PDA

View Full Version : Semi portable storage structures

Matt L.
12-20-2005, 05:07 PM
I'm looking at putting one of those tent like rv type storage structures on my cousins land where I store my 240sc.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They seem to run about $2K. I'd like to get some feedback on brands, durability and life expectancy of the fabric.

Thanks,

Matt

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 11:40 PM
I'm looking at putting one of those tent like rv type storage structures on my cousins land where I store my 240sc.

Does anyone have any experience with these? They seem to run about $2K. I'd like to get some feedback on brands, durability and life expectancy of the fabric.

Thanks,

Matt
Can you be more specific on what you are thinking of getting?

Jim
12-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Cosco has them at a reasonable price

ski_king
12-21-2005, 12:02 AM
I have seen the ones sold at Costco and Sams for $200 and thinking of getting one for $200.
Your problem will be getting one that your 24 ft. will fit in.
Check here. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=0&storeId=6970&N=224712+224717

prostar205
12-21-2005, 12:17 AM
I have a similar one to the Costco version that I bought at GI Joes. It measures 12'W x 25'D x 10'H. It is great in the summer for keeping tree sap, pine needles, general airborne pollutants off the boat. The problem I have during the winter is the vinyl covers sweat and water/ice (if its cold enough) builds up on the underside of the roof. As soon as it warms up with the sun, the water drips onto the boat and cover. Since the enclosure does not get alot of air movement, the water just sits there and collects. The result is mold will start to attach itself to the interior vinyl. I am thinking of moving mine to a fully enclosed and insulated wearhouse for the winter.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2005, 12:18 AM
I have seen the ones sold at Costco and Sams for $200 and thinking of getting one for $200.
Your problem will be getting one that your 24 ft. will fit in.
Check here. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=0&storeId=6970&N=224712+224717
I asked what he wanted because he said $2000.00. I can imagine what he wants for that. Must be canvas and a serious frame.

jimmer2880
12-21-2005, 06:26 AM
I asked what he wanted because he said $2000.00. I can imagine what he wants for that. Must be canvas and a serious frame.

That's the price range of a steel building with no sides - just a roof.

If that's the case - I know a couple people who span 20' wide by 24' and I think 32' deep. They have been there for several years & handled the 36" snow dump we got a couple years back no problem.

bigmac
12-21-2005, 09:17 AM
That's the price range of a steel building with no sides - just a roof.

If that's the case - I know a couple people who span 20' wide by 24' and I think 32' deep. They have been there for several years & handled the 36" snow dump we got a couple years back no problem.

Before dumping more than $1000 on a vinyl-covered enclosure, I'd sure look into a metal building. 5 years ago I was faced with the same choice and ended up building a 20x30 steel building myself, with some help from a neighbor. It cost me $1100 in materials. My only regret (other than wishing it were bigger) is that I used a standard single-car overhead door for entrance. I realized that mistake the first time I tried to back the boat/trailer into the thing.

jimmer2880
12-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Before dumping more than $1000 on a vinyl-covered enclosure, I'd sure look into a metal building. 5 years ago I was faced with the same choice and ended up building a 20x30 steel building myself, with some help from a neighbor. It cost me $1100 in materials. My only regret (other than wishing it were bigger) is that I used a standard single-car overhead door for entrance. I realized that mistake the first time I tried to back the boat/trailer into the thing.

That's what I was talking about. But - the $2k came from an "installed" price. It is rather amazing how cheap they have become.

bigmac
12-22-2005, 09:44 AM
That's what I was talking about. But - the $2k came from an "installed" price. It is rather amazing how cheap they have become.

They're simple structures. Mine is fully enclosed. I went down to the lumber yard and told them what size building I wanted. They figured up the material list, arranged the roof trusses and overhead door, told me how to build it, and delivered them. About the only tools I needed were a hammer, a nut-driver on my electric drill, and a pair of tin snips.

Tom023
12-22-2005, 10:14 AM
About the only tools I needed were a hammer, a nut-driver on my electric drill, and a pair of tin snips.

What, no beer??? :D

Matt L.
12-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Been gone to the Grand Canyon, sorry.

Here is what I am/was looking at.

http://www.sheltersofamerica.com/productdetails.php

Might have a better solution. Dad just stated managing a storage place (retirement job). He gets a free unit and they have some big pull throughs that might work!!!! totally enclosed and the price is right...FREE! They are like 40' long. Back the boat in and use the other door and rear space to store household stuff!!!!

I'm pretty pumped.

But these structures look pretty cool anyway.

Matt

rodltg2
12-23-2005, 04:18 PM
after dealing with 2 of my cheap $200 shelters flying away into my neighbors , i bought a steel one. its great. it was just under $2000 installed i did nothing but write the check.

jimmer2880
12-27-2005, 07:07 AM
They're simple structures. Mine is fully enclosed. I went down to the lumber yard and told them what size building I wanted. They figured up the material list, arranged the roof trusses and overhead door, told me how to build it, and delivered them. About the only tools I needed were a hammer, a nut-driver on my electric drill, and a pair of tin snips.

Wow... that's really cheap. 20x30 - fully enclosed, including the garage door? Hmmm.... That may end up being a fall project next year.

bigmac
12-27-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow... that's really cheap. 20x30 - fully enclosed, including the garage door? Hmmm.... That may end up being a fall project next year.

That cost included renting a tractor for a day with a 6 inch auger on its three-point hitch for the 6x6 vertical posts.

I do have to qualify the cost I mentioned by saying that wood and steel costs have taken quite a jump in the interim - more aftermath of Katrina and some other gulf storms, I'm told. Many or most lumber yards will price the materials for a custom size for you, or they may already have some materials lists for pre-set sizes - many even have them as kits. I found it was a lot cheaper to go through the local lumber yard and build a building that fit the standard size sheets than to buy a pre-fab kit. It was more work, but avoiding the need for pre-cut panels, 6x6's and trusses saved me a lot of money even after giving up on the Skil-saw with metal blade and getting some proper air shears. Also, I did cheap out on the roof vent system, and the project would have cost more if I'd bought a proper-sized overhead door (4 inches of clearance getting my MasterCraft in there - what was I thinking?)

jimmer2880
12-27-2005, 03:11 PM
That cost included renting a tractor for a day with a 6 inch auger on its three-point hitch for the 6x6 vertical posts.

I do have to qualify the cost I mentioned by saying that wood and steel costs have taken quite a jump in the interim - more aftermath of Katrina and some other gulf storms, I'm told. Many or most lumber yards will price the materials for a custom size for you, or they may already have some materials lists for pre-set sizes - many even have them as kits. I found it was a lot cheaper to go through the local lumber yard and build a building that fit the standard size sheets than to buy a pre-fab kit. It was more work, but avoiding the need for pre-cut panels, 6x6's and trusses saved me a lot of money even after giving up on the Skil-saw with metal blade and getting some proper air shears. Also, I did cheap out on the roof vent system, and the project would have cost more if I'd bought a proper-sized overhead door (4 inches of clearance getting my MasterCraft in there - what was I thinking?)

Next time, toss the metal - abrasive blade. Use an old paneling (fine tooth) blade, turned backwards. But, be warned - it will be VERY loud - ear protection is a must. But, it cuts like butter.