PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripes Speaker mount

richardsoncd
12-20-2005, 08:32 AM
I am starting my winter project -"stero installation" my question is, is there a layer of plywood under the carpet before the fiberglass. I want to mount speakers but don't want to drill screws into the fiberglass. Any answers or suggestions?

pilot02
12-20-2005, 08:41 AM
Not exactly sure what specific location you're talking about. Jeremy79 is probably you're best bet on info on that particular boat but generally there is wood underneath or behind the fibreglass on boats of that era. Even on my 89 wood was used in many places (contrary to popular belief).

amber 6
12-20-2005, 09:33 AM
The stringers are fiberglassed then 3/4 inch marine ply is screwed down then this is fiberglassed again to seal the floor then the carpet.

Cloaked
12-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Your original 79 model was not glassed over the stringers. There lies exposed wood. Late 83 and 84 on up got the glass over the stringers.

However you do have a layer (so to speak) of wood as the floor, which lies on top of a honeycomb type configuration which seperates the flooring from the hull. There is about 4 - 5 inches of space as such. I have a picture of the cross-section of the flooring (from a promo advertisement) that I can post when I find it. I'll look sometime this week for it.

With that in mind, the sides of the hull do not have any cavity wall between it and the perceived layer of carpet. Don't be screwing into the side and expect that (same described floor) cavity buffer. You'll find the screw tips protruding through the hull... :(

That said flooring surface is glassed and as far as screwing into it, just seal it with a silicon caulking when inserting the screws. Tiny (relative) pilot holes for the screws make for a user-friendly installation. Go for it...It will work just fine to secure the screws into the floor area.

amber 6
12-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Only a little knowledge and experience! however when I replaced the stringers and therefore floor of my 82 Stars and Stripes the stringers were glassed over?

Cloaked
12-20-2005, 12:15 PM
More pics? :guitar:

I like to see different projects.

I preseme that you may have replaced your stringers (evidently)?

rodltg2
12-20-2005, 12:38 PM
im counfused where are you putting speakers. not in your floor are you..

Farmer Ted
12-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Your original 79 model was not glassed over the stringers. There lies exposed wood. Late 83 and 84 on up got the glass over the stringers.

However you do have a layer (so to speak) of wood as the floor, which lies on top of a honeycomb type configuration which seperates the flooring from the hull. There is about 4 - 5 inches of space as such. I have a picture of the cross-section of the flooring (from a promo advertisement) that I can post when I find it. I'll look sometime this week for it.

With that in mind, the sides of the hull do not have any cavity wall between it and the perceived layer of carpet. Don't be screwing into the side and expect that (same described floor) cavity buffer. You'll find the screw tips protruding through the hull... :(

That said flooring surface is glassed and as far as screwing into it, just seal it with a silicon caulking when inserting the screws. Tiny (relative) pilot holes for the screws make for a user-friendly installation. Go for it...It will work just fine to secure the screws into the floor area.

like this?

http://www.tmcowners.com/photopost/data/500/2705_3.jpg

Cloaked
12-20-2005, 01:18 PM
Yes Sir and thank you kindly.

richardsoncd
12-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Sorry I was vague, I have built small "speaker boxes" to hold marine speakers, I want to mount the boxes on the sides of the boat, flush with the "overhang" I need to attach these 3"-4" wide boxes to the sidewalls, just not sure how to do it, I am not sure if I can screw into the sidewalls.

M-Funf
12-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry I was vague, I have built small "speaker boxes" to hold marine speakers, I want to mount the boxes on the sides of the boat, flush with the "overhang" I need to attach these 3"-4" wide boxes to the sidewalls, just not sure how to do it, I am not sure if I can screw into the sidewalls.

There's not much space from the inside edge of the gunnels to the sidewall of the hull under there.

You might think about gluing or glassing in two blocks of wood, one on either side of the speaker to the inside of the hull. Then, screw the speaker boxes to those blocks. If you don't want to use wood, you could glass in some aluminum angle brackets and screw the boxes to those...

Just some random thoughts...

Good Luck!

richardsoncd
12-20-2005, 03:49 PM
That's sort of what I figured, I will post some pics when I am finished...but I wouldn't hold your breath, I tend to drink a lot while working on the boat so my little winter projects generally take all winter. Cheers to all those who offered up some advice:toast:

M-Funf
12-20-2005, 03:53 PM
...but I wouldn't hold your breath, I tend to drink a lot while working on the boat so my little winter projects generally take all winter.

:purplaugh Glad I'm not the only one :friday: