PDA

View Full Version : Remote control vehicles

Pages : [1] 2 3

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 10:00 PM
I am a fan of all RC vehicles and equipment.
I am not a fan of ebay, but I found this searching for upgrades for mine. I have to ask myself, when will it end?!?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-SAVAGE-SHOW-CAR-NEW-W-TURBO-ALL-HI-PERFORMANCE-NR_W0QQitemZ6020274841QQcategoryZ44015QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

SKI*MC
12-16-2005, 10:53 PM
$2,000 HOly crap! If i had the money to throw around i would buy that! It looks fun! On second thought, i would look for a boat! ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 11:03 PM
That's one of the trucks I have (without the supercharger), but the supercharger adds a whole new passion for the hobby. I can't bring myself into it that much. It's bad enough as it is. But the hobby has gone as crazy as about anything else. It's endless....!!

SKI*MC
12-16-2005, 11:26 PM
It would be cool to see one beat a car on the drag strip ( i'm sure there are RC's that go that fast) Or an RC with Nitrous!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 11:30 PM
It would be cool to see one beat a car on the drag strip ( i'm sure there are RC's that go that fast) Or an RC with Nitrous!
There are already on a form of Nitromethane.
They have them out of the box doing 80mph.
The pistons are about the diameter of a pinky finger. Mine does about 40 but set up for quick accel., not top end, and its big and heavy.

SKI*MC
12-16-2005, 11:33 PM
wow, thats impressive! I have one of those RC X-Stars, i can get it going fast enough to get a little turbulance going behind it! :woohoo:

milkmania
12-17-2005, 01:12 PM
I have to ask myself, when will it end?!?!.

as long as there is money, it will never end!!!

Ric
12-17-2005, 01:13 PM
I may have seen that car in a show in Toledo once

Hoosier Bob
12-17-2005, 01:22 PM
I saw that item as well. It just shows you what a hobby can do to the mind. Sad part is he probaly spent twice that on all of the accessories! I have a few nitro trucks, a car and a couple of nitro boats. All are fun and can get as expensive as you want. Fun to goof off with the kids but one wreck and you can hear the cash register ring. The boats are fun and the deep vee is a blast you can run anytime. I may have a buch of it on ebay soon. Just redid my hydro that was demolished by a 55 gallon drum under the water. You have never seen someone swim accross a river so fast! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-17-2005, 05:57 PM
I will be getting a DeepV in the next few months. Thinking it should be in the 36" to 42" range.

Hoosier Bob
12-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I was thinking about the Traxxas but every one I saw had stress cracks in the abs plastic. I went with the Proboat Shockwave 36". All fiberglass but no clutch, auto start or return to shore. The good news is that it flies and you can beat it! Tons of tuning and more speed if you sacrifice handling. Setup manual is pretty extensive but this is much more of a racer than the Traxxas. I have an ABS Hot Shot .21 that is fast but will blow over in a whim. I don't use this stuff too much but I do love working on it. :D

I will be getting a DeepV in the next few months. Thinking it should be in the 36" to 42" range.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I was thinking about the Traxxas but every one I saw had stress cracks in the abs plastic. I went with the Proboat Shockwave 36". All fiberglass but no clutch, auto start or return to shore. The good news is that it flies and you can beat it! Tons of tuning and more speed if you sacrifice handling. Setup manual is pretty extensive but this is much more of a racer than the Traxxas. I have an ABS Hot Shot .21 that is fast but will blow over in a whim. I don't use this stuff too much but I do love working on it. :D

I will look into the shockwave, sounds like my cup o' tea.
I have not been into boats much, how to you apply color to a fiberglass hull? Or do you have to buy a prefinished in order for it to last? Mine has to have a wicked looking color scheme.

Hoosier Bob
12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
I think you can just paint them like anything. They are gelcoat but with a little prep I would assume you can cover them with any epoxy or enamel. I thought about painting but as fast as they are big and white makes it easy on the eyes! It is a very well built boat with a lot of performance. Would make a good custom as all of the performance options seem to be included. Send pics!
Hoosier

I will look into the shockwave, sounds like my cup o' tea.
I have not been into boats much, how to you apply color to a fiberglass hull? Or do you have to buy a prefinished in order for it to last? Mine has to have a wicked looking color scheme.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I stopped in a shop today. Found a few companies do gelcoat finishes. Custom would run about $400.00.
The shockwave 55 I looked at was $900.00 but in ready to go form. And that is the only way they sell them.
I think the 36 was about $400 or something.
Mine will be a hull only, and I will build the rest myself.
I am probably going to run a single .80 or close to it. If I get into this, I'll be sure to set my mind on running twins in the next one.
I have a list of manufacturers now, all I have to do is pick one out, and then determine how I want to go about building it. There are only a few hundred:eek: to pick from....
I think I am going to try to stick in the 40" to 50" range. We shall see....

Mag_Red
12-20-2005, 06:43 AM
If any one is interested I have a BIG K&B Marine motor I'll let go of cheap. Bought it for a Miss Bud Hydro I built but never completed. :wavey:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 01:20 PM
If any one is interested I have a BIG K&B Marine motor I'll let go of cheap. Bought it for a Miss Bud Hydro I built but never completed. :wavey:
What exactly is it?
Used or new?

Diesel
12-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I stopped in a shop today. Found a few companies do gelcoat finishes. Custom would run about $400.00.
The shockwave 55 I looked at was $900.00 but in ready to go form. And that is the only way they sell them.
I think the 36 was about $400 or something.
Mine will be a hull only, and I will build the rest myself.
I am probably going to run a single .80 or close to it. If I get into this, I'll be sure to set my mind on running twins in the next one.
I have a list of manufacturers now, all I have to do is pick one out, and then determine how I want to go about building it. There are only a few hundred:eek: to pick from....
I think I am going to try to stick in the 40" to 50" range. We shall see....

I had a 43" Deep V Aeromarine Laminates Challenger with an OPS .67 surface drive. What fun that was. Sold it a few years back complete on Ebay for $400 :(

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4583/image014r8ka.jpg

Also had a hydro outboard that was very fun..........

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/7781/image021r0zr.jpg

Diesel
12-20-2005, 03:06 PM
What exactly is it?
Used or new?

That is what was on the back of my hydro pictured above, 7.5cc and indestructible. Ran like a top and started up first time every time.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-20-2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks, I am probably going to go .80 or 1.0 inboard on mine. It might be a little on the big side for what I am doing, but it must throw some huge roost. I looked in the aeromarines, but they are a little harder to find here, a few shops don't deal with them. I am looking at Dumas, and prather too.

Diesel, that 43" aeromarine is real nice. "Needed some graphics" but looks like fun.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Done. Prather 40" Deep Vee, let the fun building it begin.

Diesel
12-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Start a thread of the build up when you get a chance. I'd like to follow along. Just might convince me to get another one :)

Workin' 4 Toys
12-23-2005, 11:39 AM
It's going to take me a long time. I want it right. By the way, the box says, "Record Holder" I am going to have to look into that:D .

And I am as we speak looking for the electric rescue boat. I am going to get that now so I have a reason to force myself to use it when its done.

And I am going to have to build a trailer for it too so I can tow it behind the Savage. I am going to have a buddy of mine draw up a paint scheme I can use on the set. That should be cool.

Diesel
12-23-2005, 11:49 AM
It's going to take me a long time. I want it right. By the way, the box says, "Record Holder" I am going to have to look into that:D .

And I am as we speak looking for the electric rescue boat. I am going to get that now so I have a reason to force myself to use it when its done.

And I am going to have to build a trailer for it too so I can tow it behind the Savage. I am going to have a buddy of mine draw up a paint scheme I can use on the set. That should be cool.

Rescue boat?? never heard of that I just went swiming after it :D

You going nitro or gas??

Workin' 4 Toys
12-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Rescue boat?? never heard of that I just went swiming after it :D

You going nitro or gas??
There are some ponds here it will be run in. I wouldn't stand in let alone swim. Believe it or not, I hope to use a Mastercraft remote control boat, and make a wakeboarder (that resembles a person wakeboarding) on a ski rope that I could drive around the dead in water (for whatever reason) nitro boat and snag the nitro with the boarder and drag it back to shore. Can you picture that, I have visions of the neighbor hood kids wanting me to stall the nitro just to see the rescue operation....

And the 40 will be nitro. I am exploring my options for engines. Billet....:D

Ric
12-23-2005, 12:29 PM
There are some ponds here it will be run in. I wouldn't stand in let alone swim. Believe it or not, I hope to use a Mastercraft remote control boat, and make a wakeboarder (that resembles a person wakeboarding) on a ski rope that I could drive around the dead in water (for whatever reason) nitro boat and snag the nitro with the boarder and drag it back to shore. Can you picture that, I have visions of the neighbor hood kids wanting me to stall the nitro just to see the rescue operation....

And the 40 will be nitro. I am exploring my options for engines. Billet....:D
after reading that post I kinda got the feeling you were rubbing your hands together simultaneous with a meniacal laugh 8p

Workin' 4 Toys
12-23-2005, 05:48 PM
after reading that post I kinda got the feeling you were rubbing your hands together simultaneous with a meniacal laugh 8p
You'll believe it when you see it........

Workin' 4 Toys
12-30-2005, 10:25 AM
It's the first-ever turbo engine for boat racers.... Hmmmmm...

Workin' 4 Toys
12-30-2005, 10:30 AM
This is looking like candidate #1-
Although the manuf. writes this...
Due to the racing nature of this engine
there is NO WARRANTY on this engine.

Whatever!!!:D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-30-2005, 10:32 AM
Practical RPM Range: 2,500 - 28,000 RPM

Hmmm. Selecting the right prop could be difficult.....:confused:

Diesel
12-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Practical RPM Range: 2,500 - 28,000 RPM

Hmmm. Selecting the right prop could be difficult.....:confused:

The OPS I ran had a red line of 26K. I ran the surface drive to help get the rpms up on the top end, and it was fun to drive. OS stuff is rock solid and should run very well. What size??

SKI*MC
12-30-2005, 01:45 PM
WOW! Thats freaking Fast!!!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
12-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Looks like .46 fits the bill. 2 BHP should get 'er up and move. I am going to put something together on the finished weight. The power to weight ratio makes a big difference. I have a buddy that is a wiz at prop selections, but there are so many variables with everything. It's enough to make one crazy. Even with an almost perfect solution, I am still going to end up with 4 to 6 props.

Diesel
12-30-2005, 03:56 PM
Looks like .46 fits the bill. 2 BHP should get 'er up and move. I am going to put something together on the finished weight. The power to weight ratio makes a big difference. I have a buddy that is a wiz at prop selections, but there are so many variables with everything. It's enough to make one crazy. Even with an almost perfect solution, I am still going to end up with 4 to 6 props.

.46 sounds small for a 40" inboard. I guess it all depends upon your final weight. My 43 was a pig and that is why I went with the .67. I hear you on the prop issue........ I went through 8 props before I was happy.

agua4fun
12-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Nice boats,

About 9 years ago, i scratch built an R/C MC. fun project. I wish i could find the original pictures when it was perfect, but i dusted it off from the garage and took a few today. she'll scoot pretty well, and would definitly pull a tiny skier. too bad it runs at 5+mph at idle. id have to guess 30+ at top speed. feels like 90 though. I modeled it after a '96 PS190 Sammy Duvall, metal flake and all.

agua4fun
12-30-2005, 07:23 PM
a few more

Footin
12-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Very cool, I'm sure took a while to build.

Leroy
12-30-2005, 09:22 PM
THis is great Aquafun! Love the pictures!

About 9 years ago, i scratch built an R/C MC. fun project. I wish i could find the original pictures when it was perfect, but i dusted it off from the garage and took a few today. she'll scoot pretty well, and would definitly pull a tiny skier. too bad it runs at 5+mph at idle. id have to guess 30+ at top speed. feels like 90 though. I modeled it after a '96 PS190 Sammy Duvall, metal flake and all.

SKI*MC
12-30-2005, 09:27 PM
wow! Thats very cool! How long did that take you to make in all?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 12:22 AM
.46 sounds small for a 40" inboard. I guess it all depends upon your final weight. My 43 was a pig and that is why I went with the .67. I hear you on the prop issue........ I went through 8 props before I was happy.
This is my project learning vessel. The next one will be the final phase. One at a time though.
The 43" I had picked out was going to get the .80. But like I said, I need the practice first.
The .46 is 2.50hp at 28,000rpm, and weighs 15ozs.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 12:27 AM
The K&B .67 is working rpm 2,000 - 23,000
3.750 bhp @ 23000 RPM
and weighs 26ozs.

Unfortunetly O.S. does not list a .67. It's .46 or .81.

agua4fun
12-31-2005, 10:58 AM
wow! Thats very cool! How long did that take you to make in all?

Thanks! It took about 2 months, working on and off most days after school. it runs a little bow down and will really take a wave over the bow if you try a 'bat' turn. the best part is all of the electronics/engine etc, are hidden. (but i remove the interior before i run)

Dave

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 11:03 AM
This is the biggest challenge building a boat. Keeping it out of the water.... So to speak... Balancing.

jimmer2880
12-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks! It took about 2 months, working on and off most days after school. it runs a little bow down and will really take a wave over the bow if you try a 'bat' turn. the best part is all of the electronics/engine etc, are hidden. (but i remove the interior before i run)

Dave

that boat looks awesome! nice job!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2006, 09:44 PM
Well, I was having a really hard time deciding what engines, exhausts, props, rudders, water intakes, radio equipment, clutches, driveshafts, and engine mounts to get. So I went and got another boat. Why build one when you can build two at twice the price right. Sorry, stole that line from that jodi foster flick... This should make things interesting.
Now I can experiment...... over & over...

bigmac
01-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Unfortunetly O.S. does not list a .67. It's .46 or .81.

There's about 7 ounces weight difference between the .67 and .81.

You can always throttle back....

bigmac
01-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Well, I was having a really hard time deciding what engines, exhausts, props, rudders, water intakes, radio equipment, clutches, driveshafts, and engine mounts to get. So I went and got another boat. Why build one when you can build two at twice the price right. Sorry, stole that line from that jodi foster flick... This should make things interesting.
Now I can experiment...... over & over...

I have a couple of radios sitting around here somewhere, each with a few different recievers and several crystal sets...

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2006, 11:18 PM
I have a couple of radios sitting around here somewhere, each with a few different recievers and several crystal sets...

I am not sure if you are telling me for informational purposes, or you are letting them go. If you are selling them, PM me what you have and what you want.
Thanks. I have about 4 sets right now but not quite what I want. And the rec. and servos are in something I am not willing to disassemble. And don't even think about bustin' on me for import equipment, 'cause I know thats all you have...;)

Workin' 4 Toys
01-03-2006, 11:20 PM
There's about 7 ounces weight difference between the .67 and .81.

You can always throttle back....
I almost have the engine for the 40 figured out. I need to make sure the accessories I want are compatible before I drop a dime, so I don't have to get extensive machine work done. I want these two to be somewhat simple before I do serious custom work on the next buildup....

Mag_Red
01-04-2006, 01:49 AM
What exactly is it?
Used or new?It's new...........never installed. Sorry for the late reply

bigmac
01-04-2006, 05:30 AM
I am not sure if you are telling me for informational purposes, or you are letting them go. If you are selling them, PM me what you have and what you want.
Thanks. I have about 4 sets right now but not quite what I want. And the rec. and servos are in something I am not willing to disassemble. And don't even think about bustin' on me for import equipment, 'cause I know thats all you have...;)I didn't realize you already had radios, and I thought if you were experimenting with multiple vehicles I'd just give you one of my old Futabas. They're a couple of years old, haven't been used in that time, and I'd have to dig them out, but I'd be happy to do that and ship one off to you if it would be useful.

Mag_Red
01-04-2006, 07:15 AM
Hey Mac........if Workin4Toys doesn't want it, I'll gladly accept it. After all I do have an engine sitting right here. Who knows............all I need is a hull then. :D

Workin' 4 Toys
01-04-2006, 02:46 PM
I didn't realize you already had radios, and I thought if you were experimenting with multiple vehicles I'd just give you one of my old Futabas. They're a couple of years old, haven't been used in that time, and I'd have to dig them out, but I'd be happy to do that and ship one off to you if it would be useful.
Sure, let me know what you have and I'll research whats missing if anything and see where I am. I think it would be perfect.
The equipment I have is staying with the cars and trucks they are in. I use them so I am not interested in dismantling them.
I appreciate it.

SKI*MC
01-07-2006, 09:09 PM
I just saw this video of a boat, that when you got it going fast enough, it tould take off and fly, and you could fly it around just like an airplane. It was pretty sweet! you could even drive it on land!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-08-2006, 10:43 PM
I didn't realize you already had radios, and I thought if you were experimenting with multiple vehicles I'd just give you one of my old Futabas. They're a couple of years old, haven't been used in that time, and I'd have to dig them out, but I'd be happy to do that and ship one off to you if it would be useful.
PM me if you would rather..

bigmac
01-09-2006, 08:11 AM
PM me if you would rather..I just pulled the radios down to look at them yesterday. One is a KO Propo, the other is a Futaba, but I couldn't immediately see the model. I'll still have to dig out the receivers, some servos, and find the chargers. Workin' on it...

Workin' 4 Toys
01-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I had a KO propo in one of my old cars. I Look forward to seeing your findings.
Thanks again.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-13-2006, 11:43 PM
I have narrowed the engine search down a little, to about 4. I can't decide Nitro or Gas.

After that decision is made, next is Sub-surface or surface drive.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-13-2006, 11:46 PM
Mag_Red, let me know what you have.... and what you want for it.

erkoehler
01-13-2006, 11:58 PM
:eek: Mag_Red, let me know what you have.... and what you want for it.

Get him to put it in the "Pay it forward" thread!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-14-2006, 12:04 AM
:eek:

Get him to put it in the "Pay it forward" thread!
I am sure it was a few hundred bucks back when it was new. I don't even know what it is. But I see where you are taking it...:cool:
I am in process of (slowly doing research) building 2 now. And maybe another (third) one in the works. I haven't got any equipment for the first two yet, but I am getting closer....:D

erkoehler
01-14-2006, 12:51 AM
I am sure it was a few hundred bucks back when it was new. I don't even know what it is. But I see where you are taking it...:cool:
I am in process of (slowly doing research) building 2 now. And maybe another (third) one in the works. I haven't got any equipment for the first two yet, but I am getting closer....:D

Well with our current snow conditions, and unfortunate water temps you should be able to get alot of work done on them

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 12:31 PM
It's not the 32" version I wanted, but as soon as I find one it's mine too.:D
I couldn't decide red or yellow, soooooo........

And I had to get two so my wife and daughter could chase the nitros around at the pond...

twieder
01-15-2006, 03:37 PM
It's not the 32" version I wanted, but as soon as I find one it's mine too.:D
I couldn't decide red or yellow, soooooo........

And I had to get two so my wife and daughter could chase the nitros around at the pond...
I got the 32" version and found if u add a little weight to it much better speed, although it's deffinately NOT a nitro!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 08:18 PM
it's deffinately NOT a nitro!
Neither are mine, (yet;) )

erkoehler
01-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Are you doing an engine swap, or buying a different model?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Are you doing an engine swap, or buying a different model?
You never know, :D
I guess I better work on these first. These are the two project hulls I have been talking about. I better get started if I want to finish them by Christmas...........:eek:

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 11:03 PM
The next stage.......... I got an engine for the little one. It's an O.S. MAX .21. Moving onward.....:D
Has anyone reading this used any drive system OTHER than surface or subsurface props?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-26-2006, 11:33 PM
The small bore.......:D Ready, aim,.........

Workin' 4 Toys
01-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Well, it was fun until......................boom:D

Boogieman
01-29-2006, 11:44 PM
I've one like this one . . . just for sentimental reasons . .
I love this old bug . . . it's as old as I am . .

Workin' 4 Toys
01-30-2006, 09:02 AM
I've one like this one . . . just for sentimental reasons . .
I love this old bug . . . it's as old as I am . .
When I was a kid, my neighbor had that car. It was certainly cool.
We had a road car by Bolink. The hobby was much harder to keep back then, there weren't any hobby shops around. Now, they are everywhere.
Once I get the boats done, I move to something like this.....:D

BeavenX5
03-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi, I got my son (8) his first "serious" R/C vehicule for Christmass this year: a Traxxas Stampede electric. I am now hooked to the hobby. :)

I am considering seriously getty myself now a Traxxas Revo Nittro Monster Truck. I am choosing a monster truck vs a bogy or a stadum truck because of the rough terrain I will be using it at the cottage and because I don't need a 60mph vehicule (40 is probably more than I can handle for now). I am also choosing a Traxxas truck because of the availability of replacement parts and upgrande in stock at my local hobby shop and because of their affordable price. It is not as easy for me to shop by internet in the US from Canada as it is for you so my local hobby shop is important for me. They also carry other brands.

I would like your opinion on my choice of vehicule. I did some research on other specialised forums but these forums have way too many kids that beleive only in their own toys and don't respect the others. It is hard to get a reliable opinion in there. I trust you guys are a lot more mature and would tell me more honestly if the Traxxas Revo is a good truck or not.

I am looking for reasonable reliability and lot of fun factor. :steering: :banana:

Thanks.

JC

bcampbe7
03-08-2006, 10:11 AM
You can't go wrong with the Revo. I have heard great things about it.
The only complaint I have heard is of people having trouble getting the 2.5 to run properly. The new 3.3 is out, or will be out soon, but I am not sure if that will be any better. Most people I know have dumped the 2.5 for a .18 picco or something similar.

I am an electric guy myself. I had a brushless Stampede that I just recently sold. With 12 cells it would hit close to 50MPH. You know that truck and can imagine how hard it was to control at 50MPH!
I now have an Traxxas E-Maxx (Electric version of the T-Maxx) and a brushless RC18T.

I am partial to Traxxas vehicles. They are tough and parts are readily available. :cool:

Sodar
03-08-2006, 10:18 AM
I have a Traxxas Revo and T-Maxx. The Revo is awesome.... I have had no problems with the 2.5 motor in either truck. When I first purchased my T-maxx, there was a misprint in the owner's manual about the carb settings for break in. The manual had it running a little too lean for break-in, so my motor fried. Traxxas was great though, they re-built the motor for free and told me the proper break-in settings! The only other issue I have had is my easy-start motor burnt out, it was an inexpensive fix though and I love the ease of use on it.

All in all, you can not go wrong w/ Traxxas, they make a good product, have a lot of spare parts availible and if anything happens to your motor, send it back and they will rebuild it!

BeavenX5
03-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Hi
I was debating between E-Maxx and T-Maxx. My LHS told me to go for the Revo because of its superior engineering and not to worry about the Nitro engine. They are easy to use as long as you know what you are doing. He will teach me.

My LHS will do the break-in with me in the back of his store. He does that with every new client that needs teaching on how to use and fine tune nitro engine. This will ensure that I start on the right foot.

Still hesitant about the E-Maxx because of the ease of operation. Not as performant and lots of down time because of batteries sound like the cons.

bcampbe7
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi
I was debating between E-Maxx and T-Maxx. My LHS told me to go for the Revo because of its superior engineering and not to worry about the Nitro engine. They are easy to use as long as you know what you are doing. He will teach me.

My LHS will do the break-in with me in the back of his store. He does that with every new client that needs teaching on how to use and fine tune nitro engine. This will ensure that I start on the right foot.

Still hesitant about the E-Maxx because of the ease of operation. Not as performant and lots of down time because of batteries sound like the cons.

Sounds like your LHS owner is a good one!
IMHO, I think you will have more fun with the Revo. Buy a digital temp guage if you don't already have one and keep an eye on your engine temps.
Your making me want to sell my E-Maxx and get a Revo! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
In order of preference IMO
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1858.html
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0015
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1871.html
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDK3&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGZD9**&P=7

88 PS190
03-08-2006, 12:28 PM
Go for gas w/ surface piercing drives.

I haven't purchased any of the new cars, but i have an older traxxas 4 tec nitro, w/ the previous engine. As far as tuning you just have to sit around one day and figure out all your needles then they run fine.

Keep the E-Maxx add an aftermarket speed control and a set of low turn motors, it will kill any nitro off the line, and at typical monster trucking. The nitros need to get the rpm up to have any power so you need to hit things at speed the electrics can just grunt around off the line.

As much as the Traxxas aren't as exotic as some other companies stuff, they sure are durable, I had a car drive over the front of my 4-tc and it only cracked the rims, replaced those for 15 bucks and its fine.

Oh get rid of those factory ez-starter things, not worth your time, retrofit a pull starter and get a stand alone glow plug cell. Or atleast get the glow starter, even w/o using the pull starter it will start much easier.

bcampbe7
03-08-2006, 12:32 PM
In order of preference IMO
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1858.html
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0015
http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/hpi/hpic1871.html
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLDK3&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGZD9**&P=7

That's agreat list W4T, the Savage is a great vehicle from what I here.
However, if his LHS stocks mostly (or only) Traxxas parts, the Revo is the way to go.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-08-2006, 12:43 PM
One of mine is a Savage, and I have beat the heck out of it. It is heavy. But very durable.

One of my buddies has one with a supercharger on it.

The options are endless with the savage. Do a search on "flea"bay and you will see. Unbelievable the stuff they have.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Nice wheels (http://www.eboyztoyz.com/index.php?op=showitem&sku=5616)

milkmania
03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Nice wheels (http://http://www.eboyztoyz.com/index.php?op=showitem&sku=5616)

kicks me over to microsoft.com:(

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Cheap fun..... (http://h1072462.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=LOSB0200)

bcampbe7
03-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Cheap fun..... (http://h1072462.hobbyshopnow.com/products/description.asp?prod=LOSB0200)

I just bought a RC18T (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJAY0&P=ML) and added a Mamba Competition X.
So far I have had it up to 40mph (used an eTrex GPS).
Not bad for a car that is so small.
With a 3s lipo, it may hit 60mph!

My E-Maxx has been sitting on the shelf since I got the RC18T.
I want to try Nitro, but my wife would kill me if I bought another truck. :)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 12:55 PM
I can see those being elec. But trucks NEED to be nitro. Same with boats, elec is stale IMO.
In addition to the other 4 buildups I am doing, I am going to put my Elec RC10 back together. Just for the heck of it.
Believe it or not, a while back my wife "thought" she would get interested in R/C because I am into it. So I told her she could take my RC10 apart clean it and put it back together, and then use it. Well, it made it apart anyway!!:o She thought that was ok, but part of the challenge was to reassemble without instructions. I gave here about the easiest RC vehicle on the planet to work on. Oh well.
I need a 1/18 AWD and 2WD too.

bcampbe7
03-15-2006, 03:31 PM
I can see those being elec. But trucks NEED to be nitro. Same with boats, elec is stale IMO.
In addition to the other 4 buildups I am doing, I am going to put my Elec RC10 back together. Just for the heck of it.
Believe it or not, a while back my wife "thought" she would get interested in R/C because I am into it. So I told her she could take my RC10 apart clean it and put it back together, and then use it. Well, it made it apart anyway!!:o She thought that was ok, but part of the challenge was to reassemble without instructions. I gave here about the easiest RC vehicle on the planet to work on. Oh well.
I need a 1/18 AWD and 2WD too.

I thought about selling my E-Maxx and getting a nitro.
I would like either a Revo, SavageX, or LST.
I would probably go with the Revo because I can find parts for it around here pretty easily, plus it's a great truck. The LST is pretty much non-existent around here as far as parts go, as is the Savage.

WFT, is it difficult to keep nitro running efficiently?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 03:41 PM
Nitro, it's not bad. Keep in mind, break-ins are not optional. Read the owners manual on the break-in. If you don't, you will be sorry. And the air filters cleaning is also vital to reliability.

Once you get them dialed in, and NOT too lean, they are a piece of cake. I recommend an infrared thermometer to check the head temp often at least the first few runs to make sure you aren't running it too lean.
I use a Fluke model 61 pictured. Its worth the money if it saves me a few hundred $ motor.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 03:48 PM
I am not sure what area you are in, but check out the closest, they have what you are looking for.
Chattanooga (http://chattanoogatn.hobbytown.com/)
Knoxville (http://knoxvilletn.hobbytown.com/)
Johnson City (http://johnsoncitytn.hobbytown.com/)
Memphis (http://memphistn.hobbytown.com/)
Murfreesboro (http://murfreesborotn.hobbytown.com/)

bcampbe7
03-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Murfreesboro would be the closest at just under 1 hour away.

They have Revo's, T-Maxx's (3.3), and Savage's. They carry more Traxxas parts though it seems.

I have a temp gun. Can't get the brushless motors over 180*F! ;)

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 03:57 PM
The biggest dealer here is just under an hour. That is where I go most often.

Otherwise internet order from Hobby town, Warehouse or Tower. Depends on what I am looking for.

Ric
03-15-2006, 04:04 PM
The biggest dealer here is just under an hour. That is where I go most often.

Otherwise internet order from Hobby town, Warehouse or Tower. Depends on what I am looking for.
Champaign isn't far from you is it? That's where it all happens :steering:

BeavenX5
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
They have Revo's, T-Maxx's (3.3), and Savage's. They carry more Traxxas parts though it seems.

I bought a Revo last week-end. My LHS is doing the break-in for me and I am scheduled for delivery :banana: and a crash course tomorrow. :steering:

I will report back how I like it in a few days.
JC

bcampbe7
03-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I bought a Revo last week-end. My LHS is doing the break-in for me and I am scheduled for delivery :banana: and a crash course tomorrow. :steering:

I will report back how I like it in a few days.
JC

Excellent Beaven!
Good luck with it and let us know.

Ric
03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
funny you guys have this thread going and this guy walked in the door here earlier today.
Here is a site for the trucks (http://team4monsters.freehosting.net/) that they build.
They look pretty cool :cool:

bcampbe7
03-15-2006, 09:50 PM
funny you guys have this thread going and this guy walked in the door here earlier today.
Here is a site for the trucks (http://team4monsters.freehosting.net/) that they build.
They look pretty cool :cool:

I have seen that site before Ric, but just now realized they are very close to me! :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
Champaign isn't far from you is it? That's where it all happens :steering:
Estimated Total Driving Distance:
136 miles

Ric
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I have seen that site before Ric, but just now realized they are very close to me! :cool:
cool I have not seen one in person

Workin' 4 Toys
03-16-2006, 01:51 PM
cool I have not seen one in person
If you wanna see some...
4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals RETURNS to the Texas Hill Country (http://www.familyevents.com/)

Ric
03-16-2006, 02:12 PM
If you wanna see some...
4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals RETURNS to the Texas Hill Country (http://www.familyevents.com/)
cool but I doubt you will bump into me there(unless there's a ski lake in the middle of it!)

bcampbe7
03-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Well I switched to the "dark-side."
I bought a used LST roller and a new HPI .21.
Should be here later this week.
I know nothing about nitro, so this is going to be interesting.

I may end up putting this together and selling it RTR to fund a new Revo purchase.

We'll see how it goes.

If anyone has some links to Nitro information, pass them on. I am doing all the reading I can. before it comes time to break-in and tune the engine.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Does you motor come with an owners manual. Do you know what nitro% you are going to run? Pull start or roto? Do you have a glow plug starter?

bcampbe7
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
Does you motor come with an owners manual. Do you know what nitro% you are going to run? Pull start or roto? Do you have a glow plug starter?

Yes
20%?
Pull start
No

BeavenX5
03-21-2006, 03:38 PM
My Revo comes with a DVD. I could not pick-up the truck on Thursday as scheduled as it was not ready. It should be ready tonight. :banana:

I will get the DVD tonight and will see if I can crack it (or have it cracked by a knowledgeable person) and get it to you. It is supposed to be a good learning tool for beginners on Nitro.

JC

bcampbe7
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
My Revo comes with a DVD. I could not pick-up the truck on Thursday as scheduled as it was not ready. It should be ready tonight. :banana:

I will get the DVD tonight and will see if I can crack it (or have it cracked by a knowledgeable person) and get it to you. It is supposed to be a good learning tool for beginners on Nitro.

JC

Sweet Beaven, thanks!

Workin' 4 Toys
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Here is what the video will say.
Fill fuel tank, burp all air out of lines(they are clear so easy to see) remove glow plug and put your finger over the carb and pull rip cord once or twice to "pull" fuel through the motor and spit access out glow plug hole. Reinsert glow plug, attach glow plug starter "heater" pull rip cord. Might take two or three pulls. Any more than that and you flooded it, remove glow plug and repeat. Otherwise you could hydrolock it and snap the cord. (It happens all the time) Remove glow heater once its running, and just touch the thottle to let it warm up for a few seconds. Then putt around the yard for the rest of the first tank. DO NOT GO MORE THAN 1/2 throttle for the first tank. A few pops of the throttle are good but DO NOT go past 1/2 throttle.
Once thats over, do not do any full speed runs, and few pops of the throttle are ok, but don't hold it there. After about 3 tanks of this, it GO time, and have fun. Do not adjust it too lean. Check head temp often after the break in and you hold it WOT. Too hot = richen it up.

BeavenX5
03-22-2006, 12:15 PM
WOW :love:

This thing is amaising... My only other R/C experience is with Electric (stock not modified motors or brushless). What a difference...

I only got to play with it for about 1/2 hour last night. I will need to improve on my driving skill if I want to keep this beast in one piece. :eek:

Hope to play with it again tonight.

I will report again.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2006, 11:34 PM
BeavenX5,
How is it?
You may want to look into upgrading the axle shafts.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Well I switched to the "dark-side."
I bought a used LST roller and a new HPI .21.
Should be here later this week.
I know nothing about nitro, so this is going to be interesting.

I may end up putting this together and selling it RTR to fund a new Revo purchase.

We'll see how it goes.

If anyone has some links to Nitro information, pass them on. I am doing all the reading I can. before it comes time to break-in and tune the engine.What's the latest here?

bcampbe7
04-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Well, I am in the process of trading it for a Savage 25. :o

It is going to take more time, effort and money to get the LST going than I am willing to spend.

The Savage is in great shape and my .21 will drop right in. We'll see how the trade turns out.

How's the boat coming along?

Workin' 4 Toys
04-01-2006, 12:29 PM
The boats are coming fine. I have WAY more invested so far than originally thought. So slow but sure I am getting parts. One of them I might have done by May, and the other the end of summer. I have MANY projects on my plate right now and more on the way. I am also going to rehab my old Rc/10 just for the heck of it. The savage is due for upgrades, a few of the guys are trying to get me into 1/18 scale cars that will do 60MPH!!!!!! So I have my hands full.
Not to mention boat season coming and I have some work to do on it, and the neverending search for my project car...

Well, I am in the process of trading it for a Savage 25. :o

It is going to take more time, effort and money to get the LST going than I am willing to spend.

The Savage is in great shape and my .21 will drop right in. We'll see how the trade turns out.

How's the boat coming along?

BeavenX5
04-03-2006, 10:08 AM
BeavenX5,
How is it?
You may want to look into upgrading the axle shafts.
Hi
Revo is coming along fine. What a great machine.
I struggle a little with the carburator adjustments. Its is hard to get power both from dead start and at high speed while maintaining an acceptable temperature. I need an hour of adjustment only time without play. Hard to do...
the axle shafts are doing good so far. I ordered a new K&N air filter and might upgrade to 25%nitro fuel from the current 20%.
What a blast.

bcampbe7:
I found my Traxxas Nitro DVD this week-end (I had left it at the cottage). I manage to copy it using Concusoft DVD to iPod software. The lowres file is poor quality and is 160MB of size in mpeg4 format. The regular size file is about 550MB and is acceptable to view on the computer using quicktime.
I don't know how to transfer such a file though the internet but if you (or anyone else) wants a CD copy in the mail, just send me a PM with your address.

bcampbe7
04-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Hi
I struggle a little with the carburator adjustments. Its is hard to get power both from dead start and at high speed while maintaining an acceptable temperature. I need an hour of adjustment only time without play. Hard to do...
the axle shafts are doing good so far. I ordered a new K&N air filter and might upgrade to 25%nitro fuel from the current 20%.
What a blast.

bcampbe7:
I found my Traxxas Nitro DVD this week-end (I had left it at the cottage). I manage to copy it using Concusoft DVD to iPod software. The lowres file is poor quality and is 160MB of size in mpeg4 format. The regular size file is about 550MB and is acceptable to view on the computer using quicktime.
I don't know how to transfer such a file though the internet but if you (or anyone else) wants a CD copy in the mail, just send me a PM with your address.

It looks like you already bought it, but I don't know if I would use that K&N filter.
From the little I have read about them, they allow too much dirt into the engine and reduce the life of the engine.

This filter is suppose to work great:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHWU0&P=ML

88 PS190
04-03-2006, 01:25 PM
The traxxas factory motors and carbs can be a bit picky as far as tuning goes, later on down the line you might consider upgrading to an OS or possibly even a big block....

BeavenX5
04-03-2006, 03:33 PM
I will upgrade engine one day when this factory one goes. I need to get experience in tuning it first.

As far as the K&N filter, my friend got a Motor Saver air filter and loves it. I though the K&N looked better and K&N pretends they only need to be cleaned every 6 hours vs every hour. You are the second person that tells me the K&N is not that good. :rolleyes:
I guess I will only use the K&N for the show and get a Motor Saver also.

Thanks for the advice. :headbang:

bcampbe7
04-03-2006, 03:37 PM
I will upgrade engine one day when this factory one goes. I need to get experience in tuning it first.

As far as the K&N filter, my friend got a Motor Saver air filter and loves it. I though the K&N looked better and K&N pretends they only need to be cleaned every 6 hours vs every hour. You are the second person that tells me the K&N is not that good. :rolleyes:

I agree the K&N looks very nice. Just be careful and on ly use it for street driving.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-03-2006, 07:19 PM
I brought up the axles because I was in the local shop. And they had 3 in for axle repairs that apparently when they go take out the wishbones too. The three were in for repair and the DISPLAY model had be disasembled to repair one previously that week. Perhaps some titaniums are due...
Hi
What a blast.

bcampbe7:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I run foam filters with a splash of marvel mystery oil to keep it sticky. And when its dirty, I wash it and reapply oil, and I am good to go.

BeavenX5
04-10-2006, 09:40 AM
My Revo runs like a champion now. The lack of performance on the truck last week and the hot engine temperature was not because of bad carb adjustment. It was because the foam in my tires were full of water... I guess washing them in water in the kitchen sink was not my smartest idea :confused:

Anyway, I got some new tires, a motor saver filter and 25% fuel. It now pulls wheelies if I am not careful with the trottle :woohoo:
I will dismantle the original tires from the rims, dry the foams, install spikes on the tires and keep them for ice driving next winter :headbang:

WFT: I was told to clean the foam in soapy water and re-oil it after every hour of play time. Even if the filter does not look dirty it is. Is this true?

bcampbe7
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Sounds good Beaven! :cool:
I'm not sure about cleaning the air filter every hour. That may be a bit overkill. It will all depend on the conditions you are running in. If you are running on the pavement and grass, I would say that is overkill. If you are running in a dirt pit, then yeah, every hour may be correct.

The latest news for me is that I got the Savage and it is in great shape. I installed the .21 and it runs great. However, I am selling this set-up to buy a Revo 3.3 (when they come out).
I just have way more support for Traxxas products in my area. The Revo is the better choice for me.

Take a look:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6050335027

BeavenX5
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
I did not realize you were to sell your Savage this quick or I would have considered it for my son. It looks in very good condition.

Since my son's electric Stampede is just no match to my Revo, I decided to spoil him a bit: I just bough him last week a used T-Maxx with many aluminium upgrades (bumpers, arms, suspensions, etc...). It should arrive here this week, just in time for his 9th birthday on Saturday.

I hope this was a good idea :eek: as I will now have to take care of 2 trucks (tuning, fixing, $$$ to fix). For now, he still need me to help on the starting procedure and after run procedure on my Revo. He can't play with it alone like the elecctric. It might take a few months before he can use his alone without my help.

One thing is certain though, it will not be like the Revo where I have to do all the cleaning after play. He will have to take care of cleaning both trucks while I perform after run maintenance on them. We will split the work time equally. I might be a good father&son activity.

I realy hope he will be mature enough with it to take good care of it. So far he has been OK with the Stampede but the T-Maxx is a lot more care.

Whish me luck.

bcampbe7
04-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Update for those keeping score:

I ordered the Revo 3.3 last night! Should be in late next week. :woohoo:

Workin' 4 Toys
04-21-2006, 09:50 AM
WFT: I was told to clean the foam in soapy water and re-oil it after every hour of play time. Even if the filter does not look dirty it is. Is this true?
I hope you are talking about the foam for the air cleaner. I probably do mine about every 3/4 tanks of fuel run through it.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-21-2006, 10:04 AM
I did not realize you were to sell your Savage this quick or I would have considered it for my son. It looks in very good condition.

Since my son's electric Stampede is just no match to my Revo, I decided to spoil him a bit: I just bough him last week a used T-Maxx with many aluminium upgrades (bumpers, arms, suspensions, etc...). It should arrive here this week, just in time for his 9th birthday on Saturday.

I hope this was a good idea :eek: as I will now have to take care of 2 trucks (tuning, fixing, $$$ to fix). For now, he still need me to help on the starting procedure and after run procedure on my Revo. He can't play with it alone like the elecctric. It might take a few months before he can use his alone without my help.

One thing is certain though, it will not be like the Revo where I have to do all the cleaning after play. He will have to take care of cleaning both trucks while I perform after run maintenance on them. We will split the work time equally. I might be a good father&son activity.

I realy hope he will be mature enough with it to take good care of it. So far he has been OK with the Stampede but the T-Maxx is a lot more care.

Whish me luck.

Sounds like a great idea. I would think working on these little vehicles helps develop some sort of technical ability for the future.
I hope to do the same one day.:D

BeavenX5
04-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I hope you are talking about the foam for the air cleaner. I probably do mine about every 3/4 tanks of fuel run through it.

Of course I am talking about the foam in and around the airfilter together with the plastic and rubber parts of the filter. I will never soak the tires in water again. :mad:

My son got his TMaxx last week-end. You should have seens his eyes and the smile on his face... His very own nitro truck... Priceless.

Unfortunately, he broke the rope on the pull start Monday. Pull starts are a pain to work on specially when miniaturized like these. It is now fix but I am looking into a way to install an EZstart system on it.

My pain is on tuning this engine: a Sirio .18tx with 4 adjusment screws on the carb. Supposely a performant engine but not the easiest out there. It works OK for now but lacks performance and has a high idle. I still need to work on it. Great learning experience.

88 PS190
04-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Don't bother w/ the easy start, just get a new rope from your hobby store.

Every traxxas i've ever had w/ the ez start eventually gets upgraded to a pull start because the EZ start just doesn't have enough pop.

bcampbe7
04-21-2006, 12:38 PM
You could also convert it to a roto-start.

Workin' 4 Toys
04-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Once I learned how to prime the motor and not load it with fuel, I haven't snapped another rope. I have a spare, but watch how much fuel you have in it. I like to prime it, then pull the plug, give it a fast pull to blow out the excess, and usually starts the first or second after that.
Its a good thing the boats won't have either Pull or Easy...;)

bcampbe7
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
She arrived!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/Revo/Revo3.jpg

BeavenX5
04-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Congratulations on your new toy. :toast: Let me know how it performs and how bad are the wheelies on it. :love:

I would love to see a picture of the inside to compare with the 2.5

enjoy it. :steering:

BeavenX5
04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Here is a picture of my Revo 2.5 a few days before it crashed (last Monday) and broke an A-Arm. :(
It is now down on my worktable all disassemlbed waiting for a full set of aluminium arms. :D

Please note that it is my 9 year old son driving it while I was shooting the pictures. :woohoo: Proud father....

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
She arrived!

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/Revo/Revo3.jpg
Wow Beau, try not to run over that cord.... They just don't make toys like they used to......;) Now HPI would never have left it like that just out of the box..8p

Workin' 4 Toys
04-28-2006, 04:05 PM
Here is a picture of my Revo 2.5 a few days before it crashed (last Monday) and broke an A-Arm. :(
It is now down on my worktable all disassemlbed waiting for a full set of aluminium arms. :D

Please note that it is my 9 year old son driving it while I was shooting the pictures. :woohoo: Proud father....
You need to set up a strip of measurements for pics like that.

bcampbe7
04-28-2006, 09:31 PM
Wow Beau, try not to run over that cord.... They just don't make toys like they used to......;) Now HPI would never have left it like that just out of the box..8p

I know, I'm not grown-up enough to have a radio controlled vehicle so I got a remote controlled vehicle. :rolleyes:

I got through the 4th tannk of break-in tonight. This little thing will move! :woohoo:

Can't wait till it is broken-in to see what she will do.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I have just about all the parts and equipment to start building boat #1. Well, actually I started yesterday, but I think I finally have everything.

BeavenX5
05-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Which one will be boat #1: the smaller blue hull with the OS .18 or the bigger one with a big block?

Please give us more detail and pics of your projects. It would be very interesting to follow. Boats are fun no matter if they are MC, speedboats or R/C. Even canoe and kayaks are fun.

Keep us posted.

Thanks
JC

Workin' 4 Toys
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
#1 ended up being the blue one.
The 40" is going to take alot of time and I won't rush it, I want it to look tricked out too so I may even end up sending somewhere for a truely custom paint job, we shall see. I now have a .67 K&B but by the time I start the build I may end up with a .90 or larger or twins. Even though the hull was designed for a single 7.5cc = .46. I have 50% of what I need for that one, and it will remain that why for a few months. It should get a surface drive with twin rudder, 4 working exhaust outlets, and If I can design one before it is available, a clutch system. Yet to be available for a Nitro marine engine.

Back to little Blue. Its a 30" deep vee hull, I was going with the .18. Then went to a .21, and said NAH!! Then went and picked up a .46 O.S.MAX for it.:D I am in process right now of glassin' in the JET DRIVE!!! Yes a jet drive WAHOO!
I also went out and picked up the starter motor, a new Futaba radio, fuel tank, water inlet and outlet, a quick fill connection (similar to a nascar car), Octura engine mount, all the steering and throttle rods and controls, exhaust header, tuned pipe (an O.S. .46 requires a tuned pipe sized for a .67:D ) All I really need is to figure out, is the driveshaft,(Size, length, diameter, and how to connect) It's tricky because both ends are different diameters and are not in line.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-19-2006, 12:37 AM
I get to start on the next phase now that I have about 60 hours into the hull.... Looks like it may just fit.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Good thing I have the rescue boat ready.... I may need it soon.

zberger
05-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Good thing I have the rescue boat ready.... I may need it soon.

I Have the smaller version of that boat, its red with metal flake.. just how i'd want my X-Star :woohoo:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I Have the smaller version of that boat, its red with metal flake.. just how i'd want my X-Star :woohoo:
I also have the smaller ones, One yellow and the other red. It sort of like having an X80 next to a set of 190s......
I have a .15 I have been considering sticking in one of them just for fun. But I have to finished some of the other projects before I perform that one.

88 PS190
05-19-2006, 08:41 PM
just make sure you've got plenty of cooling on those nitros, they overheat real quick.

have to get going on my project this summer, weedwacker engined prostar 190 hull, homemade of course, scale inboard gear. should be fun.

probably off of one of the futaba radios i have lyin around.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-20-2006, 10:03 AM
The only thing I like about using 2 stroke motors is the availability of a clutch. Go nitro......;)

BeavenX5
05-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Hey
I had a friend up at the cottage this week-end. Since it rained and was windy all week-end, he and his 10 year old son brough their R/C up. This was a nice pile of truck my son captured...

zberger
05-23-2006, 02:23 PM
The only thing I like about using 2 stroke motors is the availability of a clutch. Go nitro......;)

my weedeater has a clutch :twocents:

BeavenX5
05-23-2006, 02:24 PM
Here is the new cab (1970 El Camino SS 457) I just finished painting this week-end. Nice look but the rear of the cab is a good 3-4 inchs past the bumper of the truck. I wonder how long it will last. :rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
05-23-2006, 02:29 PM
my weedeater has a clutch :twocents:
Yes it does. And there is a pretty good chance if your weedeater broke down, you could swap parts from the R/C.....(If it were 2 stroke that is)

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 03:28 PM
You can design and build centrifugal clutches for R/C boats very easily, they just require two pins into your flywheel and then you can scavage a outer bell off of various R/C car components, and the same w/ the clutch shoes and the clutch spring.

Or you can go from scratch and do pretty well.

I do love nitro, but they're so whiny the neighbors get kinda pissy about it, esp. if you had a nitro boat tearing down the lake.

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 03:34 PM
How are those aluminum arms working beaven?

Personally i'd look into RPM products for aftermarket arms http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/products/traxxas/Revo.htm

they're not quite as trick as the aluminum or titanium parts they have some advantages, 1 price. 2. they give a bit more which protects other more expensive parts on the car, such as your turnbuckles and the actual mounting locations for the arms on the truck.

and they're warrantied.

You might not run into problems but i've seen plenty of bent aluminum parts on R/C trucks, and its difficult to bend them back.

go get some scrap aluminum and make a frame for the rear to protect the body.

BeavenX5
05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
The aluminium arms looks good and work well for now.
I bought those arms off e-bay a bit too fast and without reserch. After researching a little on the subject, I did realise they were not the best as they will not absorb anything during impact and will break something else. I already have a cracked steering turnbuckle that will need to be changed soon. You learn by your mistakes... next time, i will go RPM.
But they look good...

That was my plan to build some kind of skid plate / wheelie bar extending past the bumper. I will ony use this Camino body in light play and even if the plate bends, it is better than destroying the body. For more serious bashing, I still have the stock body.

88 PS190
05-23-2006, 07:10 PM
I tend to do more touring car stuff, can't wait to get the 4-Tec up and going this summer, debating that new 3.3 R engine with a new tuned pipe on there. Thinking 70+ mph.

Gonna need to upgrade radio to get the range i'll need for that kind of speed. Gonna have to go w/ FM

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 08:22 AM
You can design and build centrifugal clutches for R/C boats very easily, they just require two pins into your flywheel and then you can scavage a outer bell off of various R/C car components, and the same w/ the clutch shoes and the clutch spring.

Or you can go from scratch and do pretty well.

I do love nitro, but they're so whiny the neighbors get kinda pissy about it, esp. if you had a nitro boat tearing down the lake.
Do you have a drawing or picture of your description here? I was thinking I was going to end up with a clutch from a helicopter and convert it. If you have something that works, I'd like to see it. The main problem is the crankshaft is a male thread, where most of the clutch setups use a female threaded crank.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 08:31 AM
I tend to do more touring car stuff, can't wait to get the 4-Tec up and going this summer, debating that new 3.3 R engine with a new tuned pipe on there. Thinking 70+ mph.

Gonna need to upgrade radio to get the range i'll need for that kind of speed. Gonna have to go w/ FM
One of my buddys just got a car that is REDICULOUS fast, we haven't clocked it yet, I'd guess 60/70. It is very hard to drive in small areas. Small meaning a football field size lot would be tiny..... What he doesn't like about it (same with me) it is so low to the ground, it pops off the road with even the slightest pebble or rock. And if he hits a rock at speed, it literally blows chunks out of the foam tires. We don't think rubber tires will hold up to the RPM needed so he is looking into alternative foam options. It is a very cool car, 4WD via belts. And the front wheels are on one way bearings so when you lock up the brakes, you can still control the steering, and slide the rear around corners, being 4wd would not be possible otherwise.
I let him get one first to see how we like it. After blowing apart tires every time he takes it out, and he can't drive it down the street. I am going to pass. It's FAST!! I mean sick kind of fast.......

1984StarsandStripes
05-25-2006, 09:06 AM
What about driving it on a high school track? Flat nice rubber surface and free of debris!

One of my buddys just got a car that is REDICULOUS fast, we haven't clocked it yet, I'd guess 60/70. It is very hard to drive in small areas. Small meaning a football field size lot would be tiny..... What he doesn't like about it (same with me) it is so low to the ground, it pops off the road with even the slightest pebble or rock. And if he hits a rock at speed, it literally blows chunks out of the foam tires. We don't think rubber tires will hold up to the RPM needed so he is looking into alternative foam options. It is a very cool car, 4WD via belts. And the front wheels are on one way bearings so when you lock up the brakes, you can still control the steering, and slide the rear around corners, being 4wd would not be possible otherwise.
I let him get one first to see how we like it. After blowing apart tires every time he takes it out, and he can't drive it down the street. I am going to pass. It's FAST!! I mean sick kind of fast.......

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 09:30 AM
What about driving it on a high school track? Flat nice rubber surface and free of debris!
I NASCAR track might be a better option...:rolleyes: a 1/4 mile oval track would probably be perfect. Not sure about the traction of the foam on rubber. You won't believe how fast it is!!! Even on asphalt it is hard to control. It needs concrete. Report back on the rubber track.

1984StarsandStripes
05-25-2006, 09:37 AM
YOu could always sneak into Chicagoland Speedway one night...;) or go out to O'Hara?:eek: or even midway! Sound like fun! Kalamazoo Speedway isn't that far form you either!

I NASCAR track might be a better option...:rolleyes: a 1/4 mile oval track would probably be perfect. Not sure about the traction of the foam on rubber. You won't believe how fast it is!!! Even on asphalt it is hard to control. It needs concrete. Report back on the rubber track.

88 PS190
05-25-2006, 11:16 AM
For foams try to find a large tennis complex that is located at a public park and do not get arrested. I will try to locate my clutch part numbers, which engine did you want it on? those OS marines? You will need to do some severe tuning to get both of them engaging at the same stall point because those things have alot of power, and your hull is on the small side for those engines and if one is engaging pre the other it will get touchy.

Right now i've got my four tec going around 55 or 60 with the low speed gears in the 2 speed trans. That way I still have plenty of low end grunt to slide out the turns.

I'm running rubber slicks on mine (they smell really bad too) With the molded HPI inserts, that keeps expansion down to a minimum but no it won't turn will at top throttle even now, likes to slip the rear.

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 01:57 PM
For foams try to find a large tennis complex that is located at a public park and do not get arrested. I will try to locate my clutch part numbers, which engine did you want it on? those OS marines? You will need to do some severe tuning to get both of them engaging at the same stall point because those things have alot of power, and your hull is on the small side for those engines and if one is engaging pre the other it will get touchy.

Right now i've got my four tec going around 55 or 60 with the low speed gears in the 2 speed trans. That way I still have plenty of low end grunt to slide out the turns.

I'm running rubber slicks on mine (they smell really bad too) With the molded HPI inserts, that keeps expansion down to a minimum but no it won't turn will at top throttle even now, likes to slip the rear.
Doesn't really matter which engine, if I can get it to work on one, I could get it to work on any I think. I have 6 nitro marine engines in inventory I might use for miscellaneous projects, so I don't know which I will try the clutch on right now. I just need to see what you have in mind.
I was thinking of turning the crank down on one, and tapping it out to use it as it were in a standard engine, then attach the driveshaft to the end of the bell either welding it, or adding a coupler of some sort.
I dropped the idea for the jet boat because I don't have the space for anything more than the bare minimum I am already trying to use to keep it light and the driveline short. Designing it to work as is, has proved to be difficult enough using an engine about 4 times of what should be in there. We shall see...... 30" boat, guesstimating about 9 pounds.....:eek: It better be smooth for the test drive.....

Workin' 4 Toys
05-25-2006, 02:02 PM
YOu could always sneak into Chicagoland Speedway one night...;) or go out to O'Hara?:eek: or even midway! Sound like fun! Kalamazoo Speedway isn't that far form you either!
All I can say is, YEAH RIGHT!
There was another oval around somewhere.
Oh, and the tennis court won't work either, it's more slick the the asphalt road.
I doubt I will get one of those anyway, too much trouble finding places to use them.
I am leaning towards a truggy.. I would like an old school style with the full cage chassis, in 1/8 scale, I can't remember the name, I will have to find it somewhere. (Just a thought)

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2006, 02:48 PM
I am considering a Team Associated TC3 kit. Although they seem like they will be releasing a buggy soon.
I wanted a buggy before, now I want both. Or do I finish the boat first......Decisions, decisions.....

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
This project is near completion, & IT FLOATS.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:02 PM
During break in............

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Holy smokes, you got it finished?!?!:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:06 PM
And the MASTERCRAFTS...................

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
And the MASTERCRAFTS...................

Looks like an X80 and a couple X7's!:D

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Holy smokes, you got it finished?!?!:cool:
I ran into some MAJOR draw backs and had to go back to the drawing board a few times.....:o
After changing my mind a few times about the engine, whoever would have thought they require a .67 sized pipe for a .46 motor....
It's only making a few horsepower.....:D

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
Get some video of that sucker when you get a chance.:cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Looks like an X80 and a couple X7's!:D
I was thinking New bright had MC pegged awhile ago for the new '07 styles. You know........ BIG pickle and SMALL pickle boats...Hmmmm:rolleyes:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Get some video of that sucker when you get a chance.:cool:
How do I post that??????

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
OK...OK... a couple X2's.

I was going for the size comparison.

bcampbe7
07-26-2006, 04:15 PM
How do I post that??????

You can throw it on You Tube or even Photobucket and then just post a link here.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-27-2006, 08:42 AM
I didn't realize you were into RC boats too.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-27-2006, 08:44 AM
OK...OK... a couple X2's.

I was going for the size comparison.
Yes, I get it.
One X-80 and two X-2's.....;)
My kid is getting the hang of driving now. :D

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 09:10 AM
I didn't realize you were into RC boats too.

I like anything RC related. I don't know much about boats though.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-27-2006, 09:16 AM
Did I mention myself and a few of the guys are building a huge track for the trucks......?
I'll post some pics when the time comes.
So far we leveled the lot. And killed off the necessary vegetation. Soon the bumps and jumps......:D

bcampbe7
07-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Did I mention myself and a few of the guys are building a huge track for the trucks......?
I'll post some pics when the time comes.
So far we leveled the lot. And killed off the necessary vegetation. Soon the bumps and jumps......:D

That would be great!
The local Hobby shop has been saying for the last 6 months that they are going to build a track. Nothing has been done as of yet. I would love to have a track around here.
My brother lives in Naperville. I will bring my Revo 3.3 when I visit and look you up. :cool:

Workin' 4 Toys
07-27-2006, 02:42 PM
40 minute ride to the track. I'll get some pics up when there is something other than flat dirt to look at.
There are more and more of the guys getting them now in hopes the track will be ready by spring.
Could be 20-30 of them......:D

chudson
07-27-2006, 02:49 PM
FYI don't know if you've heard about this place, it's in downstate IL. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0002p?&M=HCA&P=GO ha d some friends work there at one time.

Hoosier Bob
07-29-2006, 07:32 PM
I am a marketing rep and am out of the office most of the time. The guys at the office have set up a course for the 1/18 HPI RS4 Micro. Stock it runs 20 mph! Hopped up close to forty and on radar really hopped up 56 mph! Stock runs 30 minutes, hopped 15-20 and super duper 10-12! I had to get one so it is on it's way. AWD plus I have already ordered all chassis and engine upgrades and suspension toys. The track in the office is cool and during periods of downtime I will kick some arse!:D

Workin' 4 Toys
07-29-2006, 09:26 PM
I am a marketing rep and am out of the office most of the time. The guys at the office have set up a course for the 1/18 HPI RS4 Micro. Stock it runs 20 mph! Hopped up close to forty and on radar really hopped up 56 mph! Stock runs 30 minutes, hopped 15-20 and super duper 10-12! I had to get one so it is on it's way. AWD plus I have already ordered all chassis and engine upgrades and suspension toys. The track in the office is cool and during periods of downtime I will kick some arse!:D
Nice to see you are getting involved with something.
Hopefully you will find it cuts into your drinking time......:rolleyes:
That sounds cool. Titanium parts &, large O.S. motor and a pipe is about all you need....

Hoosier Bob
07-29-2006, 10:04 PM
If you could not drink and RC I would have a big problem! I will probably have a hard time shaking this rep huh?:o
56 mph electric! Oh yeah I have a ton of RC crap! Boats, cars and trucks! I love messing with them!Nice to see you are getting involved with something.
Hopefully you will find it cuts into your drinking time......:rolleyes:
That sounds cool. Titanium parts &, large O.S. motor and a pipe is about all you need....

bcampbe7
07-29-2006, 10:28 PM
If you could not drink and RC I would have a big problem! I will probably have a hard time shaking this rep huh?:o
56 mph electric! Oh yeah I have a ton of RC crap! Boats, cars and trucks! I love messing with them!

For the 1/18th RS4 micro you are going to want a Mamba Competition X brushles system and lipo batteries. Replace any plastic part with carbon fiber and you will be good to go.

You can find what you need here:
1/18th Brushless stuff (http://www.b-p-p.com/categories.php?cat=14)

A Mamba Competition X system with a 3s lipo and the correct gearing and that little RS4 will be hitting 60mph!:woohoo:

This is my 1/18th speed demon...:cool:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/RC18T/RC18T015.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
07-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Associated........ Nicely done Beau.....:toast:

Hoosier Bob
07-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Already on it's way but for a second. I don't need 60 in a 40' square room. I have ordered a second vehicle equiped as such! Man they fly! It is amazing how small the electronics have gotten!

Workin' 4 Toys
07-29-2006, 10:51 PM
Already on it's way but for a second. I don't need 60 in a 40' square room. I have ordered a second vehicle equiped as such! Man they fly! It is amazing how small the electronics have gotten!
Electrics are boring to me. I MUST have exhaust and that BRAP!!!
Whats next HB, a hybrid toyota for you......:(

Hoosier Bob
07-29-2006, 10:52 PM
I have been thinking about a 2006 HOOSIERBOBWHIPSYOURASS! Fastest and baddest in these parts anyway!:D Electrics are boring to me. I MUST have exhaust and that BRAP!!!
Whats next HB, a hybrid toyota for you......:(

Workin' 4 Toys
07-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Just bring that bug zapper over here and I'll show you what's up....8p

Hoosier Bob
07-31-2006, 11:03 PM
OK, I spent a bunch of dough ebaying and came out with an Associated RC18B Factory, 3 RS4's and a bunch of hopups! Spy Speed controllers and aftermarket motors. No Mamba but a bunch of crap to have a tone of fun. Christmas in Indiana is next week! I will put the 60 MPH kit in one of the RS4's but the rest have to compete with each other. The Factory RC18B is loaded but I have already spent an s-load on alloy! Anyway these things are cool!For the 1/18th RS4 micro you are going to want a Mamba Competition X brushles system and lipo batteries. Replace any plastic part with carbon fiber and you will be good to go.

You can find what you need here:
1/18th Brushless stuff (http://www.b-p-p.com/categories.php?cat=14)

A Mamba Competition X system with a 3s lipo and the correct gearing and that little RS4 will be hitting 60mph!:woohoo:

This is my 1/18th speed demon...:cool:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c159/bcampbe7/RC18T/RC18T015.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
08-18-2006, 07:34 PM
HB, nevermind...........:rolleyes:
I'll just say Sphere & NEO and let your mind wander..........:D :D

Hoosier Bob
08-18-2006, 10:07 PM
I love it when you talk dirty to me WFT!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I love it when you talk dirty to me WFT!
Let's just say, you "think" you got fast.......:rolleyes:
4800MAH of terminal burnin' fury comin' yer way ........8p
Can you say LI-PO suction.....ohhhhhh........:D

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Did you get one? Remember I have 2 of each so I can grab one of the kids to race with. 40+ is plenty. 60+ would happen once and one of us would be really po'd.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Yup, and it needs to be put together...:D TEAM KIT.....:D 1/10 scale 4WD ON ROAD....:D Guess what BODY and WHEELS I had to get for it too...... (Insert 4th BIG SMILIE here)

bcampbe7
08-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Here is a short vid of my RC18T.
Wife was having a hard time keeping it in view. :D

http://media.putfile.com/RC18T

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2006, 08:43 PM
Beau, that is pretty fast. You running those tires you have in the pic?

What's involved sending a video like that? Can you load it to that site straight from the camera, or do you load it to the computer and then send it? Does it require a certain format?

bcampbe7
08-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Beau, that is pretty fast. You running those tires you have in the pic?

What's involved sending a video like that? Can you load it to that site straight from the camera, or do you load it to the computer and then send it? Does it require a certain format?

Yep, same tires as in the pic... I was at the hobby store today and was going to buy some 1/10th 26mm sedan street tires and wheels but they did not have the hexes in stock.

If you do not want to edit the video, just import it to your PC and upload it to Putfile, Youtube, or Photobucket.

If you have some editing to do, you will need to import it from the camera to the PC using Windows movie maker (free, probably have it on your PC now) or some other video editing program like Adobe Premier ($$$).

I then create the video and save the movie as a wmv.

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Beau, I was running both RC18 buggies night before last with the Trinity motor upgrade and the flat out fly. One is all aluminum and the other has a few alloy parts. My question is why I melted the solder connection on both at the motor. We were stuck in the grass a couple of times but other than that do not know why. I was jumping one off a skateboard ramp. I would barely roll up and punch it. It would fly from about 4 feet in the street over another 4-5 feet to the sidewalk! This thing launches. Then they both quit!:confused:
Hoosier

bcampbe7
08-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Beau, I was running both RC18 buggies night before last with the Trinity motor upgrade and the flat out fly. One is all aluminum and the other has a few alloy parts. My question is why I melted the solder connection on both at the motor. We were stuck in the grass a couple of times but other than that do not know why. I was jumping one off a skateboard ramp. I would barely roll up and punch it. It would fly from about 4 feet in the street over another 4-5 feet to the sidewalk! This thing launches. Then they both quit!:confused:
Hoosier

Awesome Hoosier! Lets see some pics.

Did you buy a brushless system for them yet? Mamba Competition or Competition X is what I recommend.

http://www.b-p-p.com/products.php?cat=36

Running it in the grass causes the motor to work harder and get hot.
If you are melting the solder on the connections you are running it too hard.

1/10th scale would be better for running in the grass.

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Not running in the grass but ending up there on occasion. They are plenty fast for me. My guess is they would eat my .18 nitro alive right now! No more speed as my kids are running the second of the RC18's and RS4's. The buggy looks way cool and I will have some pics soon. Take care and take care of the ultimate toy as well!;)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2006, 10:17 PM
http://media.putfile.com/GTO-movie

How did I do???? Did it work??

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Yes, can you say lope? Twin super stack? W T F?

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Doobley Postey Sorry!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Yes, just to say it CAN be done I suppose.....:confused: Other than that I can't say.

Hoosier Bob
08-19-2006, 10:24 PM
Would have been nice to see it actually run WFT. That is what you came up with? I am disapointed!8p

Workin' 4 Toys
08-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Now that I know how.....................:D

Now, If I could just figure out how to make a video out of pictures........I could make some entertainment...:rolleyes:

Leroy
08-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Can you guys jump your house with your RC car?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5896970544510414787&hl=en

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Can you guys jump your house with your RC car?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5896970544510414787&hl=en
I want to know what you were searching for that you found that.......:rolleyes:

And by the way, that was "only" the garage....... I'd do it without hesitation if I could find a volunteer to let me take a chance on missing the ramp a taking out the DOOR!!!! No chance I could jump my own, It would need rockets attached...Hmmmmmmm.......thinking..........:D

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
What's so much better about LIPO compared to NIMH?

bcampbe7
08-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Much lighter per volts and runtime achieved.
The "only" downside (which is a big one) is that you really have to watch Lipos when they are charging. If they are overcharge they will explode!

The new world record would not have been possible without Lipo batts. Check this out!

http://www.racers-haven.com/videos/134,4mph%20speed%20run-big.wmv

He actually hit 160mph but lost control and could not duplicate the run so the 160 could be verified.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:29 AM
I have also heard you can get more/better "load" with a NIMH AND lipo's are junk if you bring them down below a certain Voltage.....
I was talking to a buddy of mine who in my perspective is an "electrical" genius. If I recall his words were, LIPO has its place, and an RC car may not be the best for my application.
I am probably going to go with NIMH since I think I can get more draw from it. I was doing a little reading from some links he sent me. Looks like LIPO is "ideal" for helicopters and maybe planes, but not much else.

bcampbe7
08-23-2006, 08:28 AM
I have also heard you can get more/better "load" with a NIMH AND lipo's are junk if you bring them down below a certain Voltage.....
I was talking to a buddy of mine who in my perspective is an "electrical" genius. If I recall his words were, LIPO has its place, and an RC car may not be the best for my application.
I am probably going to go with NIMH since I think I can get more draw from it. I was doing a little reading from some links he sent me. Looks like LIPO is "ideal" for helicopters and maybe planes, but not much else.

That is true, if you run lipos you want an ESC that has a low voltage cutoff.
People that race will also use lipos because they are much lighter.
If you go with NiMH you will want to store the batts at about 75% charge. NiCD are suppose to be store in an uncharged state.

GP cells are one of the best cells you can buy.
Check out www.maxamps.com for batts.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I am going with NIMH, now which one is the next issue......

bcampbe7
08-23-2006, 02:21 PM
I am going with NIMH, now which one is the next issue......

For the most power, go with a zapped and matched pack.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 02:29 PM
For the most power, go with a zapped and matched pack.
All this power.....I think I am going to need titanium gears....:rolleyes: :D

Workin' 4 Toys
09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Going with the NIMH Reedy X-Rated SHV GP3700 Battery Pack, 6-cell assembled pack.
What charger should I go with?
I think I am probably going to pick up another RC10?? or 18?? too but that will probably run NICD's.

bcampbe7
09-12-2006, 09:36 AM
This is a great charger for the money. I have the MRC 959 and it is great but does not charge lipo or 2 packs at once.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML

This is also a good one but requires an external power source.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

Power supply:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXEG98&P=V

Hoosier Bob
09-12-2006, 09:37 AM
I have the 959 and it works really well. Both packs done at the same time and peaked.
Sorry, I have the 977 Super Brain!

Workin' 4 Toys
09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
I have the 959 and it works really well. Both packs done at the same time and peaked.
How's your trucks doin'? Get the upgrade yet?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-12-2006, 09:47 AM
This is a great charger for the money. I have the MRC 959 and it is great but does not charge lipo or 2 packs at once.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLCJ6&P=ML

This is also a good one but requires an external power source.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHDJ1&P=ML

Power supply:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXEG98&P=V
$60.00........... And I thought I knew you.......:rolleyes:
I Figured I'd be in for at least 2 hundo

bcampbe7
09-12-2006, 09:54 AM
$60.00........... And I thought I knew you.......:rolleyes:
I Figured I'd be in for at least 2 hundo

What are you talking about??? :confused:

If you buy the ICE with that power supply you will be in for $250. That MRC 977 is a great charger for the $95.

Hoosier Bob
09-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Mine are fast enough and very competitive with the kids. So far I keep burning the solder joints when I wreck and hit grass. Word is while I am tryning to get out of the grass with the 1/18 it heats up and burns the solder joint. I have been too bz to fix but may this weekend as I have just found out all will be skiing and not drinking at MM! Who T F wants to do that!:mad: I will be home playing with my toys and yes I will have a cold one close by!How's your trucks doin'? Get the upgrade yet?

Hoosier Bob
09-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I lied I have the 977 Super Brain! My bad!What are you talking about??? :confused:

If you buy the ICE with that power supply you will be in for $250. That MRC 977 is a great charger for the $95.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
What are you talking about??? :confused:
Apparently I need to be more specific with my posts......8p

MRC Super Brain 959 Charger

Tower's Low Price 44.99
Tax & Shipping $15.00

bcampbe7
09-13-2006, 10:15 AM
I gotchya... I am a little slow due to lack of sleep.:D

I bought 2 of the 959's, does that count?:rolleyes:

Did you buy a charger yet?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-13-2006, 10:34 AM
I gotchya... I am a little slow due to lack of sleep.:D

I bought 2 of the 959's, does that count?:rolleyes:

Did you buy a charger yet?
Come on with the "yet". I just asked about it yesterday......:cool: Yes I did, I looked at your suggestion, and I went with the Novak Ionic, seemed to fit my needs better. And as an added bonus it's Made in USA.....:D

bcampbe7
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
It's about time!

Good choice... Novak is a great company.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
It's about time!

Good choice... Novak is a great company.
Now, I have to finish up some "things" this week, and I may actually build the new ride next week. I have all the goods now. Well, maybe all, I want titanium gears for it, but can't figure out which I should get.
And I almost left the shop yesterday with new associated 1/18 scale buggy...I gotta stay out of that place....:rolleyes:
And I still have to try to get to the pond and try out the boat so I can get my game plan together to build the next one, the 40" is still sitting on the shelf calling me in it's blank state....:o

AND I am still on the look out for a candidate to let me launch the Savage over their house....:D No takers yet....

bcampbe7
09-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Now, I have to finish up some "things" this week, and I may actually build the new ride next week. I have all the goods now. Well, maybe all, I want titanium gears for it, but can't figure out which I should get.
And I almost left the shop yesterday with new associated 1/18 scale buggy...I gotta stay out of that place....:rolleyes:
And I still have to try to get to the pond and try out the boat so I can get my game plan together to build the next one, the 40" is still sitting on the shelf calling me in it's blank state....:o

AND I am still on the look out for a candidate to let me launch the Savage over their house....:D No takers yet....

I'd let you try over my house but I don't have the room to get up to speed. :D

88 PS190
09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
if anyone else is looking on the cheap, i've had a duratrax intillipeak charger for years doing rc batteries and airsoft AEG batteries.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-14-2006, 07:20 AM
I'd let you try over my house but I don't have the room to get up to speed. :D
I don't need much room , just a BIG ramp.... It's missing the ramp at 50MPH that has me hestitant about using my own....:o

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Beau, I found one for ya.......
It's all you (http://cgi.ebay.com/TURBINE-JET-THE-BAD-OF-THE-BAD-IN-R-C_W0QQitemZ190038640487QQihZ009QQcategoryZ19164QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem):D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 08:45 PM
These are awesome (http://cgi.ebay.com/1-4-SCALE-PHOENIX-ARROW-SPRINT-CAR_W0QQitemZ320035218289QQihZ011QQcategoryZ19168Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Stand clear:eek: (http://cgi.ebay.com/VARIO-B206-Large-Scale-Jet-Ranger-III-with-ROSSI-90-NEW_W0QQitemZ140039336716QQihZ004QQcategoryZ19164Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 09:26 PM
If I have to spend what I paid for my MC on an RC I have issues! OK not quite as much but why not BUY A CAR and trash it!

bcampbe7
10-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would be spending that much on a R/C plane.
I have heard that you have to have a special "license" to fly those jets b/c they go so fast. Not sure if that is true or not.

I do like the helicopters and wouldn't mind getting one of the cheaper 4ch RTR models. I was driving home from work today and saw someone flying one at the local R/C airfield. I wish I had time to stop, he was doing some pretty cool acrobatics.

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Lets just buy a couple of 1975 Caprice Classics and bash them into each other in some field! Way more fun! RC is for the drive way! MX and Derby are where it is at! For a grand I can find you an old beater and a stripper that will ride with you! We have to do this!;)

6ballsisall
10-09-2006, 10:23 PM
Lets just buy a couple of 1975 Caprice Classics and bash them into each other in some field! Way more fun! RC is for the drive way! MX and Derby are where it is at! For a grand I can find you an old beater and a stripper that will ride with you! We have to do this!;)

HMMMMM....... demolition boat tourney at MM next year????? I see more and more reasons to get a Bayliner :D

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:25 PM
You know I am in! What is the diff? OK I ain't smashing my ride! I will smash yours!;)
Don't mess with me as I am "Bouy Boy!"

6ballsisall
10-09-2006, 10:26 PM
You know I am in! What is the diff? OK I ain't smashing my ride! I will smash yours!;)
Don't mess with me as I am "Bouy Boy!"

Lets each buy a POS boat and tow it down there and see what they can do! :D

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 10:32 PM

HB, if anyone has seen this, I'd guess it would be you. Over at that track just over the border in Ind. They do demolition SCHOOL BUSES!:steering: !! And CAMPERS on a figure 8 track...... You ever seen this?? Gives a new meaning to "RUN WHAT U BRUNG"
I have also heard up until not so long ago, they would let you RENT one of THEIR buses for the derby.

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
I am sure I can find an old Thompson laying around! I am in!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 10:34 PM
SCHOOL BUS DEMO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3RrtKdSWJU&mode=related&search=)

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Hell yes I have seen it! One day I hope to be the King of SBDEMO! Nothing like the smell of an old lunch pale with a four day old jelly sandwich and burning Yellow and Black paint!:D HB, if anyone has seen this, I'd guess it would be you. Over at that track just over the border in Ind. They do demolition SCHOOL BUSES!:steering: !! And CAMPERS on a figure 8 track...... You ever seen this?? Gives a new meaning to "RUN WHAT U BRUNG"
I have also heard up until not so long ago, they would let you RENT one of THEIR buses for the derby.

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I know you were rooting for the short bus WFT!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 10:53 PM
I know you were rooting for the short bus WFT!
You are in the Pink.......Nuff said....

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:54 PM
I would eat you up and spit you out PINK! You need to come play with HOOSIER!

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah, I don't think I would be spending that much on a R/C plane.
I have heard that you have to have a special "license" to fly those jets b/c they go so fast. Not sure if that is true or not.

I do like the helicopters and wouldn't mind getting one of the cheaper 4ch RTR models. I was driving home from work today and saw someone flying one at the local R/C airfield. I wish I had time to stop, he was doing some pretty cool acrobatics.
I have never driven a REAL jet plane, but they are wicked cool.
Helicopters are MUCH harder to fly than I expected, I will have one, but I better start with the Small ones. I have some seen some injuries from heli's. NASTY if you don't know what you are doing....Or have had too many cocktails...

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
So you are actually getting into a hobby that requires sobriety? I AM OUT!

6ballsisall
10-09-2006, 11:02 PM
I have never driven a REAL jet plane, but they are wicked cool.
Helicopters are MUCH harder to fly than I expected, I will have one, but I better start with the Small ones. I have some seen some injuries from heli's. NASTY if you don't know what you are doing....Or have had too many cocktails...

I was thinking about getting one of the copters. What's hard about them? There is a great field by our house I could fly it in. Just curious.

Hoosier Bob
10-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Have you ever played pick up sticks?

Workin' 4 Toys
10-09-2006, 11:09 PM
I was thinking about getting one of the copters. What's hard about them? There is a great field by our house I could fly it in. Just curious.
Well, to some it up, taking off and landing......Once its in the air its fun. But the first dozen or so flights, it WILL eat dirt. So be prepared for some repairs.
Controlling tail spin is the hardest. Especially if there are other people around. They can get away from you faster than anything else, even planes.

If you get one, get the "lightest" one you can get your paws on. They hurt much less! And get the landing supports. It will keep the blades off the ground during take off and landing. They are very cool but take alot of patience.