PDA

View Full Version : Motor Oil in Trans.

83MC
12-11-2005, 12:48 PM
I have an 1983 MC. Has anyone ever used Motor oil instad of trans. fluid? If so, what weight are you using?

88 PS190
12-11-2005, 01:09 PM
There are specs for using a single weight oil listed in some of the documents that came w/ our boats. I dunno if i'd do it myself, though its said to make the trans operate more quietly. I don't have the book here to look at myself.

What's your issue w/ using ATF? The ATF is recommended for operating at high temps, and for stuff like fast accel. Which we do, i think the motor oil specs are listed more for cruisers and the like.

bigmac
12-11-2005, 03:02 PM
I have an 1983 MC. Has anyone ever used Motor oil instad of trans. fluid? If so, what weight are you using?I don't know about the older trannies, but in about 2003, ZF Hurth and MasterCraft started calling for 15W40 engine oil in the transmission instead of ATF. This was reportedly done because of some complaints about transmission noise.

east tx skier
12-11-2005, 07:17 PM
I think the 15W40 is just for the vdrives and powerslot trannies though. As far as I know, the 1:1 straight drive still requires Dexron III.

bigmac
12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
I think the 15W40 is just for the vdrives and powerslot trannies though. As far as I know, the 1:1 straight drive still requires Dexron III.You're right. In the 2004 and 2005 owner's manual, the 1:1's still call for Dexron I, II, or III or Mercon.

ted shred
12-11-2005, 11:35 PM
I have an 83 that I've had since new.I have always used ATF and have had no problems. If my memory serves me I think I could have also used SAE40W in the tranny.

Thrall
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I have an 83 that I've had since new.I have always used ATF and have had no problems. If my memory serves me I think I could have also used SAE40W in the tranny.

There's your answer. 23 years on the same trans. I'd stick w/ what works.

88 PS190
01-12-2006, 07:41 PM
They both work. The single weight is supposedly going to run quieter. ATF is a synthetic and is likely better if you have any water contamination.

Personally Trans fluid... transmission. Perfect.

I'll try to contact one of my father's patients, he's a factory trained BW velvet drive tech. Of course he says that velvet drives have tons of things the factory did wrong w/ them, and then figured out after they were sold. But the factory has determined that their gap settings and tolerences were not what they should have been.

This guy's transmission rebuilds are incredibly smooth, quiet and solid. I think he knows what's up.

milkmania
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
They both work. The single weight is supposedly going to run quieter. ATF is a synthetic and is likely better if you have any water contamination.

Personally Trans fluid... transmission. Perfect.

I'll try to contact one of my father's patients, he's a factory trained BW velvet drive tech. Of course he says that velvet drives have tons of things the factory did wrong w/ them, and then figured out after they were sold. But the factory has determined that their gap settings and tolerences were not what they should have been.

This guy's transmission rebuilds are incredibly smooth, quiet and solid. I think he knows what's up.

I don't need it done myself, but you might want to ask this guy if he'd receive, rebuild, and ship transmissions.... there might be some potential work for him here.

just saying.......

Workin' 4 Toys
01-12-2006, 10:55 PM
I don't know about the older trannies, but in about 2003, ZF Hurth and MasterCraft started calling for 15W40 engine oil in the transmission instead of ATF. This was reportedly done because of some complaints about transmission noise.
How about AMSOIL, its quiet....;)
Seriously. I really don't get why it would be quieter.
As a side note, my snowblower calls for motor oil in the transmission, and according to the manufacturer does not need to be changed. Not that it's relative to this, beside the fact it was the first time I was ever told that.

Does it have anything to with what happens if it gets water mixed in it?