PDA

View Full Version : History on Teal 95 MC in MN with Hull Damage??

bridomine99
12-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Reaching out across the MC network....

Does anyone know the history of a 95 PS190 (teal) with some significant hull damage on the keel in MN? My cousin is looking at buying it from a insurance salvage outfit and there is very little information available. I would be extremely grateful to hear the story / more about the condition of the boat. This would bring a new member to the MC family if we could help him out with enough background info on the boat to make him comfortable enough to buy / fix it.

THANK YOU!!

thatsmrmastercraft
12-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I got nothing.

gsxrjtt
12-17-2014, 12:54 PM
shoot if anything is cheap enough just buy it

H2ORidr
12-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Call Midwest Mastercraft. Several of their people are members here but they don't always have time to post so a phone call might get a faster response. Better yet stop in to talk to them and spend some time coveting the new boats and accessories they carry.

bridomine99
12-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Call Midwest Mastercraft. Several of their people are members here but they don't always have time to post so a phone call might get a faster response. Better yet stop in to talk to them and spend some time coveting the new boats and accessories they carry.

On it :). That is approach two of my two part search for info, you guys are step one. The key question is the condition of the motor. He can go look at the boat, but it is unknown at this time if it is a runner, was sank, etc. At degrees 9F here this morning, knowing if it was winterized / etc is pretty critical info.

H2ORidr
12-17-2014, 02:21 PM
What outfit has it for sale if you don't mind saying? If it is close by I could go look at it and provide another set of eyes to see what is up with it. I searched CrankyApe and Crashed Toys and did not find it.

boardman74
12-17-2014, 03:25 PM
^^Those are the 2 most likely suspects. Also keep in mind if its an insurance salvage it is possibly not a local boat. They are often sent out of area to be sold on purpose. Cranky Ape and Crashed toys get stuff from all over the US. Most of their stuff isn't from locally. Do you know for a fact the boat was from the area or are you just assuming because its for sale here?

Shaun R
12-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Unless you have a trailer or do not need one, I would stay away. Found that one as well looking for a salvage boat for parts and use the trailer, but that one comes without one. Keel took a hard hit, can be repaired but you are looking at paying a pro to do it right. Finding a used trailer is almost impossible so you're looking at 3500-4K there. If the bid goes more than 1500, I wouldn't do it. Who knows what type of shape the motor is in or if it was winterized.

bridomine99
12-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Good feedback guys...thank you.

The boat has MN 2015 tags. Just thought I would ask the MN guys thinking there was a chance someone would know the story as it is selling through a small town auction outfit (not one of the big ones mentioned above). Sorry for being a little cryptic with that part of it, but as you can understand, the last thing he would want to create a bunch of energy around it.

As mentioned, the condition of the engine is the main variable, but the price would have to be right to make it worth going through all of the effort. What he does have going for him is that he is a very capable fabricator, has access to heavy equipment to move just about anything, and if he could buy it right, shouldn't have a problem making something pretty nice out of it for the money.

Who knows, maybe we will get lucky and the post will spark a connection to someone who could provide some additional detail. Here are a few pictures I was able to get:

waterlogged882
12-17-2014, 04:54 PM
$2,500, assume the engine is bad (for your protection and a baseline of value) and bring your own trailer. Aside form that, I'd not be willing to buy someone else's problems. Cheap isn't always better.

TayMC197
12-17-2014, 05:17 PM
$2,500, assume the engine is bad (for your protection and a baseline of value) and bring your own trailer. Aside form that, I'd not be willing to buy someone else's problems. Cheap isn't always better.

$2,500 or less I would buy it in a heart beat... the hull damage isn't hard to fix... running gear will need to be replaced, but I'd say for about $6k tops you could have it in awesome shape if you do the work yourself and that's assuming engine needs help.

bridomine99
12-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Running gear looks to be good, so it would likely be the hull work plus whatever power train work is required....

Now who knows the story ? :)

mzimme
12-17-2014, 05:36 PM
That thing looks like it was dropped onto something the way that it's cracked. Maybe dropped from dry storage? That might explain not having a trailer also. If it was run aground, the gel would have been ripped backwards as the boat was stopping. Seems like it just fell on something, especially if running gear is good. Maybe it was stacked wrong, went sideways, and came to rest on some kind of support?

Did it look like it filled with water?

dt37803
12-17-2014, 05:36 PM
This it?
Deleted

bridomine99
12-17-2014, 05:57 PM
That thing looks like it was dropped onto something the way that it's cracked. Maybe dropped from dry storage? That might explain not having a trailer also. If it was run aground, the gel would have been ripped backwards as the boat was stopping. Seems like it just fell on something, especially if running gear is good. Maybe it was stacked wrong, went sideways, and came to rest on some kind of support?

Did it look like it filled with water?

I'm not sure, I have not seen it myself. He is just reaching out to me as he knows I am a MC nut like the rest of us. I think your thought process makes sense though.

Bouyhead
12-17-2014, 07:13 PM

$2,500 or less I would buy it in a heart beat... the hull damage isn't hard to fix... running gear will need to be replaced, but I'd say for about $6k tops you could have it in awesome shape if you do the work yourself and that's assuming engine needs help.

Ditto. If you can't verify the motor is good then you need to bid as if it was toast. Looks like a nice boat otherwise

H2ORidr
12-17-2014, 07:50 PM
I am (or used to be) the King of Auctions. I went to them all the time, especially woodworking auctions back in the day. If the boat is at a live auction there is a good chance it will be had for a decent price. If it for sale at an online auction, my advice would be to walk away. Online auctions have ruined deals because too many bidders can see the items and they can (and do) bid them right up to what is always a too fair to outrageous price. The whole point of an auction is to get something for 10 cents to at most 40 cents on that dollar. Nearly every online auction I have witnessed stuff that I know the hard value of always sells for 80%+ of fair or new value. Why these people bid stuff up like that is insane. Why take a chance and pay 80% for a complete unknown when you can buy new and walk away with a warranty? I see it all the time. K-Bid is the worst. The people bidding stuff up over there are whackadoodles. :rolleyes:

boardman74
12-17-2014, 08:47 PM
^^Total agree. I remember when you used to be able to get deals on ebay back in the 90's. Now its where I go to look to see what stuff is worth. 95% of the stuff goes for market value…like you said to many eyes on it.

I used to do the storage locker thing back in the mid to late 90's and had a lot of good finds. Used to make so cash at it. Now with shows like storage wars, auction kings, etc people think they are locker buyers and bid the stuff up way past what it is worth.

H2ORidr
12-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Oh the deals I used to score when the auctions were live. Went to a cabinet shop auction and picked up a Porter Cable dovetail jig for $20. New cost over $300. Another time they had 20+ Porter Cable 690 routers all in good shape (it was a big production cabinet shop going out of business). A guy won the first bid at $20 and he took one router. Bidding opened up again and I got it at $10. The auctioneer said which ones do you want and I said "I'll take 15 of them" and I proceeded to hand pick 15 routers out of the stash. I still have them all and more. The first bidder had a look of bewilderment when he realized he could have gotten more than one router for $20. After that the price went up to $75 as people realized the stash was getting low, and they could get as many routers as they wanted.

Yeah, I need to find a 12 step program for router collectors. Right after I complete the dovetail jig 12-step program (I have 6 at last count). :D

BudmanV24
12-18-2014, 08:36 AM
^^Total agree. I remember when you used to be able to get deals on ebay back in the 90's. Now its where I go to look to see what stuff is worth. 95% of the stuff goes for market value…like you said to many eyes on it.

I remember back when you used to be able to buy warheads on ebay, lol.

I think there are still good deals to find, but you're right that most stuff goes for too much. Now you just have to look harder. But back in the old days it was kind of the wild wild west as to whether you got what you paid for. I remember a set of Rockford amps i bought once. The kid never shipped them. So did some research and found out that his mom was the prinipal for a school a district super intendent or something. I called her up at work. After that the amps showed up real fast.

And there was the whole process of mail a check, wait for the seller to receive it, wait for seller to ship item, etc.

curver900
12-18-2014, 09:23 AM
^^^ +1 if no way to start it etc... If it sunk and it sat and it froze... you need to assume everything in the motor tranny is toast. nobody winterized it... and with a hit like that my bet is the underwater running gear is toast too... so you are buying a damaged hull and the windshield...

corey
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
I work at Midwest MasterCraft but I'm not familiar with this boat. I think the appraisal of $2,500 or less is good though (assuming it does not come with a decent trailer), personally I think $2,000 or less sounds better if you can't take a look at the engine.

You can find a similar boat in running condition for $10,000-$14,500 depending on condition and options. You will be $4,000 -$5,000 into a new trailer (figure $6,000-$7,000 in for boat and trailer if boat is $2,000) so you will need to repair the hull damage, possibly replace underwater gear and possibly install a new engine for $4,000 if you want to net out ahead of just buying one in running condition. If the boat actually needs an engine this is going to be a pretty skinny deal.

mzimme
12-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't think I'd pay more than a $1,000 for that thing... if anything at all. If I bought it for 1,000, I'd probably just part it out.

boardman74
12-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Unless the boat is a runner, thats probably all its good for(part out). Just to much to put into it when you can just go buy a running usable one in that 10K range.

Even at a $1000 you throw a $4000 trailer in then $4000 for engine and your at 9K. Thats on the low end of Corey's numbers and that before repair and anything else you find along the way. Just doesn't seem like the money is there.

Engine, trans, driveline is the X factor. But from what I see is there is a 99% chance they are toast. Boat was obviously dropped or maybe a on trailer wreck so that is where I am basing likely driveline damage. Boat is a salvage so 99% chance it wasn't properly put away and winterized and considering we are 2 months into a cold Minnesota winter the block and trans are likely cracked.

H2ORidr
12-18-2014, 04:15 PM
A lot depends on what one is going to do with the parts. A guy I know just showed me photos of the most beautiful Chris Craft style 25' boat that he build from scratch. Absolutely beautiful and the pictures of the wake for slalom skiing were amazing. Although it looked like an old boat it was 100% modern because he bought a Bu that had been sunk. Pulled it apart and salvaged the motor and tranny by rebuilding it and getting new boards for the EFI. He paid about $4k for the guts to use in his building project. If you think about parts as pieces of metal that need to be dried out, then things get a bit of a new perspective. but as always, buyer beware.

bridomine99
12-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I will pass it along.

The underwater gear is all gtg (there are more pictures on the auction site), but the engine is a complete unknown from what I understand. He can get hands on the boat and the engine, but being that it is outside in MN, it is pretty hard to tell much. I'll let you know if I hear any more about it, but it seems that we may have exhausted the TT search for folks who may know the story.

Corey: I had suggested he give you a call, so you may hear from him depending on where his interest level lands.

I agree with everyone though that the lack of a trailer is a big negative and personally I would want to hear it run to get a understanding of the state of the engine. He said it had a battery in it, but it was dead and wouldn't turn over. I suggested jumping it, but I'm not sure if he got that far. I would think the auction outfit would want to take the time to bring it into a heated shop and get it running, but again, I'm low on details.

Thanks again.

corey
12-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Cool, happy to help in any way I can!

If he can't get it started (is there a water source to hook the boat up to?) make sure to check for signs of freeze damage on the block and exhaust manifolds. Note that "frost" plugs don't always push out so really inspect the block. Cracks are not always easy to see but here are some examples of ones that were. These were on a 95' LT1

bridomine99
12-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Cool, happy to help in any way I can!

If he can't get it started (is there a water source to hook the boat up to?) make sure to check for signs of freeze damage on the block and exhaust manifolds. Note that "frost" plugs don't always push out so really inspect the block. Cracks are not always easy to see but here are some examples of ones that were. These were on a 95' LT1

Ouch....

And all of that could have been avoided with 10 min of winterizing.

snork
12-20-2014, 01:47 PM
thats what I'd call a frozen block