PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank

Sodar
12-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Today, I pulled my tank out to fix a stuck sending unit. When I pulled the tank out I noticed two things that did not seem right.

First, I noticed that my pick up tube only extends about 3/4 of the way to the bottom of my tank. Is this normal? I can easily extended the tube another 1-1/2" to 2", but do I run the risk of sucking sediment off the bottom of the tank?

Second, I noticed a small amount of sand at the bottom of the tank. I know exactly where it came from because I use the same gas cans to fill up my dirt bikes as I do to fill up the boat... my bad! What is the best way to clean the tank out? I know I can not get the hose and spray it out, so how do I get the tank squeaky clean again? Or should I just leave it be, as it is a small amount and I am running three fuel filters prior to the fuel touching the motor.

Thanks for you help in advance!

MarkP
12-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Iím going to go ahead and say itís a good thing that your pick-up is that length..

NeilM
12-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Get the sand out.

Check the yellow pages. Some radiator shops will steam clean your tank. And yes, it is technically possible to do it yourself with an air sprayer & varsol, as long as you have some environmentally friendly way of disposing of the waste...