Take them to that restaurant on "the Greatest Christmas story ever told"

DECK DA HARRS WID BARRS OF HAAAARY--

FA RA RA RA RAH -- RA RA RAH RAHHHHHHHH

east tx skier
12-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Don't let the Bumpus hounds in!

Maristar210
12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
That all depends upon who are your guests? But for the average family a 15# turkey will feed ten to twelve people so you'll need four turkey's. Where your gonna cook four turkeys is another issue. The sides 1/4 pound each side per person usually averages out well unless you have some sort of specialty that everone likes then double or triple that.

Most importantly when calculating out the beer you can never have enough so just take what your gonna drink times 40 and you'll have plenty of beer before, during and long after Christmas.

I just had a Christmas party for some friends, we had 28 couples, oddly more males than femeales but still couples :eek: and I have about six 18 packs of beer left. I am trying to eliminate this awful mis-calculation almost nightly, If you know what I mean. :D

Good luck and post how is turns out, who gets hammered and passes out etc. etc.

Steve

jrhollow
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
Just remember if there is enough booze no one will remember how the food turned out or if you were short on anything.

roddydog
12-12-2005, 01:39 PM
Crack one as soon as you get up, it'll help the feeling of being totally out of control. ;)

Mag_Red
12-12-2005, 01:54 PM
I'll come over and help if you want :D

maristarman
12-12-2005, 02:32 PM
If you want your wife to have a Merry Christmas (or any kind of Christmas at all) go to Boston Market or your major chain grocery store and buy the christmas dinner.

Your wife will be a whole lot happier just having to "heat and serve" than spending the whole day busting her butt in the kitchen.

Remember,

"When momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy."

WARNING: If you are going to bring up the possibility of catering this, make sure you phrase it in a "Honey, I want you to enjoy the day, too, and I'm sure if your stuck in the kitchen all day that wouldn't be much fun." sort of way, not in a "Honey, are you sure you can cook for 40 people?" sort of way.

Make sure it looks like your thinking of her happiness, and not doubting her culinary skills.

djhuff
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
We've done this before, but you must be ultra prepared. make as many sides as you can before hand so that they can be re heated, this way you can re heat 2-3 dishes per oven. On the meat, get a big spiral cut smoked ham (can be served cold, less to heat) and if you do Turkeys, oven one and fry one. Also, find out who is coming that lives close and have them use their oven too, or find a neighbor who is going out of town and ask to borrow theirs.

On the beer, you can buy too much, it keeps for a few months before it goes bad. Same with liquor (but it keeps longer).

maristarman
12-12-2005, 02:56 PM
I just had a Christmas party for some friends, we had 28 couples, oddly more males than femeales but still couples :eek: and I have about six 18 packs of beer left.

Steve

Sounds like you needed more Merlot, and less beer.

:purplaugh

RexDog1
12-12-2005, 02:57 PM
Mag

Thank you Very Much …But I Do Not Have “Mag” Kitchen Insurance

If You Would Like A Southern California Christmas, You Can Come Eat And Drink :friday:

But Sorry, You MUST Stay Out Of The Kitchen :eek:

Ric
12-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Mag I looked at one of my glass dishes this weekend and sure enough,there it is "DO NOT USE ON STOVETOP" :friday:

hleepert
12-12-2005, 03:03 PM
We had about 70 including kids and grandkids for Thankgiving and we Deep fried two birds 10 - 11#, grilled one and baked one. The oven and grilled birds were 3 -4 # bigger. Good idea as stated above to pre-make as many sides as possible. In our TG tradition the host family is reposibel for turkey, potatos and stuffing. The rest of the family brindgs sides and deserts. We always end up with way more than needed.

Maristar210
12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Sounds like you needed more Merlot, and less beer.

:purplaugh

Merlot, yup or some Schmidt's Gay (SNL)

Steve

phecksel
12-13-2005, 12:17 PM
NEVER AGAIN!

Mom accidentally dumped a smelly candle thingy all over the BRAND NEW couch.
BIL (SOBER!) was extremely obnoxious, and insulting everybody, and verbally abusive to his wife and his mom
My nephew started going off on mom about how she embarrassed him and didn't want to be seen with her.

M-Funf
12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Well We Are Having 40+ For Christmas Diner :eek: We Need Help

How Many Turkeys, Side Dishes, Beer?

Rex, It sort of depends on how you're serving as well. Since it's 40+ people, I'm guessing it's buffet, not seated. Some people will just take small bits and snack all night, while others will fill up a plate and sit down to eat somewhere. Others won't eat anything at all and just drink all your beer :friday:

The last time we did a party of that size was my birthday, and we had food made for us (BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, beans, potato salad, salad, etc.) from a local place that specializes in this, and then just put it in the oven to keep it hot. I know that's not very "Christmasy", and it was a bit more expensive, but allowed my wife and I to socialize rather than work in the kitchen...just something to keep in mind...

Good Luck!

Dan K
12-13-2005, 01:48 PM
If you are doing four turkeys, which sounds about right, I would cook a few of them ahead and have them carved and ready to reheat. Reheat in oven as the final turkey is resting and being carved. Make sure you cover the turkey being reheated and add some water to the pan so that it is steamed more than dry heated. There is a 24 hour salad you make the day before and can also do thesame with Jello and bean caseroul. Also consider doing a side dish in a crock pot to save stove space.

quincyfirefighter
12-13-2005, 11:37 PM
Sorry Mag, but Emeril Lagassi you are not :eek: But I bet you would be a great bar back :rolleyes: Sorry man but some of us are destined to be behind the bar :headbang:

RexDog1
12-21-2005, 11:44 AM
I need to thank you all for all your Help
I think we have it down now

Appetizers… Store Bought
Turkey #1 by My Mom
Turkey #2 Me Deep Fry
Ham…. by a #1 Cousin
Prime Rib…. My Wife
Potatoes …Sister
Mixed Vegetables…#2 Cousin
Greens Beans…Family Friend
Gravy/Dressing… My Mom
Cranberries…. Mother-In-law
Vegetable Tray…. Mother-In-law
Green Salad…. Family Friend
Biscuits…. The Wife
Mixed Fruit…. Family Friend
Dessert.. Store Bought Cheesecake, Pies…. and so on.

Now the hard thing the Beer??? :toast: We will have 54 people
Well I think we go for 8 to 10 cases hoping for leftovers :cool:
14 bottles of wine 6 red 8 white 5 bottles of Champaign
And I need some Wild turkey

This will be a sit-down dinner I think the timing will be the hard part

I do need to Thank You All for the help

Have a good Holiday to all and all a good night
:friday: