PDA

View Full Version : New Music...?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 10:56 PM
What's the newest music you have? I am always looking for new music. This should help.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I just picked up Kenny Chesney "The road and the radio" today.

Cloaked
12-15-2005, 10:59 PM
Santana's newest... Most excellent.

milkmania
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I just picked up Kenny Chesney "The road and the radio" today.

I just made a copy of Kenny Chesney "All I want for Christmas is a real good tan":rolleyes:

not MY type of music, I had it shoved into my face (sitting at my desk) and heard "copy this"

my reply, you ask???????

"Yes, dear":o

Danimal
12-16-2005, 09:24 AM
I just picked up the new John Mayer Trio. If you like 70's rock/blues in the mold of bands like Cream, do yourself a favor and pick up this CD. John Mayer is a brave artist. Known for his sugar coated ballads, he really went out on a limb with this CD and didn't cowtow to his record label by putting out more bubble gum. Just to show his bravery... his first CD release with the Trio is a live CD.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 10:09 AM
Santana's newest... Most excellent.
What's the name of the newest?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 10:12 AM
I just picked up the new John Mayer Trio. If you like 70's rock/blues in the mold of bands like Cream, do yourself a favor and pick up this CD. John Mayer is a brave artist. Known for his sugar coated ballads, he really went out on a limb with this CD and didn't cowtow to his record label by putting out more bubble gum. Just to show his bravery... his first CD release with the Trio is a live CD.
What's the name of this album?
(Do they still call them albums?) I usually find myself calling all music CD's now.
Back when we were spinning records it was album, do I sound old by calling it that?

SteveO
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
I can't believe I am posting this, but the new Blink 182 greatest hits is great boarding music.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I can't believe I am posting this, but the new Blink 182 greatest hits is great boarding music.
I have never been into "greatest hits" of anything. I guess I would like to decide for myself what is greatest, even if it takes me 3 or 4 cds to do it, I delete the songs I don't like, and I keep the rest. I currently do not have any Blink, but I will look into it and see if they are my slice o' cheese.

shepherd
12-16-2005, 10:36 AM
I literally stumbled across this guy on iTunes while looking for something else: http://www.theessink.com/en/
Hans Theessink. Anybody heard of him???
Great delta blues, guitar pickin', baritone voice. You wouldn't know it from listening to it but the guy is from the Netherlands.
Check out some of the samples on his website (audio page). "24 Hours a Day" is a good tune.

I like the hard rock/metal stuff to pump me up for skiing, etc. but this is some cool laid back sh!t. :)

Danimal
12-16-2005, 10:42 AM
What's the name of this album?
(Do they still call them albums?) I usually find myself calling all music CD's now.
Back when we were spinning records it was album, do I sound old by calling it that?

It's called "Try". I can't get it out of my CD player. Not many people know that he is quite an accomplished blues player. I saw him on Austin City Limits and he played with SRV's back up band Double Trouble plus Buddy Guy came out for a couple songs. Great Show!!

Cloaked
12-16-2005, 05:46 PM
What's the name of the newest?"All that I Am"

If you like Santana at all, this is some of the better composition.

:toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 10:23 PM
"All that I Am"

If you like Santana at all, this is some of the better composition.

:toast:
I don't have any Santana currently, but I am willing to try it out.
I am in process of finding the need to get a 100,000 song MP3 player in the near future. So I am going to load up on some new stuff.

SKI*MC
12-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Um, i recently got the the "newest" Taking Back Sunday CD. Where you want to be is the name of the album. Its pretty good. They used so by a lot like blink 182, but they changed alot in their new CD. Another band that i hightliy Recomend, is Billy Talent (its a band not 1 person) They have a unique sound that i really like. And if anyone is looking for some good ole' metal, Slipknot Volume 3 Subliminal Verses, their drummer Joey Jordinson, is truely amazing when it comes to playing the drums, he is also recorded to be the fastest drummer in the world, along with the drummer from slayer i believe...

sassydog
12-17-2005, 12:01 PM
new Strokes out Jan 3. the new album was supposed to be out dec 26, but oh well. i'm positive it'll be worth it;

Workin' 4 Toys
12-22-2005, 10:18 PM
It's called "Try". I can't get it out of my CD player. Not many people know that he is quite an accomplished blues player. I saw him on Austin City Limits and he played with SRV's back up band Double Trouble plus Buddy Guy came out for a couple songs. Great Show!!
Picked up John Mayer Trio w/ Steve Jordan and Pino, Try. Thanks for the tip.
Also picked up a Johnny Cash while I was nosing around.

SKI*MC
12-27-2005, 08:51 PM
I just got the new Avenged Sevenfold CD. There new album "City of Evil" is really good if your into metel. Or anything to pump you up before a ski set! :headbang: :headbang:

Danimal
12-28-2005, 09:37 AM
Picked up John Mayer Trio w/ Steve Jordan and Pino, Try. Thanks for the tip.
Also picked up a Johnny Cash while I was nosing around.

I also picked up some Johnny Cash this last weekend. How do you like the Mayer CD?

bigmac
12-28-2005, 10:44 AM
I have never been into "greatest hits" of anything. I guess I would like to decide for myself what is greatest, even if it takes me 3 or 4 cds to do it, I delete the songs I don't like, and I keep the rest. I currently do not have any Blink, but I will look into it and see if they are my slice o' cheese.

Not to obsess on the iPod concept, but an album at the Apple music store is $9.99. I agree with your sentiments and particularly appreciate being able to go to an album and listen to, pick, and choose the songs I want and skip the others. I note that my iPod has a lot of 4-5 song albums on it.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 10:46 AM
I just got the new Avenged Sevenfold CD. There new album "City of Evil" is really good if your into metel. Or anything to pump you up before a ski set! :headbang: :headbang:
Yup for sure,
Also a fan of POD, Nickelback, Disturbed, etc. genre, I don't have a "metal" catagory on my list, so they fit in with my sepultura, metallica, megadeth, korn, pantera, etc...

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 10:51 AM
I also picked up some Johnny Cash this last weekend. How do you like the Mayer CD?
Only been able to run samples of it, what I've had a chance to to hear I like. I bought 6 cds last week, and got 6 more for christmas (what's the chances they weren't the same ones;) ) I have not made it much further than loading them on the comp. I have to pick and choose the tunes that stay and the ones that get deleted. I don't need the junk I don't like taking up valuable space.....:D

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Not to obsess on the iPod concept, but an album at the Apple music store is $9.99. I agree with your sentiments and particularly appreciate being able to go to an album and listen to, pick, and choose the songs I want and skip the others. I note that my iPod has a lot of 4-5 song albums on it.
I have many cds I only load (or keep) 1 or 2 songs. I think of it as if my taste in music changes over the years, I will be able to go back and add or delete as needed. I have ZERO downloaded music, and I "probably" won't in the near future. (Eventually I may not have this option)

BrianM
12-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Not brand new but I think that the Crossfade CD is one of the best rock albums out in a long time. I dowloaded it when it first came out and ran it in my CD player non stop for about three weeks. Can't tell you the last time I did that with a CD. The couple of songs that have a lot of radio play are getting a little old but the rest of the CD is really good.

bigmac
12-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I have many cds I only load (or keep) 1 or 2 songs. I think of it as if my taste in music changes over the years, I will be able to go back and add or delete as needed. I have ZERO downloaded music, and I "probably" won't in the near future. (Eventually I may not have this option)

I've never really been a big music fan - I tend to like individual songs rather than particular artists or genres, so I've always found buying a CD to be a crapshoot, and standing at the voluminous CD rack at Target a sort of bewildering experience. Often, if I ever bought a CD, it was on the basis of one or two songs I might have heard on XM or somewhere. For me then, downloading music is a great option because I can just pick and choose individual songs, pre-listen to them and be more cost-efficient in music purchases. I've never owned an iPod before and likely wouldn't have one now if they hadn't done the video iPod model, but I do find it nice to browse music on my computer and add music that strikes my fancy in addition to podcasts, video, DVDs etc.

Personal thing - everybody does it differently. My wife has many, many CDs, but a guy can only listen to "Miss Saigon" or Andrea Boccelli so many times...I'm glad Steve Jobs has provided yet another option "for the rest of us".

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Just returned from BB.
Picked up
Blink 182, Enema of the State,
and
Ying Yang Twins, United States of Atlanta.

Sporty, they were out of santana....
Ski*mc- I had sevenfold in my hands, but I couldn't remember if it was the right album, so I put it back, I see now it was right... oh well, next time.
Stevo- Right on, some good boarding tunes....

SKI*MC
12-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Enema of the state is a good one! If you have itunes, just get everything from itunes. Its cheaper, then just burn it onto a cd.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Enema of the state is a good one! If you have itunes, just get everything from itunes. Its cheaper, then just burn it onto a cd.

I know all about itunes, but I need the hard copy.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 08:49 PM
What the ........???

What's the scam with the "Pickin' on............" albums. There are no vocals..

bigmac
12-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Just returned from BB.
Picked up
Blink 182, Enema of the State,
and
Ying Yang Twins, United States of Atlanta.

Sporty, they were out of santana....

http://mccollister.info/santana.jpg

Workin' 4 Toys
12-28-2005, 10:22 PM
You crack me up.........:headbang:

SKI*MC
12-28-2005, 11:51 PM
Here are some really amazing guitarists, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, G3, and Jeff Beck.

bigmac
12-29-2005, 12:23 AM
You crack me up.........:headbang:
http://forums.aswp.net/images/smilies/bannerLOL.gif

bigmac
12-29-2005, 09:38 AM
I know all about itunes, but I need the hard copy.

Actually, you're in good company. While (legal) music album downloads are up about 150% in the last year, CD album sales are only down about 6%.

For all their whining about file-sharing, and the internet being the end of commercial music, it would seem that the MPAA doesn't have that much to complain about relative to overall music sales.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-29-2005, 10:39 AM
I was in line with at least 40 others and most had a cd of some sort in their hands.
Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to DL music, it's just not my choice. I'd rather have the hard copy permanently. I burn the tunes I want when I don't want to bring the pod along.

bigmac
12-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I was in line with at least 40 others and most had a cd of some sort in their hands.
Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to DL music, it's just not my choice. I'd rather have the hard copy permanently. I burn the tunes I want when I don't want to bring the pod along.

I will defend, to the death, your right to buy music CDs instead of downloading your music... :D

SKI*MC
12-30-2005, 10:38 PM
It really doesnt matter to me. But some of the musicians that bust their a$$es to put out a good cd, deserve the few cents they get out of it when you buy their CD. As opposed to... oh lets say.. 50 cent, which all he does is mumble into a mic, and "sing" at a totally different rythm than the beat... then i will download him off some free site. :rolleyes:

bigmac
12-30-2005, 11:25 PM
It really doesnt matter to me. But some of the musicians that bust their a$$es to put out a good cd, deserve the few cents they get out of it when you buy their CD. As opposed to... oh lets say.. 50 cent, which all he does is mumble into a mic, and "sing" at a totally different rythm than the beat... then i will download him off some free site. :rolleyes:

No, no, no...I'm not talking about pirating music...I'm talking about downloading from iTunes or whatever at $.99 per song. Illegal file sharing web sites aside, the poor starving musicians get just as much money from downloaded music as they do from CDs. Which is to say, they get ripped off by their record label all the same no matter how the music gets to the consumer.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 01:32 AM
I don't download them either way. Legal or not.....:D Although, is burning myself a copy to have it in the boat legal? I don't want to scratch the real deal.

bigmac
12-31-2005, 09:08 AM
I don't download them either way. Legal or not.....:D Although, is burning myself a copy to have it in the boat legal? I don't want to scratch the real deal.

Currently, as the Fair Use Act and the Audio Home Recording Act of 1992 are interpreted, the average consumer has the right to make a copy of a CD or DVD for backup purposes as long as he is the original purchaser and still retains the original. The RIAA and MPAA are still very bitter about that series of court decisions.

Another aspect of that decision, IIRC, is that recording companies have no obligation to provide the means for making a backup copy. They have interpreted that to mean that they can encrypt or scramble the discs.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-31-2005, 11:47 AM
I have one of those. Believe it or not, the only disc I have had issues loading is J-Kwon, Hood Hop. Some sort of encryption/scrambling. STUPID!!!!!

SKI*MC
12-31-2005, 10:57 PM
The new Foo Fighters CD is encryped. Thats just plain stupid! :mad:
Oh yeah, i got another cd, Motion City Soundtrack. They have a really mellow and unique sound. I like their music. If your looking for a single song as a sampe that is really good. "Everything is Alright" is a realy good one! :headbang: :woohoo:

JEREMY79
12-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Check out Jack Johnson if you like a laid back style music. Great boat tunes

Workin' 4 Toys
01-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Thanks. I'll look into them..

André
01-01-2006, 03:48 PM
Check out Jack Johnson if you like a laid back style music. Great boat tunes
Got to listen his CD yesterday,very cool!
His CD jacket is nice too!

east tx skier
01-01-2006, 04:05 PM
The new Foo Fighters CD is encryped. Thats just plain stupid! :mad:
Oh yeah, i got another cd, Motion City Soundtrack. They have a really mellow and unique sound. I like their music. If your looking for a single song as a sampe that is really good. "Everything is Alright" is a realy good one! :headbang: :woohoo:

There is some older encryption that you could bypass by holding the "ctrl" button down as you put the cd tray into the computer. This worked for me on at least one David Bowie CD that would automatically take you to the CD rom function when you put it into the computer.

SKI*MC
01-01-2006, 05:14 PM
There is some older encryption that you could bypass by holding the "ctrl" button down as you put the cd tray into the computer. This worked for me on at least one David Bowie CD that would automatically take you to the CD rom function when you put it into the computer.

YOU ARE DA MAN!!!! :worthy: :worthy: That worked! Thanks a lot!!!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Are you kidding me???

SKI*MC
01-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Yes! It really did work!

Workin' 4 Toys
01-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Still won't load to itunes. Didn't do anything for me. Maybe I'm just stoooopid.

SKI*MC
01-01-2006, 05:41 PM
are you holding in CTRL when the tray is going into the computer?

Workin' 4 Toys
01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
are you holding in CTRL when the tray is going into the computer?
Yup, the disc plays fine, always has in the comp., but won't LOAD to itunes without the skips.

east tx skier
01-01-2006, 10:14 PM

Really? I was just joking.

Okay, I wasn't. Pretty neat, huh. I don't think it works on the new sony encryption, but that didn't last long since they were enabling people to hack into your computer.

east tx skier
01-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Yup, the disc plays fine, always has in the comp., but won't LOAD to itunes without the skips.

Skips? Is it a sony CD? Do you have itunes setup to rip it a little slower so there is less likelihood of a skip? You might also try ripping it with Windows Media Player, then importing the songs into itunes.

Workin' 4 Toys
01-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I've got almost 300 cd's loaded, and had trouble with this ONE. I do not know what the problem is. Put the disc in, and it plays, no problem. I click upload, and it loads, but has this sort of skip to it, or Sounds funny, not sure how else to describe it.
I had two different buddies that know much more than I 'bout 'puters, and still no luck. Maybe its an itunes issue and not the cd..... I think there are 1300 songs in my "kept" library.
The cd is J-Kwon, hood hop, the song I want to load is tipsy.
Says "this cd is enhanced with mediamax software."

JEREMY79
01-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Got to listen his CD yesterday,very cool!
His CD jacket is nice too!

Some of my favorite boat tunes

sassydog
01-02-2006, 03:22 PM
new Strokes album release on Jan 3, i can't freakin' wait!!!!!!!

SKI*MC
01-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I download a song by the Used and My Chemical Romance, they re-did David Boweys "Under Pressure" song. It was pretty good actually. If you are going to download it, its under the band name "The Used"

SKI*MC
02-04-2006, 12:34 PM
I got the new Slipknot 9.0 Live CD. its good, epecially for them being live. i also got the new Eminem Curtain call, and some burned Tupac CD's. i prefer the metal.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 05:08 PM
Forgot about this thread..:o

Just picked up Shinedown....

SKI*MC
03-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Dream Theaters Octavarium CD is purely AMAZING!!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-30-2006, 05:58 PM
Man, this makes me feel old. (im only 33) I dont buy "new" music at all. I really havent heard or found anything I like enough to buy. I think the "newest" (in terms of age) thing was Gary Hoey's Monster Surf. I bought a few tunes off itunes from that CD. "Hawaii 5-0" was awesome! That guy really smokes on the guitar. :steering:

east tx skier
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
I bought Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker." Had some good tunes on it.

UMP, speaking of tv theme songs, I don't think I've ever heard an original theme song that tops the Sanford & Son theme by Quincy Jones.

east tx skier
03-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Did anybody catch the Sopranos this past Sunday? Anyway, the "Sunday Night Promo" had a really mellow song. So I found it. "In the Waiting Line" by Zero 7.

/loves the HBO

SKI*MC
03-30-2006, 11:02 PM
a good mellow song, i have one by Frou Frou, the song is called let go, from the Garden State Original Sountrack. I really like this song.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Man, this makes me feel old. (im only 33) I dont buy "new" music at all. I really havent heard or found anything I like enough to buy. I think the "newest" (in terms of age) thing was Gary Hoey's Monster Surf. I bought a few tunes off itunes from that CD. "Hawaii 5-0" was awesome! That guy really smokes on the guitar. :steering:
OPEN your ears !!!! There is some good stuff out there.. Get in the game.

Workin' 4 Toys
03-30-2006, 11:20 PM
I need some new Wakeboarding/Ski JAMS for the boat to load up on. Rock, Rap, Country, Metal whatever....
My downfall having so many Cd's/music is I don't listen to the radio much to hear what is new.

03-31-2006, 09:44 AM
I bought Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker." Had some good tunes on it.

UMP, speaking of tv theme songs, I don't think I've ever heard an original theme song that tops the Sanford & Son theme by Quincy Jones.

Great tune Eastie. :toast: Great show too. (Grady was it man! Good goobily goob)I have to stick with Hawaii 5-0 for tv themes, that tune had such an infectious groove to it. The drum intro just hooks you, and the build is terrific. Great dynamics, such a climactic crescendo at the end. You just cant help but get into the tune. The version with surf guitars and horns is the best IMO, check out Brian Setzer's version of it, it cooks! :twocents:

03-31-2006, 09:55 AM
OPEN your ears !!!! There is some good stuff out there.. Get in the game.

WFT, I listen to current pop radio at work all day, so its not like Im not exposed to new music. I will be completely open and honest, I am an elitist ******* musician. Its like being an addict. When you get a little, you only want more, and more and more. Its gotta get better all the time and once you raise the bar, you cant go back down again. I could rant on for days about this, I wont cuz it will bore you. I will give you the short version. :) (this aint like the car thing, I will argue this till the day I die, so dont get me started, please.) Its a musician thing I think. I need my ears to be stimulated as a musician. I listen to music on different levels. when I really need a fix, its gotta be something truly progressive like Kansas, TSO, Styx, any "prog rock" band. Anything that pushes the envelope musically. Most of the stuff on the radio today just dont deliver that, I keep waiting for it to, but it never does. the record industry doesnt allow it anymore, They are only interested in stuff that the KNOW will sell. Flash in the pan stuff. Here today, gone tomarrow. production line, cookie cutter music. It has nothing to do with talent anymore, just marketability. More image than anything musical. If they look good and are sexy, it doesnt matter if they can sing. they can fix that. record compaines care about money more than music. Most of the stuff on the radio now is poor remakes of old 80's tunes. its a sad statement. Nobody has any creativity anymore. Nobody wants to take any risks, they just want money. Trust me, I am hungry for good music and I keep listening to new stuff all teh time to discover it, but so far, no dice. :(

Workin' 4 Toys
03-31-2006, 10:13 AM
I am not in a band, and I don't think into it that much. I don't care what the band looks like. The music I listen to needs to have that certain something, I don't know how to describe it. I could buy a CD for one song that catchs my attention.
Shinedown...45 This does nothing for you?

I drive my friends/family crazy with the variety of genre I listen to. Everything, but it needs "that" certain something. Again, I am not in a band so I would not be able to describe to you what, it just is.

Then there are the "noises" I just can't stand.... For example.. The dixie chicks is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Shedaisy I can tolerate and it sounds the same, not sure why. (by the way, I own neither, just for reference) I have only a few groups/bands I cannot stand.

03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
WFT, im with you on the dixie chicks :toast: I will probably get beaten with a club if I keep ranting on that genre of "music", so I will stop.

NOW, I saw Shinedown on tour with Van Halen and I was not impressed at all. Couldnt get into them. I dont know if you consider them new, but I do like Rob Zombie, and Rammstein. I do like the Darkness in small doses, but to me they are more like a real life "Spinal Tap".

I know what you mean about music having a certain "something." :) I also enjoy many genres of music, but NO country, rap, or raggae. I love classical, ROCK AND ROLL!! and can get into blues and jazz on some level too. I really expand on rock. Pop rock, New wave, Hair bands, Metal, classic rock, I love it all, but I have a hunger for progressive rock. I can go from Mozart to Maiden, Beatles to Beethoven, Van Halen to Vivaldi, I am versatile. I just really get into stuff that has true musical virtuosity, as cheesey and corny as they may be, I can totally get into new wave style synth tunes like "She blinded me with science" and "Mr. Roboto" get passed the cheesienees, listen to whats goin on the song. Lots of virtuosity and writing in there. For me its all about dynamics, each instrument being a pivotal ingredient to the song as a whole, each one has its place and shines. I hate songs that just have 3 chords chugging over a nonstop drum beat. I love songs that build up and break it down, the guitars roar, the synths soar, thunderous drums, crashing cymbals, laser precision piano, vocal harmonies plentiful, all working together not overpowering each other. Thats what I really get into. :D

bcampbe7
03-31-2006, 10:46 AM
WFT, im with you on the dixie chicks :toast: I will probably get beaten with a club if I keep ranting on that genre of "music", so I will stop.

NOW, I saw Shinedown on tour with Van Halen and I was not impressed at all. Couldnt get into them. I dont know if you consider them new, but I do like Rob Zombie, and Rammstein. I do like the Darkness in small doses, but to me they are more like a real life "Spinal Tap".

I know what you mean about music having a certain "something." I also enjoy many genres of music, but NO country, rap, or raggae. I love classical, ROCK AND ROLL!! and can get into blues and jazz on some level too. I really expand on rock. Pop rock, New wave, Hair bands, Metal, classic rock, I love it all, but I have a hunger for progressive rock. I can go from Mozart to Maiden, Beatles to Beethoven, Van Halen to Vivaldi, I am versatile. I just really get into stuff that has true musical virtuosity, as cheesey and corny as they may be, I can totally get into new wave style synth tunes like "She blinded me with science" and "Mr. Roboto" get passed the cheesienees, listen to whats goin on the song. Lots of virtuosity and writing in there. For me its all about dynamics, each instrument being a pivotal ingredient to the song as a whole, each one has its place and shines. I hate songs that just have 3 chords chugging over a nonstop drum beat. I love songs that build up and break it down, the guitars roar, the synths soar, thunderous drums, crashing cymbals, laser precision piano, vocal harmonies plentiful, all working together not overpowering each other. Thats what I really get into.

Admit you like American Idol and get on with it! :D :rolleyes:

I watch American Idol... 8p

03-31-2006, 10:52 AM
Never Beau, I watched it once because the GF was watching it, Its just not my thing. Its like watching well, lets just not go there......

JimN
03-31-2006, 11:23 AM
UMP- what do you mean "the record industry doesn't allow it anymore"? Until it's time for "that new sound", they haven't allowed it for 75 years. It's always a cycle where the record companies break some new band or sound, then they all jump on the bandwagon and pound that into the ground, find a new sound and keep the cycle going. The small labels may have always been the real groundbreakers, but always just a springboard for the true innovators because they never have the money to keep the "next best thing" from jumping to a big label. Sun Records is a great example of this.

Also, you said that it's not like you're not exposed to new music. It may be new for a short time, then they beat it into the ground and play those songs three to five times a day if the statios you listen to are anything like the ones here, although there was a format change at one here and I can listen to it for awhile. Otherwise, I listen to WMSE most of the time, and I don't worry about the format or announcers not being polished professionals. I don't listen to all of their shows, but I can leave it on all day and not usually hear a song duplicated in a week or more.

The tricky part is finding something a lot of people will buy, not great music. Occasionally, a band that writes or records great music will make it but the rest is based on the record company formula for what they think will sell. Don't even get me started on the way record companies screw the bands and artists they sign.

If you like real prog, go to www.wmse.org and look for their prog show. It's the Milwaukee School Of Engineering station and if you're in town the prog show is on Sunday nights. Mark is really into European bands but does play some American music if it's good. His collection is huge and he's always buying more (he was just in Mexico for a Prog Rock convention).

COMMERCIAL RADIO $UCK$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SKI*MC
04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I just got the Dani California off Itunes by the Red Hot Chilli Pepers. It is an awesome song!

SKI*MC
04-06-2006, 10:11 PM
I also got another Dream Theater CD, its the Train of thought album, it is AMAZING!

east tx skier
04-06-2006, 10:17 PM
I am not in a band, and I don't think into it that much. I don't care what the band looks like. The music I listen to needs to have that certain something, I don't know how to describe it. I could buy a CD for one song that catchs my attention.
Shinedown...45 This does nothing for you?

I drive my friends/family crazy with the variety of genre I listen to. Everything, but it needs "that" certain something. Again, I am not in a band so I would not be able to describe to you what, it just is.

Then there are the "noises" I just can't stand.... For example.. The dixie chicks is like nails on a chalkboard for me. Shedaisy I can tolerate and it sounds the same, not sure why. (by the way, I own neither, just for reference) I have only a few groups/bands I cannot stand.

W4T, get Ryan Adams Heartbreaker. Great tune from the movie, "Old School" on there.

SKI*MC
11-08-2006, 10:47 PM
i know you guys must be getting tired of me and always recommending Dream Theater, but seriously it just gets better and better. I bought there live in Budokon DVD and it is awesome. UMP check it out, you will like it!

Workin' 4 Toys
11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
i know you guys must be getting tired of me and always recommending Dream Theater, but seriously it just gets better and better. I bought there live in Budokon DVD and it is awesome. UMP check it out, you will like it!
Alright already.....;) J/K, I'll check it out...

SKI*MC
11-13-2006, 11:07 PM
you won't be sorry!

east tx skier
11-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Check out "Cobrastyle" by the Teddybears.

Workin' 4 Toys
11-14-2006, 08:35 AM
Check out "Cobrastyle" by the Teddybears.
Is this childrens music?

H20skeefreek
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
I just got me some LYNARD SKYNARD! That's new enough for me.

east tx skier
11-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Is this childrens music?

You could call it that, but as I get older, so does my definition of "children." I don't know about the rest of the cd, but I heard that song on Entourage and liked it enough to download. $.99 well spent.

SKI*MC
11-16-2006, 10:29 PM
Anyone heard of Tenacious D. It is Jack Blacks band, they are coming out with a new movie in the up coming weeks. They are a good "funny" band. They sing about stupid things, but make it sound pretty good.

BriEOD
11-16-2006, 10:53 PM
RickD's favortie was Captain and Tenille, Muskrat Love.

BTW, where has ol' Rick been?

east tx skier
11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Anyone heard of Tenacious D. It is Jack Blacks band, they are coming out with a new movie in the up coming weeks. They are a good "funny" band. They sing about stupid things, but make it sound pretty good.

Yeah, I remember their first album, although I never owned it.

Wikipedia on them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenacious_D).

thijs
11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I listen to almost ne thing: Punk, country (oldies are better, and NEVER Shania Twain), blues, new rock, Rap, R&B... You get the picture.

Anyways I have been listening to Tool the last few days. Good tunes.

NOFX has always been good.

SKI*MC
11-18-2006, 12:50 AM
I listen to almost ne thing: Punk, country (oldies are better, and NEVER Shania Twain), blues, new rock, Rap, R&B... You get the picture.

I saw NoFX a couple years back on the Warped Tour. They put on a pretty good show!

ridehype4life
11-18-2006, 01:15 AM
If anyone is looking for some feel-good chilling on the boat music, check out Dispatch and their 'All Points Bulletin' album. Can't really pinpoint the genre, but its kind of Dave Matthews-ish with a little bit of reggae. Really unique sound that NEVER gets old. My favorite band of all time.

SKI*MC
11-26-2006, 02:33 PM

I bought there new album, and saw the movie. I thought the movie was HILLARIOUS! Check it out if you like Jack Black Movies, its not really like is other stuff, its way funnier!

tex
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM

I like Shania's videos!

'02xrider
11-26-2006, 03:31 PM
WFT your tastes in music are similar to mine--all over the place. Check these out-Alabama Thunderpussy, Local H-Whatever happened to PJ Soles?, The Roots, Hed (pe)-Broke, Snoop Dogg-Blue Carpet Treatment, Deltron 3030, Spineshank, Jay-Z-Kingdom Come, Wolfmother, Primer 55-The New Release, Big B-High Class White Trash

Workin' 4 Toys
11-27-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm on it.....;)