PDA

View Full Version : 06' or 07' tahoe

rodltg2
12-20-2005, 05:06 PM
so im at the chevy dealer again looking for the right tahoe and i find out that in 07' there will be a new redesigned model. apparantley the new motor can shut off 4 cyl. when up to speed and get a much better mpg.
so my dilema is either to buy the 06 and save a bunch of money with all the rebates and such, or hold out for the 07' with new motor and body style.

im concerned that the first model year of something is not wise to buy, but on the other hand do i want to buy a brand new tahoe only to look old when the new model comes out in january.

Jim@BAWS
12-20-2005, 05:15 PM
First of all don't buy the TAHOE...spend the extra $1500 and get a Surburban, it is worth the EXTRA room. Spend another $1500 on a 15 in DVD w/ 4 wireless headphones DEFINITLY worth it. Take the deal now.
4 cylinders pulling a boat I dought it. Work your best deal between the GMC dealer and the Chevy dealer. I VOTE GMC YUKON XL

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
12-20-2005, 05:25 PM
My question is how much better is the mileage? I remember hearing, perhaps incorrectly, that the difference in mpg on the Jeep didn't really justify the extra cost of the fancy-schmancy engine.

bigmac
12-20-2005, 05:29 PM
so im at the chevy dealer again looking for the right tahoe and i find out that in 07' there will be a new redesigned model. apparantley the new motor can shut off 4 cyl. when up to speed and get a much better mpg.
so my dilema is either to buy the 06 and save a bunch of money with all the rebates and such, or hold out for the 07' with new motor and body style.

im concerned that the first model year of something is not wise to buy, but on the other hand do i want to buy a brand new tahoe only to look old when the new model comes out in january.

If I were buying a vehicle that had an unpredictable future (like ANY large SUV) and especially from a company with an upredictable future (like GM), I'd lease the vehicle. If, at the end of the lease, the gas crisis is worse, you can just drop the thing off and walk away. If it's better, you can buy the vehicle at the end of the lease. Conversely, if you own the SUV and the gas crisis is worse, you're going to take it in the wazoo for resale value. If you lease, you are only paying for the part of the vehicle you drive. Leasing isn't well-suited to people who drive high annual miles, or who are wedded to the concept of paying off and owning a vehicle until it rusts into the earth.

I lease my Denali pickup for 18,000 miles per year. The residual value (my gauranteed purchase price) when the lease is up in a few months is $21,000. The value of the truck will be $26,000. I'm either going to buy it and re-sell it and re-lease a truck, buy it and trade it in on a new lease, or buy it and lease a 350Z. If something happens to the value of GMC pickup trucks between now and then and its value falls below $21,000, then I'll just drop it off and walk away, and go lease something else.

Footin
12-20-2005, 05:37 PM
I would buy one a year old and save yourself about 20 to 25k off sticker.
As I understand it, dealers can not give away used large SUV's right now.

Datdude
12-20-2005, 05:49 PM
In my opinion(which means nothing), I would get the 2007. The problem with the body style change is that the 2006 will be "old" and therefore worth a lot less when it comes time to get rid of it(assuming you will not keep it until the next body change). I do not know what the upfront cost difference is, but I would still say go with the 2007. In 1998 I bought a Chevy 1500 X-cab 4x4. About a month later the newly restyled Silverados came out and I was stuck with an "old" truck. When it came time to get rid of the truck most people wanted the newer style so I traded it in and got robbed in the process(worse than normal). I really like the look of the new Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalades. If they had a diesel option and a pick up box I might consider one :uglyhamme

PendO
12-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Rod, I'm willing to bet that Ric would agree with me ... in your case buy the 06 so you have a new car now, then trade it in on an 07 and sell the 06 on ebay :)

I like the engine in the Denali (is it still a larger hp engine than the Tahoe?) Also, seems like there were a few traction control features that you could not get on the tahoe that are available on the Denali ... last year at this time I was close to pulling the trigger on a closeout Denali, man you can get some HUGEMOUNGOUS (sic) discounts, then again, you get 2 years depreciation when you take it off the lot (as opposed to the one year you get with a new car:))

If you can hold off I'd wait for the 07, otherwise (if it were me) I'd be bummed out when the 07's come out and my vehicle "looked" old, even though it was only one model year older.

?? So the 07 is out in Jan of 06 ?? How long as the 06 been out?

milkmania
12-20-2005, 06:55 PM
hold out & go with the Dodge Sprinter with the Mercedes power8p

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2003/01/05/152281.1-lg.jpg

with some modifications, you could make a great party van!:headbang:

mercedes-sprinter-van-conversion-to-mercedes-sprinter-van (http://www.danny-steyn.com/mercedes-sprinter-van-conversion-to-mercedes-sprinter-van.htm)

PendO
12-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Work your best deal between the GMC dealer and the Chevy dealer.

Jim@BAWS

Jim, you do see the irony:)

BrianM
12-20-2005, 07:21 PM
I would wait til spring for the '07. Everything that I have read says that the new GMT-900 platform is very much improved. Interiors are night and day better along with general fit and finish. HP and mileage goes up with the displacement on demand 5.3 and new 6.2 engines. Here is a link to info on the new Yukon (same difference) engines and pictures.

http://www.gmc.com/newvehicles/2007yukon/index.jsp

And one of photos for the Tahoe

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Photos/styleId=100491427

BrianM
12-20-2005, 07:29 PM
4 cylinders pulling a boat I dought it. Work your best deal between the GMC dealer and the Chevy dealer. I VOTE GMC YUKON XL

Jim@BAWS

The new 6.2 will shut down to 4cyl while cruising on the interstate for 13 mph city and 19hwy unloaded but has 380hp and 415 ft lbs. when needed. Should be plenty of grunt for any boat. The DOD 5.3 gets 22 mpg on the hwy and still has 320 hp. Again not shabby.

As soon as the new trucks come out (late fall) I am trading mine.

rodltg2
12-20-2005, 07:30 PM
the surbaban is out of the question. the reason i want an suv is to gain mpg and easier to drive everyday. leasing wont work for me because of the high miles i drive. especially in the summer back and forth from my houseboat every weekend. i can get a new tahoe for almost 4K nmore than a one year old. not worth it. plus im specific on the model and color so hard to find one locally and i wont buy sight unseen on ebay.

Cloaked
12-20-2005, 07:54 PM
Body styles are changing in 07 (IIRC).

Jim is has valid points for the consumer as such. I'll have a Burb as soon as they diesel it.

NeilM
12-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Rod, for the reasons stated, I'd wait for the '07. (but it's not my money - it's yours!)

BTW, Displacement on Demand isn't new. Cadillac had it on one of their engines years ago.It just didn't have much of a market when fuel was cheaper.

rodltg2
12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
by the time i sell my truck , the 07 will probably be out anyway.

MarkP
12-20-2005, 10:45 PM
First of all don't buy the TAHOE...spend the extra $1500 and get a Surburban, it is worth the EXTRA room. Spend another $1500 on a 15 in DVD w/ 4 wireless headphones DEFINITLY worth it. Take the deal now.

Jim@BAWS
That’s what I did. Between the Suburban and The Yukon XL. Its, imo a great time to be buying a big suv. They want to get rid of them and we need to pull the Mastercraft..

I would wait til spring for the '07. Everything that I have read says that the new GMT-900 platform is very much improved. Interiors are night and day better along with general fit and finish. HP and mileage goes up with the displacement on demand 5.3 and new 6.2 engines. Here is a link to info on the new Yukon (same difference) engines and pictures.

http://www.gmc.com/newvehicles/2007yukon/index.jsp

And one of photos for the Tahoe

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/FVDP/Photos/styleId=100491427
Brian, I’m having trouble picking out the “night and day” thing. I just got an 04 new this past summer and I see only minimal differences in the interior. The seats are nearly identical, (no better or worse), the controls seem to have had some of the nicer details taken out and actually am more than a little disappointed with the new body style. I don’t know if that one could grow on me or not???

Eagle
12-20-2005, 11:27 PM
Cadillac introduced the V-8-6-4 in 1981. It was not ready for prime time and discontinued after one year. It could not shut down cylinders smoothly and was major egg on the face for Cadillac and GM. It was a good idea poorly implemented.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 11:29 PM
If I were buying a vehicle that had an unpredictable future (like ANY large SUV) and especially from a company with an upredictable future (like GM), I'd lease the vehicle. If, at the end of the lease, the gas crisis is worse, you can just drop the thing off and walk away
And to add to this, on the '07, it will have a higher residual value, so the lease payments would be less than on the '06, and "IF" it ends up being a POS motor/chassis it's THIER problem when you are done with it.
Example: A lease on a $36,000 "window sticker" truck, after wheeling and dealing, you should be able to do a 25,000 a mile year lease for 3 years at "about" $550 a month with ZERO money up front. Just some rounded off numbers to work with.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 11:36 PM
Cadillac introduced the V-8-6-4 in 1981. It was not ready for prime time and discontinued after one year. It could not shut down cylinders smoothly and was major egg on the face for Cadillac and GM. It was a good idea poorly implemented.
I remember those, it seemed like it had a miss all the time.

I drove the Dodge Hemi with this technology, its smooth. But I can only imagine what will happen with 50 to 100K on it. I am skeptical. But then again, I remember being very skeptical when FUEL injection was becoming the norm on Chevys. And making a big deal out of "What do you mean I can't touch the gas pedal to start it" how do I set the choke in the cold. They made it sound like it would blow up if you did.
It will probably be great.
It's what we have to work with until they start using electronic valves in the heads so it can be completely unnoticable, I can only imagine how far GM is from trying it.

bigmac
12-20-2005, 11:57 PM
And to add to this, on the '07, it will have a higher residual value, so the lease payments would be less than on the '06, and "IF" it ends up being a POS motor/chassis it's THIER problem when you are done with it.
Example: A lease on a $36,000 "window sticker" truck, after wheeling and dealing, you should be able to do a 25,000 a mile year lease for 3 years at "about" $550 a month with ZERO money up front. Just some rounded off numbers to work with.

That's about right - and if he has a trade-in, he can either keep the money from that or apply it to the lease, which would decrease the monthly payment by amount of trade-in $$$ divided by 36. Lots of advantages to leasing. If the option is considered, the dealer will run several different leasing companies which will show several different scenarios. The main variable is the residual value - different companies have different concepts of what the vehicle will be worth in three years. Higher RV=lower lease payment but it will cost you more if you decide to buy it at the end of the lease.

André
12-21-2005, 12:00 AM
welcome to the 1000 th post
club Bigmac!
Congrats on time well spent!

Eagle
12-21-2005, 12:05 AM
I read a bunch of articles about the V-8-6-4, and they all said that the technology just wasn't there then. They lacked the computers and electronics we have today; the 1981 Cadillacs had mechanical cable throttles and mechanically controlled transmissions, too. With today's sophisticated electronics and engine management systems, the idea works. I've heard the Hemi system is excellent.

Back to the original question, I'd go with the '07 tahoe. It looks great and with how badly GM needs it to be successful, I gotta believe GM will get it right from the start.

bigmac
12-21-2005, 12:13 AM
welcome to the 1000 th post
club Bigmac!
Congrats on time well spent!

Heh..thanks André. TMC is one of the best discussion forums I've seen, even better than a couple where I am admin.

shepherd
12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
I bought a new '99 Tahoe. They changed the body style and the engine the next year to the current style. It didn't bother me much because (a) I like the old truck-like body style better and (b) one reason I wanted it was because I was more familiar with the time-tested GM 350 cu. in. engine. No regrets. I'm not worried about resale too much because I usually keep my vehicles for a long time, run them into the ground. Why blow your money on new if you already have a decent vehicle. That money could be better spent on a new boat!

Looking at the '07, and the current body style, why does it look like these trucks are morphing into Toyotas???

BrianM
12-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Brian, I’m having trouble picking out the “night and day” thing. I just got an 04 new this past summer and I see only minimal differences in the interior. The seats are nearly identical, (no better or worse), the controls seem to have had some of the nicer details taken out and actually am more than a little disappointed with the new body style. I don’t know if that one could grow on me or not???

Sorry I stick with night and day. Just looking at the dash GM finally got rid of the plastic factory explosion that they called a dash. Seats are similar but that is a good thing as GM had one of the most comfortable seats around. Also they say that the new cabin is much quieter than before.

Diesel
12-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Wait for the 07. I have seen it many times in person and it will be worth the wait. I also belive the pricing will be about the same as the 06s. Late spring early summer you will probably see a big round of incentives as well. Not to mention the value of the 06s and earlier models is about to pulmet with the new model roll out and incentive pricing.

shepherd
12-21-2005, 09:59 AM
hold out & go with the Dodge Sprinter with the Mercedes power8p

:eek3: Man that's ugly 8p

Diesel
12-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Sorry I stick with night and day. Just looking at the dash GM finally got rid of the plastic factory explosion that they called a dash. Seats are similar but that is a good thing as GM had one of the most comfortable seats around. Also they say that the new cabin is much quieter than before.

The pictures don't really do it justice. My wife drives a 03 Yukon and trust me their is a night and day difference just as Brian states. I have not yet had the chance to drive one but it has also been claimed to be very, very, very quiet..................like Lexus quiet :)

milkmania
12-21-2005, 10:10 AM
:eek3: Man that's ugly 8p

it'll grow on yahttp://deephousepage.com/smilies/poke2.gif

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/fun_84.gif

MarkP
12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Well Brian, I cant say I don’t see your night and day now. Looks a lot more like a luxury car now.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Looks nice. I like it. What are the "old school" radio knobs on the left for?

baedriver
12-21-2005, 12:39 PM
A good friend of mine is a sales manager at ford and another at GMC and I was in the market to buy an suv or a truck but decided not to. They both told me to just make an offer because they cannot give them away. The deals you can find on a new suv are real good right now and also the interest rates are much better on new. Throw them an offer and they might jump.

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
i can get the the 06 tahoe LT loaded with more junk than i need like the dvd player and gps etc. for about 500 under invoice now. either way i need to sell my 04 dodge 2500 first so by the time that happens the 07's maybe out. my truck is in perfect shape but it gets horrid mileage, making hard to unload right now.

Scot
12-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Looking at the '07, and the current body style, why does it look like these trucks are morphing into Toyotas???

samething I was thinking.... unfortunetly, the market is focused on soccer moms.... "low step" in and out..... If you look closely at the driver leg space, there is none!.... Compare the cabin to say a late 80's style K5 Blazer, there is no comparison..... The new style looks like there is the same amount of room as a car.....

In the end, I am going to have to trade my 95 Tahoe, that has been rock solid for 190k miles, in on something.... what I don't know....

Leroy
12-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Agree, front end looks a lot like my LX470. Nice looking pull machines! How about that 3/4 ton beast?

http://www.gmc.com/modelSelector.jsp

Diesel
12-21-2005, 03:15 PM
i can get the the 06 tahoe LT loaded with more junk than i need like the dvd player and gps etc. for about 500 under invoice now. either way i need to sell my 04 dodge 2500 first so by the time that happens the 07's maybe out. my truck is in perfect shape but it gets horrid mileage, making hard to unload right now.

That's way too much. For 05-06s they are at/below invoice plus cash rebates between $4500-6500. I bought my wifes 03 at $13K off msrp which was about $7200 under invoice with cash rebates. This was back in 03 when gas was cheap so you should at least be able to match that deal considering today's market. The 07s are suppose to be "value priced" so the MSRP is expected to be less than the 06s.

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 03:45 PM
either you got an unbelievable screaming deal or your confused on invoice. 7200 under dealer invoice is really low. how much did you pay for the tahoe in 03 and what model? 7200 under invoice should have put you at about 26K for a 4x4 .

SOMEDAY SOON
12-21-2005, 03:59 PM
I would wait for the 07 I drove one the other day and there is no comparison to the 06 it is awsome...........

Leroy
12-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Rod; There are sites where people put in what they paid, reasonably accurate as near as I could tell. I did that when I bought my Honda Odyssey two years ago. It helped me get to the lowest tier of buyers for my model and there were people paying 5-7k more.

either you got an unbelievable screaming deal or your confused on invoice. 7200 under dealer invoice is really low. how much did you pay for the tahoe in 03 and what model? 7200 under invoice should have put you at about 26K for a 4x4 .

Diesel
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM

From the contract sheet:

MSRP $45138
Invoice $38795
Cash Rebate $6500
Sale Price $32295

My last duramax was very close to the same deal in addition to 0% 60mths.......

MSRP $49875
Invoice $43589
Cash Rebate $4500
Loyalty Cash Rebate $1000
Sale Price $38089

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 05:23 PM
Rod; There are sites where people put in what they paid, reasonably accurate as near as I could tell. I did that when I bought my Honda Odyssey two years ago. It helped me get to the lowest tier of buyers for my model and there were people paying 5-7k more.

edmunds and kbb have that

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
the incentive rebate is at 4000, but im going to get the 0% financing i think instead.

Diesel
12-21-2005, 05:43 PM
the incentive rebate is at 4000, but im going to get the 0% financing i think instead.

Run the numbers according to the expected sales price and how long you keep/finance the truck. There is a point of inflection over time where the 0% makes sense. If all depends upon how long you are going to keep it and other interest rates available.

$4000 or 0% is a lousy deal IMHO. I would wait until spring or early summer. The MFGs usually panic is they have not hit their projections. In May of 04 I bought my Duramax with a $4500 and 0% for 60mths. Before May of 04 the incentives on the Duramaxes were nonexistent but GM was behind their projections and needed to move some inventory. Rebates change monthly and are regional as well so keep up with them. GMC.com has them all listed and updated.

Good luck.

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 05:47 PM
thanks, in my case if i were to do it today, 0% makes sense . i would end up saving 6500. who knows when ill do it. need to sell my truck first anyway. i'll see what deals there are then.

LakePirate
05-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Finally seeing a good number of these things on the road. I am very disappointed. They looked pretty good on paper and up close at the dealer, but on the road they look like exploders. I also noticed that the rear bumper is a parachute on these things. The rear bumper is all plastic and there is a hole cut out for the trailer hitch insert, but at highway speeds you can see it buckling all over the place. It just catches the wind from underneath the car. Looks kinda crazy seeing that much movement in a bumper.

3event
05-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Lakey, I thought the same. I saw new tahoes at the autoshow and I was underwhelmed. And the 3rd row in tahoe still not fold flat! WTH? More hype than happenin'. If I were in the market I'd be back looking at the Sequoia.

LakePirate
05-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Here is a pic where you can see the rear bumper I am talking about.

rodltg2
05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
they look alot like the trailblazer to me. the ones ive seen with the big 22" wizneels look good..

LakePirate
05-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Here is an exploder.

Thrall
05-30-2006, 02:30 PM

SOme people still pay more, but Diesel is right. Few months ago before I bought my used DMax, I went in to cut a deal on a Cummins Mega Cab 4x4. Sticker on the truck I wanted was $52k. I offered them $40k even and they bit. Invoice was $46k, other discounts got it to about $43k.
I walked away after figuring if they dropped $12k off the sticker on their newest top of the line truck, they'd surely do a whole lot better after diesel topped $3 a gallon and it wasn't the newest thing on the market.
Plus the Chev only had 27k miles and was $15k less than I was going to spend on the Dodge.

Diesel
05-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Rod,

FWIW I was just reading an industry journal today which expects GM to fall short of 2nd quarter sales projections by 15-17%. If you can wait rebates/free money is right around the corner...........especially when gas prices soar over $3 this summer.

If you like the 06 model they will be cheap. GM is suppose to scale back 06 production sometime in the 3rd quarter so any 06 inventory left will be very very cheap. I would look for rebates in the $6500-$8500 range late summer on the SLT/LT Yukon/Tahoes.