PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Boat Show Feb 14-22 at Cobo

Theomedic
01-08-2015, 09:26 PM
Are any TT memembers going to the Detroit Boat Show? If so, what days and times are you going? Keep this thread updated to any good Exhibitors or stores to visit for awesome deals! Hope to see some of you there.

MI_Corey
01-08-2015, 10:02 PM
We usually go but we might try the Grand Rapids show this year instead.

bdwb
01-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Not going to Detroit - Action Water Sports is having their own show this year. I will also go to the Suburban Showplace show in Novi. Hate Cobo.

DocPhil
01-08-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm going for sure. I will be going to Detroit and Novi.

I love the boat shows.

What is Action doing?

MI_Corey
01-08-2015, 10:23 PM
How is the Novi one?

DocPhil
01-08-2015, 10:30 PM
It's pretty good. A lot of the same players as the Detroit show. I am looking for a dock setup this year so I will probably look around at Detroit and buy at Novi. And I think Action does the Novi show so it's cool to see the MCs there.

Theomedic
01-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Novi is March 12-15, I'll probably go there too. I have only been to the Novi one once back in the 90's...

bdwb
01-08-2015, 11:24 PM
Action is not doing the cobo event but has a special event they are doing themselves - I don't want to speak for them but I am sure they will post something on their website - will be at their Fenton location.

bturner2
01-09-2015, 06:29 AM
I used to go to both but unless I have a customer interested or just get too bored sitting at home I'll probably skip it again this year. They used to have a lot more vendors and the kids liked going on large cruisers they used to bring. The last Cobo show I went to was marginally larger than the Novi show. The Novi show also had more of what I wanted to see, much easier to get to and a third of the distance for me to get to. Being from the area I also know a few good places to eat/drink that won't break the bank.

I know people are warming up to Detroit but I still avoid it if at all possible. It's hard for me to justify driving to Detroit from Brighton then putting up with the hassle of getting around the D to go to a show that's a shadow of what it used to be.

I'll do the Novi show for sure and will probably head over to Action that week and see about picking up some new gear from the Pro Shop with the money I save from not going to the Detroit show.

MI_Corey
01-09-2015, 12:42 PM
Maybe we will do the Novi show then. The wife will be happy since there's a cheesecake factory :)

Theomedic
02-18-2015, 06:46 AM
Has anyone been to Cobo for this years Boat Show? Looks like I'm taking the family this Sunday~

chriscraftmatt1976
02-18-2015, 07:33 AM
I used to do the shows when I worked for the local nautique dealer, but I haven't been to a cobo show in years. Even then everything seemed like it was dwindling big time. It used to be a lot of sales got done at the shows, but it seemed as prices climbed higher and higher people wanted to ride behind the boat before purchasing, which makes sense. I always hated boat shows, especially Detroit. Every year I'd have to wake a bunch of homeless guys and get them out of my boats in the staging lot before I could move them inside...

So what's the atmosphere the last few years? Lots of sales happening? Crowd turnout?

04 Star Rider
02-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Havn't been to the Detroit show this year, but I will be going to actions show this weekend. They do an in house show with the MC's and cobalts. I will probably hit the Novi show as well

MI_Corey
02-18-2015, 12:30 PM
We went on Saturday and didn't stay long. We are not in the market for any new boat but just like to go look. It's mostly pontoons and the only MC dealer there didn't bring any MC's. We were really disappointed in the lack of boating accessories at the show. There were hardly any boards, skis, vests, handles, etc. We will probably go up to Action for their in house show on Saturday.

bturner2
02-18-2015, 04:44 PM
What Cory said. Used to be able to go to Skier's Pier or Silver Spray and pick up some closeouts. Neither had anything to speak of. The new CC and BUs did look real good though. I'll probably head over to Action tomorrow night and see what deals I may be able to scoop up. They typically have free beer on Thursday so that's always a plus too.

Theomedic
02-20-2015, 02:57 PM
Did anyone happen to notice if anyone was selling floating jetski docks? My father in law wants to but one so he can store his jetski at our house. Thanks for any info.

mlawler34
02-21-2015, 10:10 PM
We went on Saturday and didn't stay long. We are not in the market for any new boat but just like to go look. It's mostly pontoons and the only MC dealer there didn't bring any MC's. We were really disappointed in the lack of boating accessories at the show. There were hardly any boards, skis, vests, handles, etc. We will probably go up to Action for their in house show on Saturday.

Did you end up going on Saturday, we were there for a good hour and a half maybe around 1?

MI_Corey
02-21-2015, 10:39 PM
Yeah we were there about same time. You may have seen me and the wife with our 2 and 3 year old boys.

mlawler34
02-21-2015, 10:51 PM
We sure did! The one little guy kept wanting to go outside! Which we thought was awesome in the days of ipads and video games. We had the 7month old in the black stroller, drinking those two hearted ales. We congregated around the NXT a bunch.

MI_Corey
02-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Yeah right on. I was the one that told you the Ronix limelight your wife liked is a boat board. What lake do you guys ride at?

mlawler34
02-21-2015, 11:11 PM
Yea thought that was you. We had our 04Xstar on Lake Fenton through July of last summer, then we sold it to friends of ours who are on Dixie Lake. Expecting a little one it was going to be tough to carry a payment and we knew we needed something that had a more family friendly wake. You can always make a wake bigger, but you sure as hell cant make an Xstar wake smaller lol.

Where do you guys ride?

MI_Corey
02-21-2015, 11:17 PM
We usually go on sand lake down in onsted/Irish hills area.