PDA

View Full Version : New aquatic invasive species training required in Minnesota

sully
12-08-2014, 02:42 PM
From MNDNR:
Beginning in 2015 a new trailer decal requirement is scheduled to start. The new law requires anyone who transports watercraft or water-related equipment like docks and lifts with a trailer in Minnesota to complete an aquatic invasive species training course. After completing the course, you receive a decal that must be displayed on your trailer.

http://trailers.mndnr.gov/

Please don't shoot the messenger.....

GT500 MC
12-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like there is an on-line course I can take to make it easy.

mikeg205
12-08-2014, 03:06 PM
darn... need to take it too... lol just to pass thru.

thatsmrmastercraft
12-08-2014, 03:49 PM
They tried to start this last year but never managed to get things under way.

Doesn't look like they have progressed too far yet either. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

GoneBoatN
12-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Be thankful that they are requiring you to put the sticker on your trailer and not your boat!

Upnorth07
12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
CRIPES! I wonder what this will cost?

I know in 2012 they had something similar as I had to affix a nasty off-green color AIS sticker to the pontoon. I'll be taking that one off in 2015.

Thanks for sharing this, Sully!

tkemperdc
12-08-2014, 04:46 PM
Ohhh hell. I never put those stickers on just start writing officer

boardman74
12-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Yeah they tried the boat stickers a few years ago and it didn't take.

Like said above this was tried to get going last year and it didn't. I don't think its gonna happen this year either. What's next? Rumor has it they are going to assign boaters to a lake and your stuck there!!! LOL

Snipe
12-08-2014, 06:43 PM
We have people (volunteers) at boat landings checking boats anad making sure the live wells are emptied. It's working very nicely in Northern Wisconsin. I have no problem keeping the lakes clean. In fact I encourage it as long as it doesn't become a political mater. We've been doing it for years and have had no problems, as a matter of fact favorable reports have been coming in.

atihanyi
12-08-2014, 08:33 PM
DNR= do not resusitate

madcityskier
12-09-2014, 12:47 AM
They've been handing out voluntary ones at the landings in Madison. I put a layer of cling wrap around the trailer and stuck it to that. Easy to remove when the mood strikes me.

boardman74
12-09-2014, 09:03 AM
DNR= Darn Near Retarded!!

Snipe
12-09-2014, 10:49 AM
DNR= do not resusitate

DNR= Darn Near Retarded!!
I don't agree with everything they do either. Can you imagine what our lakes would be like without some supervision?? Even with big brother watching, look at all the idiots out there. Like it or not, we obviously do need them. Obey the rules and you won't have to worry about them.

boardman74
12-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I've never done anything in my life to worry about rules or enforcement from the MN DNR. On the contrary I was a LEO for many years. My comments stem more as a water fowl hunter and their mismanagement of resources for years. Coming up with programs that don't work and then dropping them after thousands of dollars were spent. I read one report that showed how that stupid boat sticker program for invasives cost the tax payers over a half million dollars. It was never full implemented or required. Then dropped, but not before someone forgot to cancel a sticker order in excess of a few hundred thousand dollars. That then were trash. There are numerous examples like this over the last 20 years. Do some reading on the blunder called lake Cristina or Swan lake if you want to see government waste and mismanagement at its finest. The DNR has yet to come up with a program for invasives that makes sense or works. The best thing they do has nothing to do with tests or stickers. Its the students and interns at the boat ramps in the summer that check people's boats because they are to lazy or stupid to do it themselves.

So to recap this has nothing to do with big brother watching, but their blundering. Not directed at the actual LEO's out there doing their jobs on the lakes. Our lake cabin is a area with a lot of lakes and we are lucky if we see our LEO once every 5 years. My comment isn't about actual or lack of supervision by our local conservation officer. It has to do with the mismanagement by the higher ups in the MN DNR.

Snipe
12-09-2014, 11:27 AM
I've never done anything in my life to worry about rules or enforcement from the MN DNR. On the contrary I was a LEO for many years. My comments stem more as a water fowl hunter and their mismanagement of resources for years. Coming up with programs that don't work and then dropping them after thousands of dollars were spent. I read one report that showed town that stupid boat sticker program for invasives cost the tax payers over a half million dollars. It was never full implemented or required. Then dropped, but not before someone forgot to cancel a sticker order in excess of a few hundred thousand dollars. That then were trash. There are numerous examples like this over the last 20 years. Do some reading on the blunder called lake Cristina or Swan lake.

So to recap this has nothing to do with big brother watching, but their blundering. Not directed at the actual LEO's out there doing this jobs on the lakes. Our lake cabin is a area with a lot of lakes and we are lucky if we see our LEO once every 5 years. My comment isn't about actual or lack of supervision my our local conservation officer. It has to do with the mismanagement by the higher ups in the MN DNR.

I can certainly agree with this. Because this is mainly a boating forum, I will naturally assume these remarks are aimed at boating the enthusiast. The DNR has certainly let us fishermen down in years past as well. I don't hunt so can't comment there. I apologize if I stepped on your toes.

H2ORidr
12-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I got the chance to pester a DNR minion at one of the boat launches this summer. The conversation went about like this:

Me: "nice attempt at stopping the spread of foreign species."
Minion: "thanks, we are doing all we can."
Me: "Really? So how are you stopping the ducks and other waterfowl from spreading plants and other foreign organisms on their feet and feathers?"
Minion: "Waterfowl do not spread invasive species."
Me: "Really? Did you just seriously just say that?"
Minion: "Yes, waterfowl do not spread foreign objects."
Me: "Wow, so every one of Minnesota's 10,000+ lakes got various species of fish and plants all from Divine intervention, and waterfowl did not spread those things from lake to lake over hundreds if not thousands of years? And that must mean that my brother's two freshly dug farm ponds got bullheads, bass and sunfish along with all manner of duckweed and other plants by an act of God. Good thing to know."

<crickets>

curver900
12-09-2014, 02:30 PM
well looks like they will have to give me a ticket or a warning or well whatever.. good luck... another worthless law just like the parents have to take a 90 min course for drivers ed so the kid can drive a car.. egad

boardman74
12-09-2014, 03:44 PM
I got the chance to pester a DNR minion at one of the boat launches this summer. The conversation went about like this:

Me: "nice attempt at stopping the spread of foreign species."
Minion: "thanks, we are doing all we can."
Me: "Really? So how are you stopping the ducks and other waterfowl from spreading plants and other foreign organisms on their feet and feathers?"
Minion: "Waterfowl do not spread invasive species."
Me: "Really? Did you just seriously just say that?"
Minion: "Yes, waterfowl do not spread foreign objects."
Me: "Wow, so every one of Minnesota's 10,000+ lakes got various species of fish and plants all from Divine intervention, and waterfowl did not spread those things from lake to lake over hundreds if not thousands of years? And that must mean that my brother's two freshly dug farm ponds got bullheads, bass and sunfish along with all manner of duckweed and other plants by an act of God. Good thing to know."

<crickets>

Thats Funny. Most of those summer interns aren't to sharp. I had some fun conversations with them this summer while I was working for a dealership taking different boats to the water a few days a week. Had one convince all these brand new boats were mine. That I had one for each day of the week!!

Upnorth07
12-09-2014, 03:49 PM
Boardman, where is your cabin?

At ours (8 lakes), we only see the DNR about once a summer, usually on the 4th of July. However, the county sheriff's are out there all the time and enforcing DNR rules.

The DNR minions are at the ramps doing their AIS checks on busy weekends however.

boardman74
12-09-2014, 05:53 PM
We are on a lake called Blanche. Its in the same chain as Battle Lake and OtterTail Lake. About 17 miles east of Fergas Falls. I'm lucky if I see(or even hear about) either state DNR or county once a year. Just to many lakes for them to cover in that area. Many busier ones that need the enforcement too.

GT500 MC
12-10-2014, 03:59 PM
We are on a lake called Blanche. Its in the same chain as Battle Lake and OtterTail Lake. About 17 miles east of Fergas Falls. I'm lucky if I see(or even hear about) either state DNR or county once a year. Just to many lakes for them to cover in that area. Many busier ones that need the enforcement too.

You're on Blanche too???? I didn't think anyone else on the forum went there. Where are you at? We are at the west end of Madsen's road (don't know the name of it). Last cottage.

I have seen the DNR there once about 4 years ago.

boardman74
12-10-2014, 05:58 PM
Yep we have been there for 51 years now. We are on the small line of cabins on the west shore. 2nd cabin in from your side. I have had Tiges over the last few seasons and just picked up the MC late in August. I think I know where you are at, I know most of the inboards on the lake. White silver and red MC?

tkemperdc
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
Heck I'm going to just crash your places

atihanyi
12-10-2014, 07:14 PM
I've never done anything in my life to worry about rules or enforcement from the MN DNR. On the contrary I was a LEO for many years. My comments stem more as a water fowl hunter and their mismanagement of resources for years. Coming up with programs that don't work and then dropping them after thousands of dollars were spent. I read one report that showed how that stupid boat sticker program for invasives cost the tax payers over a half million dollars. It was never full implemented or required. Then dropped, but not before someone forgot to cancel a sticker order in excess of a few hundred thousand dollars. That then were trash. There are numerous examples like this over the last 20 years. Do some reading on the blunder called lake Cristina or Swan lake if you want to see government waste and mismanagement at its finest. The DNR has yet to come up with a program for invasives that makes sense or works. The best thing they do has nothing to do with tests or stickers. Its the students and interns at the boat ramps in the summer that check people's boats because they are to lazy or stupid to do it themselves.

So to recap this has nothing to do with big brother watching, but their blundering. Not directed at the actual LEO's out there doing their jobs on the lakes. Our lake cabin is a area with a lot of lakes and we are lucky if we see our LEO once every 5 years. My comment isn't about actual or lack of supervision by our local conservation officer. It has to do with the mismanagement by the higher ups in the MN DNR.

I second this 100 percent and now have the pleasure of dealing with the Wisconsin dnr who seem to be hell bent to wipe out our deer herd

GT500 MC
12-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Yep we have been there for 51 years now. We are on the small line of cabins on the west shore. 2nd cabin in from your side. I have had Tiges over the last few seasons and just picked up the MC late in August. I think I know where you are at, I know most of the inboards on the lake. White silver and red MC?

Nice. That's mine, typically moored out along the edge of the docks for two weeks in late July/early August every year. My father-in-law spent his summers up there as a kid back in late 40's/early 50's, moved away, then bought his own place in '92 and renovated it. We've been going up there since then. I love that lake.
I know exactly where you are, I believe you still had your Tige in late July of this year. Probably only one on the lake. A couple of prostar's that I'm aware of but not many MC's there.

sully
12-11-2014, 09:59 PM
What I thought was funny was the couple times I went to Lake Minnetonka and the DNR kid was there telling me all about invasive plants and how I need to make sure I need to clean boat trailer.
I look over at launch which has so much Milfoil floating in it the trailers are just covered with in it has there are pulled out. So I suggest to him instead of just standing there preaching to the choir go grab a rake and starting raking the stuff out so the boaters stop dragging it out.

Jeff247
12-15-2014, 03:25 PM
What I thought was funny was the couple times I went to Lake Minnetonka and the DNR kid was there telling me all about invasive plants and how I need to make sure I need to clean boat trailer.
I look over at launch which has so much Milfoil floating in it the trailers are just covered with in it has there are pulled out. So I suggest to him instead of just standing there preaching to the choir go grab a rake and starting raking the stuff out so the boaters stop dragging it out.

Isn't that the truth! Common sense always gets in the way of spending your tax dollars. I complain about that when I use to Spring Park Bay launch to take my boat out to clean or fill up with gas occasionally. The minions never respond.

mikeg205
01-05-2015, 08:47 AM
was supposed to be ready today.. ;)

blakekrone
01-05-2015, 11:35 AM
was supposed to be ready today.. ;)

Well they did say January, then didn't post a specific date. I've been checking it daily waiting for them to post the information so I can get it done with.

mikeg205
01-05-2015, 11:48 AM
it will prolly say February next ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
01-05-2015, 11:56 AM
They have only been working on this for a couple years. It may be faster than obamacare........or it might not. http://www.7thgenhonda.com/forum/images/smilies/dunno.gif

boardman74
01-05-2015, 04:08 PM
The rumor I heard is this will go the way of the Dodo, just like the sticker thing they tried 2 years ago.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-05-2015, 04:25 PM
The rumor I heard is this will go the way of the Dodo, just like the sticker thing they tried 2 years ago.

The sticker or the MN Department of Conversation? :rolleyes:

Upnorth07
01-05-2015, 04:28 PM
The sticker or the MN Department of Conversation? :rolleyes:

That's funny right there!

I set a reminder a work to check back on this but obviously nothing yet. Hopefully it will die.

mikeg205
01-08-2015, 05:47 PM
We have a date... 1/31/2015 to start training..

Upnorth07
01-28-2015, 01:23 PM
*Update*

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/outdoors/3666230-dnr-postpones-aquatic-invasive-species-decal-program

and

You guys were right!

boardman74
01-28-2015, 01:41 PM
Just like the stickers that you were supposed to put on your boat last time. Another fail and waste by the MN DNR. I was told they wasted over 100K on the last program, wonder how much money they wasted on this program now that won't be implemented. At least in its current form. What a waste of our tax dollars.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-28-2015, 01:43 PM
*Update*

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/outdoors/3666230-dnr-postpones-aquatic-invasive-species-decal-program

and

You guys were right!

I'm still not holding my breath that this will ever happen. http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_images/emotes/wpp/sleep1.gif

mikeg205
01-28-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm still not holding my breath that this will ever happen. http://www.winpenpack.com/en/e107_images/emotes/wpp/sleep1.gif

LMAO... I had it on my calendar to check this saturday cuz it was noted things would be ready Jan 31... checking back with the legislators... now that's funny....

Jeff247
01-29-2015, 10:33 AM
Good news. I was wondering how this could affect me when moving water-related equipment. I have in the past rented trailers and moved docks and boat lifts myself as just a homeowner, not someone who does this for a business.