PDA

View Full Version : Maristar Info

FrankSchwab
09-10-2004, 09:26 PM
After 15 years of the best of all worlds (having friends who own boats), it's time to get my own.

I'm really tempted by the mid- to late- 90's Maristar 225, but I'm having a hard time finding information on them. The old Mastercraft forum had the brochures for a few years worth of boats, including '93-'95-'96, but I had a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me.

1. My understanding is that in '98, the Maristar's went to a pylon mounted behind the rear seat, and a much larger gas tank. True? How big a tank?

2. The '96 brochure lists the Maristar 225 as a 3000 pound boat. Another reference (that I can't find at the moment) listed a post-2000 Maristar as close to 3400 pounds. Is this reference correct, and what year did it put on the extra poundage?

3. A more general question - anyone have a good rundown on the changes in the Maristar line by year? Especially '94-'00.

4. Anyone have any of the missing brochures that they can scan and send to TTAdmin for inclusion on the new site, for those of us who can't afford a new Mastercraft, but want to buy your old one so you can buy a new one?

Thanks,

/frank

MasterCrafting
09-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Maristar ehh?...hmmm sry i cant be of help. Goodluck on buying your first MC!:headbang:

FrankSchwab
09-15-2004, 02:31 AM
Anyone?

/frank

NeilM
09-15-2004, 11:18 AM
Frank,

sorry, I don't have the info you're looking for -- I have a 2002 MariStar 210.

Ask TTADMIN if he's got any more brochures he can put up...

There's also a website that has lots of back brochures for sale, but they charge for them.. It's in Canadian dollars, so it's not as painful ;)

They have MasterCraft 00 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 87

http://www.computerboatsearch.com/boatinfo.htm

east tx skier
09-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Welcome, Frank. Sorry I don't have the info handy that you're looking for. Your post reminded me of NSXBill's entry onto the board. Ultimately, he wrote a Prostar 205 changes by year piece that was really thorough. So if you can't get the brochure, you might just end up creating something similar. Good luck.

FrankSchwab
09-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Thanks, Neil. Interesting site - but they sure want a big chunk of change. Let's see, the 1996 brochure was 24 pages long, at $35 + $5 /page, we're talking $150 Cdn for a copy of a free promotional handout. Yowza.

I was hoping that someone else had already collected the information, or that I could get some help here collecting the information.

If any of you Maristar owners out there have any additional information, I'll take on the job of collating it. Send me a copy of any specs you have (say, the Maristar detail page out of your owners manual, and the engine spec pages), and I'll see what I can do.

/frank

Leroy
09-15-2004, 12:58 PM
I have a 2001 230VRS, but do not know the history. If you have a dealer near, they might have kept folders from each year. You know MC HQ has that, if TTADMIN can get them out.

Leroy
09-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Frank; If there are key items you want to know about then you could probably get an answer.

lakes Rick
09-15-2004, 05:55 PM
After 15 years of the best of all worlds (having friends who own boats), it's time to get my own.

I'm really tempted by the mid- to late- 90's Maristar 225, but I'm having a hard time finding information on them. The old Mastercraft forum had the brochures for a few years worth of boats, including '93-'95-'96, but I had a few questions that maybe some of you can answer for me.

1. My understanding is that in '98, the Maristar's went to a pylon mounted behind the rear seat, and a much larger gas tank. True? How big a tank?

2. The '96 brochure lists the Maristar 225 as a 3000 pound boat. Another reference (that I can't find at the moment) listed a post-2000 Maristar as close to 3400 pounds. Is this reference correct, and what year did it put on the extra poundage?

3. A more general question - anyone have a good rundown on the changes in the Maristar line by year? Especially '94-'00.

4. Anyone have any of the missing brochures that they can scan and send to TTAdmin for inclusion on the new site, for those of us who can't afford a new Mastercraft, but want to buy your old one so you can buy a new one?

Thanks,

/frank

Frank My 94 Maristar VRS 225 has a 30 gallon fuel tank.. The direct drive boats of that year came with a 38 gallon tank.( info taken from my owners manual..

My friend has a 99 230 V-Drive ( I believe the new Hull change came in 98 and direct drive is NOT offered anymore) His tank is 60 gallons..

The boats are quite different, not bad or good, just different.. Just guessing, I would say the 230 hulls weigh more.. They are longer, and the ski platform is Attached, rather than molded in ( part of the hull) which gives you more room inside.... my 02 cents....

FrankSchwab
09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Hey, thanks for the Info, Rick.

Can you scan/copy the specs pages out of the owners manual and EMail/Snail mail'em to me? I'll start my list with that.

BTW, nearly bought a '94 about a month ago - pristine shape, located only a mile away from work. I just couldn't convince SWMBO before someone else bought it. Real bummer.

/frank

FrankSchwab
09-28-2004, 05:20 PM
OK, thanks to one of the members of this board, I now have a set of brochures from 97-00. Really useful in getting info. I think I'll put it together in a useful form.

Now, some numbers that aren't in the brochure. The '98 Maristars went through a significant redesign. The molded swim-step on the back was replaced with a bolt-on swim deck. This meant the 98's got significantly longer than the '94-'97's, as the swim-step was counted in the length of the boat, but the swim deck wasn't. My question is, what did MasterCraft do with the extra 18" or so?

It appears from the pictures that they lengthened the sunpad; it also appears that they shortened the interior space(!!!???). So, here's a specific question:

Any of you guys with a:
1. '94-'97 225VRS or
2. '94-'97 205VRS or
3. '98-'0? 230VRS or
4. '98-'0? 210VRS
could you please measure and post:
1. Width of the rear seat (buttspace).
2. Distance from the backrest of the observer's seat to the backrest of the rear seat (Length of the interior)
3. (for my wife) Distance from the center of the backrest of the bow seat to the center of the bow pad (legroom for bow-riders)

As a follow-up, in lengthening the sunpad, is there more space between the stern and the engine for doing routine maintenance tasks?

Thanks for any info you can provide,

/frank

lakes Rick
09-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Frank,

Why dont you just go look at the boats for sale and test drive each one and buy the one you like....

FrankSchwab
09-28-2004, 11:18 PM
'Cause at the moment, I live in Phoenix, and the nearest Maristars I can find for sale are in SoCal, Tx, La, and Fla.

Besides, as an Engineer, I'm interested in Numbers.

/frank

lakes Rick
09-29-2004, 12:04 PM
My buddy is an Mechanical Engineer.. Took him 2 months to TRY to figure out if his 57 ford would take a 289 with his slide rule and tape measure..

My other buddy and I installed the engine in an hour.. Engine mounts bolted right up....

Leroy
09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Frank; I'm with Rick, 2 inches of buttspace will not matter, find one in your area and see if it fits your needs. I have a '01 230VRS which I love. l'm an electrical engr, like numbers also :banana: .

I would guess the key items you can get from the manuals you have, engine, transmission, overall look and color. Have you looked at the local marina? Would guess there are some Maristars there that you could measure, have you been to the local dealer? (attached)

Leec
09-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Hey, thanks for the Info, Rick.

Can you scan/copy the specs pages out of the owners manual and EMail/Snail mail'em to me? I'll start my list with that.

BTW, nearly bought a '94 about a month ago - pristine shape, located only a mile away from work. I just couldn't convince SWMBO before someone else bought it. Real bummer.

/frankFrank where are you located? I am in between Austin and San Antonio Texas. I might sell my '95 225 VRS. My boat weighs 3000#'s and has a 32 Gallon tank. LT-1 engine. & a MC Tandem trailer. The engine has been re built by the MC dealer within the last 100 hrs. and runs fine.
:smile: