PDA

View Full Version : need portable police scanner ideas

milkmania
12-25-2005, 12:10 AM
looking for a good handheld police scanner
evidentally I'm looking for something with "trunk tracking"

I've got a Uniden Bearcat BC350A, but I'm not happy with it.....looking for more portability.

anyone around here mess with them?

I don't know what to look for:confused:

Leroy
12-25-2005, 12:17 AM
I used to and have an old Radio Shack radio. I think the technology has changed from then, but my Mom in TN still listens to everything going on there with the same radio.

What are you trying to listen to? Do you know the frequency and modulation?

JEREMY79
12-25-2005, 12:21 AM
I have a Uniden bearcat in my office. I like it but That s about the only time I hear it.

milkmania
12-25-2005, 12:22 AM
typically, I listen to our local sherrif's dept @155.5650 & 155.7000

but I'm wanting to listen to the highway partol in this area. my understanding is they're using a trunked system ( I know VERY little about this)

with cell phones, I think scanners are becoming obsolete also:(

this is like mine, but I want a handheld
http://members.sparedollar.com/SCANER/BC350Ax.jpg

also, it is not for illegal activity

milkmania
12-25-2005, 12:28 AM
I lkie this one....
http://www.leeselect.com/uniden/bc245info.htm

Incorporates SMARTSCANNER. Using your ZIP Code you can have all frequencies in your area downloaded directly to your scanner - both trunking and conventional systems - using the supplied cable and your own PC/modem.

edit:
looks like this is it's replacement
http://scannerworld.com/template.asp?viewproduct=bc246t

JEREMY79
12-25-2005, 01:27 AM
I have a uniden bearcat in my office. it works pretty good.
oops duplicate reply

rem_pss308
12-25-2005, 04:13 AM
[QUOTE=milkmania]typically, I listen to our local sherrif's dept @155.5650 & 155.7000

but I'm wanting to listen to the highway partol in this area. my understanding is they're using a trunked system ( I know VERY little about this)

with cell phones, I think scanners are becoming obsolete also:(

With the trunked system, they are on there own system, and the scanner will not receive them. PLus if their system is like ours. It is Digital, to it is also scrabled before sending it across the air waves.

155.5650 & 155.7000 are high band frequencies.

And yes Most cell phones now a days are digital. Digital means You talk, the phone takes your voice and translates it into numbers and letters, then transmitts that across the air. When it is received. the receiving device translates them back into a voice.

So in short. Listening to your Law, and your cell phone conversations are soon to be obsolete with a common scanner. However you can ride around and listen to people on their portable phones. they are still on the 800-900 mZ

erkoehler
12-25-2005, 04:32 AM
I have a older scanner that I use to listen to the local PD and FD along with the county units. Also, have it tuned to scan ISPERN.

wiltok
12-25-2005, 08:05 AM
Go to radio shack - they have a lot of trunked scanners. Their scanners list which trunked system they are compatible with (i.e. Motorola, etc..). As mentioned above, if the system is digital, you are SOL. Also google scanners - there are tons of enthusiast sites to help with the process. I'm sure there are message boards too....