PDA

View Full Version : Nashville, TN

83MC
12-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Any MC owners in the Nashville, TN area?

jayderwin1
12-19-2005, 10:57 PM
83 MC i am in the nashville area, i live in antioch ski on Priest and stones river.

bcampbe7
12-20-2005, 09:43 AM
I ski on Tims Ford, just South of Nashville.

BIGBADBLUE
12-20-2005, 10:31 AM
I live in Franklin and ski at Center Hill

nashvillematt
12-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I live in Berryhill and wakeboard on the Cumberland, C-Hill, Percy, and my home lake of Tims Ford.

TonyB
12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
I live in Huntsville and Ski on Wheeler Lake and with the Space Capital Water Ski Club at Brahams Spring Lake (owned by city of Huntsville) but would like to trailer up to Tims Ford sometime.

I was told there was a slalom course on Tims Ford. True?

If so, where is it located? Our ski club has talked about renting cabins at the Park and skiing on the course during the day. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

bcampbe7
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
There is one in the Lost Creek which is pretty close to the cabins.
There is a private one in Pleasant Grove area also.

TN Skier
12-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Just located this post...

...We are over in the Gallatin area...

mikeg205
12-30-2013, 06:08 PM
Just located this post...

...We are over in the Gallatin area...

talk about resurrecting a thread... :)

TN Skier
12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
When it's cold outside and you're off work there is no telling what you'll search on here to pass the day away...had contractors in the house all day...in a holding pattern for a day or two on the next boat tinkering/garage day!....

jgraham37128
12-30-2013, 09:36 PM
I'm here in Murfreesboro. Keep my boat at Hidden Harbor on Center Hill Lake.

I do go to Tim's Ford a couple of times a year too.

jgraham37128
12-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I live in Huntsville and Ski on Wheeler Lake and with the Space Capital Water Ski Club at Brahams Spring Lake (owned by city of Huntsville) but would like to trailer up to Tims Ford sometime.

If so, where is it located? Our ski club has talked about renting cabins at the Park and skiing on the course during the day. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

There's one on Center-Hill lake it's in the cove West of Hidden Harbor Marina!

jgraham37128
12-30-2013, 09:49 PM

Thanks.

Rent a house from Sam Hatfield Realty. They have many homes with a boat lift and most all of them will have their own dock. It will be a lot nicer than the cabin rentals.

GKinTN
12-31-2013, 03:06 PM
I'm right in downtown Nashville and bought my '91 Prostar 190 about 2 months ago, traveling to Iowa and back to find a nice one.

My 190 is white/black/white with the base 351w @ 665hrs, and was always garage kept but still had some details to be addressed. For the 1st month I kept it at the house and did a few restore projects, such as re-riveting the rub rail, replacing all the staples in the seats and the wood in the back seat (vinyl still all original), changing out the trans hoses (two cracked fittings), and replacing a rusted out steering L bracket with a nice CNC aluminum one made by MI_Corey here on this forum. That said, I'm now keeping it stored out near Center Hill lake and I can't wait for the warm weather!

TN Skier,
We'll have to compare boats some time! Seems we bought almost the same boat around the same time.

GK

TN Skier
12-31-2013, 04:49 PM
GK -

I think I read about you rub rail redo...that on my list, may have to pick your brain sometime on that one. I am redoing the wood on the back seat now and adding a depth sounder in the dash...I'm seeing some rubbing compound and maybe some light sanding; just to get a good shine (pre season)...In the garage as we speak...

Sounds like our our boats are at least related. ..1 owner 664 hours...351w...White with black and a tealish accent...I am on the hunt for a trailer through IF you happen across one...I really like Center Hill; our boat came off of Tims Ford in October of this year...hope to make it to both this season. We live about 10 minutes away from Old Hickory Douglas Bend ramp area.

GKinTN
12-31-2013, 05:20 PM
Yep, sounds like the same color scheme though mine has a redish/pink accent tape instead of teal. My interior is black, dark grey, and light grey. My trailer is black near perfect shape but no brakes ever though I might add them. Sounds like I might know the boat you picked up. One owner who was a commercial pilot? Some brackish water use but a very attentive owner who kept it up well and had just replaced the risers? Seems it had a galvanized trailer but the owner mentioned it was probably best to replace due to corrosion... Sound like the boat perhaps? I strongly considered that boat and I like one owner vehicles.

I was going to reattach my rub rail with stainless screws/nuts but in the end went cheap and simply redid it all with aluminum rivets. I did run a bead of silicone under the rail and it now feels rock solid. Took me two afternoons.

For the back seat I got some pressure treated 1/4" thick fir strips from Home Depot. I had to cut some down width wise to fit, and others weren't as wide as stock but it worked out fine. Gorilla glue and weights to clamp the strips helped. I also replaced all the thicker boards up top and down the front edges with pressure treated wood. The only wood I didn't redo was behind the foam half way down but it looked ok. I pulled all the vinyl and beading trim, then re-stapled it all with Marine rated (dang expensive) staples. My vinyl was a little shrunk behind the bench and didn't want to stretch all the way to the bottom wood strips. Seems a long time ago perhaps the wood started to go bad, the staples rusted and pulled out, then the vinyl shrunk even more when to under tension. Even a heat gun didn't help enough to stretch it back, so I hand sewed (using a Speedy Stitcher) an extra strip of vinyl all the way across to give me a couple more inches to work with. Once the seat cushion is in place you can't see the repair. The pain in the butt part was making sure all the old staples or staple nibs were either pulled, punched out, or ground off with a dremel. A $25 air stapler was a life saver for all the staples, seems I went through about 2000-2200 staples for all the seats and it probably took me 20-30 hours for the back seat redo alone!

By the way if you need to replace any of the black perforated outer covering on the back seat, Home Depot sells some vinyl "Pet Screen" that looks the part and keeps it breathable.

I'd also like to get a depth finder, but luckily Center Hill gets deep quick. That said, I've personally bent a prop shaft/propeller in an inboard on Percy Priest (LOTS of shallow spots on that lake) and Old Hickory is also a place you need to be careful.

What depth finder did you go with?

jgraham37128
12-31-2013, 06:27 PM
Post some pics of your boat. Here's a pic of mine in case you see me on Center-Hill Lake.

GKinTN
01-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Wow, the colors on that are awesome! I'll be watching for that one at Center Hill.

I don't have many pics yet, but here is my '91 the day I got it 2 months ago. The cover didn't last the 10 hour drive home, but I have an Evolution cover on the way. It's in quite clean original condition, but it still had a few issues that turned out to be a bit more of a chore to correct than expected. That said I'm finally on the home stretch of getting it ready for spring. Currently missing the side PS190 decals but I might just run with it that way...

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y526/GKinTN/eIMG_4290_zps8b0613bf.jpg

Happy New Year!!!

jgraham37128
01-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Looks like it would be a good fit for the ski course on Center-Hill in the the cove next to Hidden Harbor.

TN Skier
01-02-2014, 02:23 PM
GK -

Yep it's the same boat...

I am settling into the idea of eventually getting a new Boatmate trailer, especially since they are made here in Tennessee. I keep on the lookout for used one until I have to pull the trigger on NEW.

When I linked up with the previous owner and his wife; they had VERY good records since purchasing it new, they were passionate about skiing and were unbelievably honest and nice. We still keep in touch and are making plans to visit this season on the water. They are very "stand-up" people. On the return trip home I was about 3/4 of the way and as fate would have it on an older trailer; I had a blowout (spare wasn't available). I called the PO seek advice on towing the boat and trailer, if I should have any special concerns to advise the wrecker company. The PO advised to stand by he was on the way; when he arrived, I stayed with boat and he took the spare rim and blowout wheel and returned with 2 new tires and paid for the road hazard protection to boot.

I will say that your trailer looks GREAT! If you happen to see an extra one somewhere; let me know...

...This is the only picture that I currently have. I have deleted the rest from my phone.

I do have some concerns about the waters of Old Hickory hence the current install of the Humminbird HDR 650...I want to link up with some of the Ski Club folks around here to get the lay of the land; about where to go and where not to go. The big goal this season is to get the wife and our daughter on the skis and begging to go OFTEN...We are to close to Old Hickory not to go; but we plan on visiting Tims Ford and Center Hill too.

GKinTN
01-02-2014, 04:23 PM
I talked with the seller of your boat two or three times and strongly considered buying it. Actually I also had a lead on a one owner near mint original '91 PS190 down near Atlanta and drove down to check it out, though in the end the owner of that one would not budge from a very expensive price... That said on my drive back from seeing that boat in Atlanta I called the owner of your boat to stop by and check it out (I had cash in hand) but by then you had already purchased it. The seller was still helpful and answered some questions I had on these boats in general.

From your pic you wouldn't even think there were any concerns on the trailer it still looks decent.

I just noticed a difference in the side stripes between the '91 and '92. The '91 is simply striping tape overlapped at the end to make the curve, where as the '92 appears to have more of a shaped decal that get's noticeably wider near the back. There is also a slight difference in the dash panels judging from others I've seen.

Quite admirable the seller went the extra mile (pun intended) and helped you on tires after the fact!

Yep you need to be really careful on Old Hickory and Percy Priest, but your depth finder should surely help to be on the look out. I've personally seen folks on Percy Priest have very bad days. One day I saw a boat stopped in the middle of a cove channel perhaps 100' from shore on either side. He was outside of his boat wading in about 2' of water wonder what he had just hit... I had a bad day on Percy near the southern end marina dock, at about my 2nd year of boating there this was in my prior boat not my '91. Anyway I had strayed about 10'-15' downwind of the dock that was right next to the put in ramp, and I was maybe 15-20' from shore turning around but I snagged my inboard prop on a rock. Even at idle it stopped the engine cold and bent the prop and shaft. $1100 later I was back and running. Anyway I had assumed more of the Marina/put in area was dredged out then it was... That said, Center Hill is consistently much deeper but you still have to be careful everywhere!

BigOrange
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Good looking setups. I am a wakeboarder instead of a skier but it's good to see so many in the area willing to work on their boats. I ride on Tim's and lesser at Center Hill and am based in the Boro. Currently seeking to become a x45 owner. Will be selling current Monterey deck boat this spring. Let me know if anyone ever needs a third for pulls or gas, etc.

TN Skier
01-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I talked with the seller of your boat two or three times and strongly considered buying it. Actually I also had a lead on a one owner near mint original '91 PS190 down near Atlanta and drove down to check it out, though in the end the owner of that one would not budge from a very expensive price... That said on my drive back from seeing that boat in Atlanta I called the owner of your boat to stop by and check it out (I had cash in hand) but by then you had already purchased it. The seller was still helpful and answered some questions I had on these boats in general.

From your pic you wouldn't even think there were any concerns on the trailer it still looks decent.

I just noticed a difference in the side stripes between the '91 and '92. The '91 is simply a striping tape, where as the '92 appears to have more of a shaped decal that get's noticeably wider near the back. There is also a slight difference in the dash panels judging from others I've seen.

Quite admirable the seller went the extra mile (pun intended) and helped you on tires after the fact!

Sorry to have bought it out from under you...pleased with what we got though...for the boat and the price; I overlooked the needs of the trailer Hard to ski behind a good looking trailer. If things get to out of hand with the trailer before we locate/buy another one; our intent is to dry storage locally until we get the trailer replaced.

Once the Humminbird install is completed I will post some new dash pictures...I have a very kind TT member helping make me a new dash blank to fit where my storage compartment is next to the steering column.

jgraham37128
01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
If you hit bottom on Center-Hill it means you've ran it a ground! Very Deep lake.

Tim's Ford is a great lake too. Not as deep but really no problems with hitting bottom either. I boat at both. I grew up on Tim's Ford and never hit anything under the water.

jgraham37128
01-02-2014, 07:25 PM
I'll give you Nashville guys some advice. You can store a boat for $90.00 a month at either Center-Hill or Tim's Ford. I used to haul my boats back and forth but when i got this new boat I didn't have room for it at home. I rented a storage unit and loved it. Being able to pull out of the water and haul a couple of miles to put up without packing everything to make sure it doesn't blow out, makes the trip so much nicer plus not all the hard miles pulling a trailer and boat.

I now keep mine on a lift in a closed slip thru the summer, but only because I go at least once a week in the summer. I rarely miss a weekend. If I averaged three weekends a month i would go back to the storage unit full time. I turned my buddy on to the storage idea this year and he said he would never haul it back and forth from Nashville again.

Just a little food for thought!

TN Skier
01-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Graham -

Is that a private party you are going through on the covered slip/lift situation or are there some public facilities available?

jgraham37128
01-02-2014, 07:39 PM
TN Skier sent you a PM.

GKinTN
01-02-2014, 09:11 PM
I checked out 4 different boat storage facilities out near Center Hill before I bought my boat, and the ramps closest to each facility. I ended up going with a place that was $110 month to month (or $1200 year) and I had to wait a month or so for an opening to come up. I also found a place that was cheaper but I'm glad I went with the one I did. I've never gone the "boat storage" route before, but I really like the concept. Yep, it meant that I was committing to Center Hill for the most part (and the 70 mile drive each way from the house) but it is my favorite lake for sure.

TN Skier
01-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up! This will certainly be a year of exploring our favorite spots and what works best with our location....Hope to see you guys on the water some.