PDA

View Full Version : Dock bumpers

Kevin Hickey
12-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I was wondering what the best type of dock bumpers to use to protect the boat and also keep the bumper from marring the rub rail. Options seem to be PVC or soft vinyl. Any preferences?

bigmac
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I was wondering what the best type of dock bumpers to use to protect the boat and also keep the bumper from marring the rub rail. Options seem to be PVC or soft vinyl. Any preferences? I use PVC as guide-ons for my boat lift bunk and I made some for my dock ($10 each instead of $40 from the dock mgfr). They work great, but I can assure you that PVC does mar the rub rail. Nothing a couple of brillo pads won't fix with some elbow grease, though. I'm sure that vinyl covers would be better in terms of marring, but IME they don't stand up. At least the PVC is durable.

http://mccollister.info/bumper.jpg
http://mccollister.info/bumper2.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2005, 01:40 PM
We use the rubber ones. And they leave marks on the rail too, but rub off by hand. I guess we should get black ones instead of blue. The marks wouldn't show up then......

Maybe we will just, do the old drill a hole in the tread of a tire and hang it over the edge trick. Use to work well....for the toons...

ski_king
12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Don't use the white one they sell at Lowe's. They left white marks on my rub rail that I cant get off. I replaced them with carpet.

jimmer2880
12-22-2005, 10:33 AM
That setup looks great. A couple docks around my way use PVC - but they set it up so it can rotate easily. So, it acts more like a vertical roller. They work great & don't mark at all since there's very little actual rubbing. I'm going to try to set mine up with them this spring if I have time.

RobertT
12-22-2005, 12:28 PM
Personally, I tried about all of them and found that a 2x6 vertically about 5' long wrapped with carpet works best.

I suggest taking some old carpet or something else soft (I used foam from noodles), and nailing it onto the 2x6s, then covering it with bunk carpet.

I have mine go all the way to the water, I have seen too many boats get damaged because a roller caused them to tip under the fender.

Having them go 3' over the top of the dock helps too, you have a place to hold when getting into the boat.

I put two of these in, then mounted a cleat directly adjacent to my pylon.

Basically, I just pull up to the dock, reach out and grab the rope and slip the loop over my pylon. I have the rope tied off to the perfect length so that it holds it against the carpeted "rails".

I like carpet, because once wet it does not leave any marks on anything. Also, most importantly as noted before, the rub rail cannot get under them in chop and screw things up.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 12:53 PM
That setup looks great. A couple docks around my way use PVC - but they set it up so it can rotate easily. So, it acts more like a vertical roller. They work great & don't mark at all since there's very little actual rubbing. I'm going to try to set mine up with them this spring if I have time.

I had to slot the lower end of the PVC so that it would slip over the dock support pole bracket and extend down closer to the water line and be at a level to accomodate various rub-rail heights. Hence, no rotation possible.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 01:00 PM
Personally, I tried about all of them and found that a 2x6 vertically about 5' long wrapped with carpet works best.

I suggest taking some old carpet or something else soft (I used foam from noodles), and nailing it onto the 2x6s, then covering it with bunk carpet.

I have mine go all the way to the water, I have seen too many boats get damaged because a roller caused them to tip under the fender.

Having them go 3' over the top of the dock helps too, you have a place to hold when getting into the boat.

I put two of these in, then mounted a cleat directly adjacent to my pylon.

Basically, I just pull up to the dock, reach out and grab the rope and slip the loop over my pylon. I have the rope tied off to the perfect length so that it holds it against the carpeted "rails".

I like carpet, because once wet it does not leave any marks on anything. Also, most importantly as noted before, the rub rail cannot get under them in chop and screw things up.

I've done that in years past - lined a cedar 2x4 with bunk carpeting and attached it to the dock post with some countersunk U-bolts. Works well, but ventually the U bolts rust and look crappy. The PVC pipe is actually quite a bit cheaper, weather resistant, and slips on and off easily so it doesn't add to the weight of the dock section when it comes time to carry it in or take it out.

Lot of ways to skin a cat.

RobertT
12-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I've done that in years past - lined a cedar 2x4 with bunk carpeting and attached it to the dock post with some countersunk U-bolts. Works well, but ventually the U bolts rust and look crappy. The PVC pipe is actually quite a bit cheaper, weather resistant, and slips on and off easily so it doesn't add to the weight of the dock section when it comes time to carry it in or take it out.

Lot of ways to skin a cat.

I have a floating dock, so what would I attach them to? Do you screw a pipe to the dock, then cover that pipe with PVC. I like the idea. Worth trying.

I DO see why that would be superior if you had a dock with pipes or piers.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I have a floating dock, so what would I attach them to? Do you screw a pipe to the dock, then cover that pipe with PVC. I like the idea. Worth trying.

I DO see why that would be superior if you had a dock with pipes or piers.
Ooh, floating dock. Nice, but my fear would be that the edge of the dock would be too low to hit the rub rail if there wre no vertical supports, so I'd especially want something that came up vertically high enough to hit the RR. Dock moving, boat moving - seems like it could rub the hull and damage it even with rubber or carpet bumpers without it.

I guess securing a pipe to slip PVC over would depend on the frame that sits on the floats - whether you drill down into the frame edge from the top and slide a galvanized pipe into the hole, then slipped some PVC over it (could be a small diameter pipe since PVC comes in all kinds of diameters), or bolted a dock support bracket for 1/ 1/4 galv pipe to the edge.

http://www.dhdocks.com/products/thmb_31%2Ejpg