PDA

View Full Version : Hull differences.......

stump
12-31-2005, 04:01 PM
I know, Iknow..... SEARCH! I've searched, but I can't seem to find the differences in late 70's/early 80's hulls. I know that they went to fibreglass stringers around 83/84, but were there any other changes made prior to this? For example, is a 1979 Stars and Stripes basically the same as a 1982 Stars and Stripes? If not, what are the main differences? Also, when did the teak swim platform replace the fibreglass(?) one as standard equipment? Thanks, and Happy New Year!

6ballsisall
12-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Don't have all the answers but I do know the 70's model MC's had a narrower beam than the early 80's models. Can't remember if the 70's models had tracking fins or not. The hulls were different as the wakes are pretty different as well. Thats all I remember though

Cloaked
12-31-2005, 05:00 PM
I know, Iknow..... SEARCH! I've searched, but I can't seem to find the differences in late 70's/early 80's hulls. I know that they went to fibreglass stringers around 83/84, but were there any other changes made prior to this? For example, is a 1979 Stars and Stripes basically the same as a 1982 Stars and Stripes? If not, what are the main differences? Also, when did the teak swim platform replace the fibreglass(?) one as standard equipment? Thanks, and Happy New Year!

1) Is a 1979 Stars and Stripes basically the same as a 1982 Stars and Stripes?
Essentially yes. 1979 introduced the wider hull as a "variable planing" hull to allow for an different wake for tricks (vs slalom and jump wakes) at the variable plane from a slower speed. At a slower plane the wakes were crisper for lift on the air tricks. Wakeboarding wasn't even thought about then.

This hull design ran through 1985 or 86 (IIRC). The stars went away in 86 but the hull remained until 1987. The stars graphics never returned until the 93 anniversary edition.

2) When did the teak swim platform replace the fibreglass(?) one as standard equipment?
1981 (IIRC) It was early on. The fiberglass boards were my preference over the teak (exhaust rumble was much quiter) but they weren't aesthetically appealing and the matting (used then) was not much more than a non-skid stick surface.

I would speculate that teak was introduced through a business approach, being more feasable for MC to purchase in lieu of making them as part of the boat. That is mere speculation on my part.

BrianM
12-31-2005, 05:21 PM
This hull design ran through 1985 or 86 (IIRC). The stars went away in 86 but the hull remained until 1987. The stars graphics never returned until the 93 anniversary edition.

The hull actually changed in '86. '87 added a new deck. The hull didn't change again until '91.

Cloaked
12-31-2005, 05:22 PM
The hull actually changed in '86. '87 added a new deck. The hull didn't change again until '91.Thanks Brian... I knew I was close.... :friday: :wavey:

stump
12-31-2005, 05:30 PM
So does the 79 have tracking fins?
Sporty, you have a 79 , don't you? I may have to PM you, as I have some other specific questions, but post and let me know if that's cool. Anyway, back to the action........

Cloaked
12-31-2005, 05:58 PM
So does the 79 have tracking fins?
Sporty, you have a 79 , don't you? I may have to PM you, as I have some other specific questions, but post and let me know if that's cool. Anyway, back to the action........
Yes the 79 does have tracks....

The reason that I am sure is that I had a 79 when they initially came out. I currently have an 85. I have been through a lot of old school boats as a hobby.

Please fell free to post here also, as others can learn or refresh.

This is your thread.. Jack it if you like... :D :uglyhamme

6ballsisall
01-01-2006, 01:56 AM
Glad this got posted. Seems I need a refresher. I sure thought the 79 hull was different than an early 80's Skier 19/S&S. I learned something today :wavey: