PDA

View Full Version : is Deer Season THAT important?

milkmania
12-29-2005, 07:27 PM
I was just looking at our local newspaper's listings for deer killed in this area

6 deer under 55 pounds listed as male & female fawns
one of them was 39 pounds!:eek:

is this typical?
I wouldn't hurt BAMBI, much less Bambi's mother:rolleyes:

Leroy
12-29-2005, 07:38 PM
Hmmmm, did you ever try veal?

Seriously that is too small, typically there is some means to regulate size.

Andrť
12-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Ex F.I.L. and B.I.L. killed a 29 pds a couples of years ago and ate it right at campsite.
They seems to be proud of it when telling the story...
Killing an animal just for fun doesn't seem right in my mind...

JEREMY79
12-29-2005, 09:11 PM
thats pretty small

tommcat
12-30-2005, 07:36 AM
around here you'd just a serious ball busting from the rest of us if you shot one that small. plus we have regulations for a minimum spike count, which pretty much eliminates that problem.

bradamerry
12-30-2005, 08:36 AM
If it doesn't have spots and it is doe day, It is OK around here. I only kill horns!

MarkP
12-30-2005, 09:00 AM
The guy down the street brought home a small one this year. I asked him if that was someoneís dog. He got a little Pi$$ed..

River Rat
12-30-2005, 10:51 AM
We hunt for sport and meat so we always kill the largest animal possible. The only exception would be a buck that has deformed horns that needs to be removed from the gene pool. We have seen small deer killed in our camp but after a severe a$$ eating they normally donít repeat it. A lot of people donít like killing doeís but in West Texas you have to or the population will grow to large and food will become hard to find. On our ranch we kill 1 doe for every buck to keep things balanced.

6ballsisall
12-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I don't get into much big game hunting since we moved out here but did my fair share in Colorado. All the guys I hunt with would've probably shot the guy who shot game that small, it seems only fair. :mad: I am an avid hunter and like to bag an animal but surely not for the sake of bagging game smaller than my dog :shocked:

tommcat
12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
I don't get into much big game hunting since we moved out here but did my fair share in Colorado. All the guys I hunt with would've probably shot the guy who shot game that small, it seems only fair. :mad: I am an avid hunter and like to bag an animal but surely not for the sake of bagging game smaller than my dog :shocked:
we pretty much use the "bigger than a dog" rule too........for deer, not bird :eek:

Datdude
12-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Sometimes the deer look bigger than they really are. We have a marsh with tall grass on our property and when a deer comes in alone it is very difficult to tell exactly how big it is. When there are more than one it is usually pretty easy to spot the larger of the group. Also some people really like venison and as the season is winding down will take anything just to get some meat.

MarkP
12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Sometimes the deer look bigger than they really are. We have a marsh with tall grass on our property and when a deer comes in alone it is very difficult to tell exactly how big it is. When there are more than one it is usually pretty easy to spot the larger of the group. Also some people really like venison and as the season is winding down will take anything just to get some meat.
I knew a girl like that in high school.. Needless to say, very popular..

milkmania
12-30-2005, 04:30 PM
I knew a girl like that in high school.. Needless to say, very popular..

you still got her number:confused:

Ric
12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........

MarkP
12-30-2005, 04:37 PM
What are you thinking??http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/slap.gif Arenít you married?? Iím sure she has gone down hill a little by now anyway.http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/focking.gif.

jimmer2880
12-30-2005, 06:57 PM
Personally - I'd rather eat a yearling, or a small spike than an "old buck". They do taste much better.

I have never shot a doe though - I just think that's wrong.

milkmania
12-30-2005, 08:16 PM
What are you thinking??http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/slap.gif Arenít you married?? Iím sure she has gone down hill a little by now anyway.http://www.deephousepage.com/smilies/focking.gif.

no, no, no, I wasn't really asking.....
I was just inquiring if YOU still had her number hid back somewhere:purplaugh

MarkP
12-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Well, HEII YES I do!!

Leroy
12-30-2005, 08:42 PM
Jsut to stir this up a bit, I don't know the difference in shooting a baby deer vs a full grown deer? When I trout fish I prefer the 6-8" native yearling as they are much better to eat.

As long as it's legal and you eat what you kill it's ok with me. Especially with the deer populations now.

MarkP
12-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I donít hunt any more. Still think huntin is fine.

milkmania
12-30-2005, 09:06 PM
Jsut to stir this up a bit, I don't know the difference in shooting a baby deer vs a full grown deer? When I trout fish I prefer the 6-8" native yearling as they are much better to eat.

As long as it's legal and you eat what you kill it's ok with me. Especially with the deer populations now.

I'll be usre to tell that to my little girl when she sees that I've shot Bambi, instead of his mother.

naw seriously, it makes no difference to me, but it just seems that shooting a newborn fawn instead of a seasoned buck is not very sporting.

here's some more for the kettle...
feeding deer all year so you can walk up on them feeding during season is not hunting (my opinion)
I think if you feed deer all year, you should have to hunt them with a rock in season, more sporting;)

MarkP
12-30-2005, 09:11 PM
feeding deer all year so you can walk up on them feeding during season is not hunting (my opinion)
;)
Its farming.. Thatís all.

My butcher gets his cows like that..

Leroy
12-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I hear you, but chuming is ok for most fishing and not for deer? This one struck me odd as a fisherman.
http://www.fishinghurts.com/feat-newcomic.asp

here's some more for the kettle...
I think if you feed deer all year, you should have to hunt them with a rock in season, more sporting;)

JEREMY79
12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
here is my hunting pet-peeve
(i'm gonna piss some people off)
If you are gonna hunt be a sport. Even my little sister can get a deer within 200 yards and shoot it with a gun. Be a dam sportsman and use a bow, under 20 yards. Then I am impressed. Regardless of the trophy.
Just for the record I only deer hunt with a bow

jimmer2880
12-31-2005, 06:51 PM
FWIW - I don't hunt anymore. Nothing against it, as long as you eat what you kill.

I gave up bow hunting long before the rest though - I just saw too many good shots with a bow that were never found. Broke my heart.

erkoehler
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Thought this was a funny pic....

mrcrowson
02-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Saw these the other day out in my backyard.
How could you shoot something that cute?

Andrť
02-05-2006, 04:49 PM
:firejump: What?
No gators or snakes?
(For all those winter jokes... :D )

Boogieman
02-05-2006, 04:59 PM
hmm . . I would rather be a deer who can run around in the woods for a few years and then get shot . . . then beeing one of those poor cows or pigs who are caged for their whole live and then get killed for food . . .

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefmedia/sharemed/targets/images/pho/t054/T054448A.jpg

I'm not a big fan of hunting . . but if you're not ok with killing animals for food . . become a vegetarian!

mrcrowson
02-05-2006, 05:01 PM
Well here is what happened to a cotton mouth in my back yard.
This one was as big round as my wrist

Andrť
02-05-2006, 05:07 PM
AAAaaagggghhhh!
I hate those things...What's a couples of months of Winter... ;)

JEREMY79
02-05-2006, 05:22 PM

You missed dude, It still has its head

mrcrowson
02-05-2006, 05:59 PM
I didn't take a picture of it. But I chopped off his head and threw it to the fish to chew on, and for the body I left it on the bank to warn the others to stay out of my yard. :eek: