PDA

View Full Version : Lake Lanier....

warren
12-19-2005, 02:43 PM
I'm thinking about trying out Lake Lanier during the east coast reunion, has anyone been there? How does it compare to Norris or Cumberland?

richardsoncd
12-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I have never skied on Norris or Cumberland, but Lanier is huge, lots of big water and plenty of "hidden places" for good skiing and plenty of places to camp or get hotels, the Gainesville side is the best. I am a bit bias though, I live 45 minutes from Lanier and have a dock there. :D

boatwake
12-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Advertisement:
Lake Sidney Lanier is nestled in the foothills of the Georgia Blue Ridge Mountains. Over 7.5 million people a year visit Lanier. With over 692 miles of shoreline, the lake is well known for its aqua-blue colored water, spectacular scenery and variety of recreational activities.

Constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in the 1950ís, Lake Lanier is a multi-purpose lake that provides for flood protection, power production, water supply, navigation, recreation and fish and wildlife management.
----------------------
My view:
Lanier is a very nice lake. As with any lake near a large city it can get very crouded on weekends (especially the southern end of the lake where the reunion will be), but there are a number of fingers to search out smoother water. Skiing/boarding can be great during the week or early in the morning and late in the day. The water temperature will probably be around 80F during that time of year.

richardsoncd
12-19-2005, 03:22 PM
When is the east coast reunion y'all are talking about, and do I have to sign up or just show up

warren
12-19-2005, 04:39 PM
The reunion is July 14-15, 2006. Go to the news portion of this site and you can get information about the resort.

richardsoncd
12-19-2005, 04:59 PM
The reunion is July 14-15, 2006. Go to the news portion of this site and you can get information about the resort.
Thanks Warren

atlfootr
12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I lived on LANIER, 9 yrs. and still do!
Our ski club host a 45 Mile BareFoot Endurance Race, yearly on LAKE LANIER!
Contact me for any info, whatever -- even if you want some pulls!
I know of some hidden submersible slalomn courses, if anyone's interested. :wavey:
On 01-17-'05, I posted a pic' under the topic "glassy waters". The photo's been removed, so I loaded it into my "Photo Gallery". This time of year there's no one out, so when we have glass - it looks like this!
The photo's titled "Barefoot Cove", check it out.

warren
12-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Can you recommend any good places to stay at that are close to the reunion? My wife and I are planing to come down with about six people.

atlfootr
12-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Definitly Warren, there are many places to stay close bye.
PM me w/ your email address and I'll send you a list w/ phone numbers.

In the mean time, just to give those of you who've never had the pleasure of boating on Lake Lanier alittle in sight of it's actually size - I've posted a few pic's of a nearby marina from 1956 of some before shots and the same marina as of 2005, that we barefoot to it's side from in nearby cove. Also, I included an ENTIRE AERIAL VIEW photo of LAKE LANIER!

Georgia Aquarium in Downtown Atlanta ...
The Georgia Aquarium in Downtown Atlanta will be one of the largest aquariums in the world, showcasing over 55,000 different aquatic animals and is destined to become a premier tourist attraction.

1st (2 pic's) from 1959
2nd as of today 2005