PDA

View Full Version : How long?

richardsoncd
12-15-2005, 07:15 PM
How long can I go without stabalizing the fuel. I did not winterize the boat this year because I wanted to use it year round. Unfortunately I haven't been in it in about 4 weeks, I hope to drop her in the water this weekend, but if I can't should I take her and fill her up and add stabalizer? What about the fuel already in the engine. Thanks.

Hoosier Bob
12-15-2005, 07:57 PM
STA-BIL states 60 days to varnish stage. That is the worst case. I have read clumping of the molecules happens after 10-20 days. A brisk ride on a trailer should cure that. Probably not a bad idea to stablize even if short 3-4 week layoffs are expected. Carb/fuelie may also make a difference. My dirtbike was full of kerosene after 3 months!
Good luck,
See yah

Workin' 4 Toys
12-15-2005, 10:44 PM
6 weeks it's stale. SeaFoam or stabil it. Run it at least long enough to get the fuel/mix through the system. If not longer. I don't think filling it with more fuel will help. IMO.

bigmac
12-15-2005, 10:59 PM
How long can I go without stabalizing the fuel. I did not winterize the boat this year because I wanted to use it year round. Unfortunately I haven't been in it in about 4 weeks, I hope to drop her in the water this weekend, but if I can't should I take her and fill her up and add stabalizer? What about the fuel already in the engine. Thanks.

Stabilizing the fuel in the tank only is better than nothing, but I'd be more worried about the unstabilized fuel in fuel system itself. That's where varnish is going to cause you the most trouble. I'd stabilize the tank now and hope that you do get a chance to run it before you put it up for the season.

richardsoncd
12-15-2005, 11:43 PM
I will stabil it tommorrow and run it out this weekend, then refill and add more stabil. Is that the best thing to do.

Hoosier Bob
12-15-2005, 11:48 PM
If the boat is already in the water take 5 gallons of fresh gas and mix in enough sta-bil to cover what's in the tank. Poor it in and roll. If in the garage do the same thing and but jump around in the back to mix it up then go out and run it. I guess the answer is yes, keep it in there and you should never have to worry about varnish.
More often than not carb/fuel delivery problems can be avoided by using it.
I will stabil it tommorrow and run it out this weekend, then refill and add more stabil. Is that the best thing to do.

east tx skier
12-16-2005, 11:56 AM
6 weeks it's stale. SeaFoam or stabil it. Run it at least long enough to get the fuel/mix through the system. If not longer. I don't think filling it with more fuel will help. IMO.

This is what I'd do. I've always read to stabilize if it's going to be more than two weeks without running all the gas through the system. For me, that means stabilize just about every tank. But at the very least, I'll stabilize on the last day before the last run.

Sea foam it.

Storm861triple
12-16-2005, 02:42 PM
I disagree. I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my boat. It's sits for 6 months, all winter. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my snowmobiles. They sit for 6 months, all summer. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

If my toys were going to be sitting for MORE than 6 months, I'd consider adding an addative or draining the tank and leaving the cap off so it could breath and stay dry.

Filling the tank w/more fuel won't help the evaporation of the "light ends" (what makes gas "go bad"), but it will help prevent condensation -> water formation in the tank, by reducing the amount of surface area insid the tank that water can condense on.

Final answer.... 4 weeks? Absolutely zero need to worry about that or add anything to your tank. Start it, warm it, run it.

-Tom

Workin' 4 Toys
12-16-2005, 03:39 PM
I disagree. I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my boat. It's sits for 6 months, all winter. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

I never run Sta-bil -or any addative- in my snowmobiles. They sit for 6 months, all summer. Never had even the slightest fuel issue.

If my toys were going to be sitting for MORE than 6 months, I'd consider adding an addative or draining the tank and leaving the cap off so it could breath and stay dry.

Filling the tank w/more fuel won't help the evaporation of the "light ends" (what makes gas "go bad"), but it will help prevent condensation -> water formation in the tank, by reducing the amount of surface area insid the tank that water can condense on.

Final answer.... 4 weeks? Absolutely zero need to worry about that or add anything to your tank. Start it, warm it, run it.

-Tom
There is something VERY apparent here. You have ALOT better fuel than we have here. I'd be lucky to get my Honda lawnmower to run on untreated fuel after 4 weeks of sitting.

pilot02
12-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Kinda related question.....
How long does fuel sit after being produced I wonder (considering reserves and all)??

canadianskier
12-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I tend to agree with Storm861triple, I have never put any sta-bil or additive in my other boats, just fill her up with 94octane in April and run it hard, never had a problem. That being said i did get a free bottle of sta-bil from work and put it in the tank in Nov. just because. Maybe it`s because it`s may first MC and in the back of my mind I want to make sure I have no problems. One other thought, car dealers have cars sitting on there lots for over a year and no puts sta-bil in them.
By the way fuel is area specific, different additives and detergents in the fuel from west coast to east coast, or allways hot/warm areas compared to mainly cold/cool areas.

richardsoncd
12-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Just took her to the lake, got some great pics that I will post, added some stabil in her, with a topped of tank and ran her around for an hour or two.

Workin' 4 Toys
12-18-2005, 10:11 PM
Just took her to the lake, got some great pics that I will post, added some stabil in her, with a topped of tank and ran her around for an hour or two.
Good decision.....:toast:

Storm861triple
12-27-2005, 11:16 AM
...One other thought, car dealers have cars sitting on there lots for over a year and no puts sta-bil in them.
By the way fuel is area specific, different additives and detergents in the fuel from west coast to east coast, or allways hot/warm areas compared to mainly cold/cool areas.
Exactly. Same with boats and boat dealers. I do agree that it could be area specific for sure, though. On the other hand, I never had issues when I lived in New England though either, and there are car dealers w/cars on the lots all over the country. The cars all seem to start and run fine, once they finally sell...