late 70s?
I BEGGED my parents for one...
..They gave me a Dingy and 6Hp Johnson outboard.....

Ah so you aren't the only one who had their parents buy them a boat.... Hahaha

lashburn1
02-05-2015, 07:02 PM

Full Disclosure- It was the Boat that went on top of their boat...like the one you would use to go ashore when anchored....
They told me it was MY boat when it was home a the dock...

#middleclasskidproblems...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Full Disclosure- It was the Boat that went on top of their boat...like the one you would use to go ashore when anchored....
They told me it was MY boat when it was home a the dock...

#middleclasskidproblems...

Sounds kind of like buying the wife a fine 20 gauge O/U shotgun.:rolleyes:

MC25
02-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Don't think you can call it middle class when it was a tender for their yacht lol

lashburn1
02-05-2015, 07:31 PM
Don't think you can call it middle class when it was a tender for their yacht lol

Middle Class went a long ways in Maryland in the 70s

dvsone79
02-06-2015, 12:32 AM

That thing looks hideous. I'd still hit it though. I'm not too fancy for an i/o as long as it throws a mackin' wake.

gwozhog
02-06-2015, 09:29 PM
:purplaughshe would be on my lap for starters, maybe bent over the front :D

bbymgr
02-07-2015, 09:37 AM

But notice he didn't say......."I remember in the 70's buying myself this killer dingy with a 6hp Johnson outboard and then putting 8 Kraco 6x9 Triaxles on it. I got all the girls on the lake. haha"

BrooksfamX2
02-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Check this out, could make I/O surfing a safe way to go.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsyaQ_cxZY#t=73

lashburn1
02-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Check this out, could make I/O surfing a safe way to go.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAsyaQ_cxZY#t=73

Morning Brooks...
I already got that thread rolling too... LOL

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=65392

zamboniman
02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Something tells me their time to plane and ability to turn better compared to inboard may be a bit over stated or stretched a little.

lashburn1
02-14-2015, 01:07 PM
Something tells me their time to plane and ability to turn better compared to inboard may be a bit over stated or stretched a little.

Although they compare it to an inboard, I think they are referring to their conventional Stern drive on the improvements..

Rebel Skier
02-14-2015, 04:42 PM

That's their comparison to a yatch with 2 inboard props and rudders under it versus two non-trimable pods under the boat, computer controlled by a single joystick for docking.

This new drive I have not see a test on.

You get why they are doing it, though. Surfing is popular. Also, with most boats that are not inboards you have 2 engine options, merc or volvo, and they get to sell you an expensive and expensive to maintain outdrive too.