PDA

View Full Version : Injuries.

stevo137
12-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, with no improvement since my shoulder injury at Mania, I decided to go the the orthopaedic doc. Found a good one 10 minutes from home on my insurance network. She said that she didn't think I tore the cuff, gave me a cortisone shot, script to Celebrex, and getting some therapy starting Monday. She will see me again in a month to see my improvement and determine if I need an MRI or not.
Feels better already, was finally able to work out with some weights in my gym today. :)
I should have done this much sooner and maybe I wouldn't have been such a crab*ss!
Anyway, thought this might be a good thread for us to share if we get an injury and what what type of treatment we receive for it.

lakes Rick
12-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Had X-rays and MRI on my shoulder I hurt last spring on my Quad.. Doc says not bad, but sent me to Physical Therapy.. Shoulder hurts worse than it did..... Only good thing are the women working there.. They look like they work out all day long... DOM time......

88 PS190
12-18-2005, 05:20 PM
When i was younger i spun across the surface of the water, and the ski remained attached, ended up w/ a spiral fractured femur. That was a bit of a wreck. Had rods in it for a year, w/ crutches for 9 months and limited mobility for a while after that, then had the rods removed, and more crutches. Plus PT and such. which since my mom is a physical therapist was a little close to home.

fskof
12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Shoulder injuries suck!!! On June 7 I was involved in a motorcycle accident thanks to a woman driving a SUV, talking on a cell phone and not seeing the stop sign. Anyway 2 surgeries later I'm still off of work and going to physical therapy 3 times a week and like what lakes Rick said the woman there are HOT!!. Dont mess around with shoulders. If its sore have it checked!
Good luck and I hope you will be back on the ski's in spring.

Leroy
12-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Hope you are getting better Stevo, that is a long time from Mania! Shoulders seem to be more mysterous than even knees.

Middle son just had surgery 12/8 to fix tore meniscus in his left knee from Soccer injury just before THanksgiving. Of all of the knee injuries this is the one to have. Out for 3 weeks then can play again.

JimN
12-18-2005, 07:49 PM
fskof- where do you go for therapy, Elite or away from the North Shore?

fskof
12-18-2005, 10:17 PM
I been going to NovaCare Rehabilitation.

P-hat_in_Cincy
12-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Stevo137 & lakes Rick,
Just curious as to what your shoulder injury symptoms were? I've been having some pain for the past month or so. No "trauma" I can remember, but shoulder pops thru rotation and there is pain/irritation in the forward part of my shoulder to the upper portion of my bicep. Not tender to the touch or anything.

SKI*MC
12-18-2005, 11:14 PM
About the last weekend of summer i spriend my ankle jumping on a trampoline, I couldn't even walk for 2 days. I was on the ski by the end of the week though... then i went on the wakeboard, did a 180, and ended up kissing the nose of the board on the landing. (both of my feet stayed on the bindings, and I sunk my head into the water and screamed my lungs out!)

lakes Rick
12-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Stevo137 & lakes Rick,
Just curious as to what your shoulder injury symptoms were? I've been having some pain for the past month or so. No "trauma" I can remember, but shoulder pops thru rotation and there is pain/irritation in the forward part of my shoulder to the upper portion of my bicep. Not tender to the touch or anything.

After crashing on my Quad, I went to my doctor with a swollen and very sore shoulder.. He worked it around and could not see anything wrong with it.. Said to come back later if it did not get better.. It got better, but never like "new" again.. A few months later it really started to hurt.. Went in for Xrays and the MRI, and was told nothing to operate on, but sent me to PT...

Personally I think PT is really a rip off.. At $100 a pop twice a week, I would recommend to anyone looking for a big dollar job to look into this gimmick..... As I said above, it hurts worse than ever now. Popping, hurts when flexing back, really hard to say where exactly.. Could be some arthritis in mine being 50......

ntidsl
12-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Was rear ended by some dude going 65mph while I was stopped at a light last xmas eve...tore absolutely everything in my shoulder since i had the death grip on the steering wheel. Luckily I was in a two month old 2004 new f150. That truck saved 3 lives that day!!!

Anyway after a long surgery and 5 months of PT 4 days a week I could start skiing again. No pain, no problems, just can't run marathons anymore. The back and forth motion of my arm irritates it horribly.

I have 3 staples holding my cartlidge onto my bone and tons of scar tissue but my doc says skiing isnt going to hurt it...I never thought I would ski again, so now my appreciation for being able to ski had grown. You never realize how nice it is till you cant do it. I missed almost a whole summer of skiing.

richardsoncd
12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Was rear ended by some dude going 65mph while I was stopped at a light last xmas eve...tore absolutely everything in my shoulder since i had the death grip on the steering wheel. Luckily I was in a two month old 2004 new f150. That truck saved 3 lives that day!!!

Anyway after a long surgery and 5 months of PT 4 days a week I could start skiing again. No pain, no problems, just can't run marathons anymore. The back and forth motion of my arm irritates it horribly.

I have 3 staples holding my cartlidge onto my bone and tons of scar tissue but my doc says skiing isnt going to hurt it...I never thought I would ski again, so now my appreciation for being able to ski had grown. You never realize how nice it is till you cant do it. I missed almost a whole summer of skiing.

Glad to hear you are back up and skiing. My go to guy at the local marine shop had to stop skiing after he tore his ACL and MCL in 2003 and fell again this season on his slalom and broke his femur in two places. I have never heard of such extreme leg injuries from skiing, he wasn't in hard shells either.

Jorski
12-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Shoulders are tough...they are rarely "the same" though they can improve.

Two winters ago I completely severed three ligaments in my right shoulder in a snow skiing fall...(ski came of at an extremely high rate of speed).

With three ligaments rebuilt and a giant screw holding my clavicle down, I was able to start skiing after about 4 months (which was too soon). Even added a second surgery to remove the screw - which was loose due to waterskiing too soon.

In the end it didn't feel right for about a year.

Good luck!

M-Funf
12-19-2005, 03:25 PM
You're right on about shoulders never being the same. About 7-8 years ago, I dislocated and separated my left shoulder in a mountain biking accident. Ripped up my left side in a head first fall, cracked my helmet against a rock, and landed on my left upper arm, pulling the top out. It went right back in, but tore it up pretty bad. Had to hike out about 3/4 mile.

I went to Dr. Gary Fanton at S.O.A.R. in Portola Valley. They do quite a bit of work on the 49ers and the Giants. He said that it probably didn't warrant surgery, but that I'd probably be back in 4-5 years for surgery when it really started bothering me. I do favor my left arm some, and it grinds a bit, but I'm not ready for surgery just yet...

sassydog
12-19-2005, 04:51 PM
i'm a carpenter, so injuries on teh job are a lot more comman than most occupations. the worst i ever had it was about three years ago. i fell into the basement via the stairhole form teh first floor. i fell on my back, with my hammer hitting the small of my back. one of the steel loops on my pouches was bent in half, and my speed square had abotu a two inch bow in it. i ended up being ok, thanks mainly to my hardhat and the several layers of winter clothes. not breaks or fractures, just a hell of a lot of bruising

Footin
12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Injured my shoulder 20 years ago snow skiing....distroyed the same shoulder barefooting backwards 5 years ago. Ended up have surgery to repair it (surgery was called a front bankart). They streched the torn ligiments over and screwed them in place. Before the surgery my shoulder would basicly fall out of joint and I would have to reset it. Since it has been fixed I have had zero problems, however the doctors did warn me that footin backward would probably yank it apart again.

Other injury was early this year when I jumped out of my boat while it was on the trailer and rolled my ankle. ER Doc said it was not broken but I probably would have been better off if I did break it. I still swells up sometimes.

Leroy
12-19-2005, 06:12 PM
You guys are really starting to make me cringe. :eek:

Matt L.
12-19-2005, 08:11 PM
7/28/2001,

Had to try my Brother-In-Law's new board, his feet are bigger so the boot fit a bit loose. No problem, right!???!!! Wrong, it's a problem. Had a great run going, tried to get some extra big air and popped a bit too soon, went sky high, landed a bit short with my tail on the downslope of the wake and the leading edge basically in the air. Should have just let go and coastd out intothe flats, but nooo, I had to keep the run going. Tried to pull it out. As the front fin just caught the water the board started to vibrate wildly. This is where the too big boots come in. With my foot floating a bit inside the boot and my ankle secured tightly by the double wraps, my ankle acted a a pivot point causing my right knee to whip wildly back and fourth (right and left). I knew instantly that things were going bad, but I was digging in too much with my back foot to get out of it.

Then things got worser, the leading edge dug in, the next thing I know I'm being pulled on the swim platform screaming. Boots still on, lubed it up and pulled it off, ouch!!! Ice did little for the swelling. Gimped around camp that night, obviously a completely unstable joint. If I swung my leg through naturally, my foot would rotate vey unnaturally to the outside, and it hurt like hell. Tried to sleep, then drove to the ER in Benton, AR the next day. Imoblizer and completely incompetent ER Doc, at least I could get around. Ortho the next week, Dr. MUNNS at KU med in Kansas City, Does the University of Kanses Jayhawks Knees. So much for the marathon I was traning for!

Torn ACL and MCL. Limited range of motion brace took care of the MCL. 4 hours of surgery fixed the ACL, Medial Condyl Catilige and torn Lateral miniscus, with microfracture of the femur to bleed stem cells into the void in the medial condyl cartilige for regeneration. 8 weeks of crutches 4 non weight bearing, 4 weeks sleeping in a constant motion machine. The micro fracture is caused by driving tiny picks into the femur to fracture it into the marrow which then bleeds down into the joint, forms a clot (think bloody nose clot) loaded with stem cells that eventually converts into cartilige and repairs the void.

That was 9/10/2001, so I had a drug and pain hazed front row seat for the 9/11/2001 meida coverage.

Less than 1 year later I was fit enough to graduate from a 16 week training academy involving extensive physical and defensive training. Doc did a great job on the knee.

Boarded again for the first time the 22nd of October this year, felt good. If I find the pics I'l scan and post them, pretty cool to see the wrecked insides of my knee, especially the pick msrks in my femur!

Later, Matt

tommcat
12-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Tore a tendon off in my hand, needed bone graft
Torn left ACL, reconstructed knee(twice) and then tore again last season
Torn right MCL, havent had the surgery done yet. doc thinks i'll wreck it again anyway......all caused by hockey :confused:

now have some serious carpal tunnel in both hands and will most likely need surgery for both :mad:

Leroy
12-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Matt L. reminded me of one.

A friend at work went wakeboarding and in going for air, jumped as he went up the wake, pulled the heel of both feet half way out of the boot, so both feet at 45 degree angle half way out of boot. Lands hard and breaks both feet. Was on crutches for months, but is ok now.

jbfootin
12-20-2005, 09:54 AM
broken ribs...Moral of Story: Don't hit a roller half way through a tumble turn!

LakePirate
12-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Playing center field without getting my arm loose, I hose my buddy trying to stretch a single into a double. I cut it loose and my arm went with it. Held it for 2 weeks with my other arm. Continued to play ball throwing motion getting lower and lower. Couldn't reach behind me and cut on/off the dome light without excruciating pain. Continued to play ball. While playing flag football 3 years later, let 'er rip, and that was the end of playing through the pain. Went from throwing a football 50 yds on a string and standing at the fence throwing strikes to second, third and home to barely getting it to the cut-off man. Had the surgery, repaired cuff, shortened ligament, shaved bone. 10 days after surgery had "full range of motion" therapist couldn't believe it. Therapist was a moron. Rehabbed for 10 months, still couldn't hit the cut-off man. Learned to play 1st base.

My :twocents: go to therapy as soon as you tweak it. Find a good therapist. Avoid surgery at all costs, as mentioned before it is unreliable and you can wind up worse off.