PDA

View Full Version : Bump Rails

flipper
12-26-2005, 06:54 PM
I had a couple leaks on my boat so decided to pull the bump rail and recalk the seem of the boat. Here I found almost all of the rivots were loose or missing with damage to the fiberglass around them. I was thinking of filling the holes from the rivots in, and replacing with screws with washers and lock nuts so I don't have to worry about them backing out. Is this a good edea or not?

jimmer2880
12-27-2005, 07:43 AM
Sorry - I don't have any advice, but wanted to "bump" so it's back on top of the thread list.

jkski
12-27-2005, 09:11 AM
I think... and I stress "THINK" that I recall from my factory tour, that they screw the deck and hull together every so many inches on the newer boats. I do not know if the construction has changed at all, but the deck and hull fit together like a shoebox, then a screw is driven throuugh the overlap. I do not remember seeing any lock washers or nuts, but I think there is a backing plate they go through.
Maybe you should shoot a PM to our MC Customer Rep. Gregg and see what he has in the way of advice.

stumbledog
12-27-2005, 09:27 AM
I remember there being a thread on this subject a few months ago. Let me look for it......

stumbledog
12-27-2005, 09:45 AM
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=3340&highlight=rail

Here is a link to one of the threads on rub rail leaks. Do a search with "rub rail" as the topic and you will find some good info.

flipper
12-27-2005, 01:27 PM
I checked out other places on bump rails, and some say rivot and others say screws like wood screws. My thinking is that they use those because they are quick and easy. I would think machine screws and lock nuts would hold better longer.

stumbledog
12-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I would think the screws would be a PIA because of the position. The rivot would be much easier. Once you get into the project you will know what will be best for you.

This is a project I will probably be untertaking in the spring. My rub rail is loose on the one side and I think I have a leak on the other. I will post pics and details once I get underway. I am sure I will be on over my head in no time and asking for help on here.

flipper
12-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I would think the screws would be a PIA because of the position. The rivot would be much easier. Once you get into the project you will know what will be best for you.

This is a project I will probably be untertaking in the spring. My rub rail is loose on the one side and I think I have a leak on the other. I will post pics and details once I get underway. I am sure I will be on over my head in no time and asking for help on here.
Well, I'm into it. It really isn't that bad. I did end up going with the screws with a nylon lock nut on the back side. Where the two parts of the hull come together, all of the rivots had streched and came loose. I found that over time rattling around in there, it made their hole in the fiberglass about a 1/4". I just took all of them out and recalked the seem and put the screws in to pull the two parts to a snug fit. All and all it took me about half a day.