PDA

View Full Version : MC COVER, How long does it.....?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-26-2005, 03:37 PM
OEM Mastercraft covers. How long should they last? Do you replace every few years or ??

I am thinking my new boat lift may or may not have a cover because of the tower. If it does not, how long can expect my cover to last and how often will I have to replace?
Now it is stored indoors for 7 months straight during winter and indoors when its not in use. But starting this season it may spend the other 5 months out in the elements so I don't have to trailer it as much.

When I say how long will it "last" I mean in good shape before it starts becoming non-functional.

T Scott
12-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I have bought boats that are 10 years old that still have the original covers. That is also in the Florida sun!! The biggest tips I can give:

1) Get a cover that fits correctly.
2) Use poles under the cover to keep water from collecting on top.
3) Don't use any harsh detergents that could affect the integrity of the thread in the seams.
4) Make sure it is a quality material like Sunbrella.
5) Don't trailer with the cover on. These things weren't designed to withstand 75mph winds!!

With proper care, the cover should last you 10 years plus....not a bad investment !

ski_king
12-26-2005, 05:04 PM
I used my OEM cover for about 10 years, then the seams started to let go and I replaced it with a canvas cover (which I got from Overtons that lasted about 8. I then had one made of (sorry, I cant remember which high end fabric it is) and have been using it for the last 6 years.

Although when the seams let go on the orginal, I got it resewn and now use it as the winter storage dust cover. The fabris still seems fine.

I did notice that the seams are starting to let go again in the front where sunlight shines in thru the garage window.

Leroy
12-26-2005, 11:06 PM
THis is my 5th winter and still looks good. Around the poles is a little stretched out, but otherwise looks new. Mine is canvas.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-27-2005, 03:16 AM
10 years!?!?! They must be good.....

BrianM
12-27-2005, 09:30 AM
If you are going to have it outside on a lift especially an uncoverd lift I would bite the bullet and buy a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com/) They cover the platform and all of the gelcoat down the side so you don't get any fading. The Sunbrella is watertight but still breaths. Well worth the investment if it has to stay outside in the elements.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-27-2005, 12:08 PM
If you are going to have it outside on a lift especially an uncoverd lift I would bite the bullet and buy a waterline Sunbrella cover from www.skiboatcovers.com (http://www.skiboatcovers.com/) They cover the platform and all of the gelcoat down the side so you don't get any fading. The Sunbrella is watertight but still breaths. Well worth the investment if it has to stay outside in the elements.
Do they fit with a tower?

BrianM
12-27-2005, 12:49 PM
They will custom fit them for any tower configuration. Great guys that make a really nice product.

east tx skier
12-27-2005, 05:44 PM
With support poles and 303 fabric guard every 3 years or so, I've been able to get 13 years and counting out of mine. I had some torn seams beefed up where the tie downs had pulled them loose.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-27-2005, 07:03 PM
My '03 is still in perfect condition, but I was considering a OEM new one for the lift, and the current one for towing.

AirJunky
12-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Mine only lasted about 6 yrs & that was sitting inside a barn & only being used 10 hrs per year.

SteveO
12-28-2005, 08:31 AM

That is not a cover, it's more like a trojan magnum. Looks great and I'd bet that it keeps the inside clean.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 10:19 AM
With support poles and 303 fabric guard every 3 years or so, I've been able to get 13 years and counting out of mine. I had some torn seams beefed up where the tie downs had pulled them loose.
I just noticed you said fabric guard. This is another of your prefered 303 products in the line?

Footin
12-28-2005, 10:23 AM
The boat I sold last year was a 91 and it still had the original cover.
It had a few marks but overall it was in great shape.

east tx skier
12-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I just noticed you said fabric guard. This is another of your prefered 303 products in the line?

Yeah, it basically re-ups the water resistance and UV protection.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Does anyone else other than myself and this person (who I do not know) find themselves looking for a solution like this for towing with the cover on, or for storing it so water doesn't pond in the rear section?
See the yellow?

TMCNo1
01-22-2006, 09:24 AM
In a previous post it was mentioned that the factory type boat covers, especially the older boat covers are not designed for trailering and you are absolutely right! But, I am one to buck the system. In 17 years i have been through only 2 covers [oem], the first one was torn up by a stupid mistake on my behalf, i had it loose on the boat and tried to trailer 300 yards to get gas at 10 mph and a strap fell off and got under a tire and ripped it all to pieces on the windshield, yet we had towed with it over 11,000 mi. by 1993. I got a new cover the week before and had it with me in FLA. as a spare, since then we have used the second cover and have towed with it for over 13,000 mi. I am living proof a factory cover can be used in towing, but you MUST protect the decks with old sheets, blankets, etc and i use foam pipe insulation on the windshield frame, eliminating any sharp edges. The cover MUST be tied down tight and a pole or poles should be used. ELIMINATE all movement of the cover at speed, use tennis balls cut so they fit over your straps where they may contact gelcoat and bungie cords between straps to add tension so if they stretch a little the tension is took up to prevent flapping. Yes I do have and carry with us a new cover "just in case" that has already been set up to tow with, but has never been used. Every trip we took for the first few years taught us several lessons on what not to do or to do to perfect towing with these covers. If it gets dirty from rain and road grime, just wipe cover and straps off with a wet towel, let it dry, wash tennis balls and sheets in the washing machine and dry and your ready to go next time. We don't use the cover locally, just on trips over 100 mi. or so. We towed to Hot Springs Ark., 983 mi. in 17.5 hours, 12 hrs. of rain and no problems at 70 mph on interstate highways. The cover was dirty, but the inside of the boat just had to be dusted off. 17.5 hr. trip home was rain and still no problems, but the key is PROTECT everything and make it tight........................later

captain planet
01-26-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm with TMCNO1. I have towed my boat to Tennessee at least twice and did it with the cover on. You just have to make sure the straps are tight and don't flap, along with towels and such to prevent rubbing on gelcoat.

I have the original cover for my 98 Anniversary and it is stored outside from April to October and is in a greenhouse the rest of the year (i.e. still in sunlight). I put a tarp over my cover to help with the effects of the sun. I got my hands on a second cover just in case soemthing happens to the original, but I haven't had to use it much.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 10:18 PM
In a previous post it was mentioned that the factory type boat covers, especially the older boat covers are not designed for trailering and you are absolutely right! But, I am one to buck the system. In 17 years i have been through only 2 covers [oem], the first one was torn up by a stupid mistake on my behalf, i had it loose on the boat and tried to trailer 300 yards to get gas at 10 mph and a strap fell off and got under a tire and ripped it all to pieces on the windshield, yet we had towed with it over 11,000 mi. by 1993. I got a new cover the week before and had it with me in FLA. as a spare, since then we have used the second cover and have towed with it for over 13,000 mi. I am living proof a factory cover can be used in towing, but you MUST protect the decks with old sheets, blankets, etc and i use foam pipe insulation on the windshield frame, eliminating any sharp edges. The cover MUST be tied down tight and a pole or poles should be used. ELIMINATE all movement of the cover at speed, use tennis balls cut so they fit over your straps where they may contact gelcoat and bungie cords between straps to add tension so if they stretch a little the tension is took up to prevent flapping. Yes I do have and carry with us a new cover "just in case" that has already been set up to tow with, but has never been used. Every trip we took for the first few years taught us several lessons on what not to do or to do to perfect towing with these covers. If it gets dirty from rain and road grime, just wipe cover and straps off with a wet towel, let it dry, wash tennis balls and sheets in the washing machine and dry and your ready to go next time. We don't use the cover locally, just on trips over 100 mi. or so. We towed to Hot Springs Ark., 983 mi. in 17.5 hours, 12 hrs. of rain and no problems at 70 mph on interstate highways. The cover was dirty, but the inside of the boat just had to be dusted off. 17.5 hr. trip home was rain and still no problems, but the key is PROTECT everything and make it tight........................later
Are they stored outside in the elements all the time?

atlfootr
01-27-2006, 07:47 AM
My Sunbrella Boat Cover and Bimini Top are both still holding strong after 13 years :worthy:
Personally, I DO NOT tow my boat w/ the cover on!
I've seen both the hazards and results from doing so.

Sunbrella® Acrylic 9.25 oz.

http://www.sunbrella.com/cgi-bin/usa/fullsize.pl?SP=4666-0000

Custom Boat Covers

No other marine fabric on earth withstands the ravages of water, sun, salt or wind better than Sunbrella®.
It's 100% solution-dyed acrylic fabric locks colors into the acrylic fibers, so they can't wash out or fade.
And it's so durable, we back it with an incredible 5-year limited warranty. Available in many different colors. Excellent storage, mooring and travel cover. It has an applied double water repellent, mildew resistant,
UV resistant finish.

Bimini Tops

No other marine fabric on earth withstands the ravages of water, sun, salt or wind better than Sunbrella®.
It's 100% solution-dyed acrylic fabric locks colors into the acrylic fibers, so they can't wash out or fade.
And it's so durable, we back it with an incredible 5-year limited warranty. Available in many different colors.

TMCNo1
01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Are they stored outside in the elements all the time?
No sir, the boat is kept in our heated or a/c'd basement between lake trips and during the winter, boat has never been winterized in 17 years. We kept 2 other boats in the driveway cause they were a little longer than the MC and we won't live that life again! Covers are carried with us always in the van in case of a storm and are only used to tow long distances with. By the way, one time when the spouse got cranky, i just folded down the seat base of the rear seat and slept in the boat that night, that is my dog house, not the couch! Besides, the boat never talks back to me. Thanks for asking!...........later

Workin' 4 Toys
01-27-2006, 09:51 AM
No sir, the boat is kept in our heated or a/c'd basement between lake trips and during the winter, boat has never been winterized in 17 years. We kept 2 other boats in the driveway cause they were a little longer than the MC and we won't live that life again! Covers are carried with us always in the van in case of a storm and are only used to tow long distances with. By the way, one time when the spouse got cranky, i just folded down the seat base of the rear seat and slept in the boat that night, that is my dog house, not the couch! Besides, the boat never talks back to me. Thanks for asking!...........later
Ok, I was going to be surprised if it was.
I am still wondering how long my cover will be good for if I leave the boat out in the elements on a lift 4 months out of the year(with the tower up, and no canopy), AND tow with it on. Not nec. exact time frame. 2,4,6,8,10 years?
I'd like to think 3 to 4 would be reasonable, maybe more. I am going to start shopping around for one soon.

jollyGreenGiant
03-03-2006, 01:25 PM
I've got a 95 Maristar and leave it in the lake all summer long, Original canvas cover is still going strong, had the seems reinforced as well as a couple small tears fixed last summer but still doing very well. It's the kind that has snaps all around the hull...

AirJunky
03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Ok, I was going to be surprised if it was.
I am still wondering how long my cover will be good for if I leave the boat out in the elements on a lift 4 months out of the year(with the tower up, and no canopy), AND tow with it on. Not nec. exact time frame. 2,4,6,8,10 years?
I'd like to think 3 to 4 would be reasonable, maybe more. I am going to start shopping around for one soon.
I still have mine after 12 yrs. It's been repaired 4 or 5 times & modified to fit around the tower. Plus I bought a Sunbrella one a few yrs ago. So the old factory cover only gets used only in the winter now, thrown over the Sunbrella one.