PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to St. Thomas??

Diesel
12-28-2005, 10:49 AM
The wife and I are leaving on Sunday for a week long excursion. I have never to the Virigin Islands and am looking for some pointers........resturants, things to do, beaches, clubs, etc.

FYI we are staying on the very eastern tip of the island but will have a rental car for mobility.

Thanks in advance :)

prostar205
12-28-2005, 11:12 AM
I've been there twice on 2 different cruises. There are alot of nice golf courses on the island, if that is your thing. Also, the Barcardi factory is on the island and therefore the stuff is really cheap. There is one restaurant that is on top of a really tall hill. It looks on to the area where the cruise ships dock. You can take a tram up to it or drive. I will warn you, if you you drive, it is pretty steep with alot of switchback roads. Oh, and the locals don't care if they run right over the top of you. With that being said, we drove up to the restaurant. However, we were with a guy that lived there.

Here are the only pictures I could find of it. You can see the tram in the background. The restaurant/bar/tourist trap is in the upper right of the last picture. These were taken the deck of the cruise ship.

Enjoy your vacation!!!!!!

OhioProstar
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
Diesel,
I always use TripAdvisor.com for info on whatever vacation destination I am going to. Have Fun

Diesel
12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. Tripadvisor has some great pointers. With all the traveling I do I cannot belive I did not know about that web page, thanks :)

SKI*MC
12-28-2005, 05:58 PM
My parents went there last year ofr vacation. They had a lot of fun. They have a whole bunch of trip pictures, but i'm not sure which ones are from St. Thomas.

T Scott
12-28-2005, 06:57 PM
I went there during a cruise about two years ago. We did one of the excursions recommended by the cruise ship and had a blast. It was a boat ride to a place called "turtle cove". I had the opportunity to snorkel with sea turtles. I probably saw 3-4 different turtles while I was on the excursion. I was able to get about 2 feet from the turtles and could have petted them (although it would have been illegal) very easily. Awesome experience!

rodltg2
12-28-2005, 08:17 PM
i went to st. thomas for a wedding. they drive on the wrong side of the road.

SteveO
12-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Deisel,

We did a day trip on a small boat that looked like the kind the coast guard uses. I can't remember the name of the outfit. It was a great way to see the area quickly. It goes to 3 or 4 different islands, including Virgin Gorda where the baths (huge boulders that are really cool), A snorkel stop, an old "pirate ship" for boozing, etc. Spend some time on St. John. Woody's is a great place to drink the late afternoon away.

Have fun

bfinley
12-29-2005, 10:09 AM
I'm headed to St. John for Jan 8-15th. Anyone else have suggestions about St. John.