PDA

View Full Version : Great File Sharing Program

Danimal
12-29-2005, 08:02 PM
I have been testing a new file sharing program called Avvenu and it is great. I mainly use it to access documents when I'm on the road but can be used for numerous other reasons. Very easy set up and registration not to mention that it's free.

"Avvenu is a service that allows you to remotely access the photos and files on your computer. You can access your content from any Web-connected computer, PDA, or cell phone. And you can securely share content from your computer with friends and family without having to upload any files. Your recipients do not even need to be a member of the Avvenu service in order to view what you've shared with them. They just click on a link in an e-mail and immediately see what you have shared with them. There are no limits on the size of images or files that can be shared. Version 1.1.8 adds the capability to remotely search your desktop using Google Desktop Search."

I also use it to access my MP3's on my home computer from work. I found that it transfer data rather quick even though it is limited on the host computers upload speed.

Check it out! http://www.avvenu.com/

I am in no way affiliated with this company. I just thouoght it was a great tool for sharing files and photos.

AirJunky
12-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Can't you do that with Remote Desktop already? It's part of WinXP. I use it practically everyday.

Danimal
12-29-2005, 08:40 PM
Can't you do that with Remote Desktop already? It's part of WinXP. I use it practically everyday.

You can but I always found Remote Desktop to be very "chunky" and slow, if you know what I mean.

AirJunky
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Hmmm, I don't. I do tech support for a living & run multiple Remote Desktop sessions at once to 5 different campuses in the western US. Plus another session to my own home PC where I'm surfing the net & typing this now. Seems to work fine. Certainly not like sitting in front of the PC, and I can't view a video over it. But I can run Photoshop or our big call center database without a problem.
Plus I can walk up to 90% of the PCs in the world that is connected to the net & remote home because they all have Remote Desktop already installed.

east tx skier
12-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Bill, care to get me started on it with a rudamentary tutorial?

AirJunky
12-30-2005, 01:52 PM
No problem, Doug. There are a few things that need to be setup to make it happen. If your destination PC is behind a router, then you will have to unblock port 3398 at the router & forward it to the destination IP address. It is also a good idea to set your IP to static so the router is always forwarding to the same place.

Also, if your using a broadband service that runs DHCP or dynamic addressing, then you will probably want to setup a dynamic domain name. This can be done using a small freebie application from http://www.dyndns.com (or other similar services). This app will update the DNS service everytime your ISP updates your IP address. So you don't have to know your destination IP address, just your domain name, ie: ets.homeip.net.

Remote Desktop needs to be enabled on any PC by starting Terminal Services........ I think it's disabled by default.
Right click on My Computer, Manage. Go to Services & Applications, then Services in the left column. Now go to the right side & double click on Terminal Services. Start it & set it to start automatically. When you reboot it, it will be available to remote into as long as it's on a network, ie; private or public.

Now go to another PC & open the Remote Desktop client. Assuming your using WinXP, you can do this by either going to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Communication, Remote Desktop........ or go to Start, Run, type MSTSC & click on OK. A small box shows up with single line for you to type the address. It could be the IP or the DNS assigned address. Once it's connected, you will get a login that looks exactly like the one you log in when your sitting in front of the PC. If it doesn't connect, we'll have to troubleshoot the router port forwarding or the assigned DNS name.

It's pretty easy once you get it setup. The Remote Desktop client is in operating systems back to Win2k & available for free download from MS for operating systems back to Win98.

Hope that helps. And if anyone has any questions about it, drop me a note.

east tx skier
12-30-2005, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Bill. I'll play with it this weekend.