PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Boat Show vs. The Dealership?

jkski
12-21-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is on whether or not you go to the various boat shows to buy? Also, if you were a dealer, would you take part in the boat show, given it's high cost (knowing you can only take so many models) vs. hosting an event at your dealership where you can showcase all of your boats?

bigmac
12-21-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm curious to see what everyone's opinion is on whether or not you go to the various boat shows to buy? Also, if you were a dealer, would you take part in the boat show, given it's high cost (knowing you can only take so many models) vs. hosting an event at your dealership where you can showcase all of your boats?

My buddy got what I thought was a pretty good deal at the Minneapolis boat show on a new '04 X-10 in 2004. Lots of nice little extras thrown in, and he was clear that that MasterCraft was a better deal than he was offered on an equivalent Malibu from the Malibu dealer at the same show.

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 12:21 PM
do they sell the floor model at the show? i imagine of you bought that one you could get a great deal so they dont have to tow it back. that is of course you dont mind the fact that a bunch of people sat and walked thru it. i know at home show's you can get a great buy on hot tubs if you take the one of the floor and hual it home your self.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I asked about taking one home last year at one of the Chicago boat shows, Nope.
The nice thing about the shows, you get to see how much better MC is than the rest.
I bought a Bike at the Chicago motorcycle show a few years back, I found out later, what I got wasn't as good of a deal as I had thought. Then again, I didn't really shop before hand either.

boatwake
12-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Boat shows are a great place to compare boats. Most dealers offer discounts to buy during the show. However, I'm not a big fan of buying before you have tried it. If you have done all of your homework, test drives, etc. deal away.

You can also get great deals on toys at boat shows. There are usually 3 or 4 venders carrying the same brands. Get the best deal you can from one then see if one of the others will beat it. My wife is incredible at working venders against each other.

rick s.
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
My dad bought a 31 foot cabin cruiser at a boat show in the early 60's in Seattle. If you are armed in advance...know what you want, and what it should cost...boat shows can be useful. I, on the other hand, like to buy accessories at shows on impulse...ropes, handles, boards, gloves, etc., and probably pay more than I should. This year I'm buying tower speakers. NVS Addicition's.

baedriver
12-21-2005, 12:45 PM
If you know what you want I would go for it what kind of better place to compare and get what you want.

rick s.
12-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Make that NVS Addictions. I hate miss-spellings.

tex
12-21-2005, 01:29 PM
Do your reseach before the show and you should come out ok. I have worked the shows before and you can make a killing on gear. Once again due the reseach and negotiate everything!

Diesel
12-21-2005, 03:09 PM
If you are buying at the show make sure the MC factory rep is there. He/she can throw in additional rebates/incentives on top of what the dealer is willing to give. This way everyone is happy and you get a smoking deal.

My dealer and I beat up the factory rep last year at the show and he threw in a factory cash rebate. I was very happy with the deal I got...

Jim@BAWS
12-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Interesting idea...never heard of that. Did not know MC did that. I will
need to look into that.

Jim@BAWS

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2005, 04:05 PM
Interesting idea...never heard of that. Did not know MC did that. I will
need to look into that.

Jim@BAWS
Yeah, yeah, yeah...... You don't want us to know the inside scoop right;) !!

Footin
12-21-2005, 05:02 PM
I go to the boat shows to look for deals on accessories, but I do check out the new models while I am there.

Last year the Cleveland show had some great deals and my wallet left a couple hundred lighter than when I walked in.

This year I will be looking for a wakeboard for my 6 year old.

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 05:51 PM
i wouldnt want to walk around the show with gear under my arm and then the mile walk to the parking lot.

BrianM
12-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Must be nice for all of you that have access to nice boat shows. I went to the one here... once. It was huge and was probably great if you were into fishing or a typical Wally looking for a runabout. The local Malibu dealer was the only one there as far as inboards go. They had three boats. No skis, wakeboards or other gear anywhere at the show. Lots of fishing poles and assorted gear. I was disappointed that the closest MC dealer didn't make the hour drive to make a showing nor did the local Nautique dealer (very small dealership). I do understand the reasoning behind it though. I know it is extremly expensive to participate and the inboard market in southern Louisiana is just about zero. Oh well...:(

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 07:08 PM
the ones out here are great. evrything from small yachts to rubber dingys

Nuts4Water
12-21-2005, 07:32 PM
The boat show is a great place to buy a boat! Along with comparing all other models the incentives are incredible. Most dealers, especially here in the northwest, do a fair amount of their yearly sales at the boat show. Also dealers do not be undersold and do the best they can to sell you a boat.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
It could take two days to see everything here at the Mccormick place show. And if thats not enough, there is the Rosemont show.

warren
12-22-2005, 05:18 PM

you know my response, if you like what you have, stay away from the boat shows. Otherwise you'll end up spending $$$$$$$$$ more then you want on a new boat, rather than keeping what you have.