PDA

View Full Version : How much does Wal~Mart influence you & your family?

milkmania
12-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Just watched a movie
Wal~Mart The High Cost of Low Price
facts from movie http://www.walmartmovie.com/facts.php

lot of troubling information in that movie, and I look around and see that Wal~Mart has a big impact on my family.
Can of Dust Remover
CD Sleeves
Arm & Hammer carpet freshener
Pens
Paper
External Hard Drive Case
Ronson Propane refiller
CD-R's
DVD-R's
Tape Measure
Nutcracker Cahsew Pieces
Tape Gun & Tape
Scissors
Screwdriver
Prescriptions for daily meds
Dymo Label Maker
MY Chair
MY Desk (Sam's)
4 in 1 Remote Control
Black & Decker 2.4 volt cordless screwdriver
Picture frames
OOPs, multi-purpose remover
Canine Dental Breath Tabs
Microsoft Cordless Mouse
Wastebasket
Headphones
Networking Toolbox
WD-40
Nacho Cheese crackers
Portfolio case
4 Port USB Card
Keys
Keychain/Caribiner
Batteries
Totes
Flag
Camera & Tripod
Kid's backpack/bookbag
Rust-oleum Paint
Soldering Pen & Solder
wearing a T-Shirt that reads "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups" (kinda ironic)

Geez, my desk is a freaking mess....
but everything I mentioned is from Wal~Mart....and within eyesight!

Is anyone else this bad or worse?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 10:17 PM
She shops there very often. In the very near future they are conveting our local one to a Super. Then, I am sure most everything will be from there.

I still want to know what Target has against the Salvation Army.

milkmania
12-15-2005, 10:19 PM
She shops there very often. In the very near future they are conveting our local one to a Super. Then, I am sure most everything will be from there.

Even the movie spoke out about Salvation Army & charities

and when I was watching VegasHomeExpert's vacation video..... looked like a Wal-Mart store exploded on that beach!:eek:

LakePirate
12-15-2005, 10:41 PM
We try to avoid wally world at all costs.
However, there are times where it is you only choice.

Word around the campfire is they are going to get into banking next.

milkmania
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
We try to avoid wally world at all costs.
However, there are times where it is you only choice.

Word around the campfire is they are going to get into banking next.

Can you say Arvest???
They're already there!!!!!!!

The Family Fortune

Wal-Mart operated like a large funnel, sucking in the loot from the application of its genocidal austerity policies, both domestically and internationally. This loot has been siphoned off by the Walton family, which owns more than one-third of the company's stock. On Forbes magazine's 2002 list of America's ten richest people, numbers 5 through 9 are occupied by a member of the Walton family: Sam's widow Helen; son Rob, who is chairman of Wal-Mart; son John, who is chairman of the family's bank, Arvest; son Jim; and daughter Alice. The value of Wal-Mart stock had risen, so that Wal-Mart has the third largest market capitalization of any American company.

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2004/3103waltons.html

peason
12-15-2005, 10:45 PM
We tend to shop at Target as opposed to WalMart. The only thing I buy from Wally world is oil for the boat. They stock it.
Minneapolis is the headquarters for Target so most of thier stores here are kept in tip top shape.

LakePirate
12-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Can you say Arvest???
They're already there!!!!!!!

And there you go...

milkmania
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
And there you go...

see my edit above:o

milkmania
12-15-2005, 10:49 PM
We tend to shop at Target as opposed to WalMart. The only thing I buy from Wally world is oil for the boat. They stock it.
Minneapolis is the headquarters for Target so most of thier stores here are kept in tip top shape.

there is talk about a Target coming into Ft. Smith Ar. soon

lakes Rick
12-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Target is owned by the French.... You like givin your money to those American hating frogs?????

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Target is owned by the French.... You like givin your money to those American hating frogs?????
That's what I heard... (not the frog part) but the french part, I think this Sal. army issues started at the same time as the War. (So I've heard) but then again, do I believe everything I hear or read...

There used to be a French owned store 'round here called Auchan(not sure the spelling) but it was a huge deal to some people, because about after 6 months of it being there, there were hundreds of protestors in there lot everyday. It then became a Target, coincidence?

milkmania
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Wal-Mart buys Brazil stores for expansion

DEC. 14 10:49 P.M. ET Wal-Mart Stores Inc. boosted its presence in Latin America on Wednesday, buying 140 Brazilian hypermarkets, supermarkets and wholesale outlets from a Portuguese conglomerate.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8EGEFH08.htm?campaign_id=apn_home_down&chan=db

ski_king
12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I have not heard that before, so I Googled it.

The Target Corporation is a publicly held U.S. firm which has been based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, since it began as the Dayton Dry Goods Company in 1902. Target is not now, nor has it ever been, foreign-owned.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Similar to what Home Depot has been doing. Buying all the competition.

milkmania
12-15-2005, 11:17 PM
I also found a timeline that didn't indicate any French Ownership:o
http://sites.target.com/site/en/corporate/page.jsp?contentId=PRD03-001087

At a Glance
Getting better all the time: A quick overview of Target’s
history, growth and changes.
Marshall Field & Co. is founded.
George D. Dayton opens Goodfellows in downtown Minneapolis.
Dayton Dry Goods Store is founded; in 1911, it becomes
The Dayton Company.
The Dayton Foundation is created with an endowment of $1
million.
The Dayton Company’s bylaws establish the practice of
giving 5% of pretax profits back to the community.
The Dayton Company enters discount merchandising with
the opening of its first Target Store.
The Dayton Corporation has its first public offering of
common stock.
The bullseye logo is redesigned to its current appearance by
dropping one of the center rings.
With the merger of the Dayton Corporation and The J. L.
Hudson Company, the Dayton Hudson Corporation was
born.
Target introduces uniform “plan-o-grams” to plan the layout
and placement of store interiors and products, creating
consistency throughout the chain.
Target becomes parent company Dayton Hudson
Corporation’s #1 revenue-producer.
The Dayton Hudson Corporation acquires Mervyn’s and
becomes the 7th largest U.S. retailer.
The weekly Target advertising circular is second only to the
Sunday comics as America’s most read newspaper insert.
Target introduces electronic scanning checkout to all its
stores while software processing expedites distribution
center delivery process.
The Dayton Hudson Corporation acquires Marshall Field's
and opens the first Target Greatland®.
Target introduces their store credit card, now known as the
REDcardSM.
The first SuperTarget® store opens in Omaha, NE.
Target launches Club Wedd® bridal registry; a year later,
Lullaby Club® baby gift registry is introduced.
Target launches Target.com, its online presence.
Target introduces its first designer line of products from
world-renowned architect Michael Graves.
The Dayton Hudson Corporation is renamed Target
Corporation.
Marshall Field’s and Mervyn’s are sold.
Target Corporation ranks among the top 20 corporate
contributors in the nation, giving back $2 million each week
to the communities it serves. The company now has more
than 1,300 stores in 47 states, and employs more than
300,000 team members.

and this

http://truthminers.com/hoaxarticles/target.htm

excerpt:

Versions of the message that began coming out in April 2003 also claim that Target is French owned. My best guess is that this was supposed to lend weight to the "anti-vet" stance because, at the time, the French bashing campaign (resulting from their lack of support for the war against Iraq) was in full swing. However, a little research revealed that this is untrue. Target Stores is owned by a company out of Minneapolis that also owns Marshal Fields and Meryvn's. It began in 1902 as the Dayton Dry Goods Company out of Minneapolis. The company name was changed to Dayton's in 1953. The first Target Store opens in 1962. In 1971, the company merges with J.L. Hudson, a Detroit company which owns shopping centers and Mervyn's. They now become the Dayton-Hudson Company. They acquire Marshal Field's in 1990. In 1996, the main focus of their community giving becomes education. In 2000 they officially change their name to Target Corporation. The HQ is still in Minneapolis. The company does have publicly traded stocks, so persons residing in France could certainly own stocks.

Leroy
12-15-2005, 11:21 PM
The target, walmart, and meijer are all almost equal where I live. I actually like Meijer most, but walmart will normally have the most variety.

For bulk Costco is our best deal.

Rick; Where do you get that about Target? Looks like MN headquarters company.

lakes Rick
12-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I heard it on Bill Oreilly radio...

MarkP
12-15-2005, 11:40 PM
I heard it on Bill Oreilly radio...Well then:rolleyes:

Maristar210
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
ZERO. I refuse to shop there. The majority of the items are made overseas. Sad and despicable. Greedy bastards. I feel sorry for my children who have to live with this price based, profit margin oriented -at all costs - mind set that will ruin this country.

Anyone want to open a "Made in the USA" business? I do.......

Steve

PendO
12-15-2005, 11:42 PM
major target corp stockholders (individuals and institutions) (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=TGT)

milkmania
12-15-2005, 11:45 PM
major target corp stockholders (individuals and institutions) (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=TGT)

first thing that immediately popped into my mind....
Robert J. Ulrich?!?!?!?!?!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0880697/

I'm guess a different Robert J. Ulrich?
http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/biography/S-Z/Ulrich-Robert-J-1944.html

PendO
12-15-2005, 11:50 PM
first thing that immediately popped into my mind....
Robert J. Ulrich?!?!?!?!?!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0880697/

do you like the 35million he made on the 750K options ... GD that would be sweet

http://biz.yahoo.com/t/57/1207.html

whitedog
12-16-2005, 01:50 AM
We avoid wally-world as much as possable. Shopko, Target and Kohls as much as possable.

I'm sick of all the china sh!!t on the shelves. Most of it does not last anyways.

I buy made in USA whenever possable. Gladly pay extra for good quality.

erkoehler
12-16-2005, 02:28 AM

No it is not! We got a media release on that at work!

erkoehler
12-16-2005, 02:30 AM

Taget has nothing against the salvation army and has donated MILLIONS of dollars to the salvation army this year. The reason that the bell ringers are not allowed is because target has a NO solicitation policy that they are enforcing.

The reason that they are doing that is to keep the Unions out of the stores. If they allow the salvation army to solicited on the sidewalks or parking lots of the stores, then they fear that the unions will use that to also solicit the employees.

Target supports the salvation army in MANY MANY ways.

Leroy
12-16-2005, 09:12 AM
you know that saying, you can't believe everything you hear.....

mitch
12-16-2005, 09:57 AM

I hate Target w/ a passion! I'm not going to type everything out but I go to Walmart a lot :D

Dan K
12-16-2005, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=Maristar210]ZERO. I refuse to shop there. The majority of the items are made overseas. Sad and despicable. Greedy bastards.

Maristar, I am with you. Never have purchased an item at Walmart. Don't ever intend to despite their expansion around me.

mitch
12-16-2005, 10:04 AM
We avoid wally-world as much as possable. Shopko, Target and Kohls as much as possable.

I'm sick of all the china sh!!t on the shelves. Most of it does not last anyways.

I buy made in USA whenever possable. Gladly pay extra for good quality.

I hear ya, it's tough to avoid the China stuff, it's everywhere. I did but 3 new ice scrapers last week and Walmart, and Believe it or not, made in the USA :)

mitch
12-16-2005, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=Maristar210]ZERO. I refuse to shop there. The majority of the items are made overseas. Sad and despicable. Greedy bastards.

Maristar, I am with you. Never have purchased an item at Walmart. Don't ever intend to despite their expansion around me.

And do tell us.... what stores do you go to that have all this made in USA stuff. I know... to answer... you're going to have to type on that Chinese keyboard, and the data will have to flow thru your Chinese assembled computer, Chinese router and Chinese modem to reach us, but I'm curious :D

Dan K
12-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Not necessarily anti import, just looking for balance. My stance against Walmart is more about driving out other business and not creating any jobs of value. I try to support the small local guys whenever I can.

ntidsl
12-16-2005, 10:49 AM
What does this have to do with MC? Just kiddin...

I dont know what to think anymore about this Walmart stuff...Walmart started somewhere and started small I bet. I dont have the time to research it all but I'd trade shoes with Sam Walton anyday...I think. Think of it from his shoes...

I'd love to take my business where he is...but then again, my business is quality driven and differeniating myself from my competition so its hard to compare.

I hate shopping at walmart thats for sure...I hate shopping at any of those places...but if I need paper plates why would I spend my time wondering where to go...I go to the most convenient place, grab the plates and go eat on them. My time is valuable. Is it a sin if it's Walmart, Target, or Meier, or a unionized grocery store? I just need paper plates!!!!

pilot02
12-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Taget has nothing against the salvation army and has donated MILLIONS of dollars to the salvation army this year. The reason that the bell ringers are not allowed is because target has a NO solicitation policy that they are enforcing.

The reason that they are doing that is to keep the Unions out of the stores. If they allow the salvation army to solicited on the sidewalks or parking lots of the stores, then they fear that the unions will use that to also solicit the employees.

Target supports the salvation army in MANY MANY ways.

erk, tell me you're not! "to keep the unions out?" I understand the no solicitation policy but that's setting yourself up for all kinds of problems with the unions."

In defense of Wal-Mart, yes, walmart does have a higher percentage of employees on medicaid etc., one reason being that walmart hires a tremendous amount of retirees. The driving down of wages for retail workers, I can't dispute because I don't have access to concrete info anymore but I know that while I was a Mgr with the company that we paid fairly competitive wages in the areas I was in.

Bash walmart and any other large company all you want, greed's a factor everywhere and to remain competitive, all companies look for ways to improve profits (for the stockholder) and most get their merchandise from the same/similar vendors.

Ric
12-16-2005, 11:51 AM
with all the walmart haters here and elsewhere, I just cannot figure how the parking lot is always full ?????????? [rolleyes]

Ron Grover
12-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Walmart is somewhere I avoid EVERY chance I get.

Try to support local merchants every chance you get. Open your eyes, support you local merchants. They are the ones supporting your community.

It is your neighbors that take a chance and invest their lives in trying to provide you a service and products that you need. For instance, I have asked my grocer, the owner is at the customer service counter, for something special that he doesn't stock normally. He had it for me waiting at the customer service counter in 2 days. I wonder what woould happen if I ask Wally to do that?

Every time you forsake your local merchant and he has to close up shop due to Wally using a strong arm on vendors due to his muscle the reality is you lose choice.

Think of it in terms of Mastercraft. Do you believe Mastercraft would be as good as they are if it wasn't for CC, Malibu, Tige and all the others?

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 12:03 PM

Now there's a perfectly cromulent source. ;)

Leroy
12-16-2005, 12:13 PM
We are a capitalist society and Walmart, Microsoft, Intel, Boeing, Google, and many more, WON BIG! WOuld rather buy from Walmart than Carrefour, I like seeing 7-11's in Asia, Starbucks in China, etc. It's a global world and these are the consequences. Manufacturing will continue to be under pressure in the US.

I dont know what to think anymore about this Walmart stuff...Walmart started somewhere and started small I bet. I dont have the time to research it all but I'd trade shoes with Sam Walton anyday...I think. Think of it from his shoes...

Sadly, it would be cold and 6 ft under now in Sam's shoes. There is a good show on the History channel about the history of Sam Walton from when he was born. This guy worked hard and took big gambles.

Leroy
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Simpson's fan!

NeilM
12-16-2005, 12:15 PM
for us, it's the store of last resort. I'd rather support local or Canadian, but, on a very few things, it's the only choice.

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 12:21 PM
Simpson's fan!

Yes, a rather imbiggened one.

maristarman
12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
For all you Walmart haters that think your helping America by shopping at Target:

Target allegedly engages in many practices that rival Wal-Mart faces criticism for engaging in; however, because of Target's smaller size in comparison to Wal-Mart, Target often escapes criticism. In addition, many people may overlook Target's practices because of its successful marketing to differentiate itself as being more upscale. Some questionable practices, like Wal-Mart, that Target allegedly engages in include: low hourly wages (lack of living wage), opposition to labor unions, and its contribution to urban sprawl.[16] Liza Featherstone, author of Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle for Workers' Rights at Wal-Mart, stated in an interview, "Aesthetically, we all like Target better, but their wages are in many places low or just as low, and they all represent the Wal-Martization of our economy, which is the exchange of low prices for poor work conditions." [17]

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation)

We haven't shopped at Target because of their refusal to allow the Salvation Army outside their stores. It looks like they are supporting them in other ways, but it looks like this policy has cost the Salvation Army about 8 million dollars a year.

On November 14, 2005, Target Corporation and the Salvation Army announced [14] a partnership called "The Target/Salvation Army Wish List," where online shoppers will be able to donate goods to the organization by buying them directly from Target.com [15] between November 25, 2005 and January 25, 2006. With this partnership, Target has guaranteed a minimum of $1 million of merchandise to the Salvation Army, making up the difference if the customers don't reach this goal, although the Salvation Army claimed that they typically raised $9 million with the red kettle program in front of Target stores. Annette Bauer, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army's northern division, said "It is not going to make up the financial difference...but it is a great opportunity to partner with Target that might lead to other opportunities.".

erkoehler
12-16-2005, 12:37 PM
For all you Walmart haters that think your helping America by shopping at Target:

Target allegedly engages in many practices that rival Wal-Mart faces criticism for engaging in; however, because of Target's smaller size in comparison to Wal-Mart, Target often escapes criticism. In addition, many people may overlook Target's practices because of its successful marketing to differentiate itself as being more upscale. Some questionable practices, like Wal-Mart, that Target allegedly engages in include: low hourly wages (lack of living wage), opposition to labor unions, and its contribution to urban sprawl.[16] Liza Featherstone, author of Selling Women Short: The Landmark Battle for Workers' Rights at Wal-Mart, stated in an interview, "Aesthetically, we all like Target better, but their wages are in many places low or just as low, and they all represent the Wal-Martization of our economy, which is the exchange of low prices for poor work conditions." [17]

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Corporation)

We haven't shopped at Target because of their refusal to allow the Salvation Army outside their stores. It looks like they are supporting them in other ways, but it looks like this policy has cost the Salvation Army about 8 million dollars a year.

On November 14, 2005, Target Corporation and the Salvation Army announced [14] a partnership called "The Target/Salvation Army Wish List," where online shoppers will be able to donate goods to the organization by buying them directly from Target.com [15] between November 25, 2005 and January 25, 2006. With this partnership, Target has guaranteed a minimum of $1 million of merchandise to the Salvation Army, making up the difference if the customers don't reach this goal, although the Salvation Army claimed that they typically raised $9 million with the red kettle program in front of Target stores. Annette Bauer, a spokeswoman for the Salvation Army's northern division, said "It is not going to make up the financial difference...but it is a great opportunity to partner with Target that might lead to other opportunities.".

What is considered a competitive wage? I get paid pretty well..... :confused:

lakes Rick
12-16-2005, 12:43 PM

Eastie, at least Oreilly is willing to ask a straightforward question.. I suppose Dan Rather said not???

As to why the parking lot is always full at Walmart?? Have none of you seen the welfare costs in America?? AND the 20 million illegals that go there?? I do not consider myself a "better than you" kind of person, but walmart is a very good example of why spandex should not be made in womens sizes over 16!!!!!!!!

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 12:53 PM
Eastie, at least Oreilly is willing to ask a straightforward question.. I suppose Dan Rather said not???

Easy there. Leroy got it.

I don't recall mentioning Dan Rather. So I'll just let that blow on by.

According to Target, they are a Publically held, U.S. Corp. Never foreign owned.

Linky (http://target.com/target_group/community_giving/vet_support.jhtml)

Off to watch Colbert on the DVR. It's a big steaming bowl of Truth Chili!

Tom023
12-16-2005, 12:54 PM
How much does Wal~Mart influence you & your family?

Well, it's added 5-10 minutes to my commute. They tore down my driving range and put in a Super Walmart instead, right at the exit I take on the way home. With all the traffic and congestion it's caused, my commute is longer. I've retaliated by shopping elsewhere when possible, but the wife goes in frequently.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 01:06 PM
with all the walmart haters here and elsewhere, I just cannot figure how the parking lot is always full ?????????? [rolleyes]

You said it... There are lines just to get in and out of the parking lots....

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 01:13 PM
What is considered a competitive wage? I get paid pretty well..... :confused:
I'd say a competitive wage might be..oh let's say, somewhere around union scale..;) JK.....

erkoehler
12-16-2005, 01:19 PM
I'd say a competitive wage might be..oh let's say, somewhere around union scale..;) JK.....

Well, if it gets me 2 snowmobiles, a new truck every few years, and a MASTERCRAFT while still paying for COLLEGE....thats competitive enough for me....but I'll always take more :)

I am management though, I believe our cashiers only start at 7 or 7.50. Not bad for H.S. kids.

pilot02
12-16-2005, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=Dan K]

And do tell us.... what stores do you go to that have all this made in USA stuff. I know... to answer... you're going to have to type on that Chinese keyboard, and the data will have to flow thru your Chinese assembled computer, Chinese router and Chinese modem to reach us, but I'm curious :D

Not to mention that mexican made upholstery in that "american made car" or the japanese made ECM.........

pilot02
12-16-2005, 01:24 PM

Hmmm? I'm not necessary either pro/against unions. As with anything, they've done some good things as well as some bad.

Eastern Airlines ring a bell?

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 01:24 PM
start at 7 or 7.50

Whoohoo, where do I get an application, I'd get a raise and I'd just be starting...... Then I could buy myself that vette I want....

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Hmmm? I'm not necessary either pro/against unions. As with anything, they've done some good things as well as some bad.

Eastern Airlines ring a bell?
I was just kidding with him. I knew he was in managment. I don't care to get into that debate, good vs. bad.

I thought we were talking about shopping at Walmart here. They have great prices on MC remote control boats I hear.......;)

Maristar210
12-16-2005, 01:34 PM
Not necessarily anti import, just looking for balance. My stance against Walmart is more about driving out other business and not creating any jobs of value. I try to support the small local guys whenever I can.

You got it Dan. I shop at the locally owned place of business whenever I can. The local Hardware, appliance etc etc

Steve

Maristar210
12-16-2005, 01:37 PM

I don't recall mentioning Dan Rather, but during his career, he probably mentioned the word "not" I suppose.

Steaming bowl is right...... or is it BONG?

S

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Either way, it's a fine bit of satire.

Big hit of bubbly truth. :)

Also, edited the above post with a link to Target's website. At least, according to them, they're not a French held corp.

Ric
12-16-2005, 07:27 PM
[QUOTE=Dan K]

DAMMIT, all this time I thought my computer was assembled in Austin........... Mitch you buzzburner

Leroy
12-16-2005, 08:45 PM
I think you are confused Doug? I think you are talking to Rick.

Originally Posted by lakes Rick

I don't recall mentioning Dan Rather. So I'll just let that blow on by.

According to Target, they are a Publically held, U.S. Corp. Never foreign owned.

Linky (http://target.com/target_group/community_giving/vet_support.jhtml)

Ric
12-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I think you are confused Doug? I think you are talking to Rick.

[/i]
Leroy I think Doug is saying that you picked up on his brand of humor

Leroy
12-16-2005, 09:20 PM
I still think he is talking to Lake Ricks! Ok if not but then I'm confused?

Ric
12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
I still think he is talking to Lake Ricks! Ok if not but then I'm confused?
Yes I believe he is

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Okay, you're both right. I was yankin' Rick's chain a little for citing O'Reilly radio as a reference. It was meant in good fun, and I used a made up word, "cromulent," a Simpsons reference, upon which Leroy picked up. Kudos to you, Leroy. Rick then stood up for O'Reilly and sniped at Dan Rather.

So really, this conversation appears to be between Rick and Dan Rather.

Ric
12-16-2005, 09:58 PM
Okay, you're both right. I was yankin' Rick's chain a little for citing O'Reilly radio as a reference. It was meant in good fun, and I used a made up word, "cromulent," a Simpsons reference, upon which Leroy picked up. Kudos to you, Leroy. Rick then stood up for O'Reilly and sniped at Dan Rather.

Dan Rather owns Wal Mart?

milkmania
12-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes I believe he is

he is what?
confused or talking to lakes rick???

:uglyhamme

Ric
12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
he is what?
confused or talking to lakes rick???

:uglyhamme
no no no milk, he's talking to dan rather

Leroy
12-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Ha, the lawyer has spoken! You're too good Doug!

Okay, you're both right.

PendO
12-17-2005, 01:18 AM
:D Okay, you're both right. I was yankin' Rick's chain a little for citing O'Reilly radio as a reference. It was meant in good fun, and I used a made up word, "cromulent," a Simpsons reference, upon which Leroy picked up. Kudos to you, Leroy. Rick then stood up for O'Reilly and sniped at Dan Rather.

I can't remember, was O'Reilly the one who wrote a chidrens book, or was he the guy who got sued for some phone sex stuff? :D

east tx skier
12-17-2005, 01:57 AM
Yes, and yes. For some interesting reading, you can find the petition and his countersuit (or maybe he filed suit first) on the Smoking Gun. If I recall, the case was settled quickly. Reading the petition, and just assuming, arguendo, that the allegations are true, maybe I've got him pegged all wrong as a radio host. He could be the next Howard Stern. Maybe Sirius will pick him up and he can make some real money. :D

Incidently, prior to having his own show, he was the host of the tabloid tv show, Inside Edition, for six years or so. I think he also worked for ABC for a time.

MarkP
12-17-2005, 12:22 PM
"How much does Wal~Mart influence you & your family?"

Not so much..

lakes Rick
12-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Well, everyone wants to pick on an old guy huh..

Could be wrong.... It was when Oreilly was on his anti-france buying thing... And I have not researched it like others on here, so what can I say!!!

And I bet Oreilly would like our swimsuit thread on here, like most of us do, so I have to think he is still an intelligent man even if he apparently thought with his small head unwisely....

I worked for a window company that was owned by a british corporation that owned ALOT of American companies... Tomkins. When we had our Yearly meetings, profits were stated in pounds and alot of "across the pond" comments were used..

Tomkins also owned Smith and Wesson... I remember when the trigger guard "war" was on and S&W was seen to cave in by most gun owners.. Do you think the british really care about our Constitution??? Heck, they are still PO'd they lost the war of 1776.....

Ric
12-17-2005, 02:00 PM

Could be wrong.... It was when Oreilly was on his anti-france buying thing... And I have not researched it like others on here, so what can I say!!!

And I bet Oreilly would like our swimsuit thread on here, like most of us do, so I have to think he is still an intelligent man even if he apparently thought with his small head unwisely....

I worked for a window company that was owned by a british corportation that owned ALOT of American corporations... Tomkins. When we had our Yearly meetings, profits were stated in pounds and alot of "across the pond" comments were used..

Tomkins also owned Smith and Wesson... I remember when the trigger guard "war" was on and S&W was seen to cave in by most gun owners.. Do you think the british really care about our Constitution??? Heck, they are still PO'd they lost the war of 1776.....
I like oreilly on immigration.
orielly doesn't have a handle on free market economy.
The middle of the road is a good place to get run over
A very entertaining guy on tv for sure. (could be why he has the best ratings?)

Sumbeach
12-17-2005, 04:18 PM
I like picking up chicks in the lingerie department :woohoo:

http://www.satinbedding.com/images/red-cvr.jpg

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 03:35 PM

I worked for a window company that was owned by a british corportation that owned ALOT of American corporations... Tomkins. When we had our Yearly meetings, profits were stated in pounds and alot of "across the pond" comments were used..

Rock on, Rick! :toast:

I personally don't care for him, but that's why I've got 300 other channels. To each his own my friend.

lakes Rick
12-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Rock on, Rick! :toast:

I personally don't care for him, but that's why I've got 300 other channels. To each his own my friend.

Eastie, please tell me "Hilly" is NOT on your list of people to listen to..

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
No. I should've mentioned that it's not really a political thing with me. By and large, I don't much care for any politician or many more of the talking heads that obnoxiously babble about them. I've watched O'Reilly quite a bit in the past and got to the point where I'd had quite enough of him among others. It's just not for me.

Ric
12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
I treated myself to some "air america" on XMLeft last week.
If libs have good arguments, they weren't being spoken on that channel. Garafalo and crew mainly concentrate on seeing how many times they can say cheney is a **** It was like listening to beavis and butthead hate on the bush administration.

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Now that's quite enough, Ric. I can't stand idly by and let you lump two people who have done so much for this country as have Beavis and Butthead in with whatshername. 8p

/uuuhuhuh.

Ric
12-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Now that's quite enough, Ric. I can't stand idly by and let you make such comparisons to people who have done so much for this country as have Beavis and Butthead. 8p

/uuuhuhuh.
hahahaha
I should qualify it to say that the comparison to beavis and butthead wasn't the stupidity, but rather how these folks seemed to get a chuckle out of using "dirty" words to reference the administration.

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Aw shucks, call the Parents' Television Council. :)

Actually, speaking of cromulent sources and choice language, I read an account of a cabinet meeting or something where Bush purportedly said something about the Constitution that, assuming it's true, really hacks me off. I looked for a better source on it and have found none. So I'll not repeat it because it could easily be B.S. as so much of what you read on the internet is.

/yes, I'm going to keep using the word cromulent even though it isn't a word.

Ric
12-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I dont know who is behind it, but there is a full billboard near the astrodome I saw last week.
It's a pic of a flooded new orleans and has a quote from norquist about cutting government spending in half.
Bet they're getting some mileage with all those hardworking taxpayers that are/were housed in that target market area....

Actually, speaking of cromulent sources and choice language, I read an account of a cabinet meeting or something where Bush purportedly said something about the Constitution that, assuming it's true, really hacks me off. I looked for a better source on it and have found none. So I'll not repeat it because it could easily be B.S. as so much of what you read on the internet is.

/yes, I'm going to keep using the word cromulent even though it isn't a word.

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 06:07 PM
That's something different. I'm reading a little more about the guy who wrote this article. As far as I can tell, he's been a journalist for quite some time and has pissed people off on both sides of the isle. Needless to say, the story is not flattering. Whether it is true or not remains to be revealed.

Ryan
12-19-2005, 06:15 PM
All mass merchandisers greatly effect my bonus every year, and of course Wal*Mart is the biggest. They don't squeeze all manufacturers the same. (Officially this is only speculation)

I am greatly disturbed that one would shop at Target and bad-mouth Wal*Mart. It's all the same means. Why didn't people gripe at KMart back in the 70's when they were expanding?

600 new stores were just announced globally on top of the 1,000 that were announced a few weeks ago through new build, or buy-outs of existing over-seas stores. Many of the over-seas counterparts are dramatically different in the way they do business, what is sold (absent censorship), and how they are managed.

I don't watch much SouthPark, but I did see one of the best shows ever on the Wal*Mart subject. Anyone else see that one called Wall-mart? The point was that if it isn't Wal*Mart, it will just be another big box with a different name.

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
The beauty of intentionally bad animation is that that show can hit hot-button issues with less than a week's notice (not that this issue is anything new). Saw the episode. Laughed out loud!

Footin
12-19-2005, 06:23 PM
In the past there have been many retailers that continually lower price in order to grow and gain market share, for example:

Gold Circle
Woolworths
K Mart
Walmart

(does anyone see a trend leading up to Walmart?)

I think they are just too big and too powerfull for there own britches!

Just my .02

MarkP
12-19-2005, 08:13 PM

/yes, I'm going to keep using the word cromulent even though it isn't a word. Ha, ha ha, ha!!! He said "Cromulent"!!!

Sure its a word, Now..

Expression used to legitimize another expression of dubious existence. Used in the ironic sense in that it defends the questionable use of an illigitimate or slang word with another made-up expression. The intent of the phrase is generally used in conjunction with insults to high talkers, english majors and otherwise insufferable people who feel the need to correct others. Often accompanied by a punch to the stomach.

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 09:51 PM
Is that from Wikipedia? I tells ya, it's a perfectly cromulent Simpsons reference used to legitimize the expression "embiggens." ;)

MarkP
12-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Is that from Wikipedia? I tells ya, it's a perfectly cromulent Simpsons reference used to legitimize the expression "embiggens." ;)You got it, sort of..

Urban Dictionary.. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Cromulent
I always have to look $hit up when I talk to you..

east tx skier
12-19-2005, 10:25 PM
Ha! I'm urban. :cool:

richardsoncd
12-19-2005, 10:56 PM
you gotta buy from the mom and pops store whenever possible, what is the $0.50 savings really gonna do? Big business at it's worst. I had to study Wal-Mart for my Ethics class while getting my MBA, sh#tty practices that only a huge company could get away with. But I am a bit of a hippocrit because I use Sam's Club a lot and I think it is owned by Wal-Mart, if we had another "warehouse" wholesaler in my small town I would use it.

east tx skier
12-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Yes, Sam is (was) Sam Walden. Sam's is Walmart with membership dues.

lakes Rick
12-20-2005, 02:41 PM
I treated myself to some "air america" on XMLeft last week.
If libs have good arguments, they weren't being spoken on that channel. Garafalo and crew mainly concentrate on seeing how many times they can say cheney is a **** It was like listening to beavis and butthead hate on the bush administration.

"OReilly" has said this many times.. The far left cannot say anything without becoming personal and indictive.. Why has/is all far left radio failed/failing???

I too get tired of Orielly, Sean Hannity, and the local guy, Lars Larson.... Out of all of them Oreilly seems to be the freshest of the bunch... Dictatorial people like Rush Limbaugh ( " Just do what I tell you to") are proof of all the sheep in this country... BAHHHHHH

Driving for a living ( sales) I get more radio time in listening talk radio as music gets REAl OLD all day long..

Ryan
12-20-2005, 03:08 PM
As much as I gain financially from my job, or from shopping at Wal*Mart, I do think they have huge problems. I believe employees should be paid well and if full-time that health care should be offered -mainly to keep turn-over costs down and give employees the peace of mind to help them work efficiently and keep it off of the gov't. Ideally this is also done out of genuine concern for the welfare and happiness of your employees - who are likely to work harder as a result. And, those with disabilities have appropriate accomidation if they can sufficiently do the job.

Wal*Mart HQ isn't some monster. It's made up of people that get ideas and carry them through - good and bad (some really bad, see attachment from BrandWeek's best and worste of 2005). Never right down your really bad ideas...Why didn't Susan Chambers learn that in B-School? Those same people won't likely work for Wal*Mart forever and they'll take their attitudes and ideas into the rest of corporate American, whether it's their own character or the Wal*Mart culturethat's engrained in them. Look out if this chick becomes the EVP at your Co.

There are a lot of really bad companies out there with folks that have the same ethics as those at Wal*Mart. I suppose since Wal*Mart has so many more touch-points than Du-Pont or other company that they become the target. And, the sinister scew these kinds of memos have shows there is a dark side.

I swear, if they invest money into a more pleasant shopping experiance they would increase their PR/brand equity like crazy (and maybe even sales); simply by getting rid of those dang '4-ways' (the pallets in the aisles) so that more than one cart can get by. That consumer traffic is the main reason I shop at other stores. Then again, analysts are criticizing their efforts to go after Target consumers.

I can only speculate on the demographics of MC owners, but I bet most of us fall into the Costco/Sam's Bracket rather than Wal*Mart anyway. Costco is my Wal*Mart in a sense, but they treat their employees quite well and I have fun shopping there - in defense of Wal*Mart, I haven't seen anyone in a wheelchair pushing carts around the parking lot at Costco let alone a card checker/greeter.

In the end businesses are obligated to share holders first, consumers and community second (ie GM). You can't be nice to anyone if you're not in business any more.

- I'm done. The length of this explains my rather low post count. And I bet only two of you read this whole discourse. I left in Blockbuster for those of you that got bored half way through.
http://www.brandweek.com/brandweek/images/Best_and_Worst.pdf

Ric
12-20-2005, 03:27 PM
I'm not here to defend limbaugh (or walmart), they have plenty of resources for that. buuuuut
Limbaugh gets kudos from me for starting something long before oreily was working the tabloids.
limbaugh is proof positive that nobody is perfect, but I must admit that I'd have never known about baseline budgeting, or a few other things he's exposed. In addition to that, I know of no national personality other than limbaugh with the grasp of economics and the ability to express them to a large audience(this was especially true ten years ago).
bbaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

"OReilly" has said this many times.. The far left cannot say anything without becoming personal and indictive.. Why has/is all far left radio failed/failing???

I too get tired of Orielly, Sean Hannity, and the local guy, Lars Larson.... Out of all of them Oreilly seems to be the freshest of the bunch... Dictatorial people like Rush Limbaugh ( " Just do what I tell you to") are proof of all the sheep in this country... BAHHHHHH

Driving for a living ( sales) I get more radio time in listening talk radio as music gets REAl OLD all day long..

east tx skier
12-20-2005, 04:09 PM
"OReilly" has said this many times.. The far left cannot say anything without becoming personal and [vindictive].

I agree with your assessment of sheep regardless of the shepherd. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Ann Coulter is the festering sore for the right with regard to all things personal and vindictive.

For me, the extremes on either side are like fingernails on a chalk board. There are plenty of reasonable individuals in the middle or somewhat near thereto. I'm not one to wholly discount reasoned views out of hand. And all that about being middle of the road is a good place to get run over is crap. I don't know too many people that fit into cookie cutter ideological camps. I don't think I've ever met anyone with whom I've agreed 100% on all issues all the time. Not to mention that if you stand on the yellow line, you're probably less likely to get hit than if you stand in one lane or the other. Just sayin'.

I remain politically unaffiliated.

As for talk radio, 105.3 out of Dallas does really well. Most of it's pretty mindless, but I haven't tired of it after several years. They don't ignore politics altogether, but they don't tend to harp on it either.

bobk
12-20-2005, 06:45 PM
It's qouted as saying only about 1/2 of the employees have benefits through Wal-mart. That makes since because many employees would fall under someone elses health care (Parents, Husband, Wife) or work less than a full time position. Many of the workers at our local Wal-mart are young and still in our just out of school, or older semi retired workers that can't work more hours or would lose their pensions.

Ric
12-20-2005, 09:53 PM
I agree with your assessment of sheep regardless of the shepherd. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Ann Coulter is the festering sore for the right with regard to all things personal and vindictive.

For me, the extremes on either side are like fingernails on a chalk board. There are plenty of reasonable individuals in the middle or somewhat near thereto. I'm not one to wholly discount reasoned views out of hand. And all that about being middle of the road is a good place to get run over is crap. I don't know too many people that fit into cookie cutter ideological camps. I don't think I've ever met anyone with whom I've agreed 100% on all issues all the time. Not to mention that if you stand on the yellow line, you're probably less likely to get hit than if you stand in one lane or the other. Just sayin'.

I remain politically unaffiliated.

As for talk radio, 105.3 out of Dallas does really well. Most of it's pretty mindless, but I haven't tired of it after several years. They don't ignore politics altogether, but they don't tend to harp on it either.
I couldn't live in Jerry Falwell's shoes, nor Bab's or Bill's for that matter... Extremism is for others, not me.
But when I talk about middle of the roaders I must say that few I've seen or met who claim to be in the "middle", actually are and most who claim to be in the middle are closet idealists and think of themselves as intellectual. Folks that argue just for the sake of arguing are irritating as well.
I say you know what you believe in and you don't have to impose it on others as long as those don't impose theirs on you.

richardsoncd
12-20-2005, 11:25 PM

I can't say much about those other guys, but Sean Hannity is a good guy, I grew up next door to him and used to shoot hoops with him when I got out of school (he was on an Atlanta talk show at the time) and throw the baseball, etc. really nice guy that gave me a lot of good advice and actually made me less closed minded (i.e. dumb southern white kid in an upper middle class community), he moved to CNN about the same time I graduated high school. Remember, just like Springer, if they didn't piss people off they probably wouldn't keep there jobs very long. IMHO

east tx skier
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I couldn't live in Jerry Falwell's shoes, nor Bab's or Bill's for that matter... Extremism is for others, not me.
But when I talk about middle of the roaders I must say that few I've seen or met who claim to be in the "middle", actually are and most who claim to be in the middle are closet idealists and think of themselves as intellectual. Folks that argue just for the sake of arguing are irritating as well.
I say you know what you believe in and you don't have to impose it on others as long as those don't impose theirs on you.

That's probably correct. Wait, I mean that's obviously correct. It's not like I'm precisely 50/50 left/right on my beliefs. When I call my self a centrist or a middle of the roader, my intent, I suppose, is to distinguish myself from the left, the right, the democrats, the republicans, the libertarians, Ross Perot, Wal*Mart, the fundies, the nutjobs, the imbeciles and everyone else for that matter.

I think it's apparent that I need to just start my own party somewhere on the z axis. My platform is water skiing and drinking beer. The only lines I will be tapping will be connected to the keg. Maybe I can get Brad to be my party communications director. Who wants to sign up for that email list? :steering:

Ric
12-21-2005, 06:43 PM
Hey I was wondering (as i often do)
if walmarts wages are truly low compared to others and they started to pay more, would that make their employees be smarter than the ones I've encountered so far???

rodltg2
12-21-2005, 06:50 PM
wal mart ownes 22 corporate jets. thats cool .. all i need is just 1.

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Hey I was wondering (as i often do)
if walmarts wages are truly low compared to others and they started to pay more, would that make their employees be smarter than the ones I've encountered so far???

While that has been my experience at time, I have to note that I had a conversation with an employee who worked in the paint department at WalMart here that caused me to believe that he was destined for greatness.

Ric
12-22-2005, 12:03 PM
standing in the plumbing department at the local homedepot last week and saw the helpful staff member was the old owner of the local mom and pop hardware store when I was a kid :(

Ric
12-22-2005, 12:06 PM
While that has been my experience at time, I have to note that I had a conversation with an employee who worked in the paint department at WalMart here that caused me to believe that he was destined for greatness.
funny thing about paint department conversations:
I had a woman approach me while waiting at the lowes paint counter and went into a long low town rant about the apocalypse. Something about a twister and a ford truck and her husband and the future......... I thought my buddies were playing a joke on me as I started to look around...
Nope, I finally had to tell her to get lost in a Ric sorta way,

THEN all the other people in line spoke up & said thanks, you told her off but we didnt want to.

Maybe she too was destined for greatness?

east tx skier
12-22-2005, 12:10 PM
If happiness is a warm gun, perhaps greatness, in this instance, is a swift kick to the a$$.

Leroy
12-22-2005, 12:12 PM
I think there are two problems;

1. The US is not creating enough high paying jobs. Hence, when many people loose their jobs they have to go for something much lower. I've seen a few fellow workers become clerks at local stores. That is painful.

2. The average worker (not the displaced worker) at Walmart would have been working at the 5&10 or whatever small store service job, making the same money and they never had benefits there either. For some reason we think because Walmart is so large it should do something that stores like this did not do in the past. History repeats itself, how do we end up with $40/hour car assembly workers with great benefits? That is breaking the remaining the remaining two US automotive companies. Every business has a sustainable salary and benefits they can pay their workers.