PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help!

Sodar
12-21-2005, 03:19 AM
I am currently running the stock three blade prop on my '96 Prostar 190 LT-1 w/ a PowerSlot Transmission. I would like to move to a 4-blade CNC and keep my old prop as a spare. Has anyone done this? Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I do not want to spend $400 on a prop that does not work! Also, what brand does everyone run? Any suggestions would be great!

rem_pss308
12-21-2005, 04:21 AM
I went with a 3 blade acme 543, but I wakeboard.
If you ski, I think the 541 is closer to what you want.
The acme was a great improvement over the original Prop.
But the one I have is not four blade. Maybe someone else can give some input.

Leroy
12-21-2005, 07:52 AM
If you haven't, do a search and read the past history. There are new CNC props from both OJ and ACME that many on here have bought and absolutely love. I've bought, but not changed yet. Doug did a side by side performance comarison of each.

Cloaked
12-21-2005, 08:31 AM
.......... I've bought, but not changed yet. That is not right.

The 3 blade Acme 541 will do the trick (should that suit your application) and it is computer numerical control machined.

BrianM
12-21-2005, 10:39 AM
No need to go four blade. Stick with the CNC 3 blade. I am running an Acme #541 on my '97 190 TBI 1:1 and love it. My ski partner has a '97 205 LT1 1:1 and switched to the OJ XMP 13x12 (same size as the Acme) and is equaly as happy. Either prop is a great choice. Better hole shot, no loss in top end and much better holding power through the course not to mention vibration free and quiet.

jwchapman
12-21-2005, 11:21 AM
I put the 541 (13x12) on my 88 TriStar and the difference was amazing. Great hole shot, holds well and no loss of top end. It took out almost all of the boats vibration.

Also - I saw the clamp below at Lowes for about $10. I figured with some heat from a torch it might work - at least worth a try before I shelled out $70 for a prop puller. A little heat, a couple of light taps, and the prop (original - probably never removed) came right off. Just remember to remove the rubber ends if you are using a torch - they burn.

east tx skier
12-21-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm running the Acme #541 and continue to love it two years after the purchase. Stick with the 3 blade IMO. That said, my father is running a 4 blade XMP and likes it fine. In my tests, the 3 blade OJ XMP performed very well.

www.wakesiderides.com may have picked up my prop test as a host, but I don't remember whether they did or not. If they don't have it, pm me your email address, and I'll email the test to you.

Sodar
12-21-2005, 12:36 PM
So everyone thinks a three blade is better than a four blade? I slalom ski, so I am just looking for a better hole shot and top speed is not an issue (36 mph is all i need!!). That sounds great though, I would love to loose some vibration in the boat. Thanks Guys!

east tx skier
12-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Go Horns!

At least in the case of the Acme, the surface area of the 3 blade is the same as the four blade. So, according to them, hole shot is the same in either prop without having to sacrifice top end.

In comparing the blades of the Acme and OJ XMP in my test, the surface area on the same sized prop was larger with the acme.

Kevin 89MC
12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
In my extremely unscientific test, I changed my (likely original) 3 blade for a new 4 blade, when my sister accidentally hit a rock. I have no idea what manuf/material the 4 blade is. This was about 8 years ago. Same dia. and pitch though. I put the reconditioned 3 blade back on a few times (I keep it as a spare, it is perfectly balanced), and have noticed the following: The 4 is a tiny little bit smoother, but maybe that's in my head! The 4 seems to give me a smaller/softer rooster tail. The 4 seems to get up to speed quicker, and better hole shot. The 4 seems to steer & track better. I think the 3 may give me 1/2 mph more top speed, at best. Some day, I need to swap props in between sets on the same day, just so I can tell better.
Probably not much help, but my :twocents: anyways.
Kevin

Hoosier Bob
12-21-2005, 07:29 PM
I went from an OJ 13X13 four blade to the Acme 541. The 541 by far outperforms the (used and old technology) four blade in all "seat of the pants" aspects. I will say my old three blade legend for slalom was outperformed by the four blade OJ. I am not saying that Three is better than four but the new CNC ACME or OJ 3 blade technology not only lowered my wake and tail while increasing hole shot but also returned the topend. All over the NON-CNC OJ four blade. What else does all that for right at $300? Oh yeah it is smooth but has a funny deceleration noise. For slalom go for it and I don't think it matters what company you chose. See: East Texas! :D
Oh yeah, it also turns better! Go figure.

So everyone thinks a three blade is better than a four blade? I slalom ski, so I am just looking for a better hole shot and top speed is not an issue (36 mph is all i need!!). That sounds great though, I would love to loose some vibration in the boat. Thanks Guys!

Sodar
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
OK, so it sounds like everyone swears by the ACME 541... Has anyone ever used the ACME 209? It is supposedly the 4-blade CNC equivalent to the 541.

crdickey
12-22-2005, 01:51 AM
OK, so it sounds like everyone swears by the ACME 541... Has anyone ever used the ACME 209? It is supposedly the 4-blade CNC equivalent to the 541.

Both ACME and OJ offer a 30 day trial period. Call both and tell them what boat and trans you have and what you want in a new prop and let them tell you what to try. Both are recommending 3 blade CNC props instead of 4 blade CNC.

I tried 3 different Acme prop's before going with a slightly custom #979 12.5 x 12.625 VL3B, 1.125" Spline bore, 0.050 Cup. I have a 2003 PS-197 with a much flatter wake than any I've seen. Butter soft!

Bill @ Acme
Eric @ OJ

BrianM
12-22-2005, 10:31 AM

I'd bet if you called Bill at Acme he would reccomend the #541 over the #209

wesgardner
12-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I second (or third or fourht) the "call Bill at Acme" - get an education...these guys KNOW what works - let him know what you do with your boat (board, ski, chair), you won't be disappointed in the results.

Wes